English Advance!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This week's video news #4 (complete assignment online by Thursday April 10)

+33
Yoobin Cha
Boyun Park
eunjin39
Lee Hye Jin
Kim Hyunjin
kurt
Ji Young, Kim
jihyun
Kim Eun-jung
Mijin Son
Ji-eun
Kang Eunmi
bobosbong
Kyeong-im
Mi Jin Jeong
sunnypine
Nam-suk
jangdj
billy
kiera
Joo Un-jin
bakbann
Lee Pilsu
Han Kyoung Jae
Bae Sung-han
Lee yujin
Jung Yoojin
Oksun
Kim Jin-Young
Liz
inmyheart479
kim young-ah
Jason Renshaw
37 posters

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

This week's video news #4 (complete assignment online by Thursday April 10) Empty This week's video news #4 (complete assignment online by Thursday April 10)

Post  Jason Renshaw Thu Apr 03 2008, 13:26

Hi students,

Please see this week's video news articles below. The format is slightly different this time (no pre-reading provided!), and what you are asked to do in response is also somewhat different. Please look carefully at the assignment instructions following the videos...

Choose one of the news reports above and:

1) Provide a brief summary of its content
2) Give your general opinion in response to it
3) Make one prediction in response to the article content, and explain why you think your prediction is a rational one

4) Follow up/collaboration: Give as much feedback and comments as you can to your classmates for both their postings here, and the opinions and predictions they made for last week's news (Video News # 3) articles as well.

You can also continue to improve your participation score by providing more comments and feedback on the Twisty Turny stories we did in class on March 27...

Good luck with it!

~ Jason

Jason Renshaw
Jason Renshaw
Admin
Admin

http://onlinEnglish.net

Back to top Go down

This week's video news #4 (complete assignment online by Thursday April 10) Empty the 1st video news :cherry blossom festival in D.C.

Post  kim young-ah Fri Apr 04 2008, 20:02

summary: There is the annual cherry blossom festival in Washingto D.C. To see the show, nearly a million visitors rush and they are attracted. Some people visit here for the first time and others do second time. And many flowers are an official sign that spring has come. In spite of cold weather, many people enjoy the 3000 cherry trees that Japan gave in 1912. It also marks a growing friendship between U.S. and Japan.

I'm of the opinion that many people enjoy cherry blossoms all over the world in spring. We Korea also have a Jin-hae(city) cherry blossom festival in April like the capital of U.S. But I'm sorry the cherry trees are Japanese national thing. Even if the blossoms are beautiful and we enjoy taking pictures under the trees.

My prediction is that Japan will be growing the friendship between U.S. and the nation, using the gift the cherry trees. In the future including nowadays, U.S. can accept Japan its friend rather than a rival. Relatively, the status of our country Korea will be down. Very sad. I think Japan takes a good advantage of its good things.
kim young-ah
kim young-ah
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

This week's video news #4 (complete assignment online by Thursday April 10) Empty You've got a point.

Post  inmyheart479 Sat Apr 05 2008, 03:26

kim young-ah wrote:summary: There is the annual cherry blossom festival in Washingto D.C. To see the show, nearly a million visitors rush and they are attracted. Some people visit here for the first time and others do second time. And many flowers are an official sign that spring has come. In spite of cold weather, many people enjoy the 3000 cherry trees that Japan gave in 1912. It also marks a growing friendship between U.S. and Japan.

I'm of the opinion that many people enjoy cherry blossoms all over the world in spring. We Korea also have a Jin-hae(city) cherry blossom festival in April like the capital of U.S. But I'm sorry the cherry trees are Japanese national thing. Even if the blossoms are beautiful and we enjoy taking pictures under the trees.

My prediction is that Japan will be growing the friendship between U.S. and the nation, using the gift the cherry trees. In the future including nowadays, U.S. can accept Japan its friend rather than a rival. Relatively, the status of our country Korea will be down. Very sad. I think Japan takes a good advantage of its good things.

Hi Young-ah. I think you've expressed and rationalized your opinion very well.
You've made a good point on that Japan will be growing the friendship with the Untited States. This reminds me of the time when the United States used sport ( I can't come to think of what sport it was) as a political instrument during the Cold War, and the music, when New York Philharmonic performed in Pyongyang, North Korea. These might be good examples of a political involvement in art, spots, etc.

Last edited by inmyheart479 on Wed Apr 16 2008, 19:13; edited 1 time in total
inmyheart479
inmyheart479
Flyer
Flyer

Back to top Go down

This week's video news #4 (complete assignment online by Thursday April 10) Empty Cherry Blossom Festival in DC

Post  Liz Sat Apr 05 2008, 09:21

summary : Every year, nearly million visitors came to washington, D.C. to celebrate cherry blossom festival and those 3,000 cherry trees were present from Japan at 1912. opinion : It's wonderful to see that many people in the United States love to go on a picnic under the cherry blossoms. They felt happy to see them and recognized them as the beginning of the spring. So I'm of the opinion that there should be more places for enjoying the cherry blossom.
prediction : My prediction is that the friendship between two countries will be kept solid and strong as long as the cherry trees blossom. It was a gift from Japan to the United States as a symbol of their friendship and whenever people watch the cherry blossom, they will always be reminded of that whether they like it or not.
Liz
Liz
Flyer
Flyer

Back to top Go down

This week's video news #4 (complete assignment online by Thursday April 10) Empty Cherry Blossom Festival in DC

Post  Kim Jin-Young Sat Apr 05 2008, 19:28

(summary)
The Washington D.C, the capital of U.S ,has the cherry blossom festival which is annually held. Organizers say that nearly millions of visitors come to the Tidal Basin while cherry blossoms reach their peak through April 4th. The presence of 3000 pink blossom trees originates from Japan's gift to make friendly relation between two nations, Japan and U.S.

(opinion)
I'm of the opinion that those pink trees play an essential role in attracting quite a few people, even from overseas. Actually, a variety of cherry blossom festivals are annually held in Korea as well. However I sometimes wonder if these events in Korea is righteous, because our ancestors suffered from Japanese's atrocious violences and undeserved suppressions during about half of one century. I also think that Japan once appointed the U.S as a target during the World War Ⅱ. It's somewhat irony that two nations, Korea and the U.S, give a welcome to cherry blossoms, known as the Japan's national flower. I want to emphasize the point, the Japanese flower.
Also, we should know its background, so to speak, the reason why the gift was given to the U.S. What for? The Washington Post introduces the unknown history of cherry blossoms with the headline 'Behind the Beauty'. In 1905 Japan made a gift of cherry trees as a token of grabbing sovereignty over Korea from the U.S. This absurd agreement is known as The Katsura-Taft Agreement.

(prediction)
My prediction is that this event just like a kind of admiration of cherry blossom's beauty will be booming. In other ways, enjoying cherry blossom's beauty such as sweet smell and all white color is a good way to get rid of much stress. However, while enjoying many beautiful scenes, we should be aware that the U.S gave the permission for Japan to legally colonize Korea.
It is also likely that favorable relationship between the U.S and Japan will last thanks to cherry blossom trees which are not main factor to keep up the relationship, but a kind of flattery. For example, in 1988 Japan finally made it as to visa waiver. In contrast, we have failed to deal with it until now. cherry
Kim Jin-Young
Kim Jin-Young
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

This week's video news #4 (complete assignment online by Thursday April 10) Empty enjoyed to read your writing..

Post  Kim Jin-Young Sun Apr 06 2008, 13:23

kim young-ah wrote:summary: There is the annual cherry blossom festival in Washingto D.C. To see the show, nearly a million visitors rush and they are attracted. Some people visit here for the first time and others do second time. And many flowers are an official sign that spring has come. In spite of cold weather, many people enjoy the 3000 cherry trees that Japan gave in 1912. It also marks a growing friendship between U.S. and Japan.

Like me, Young-Ah chose this topic to show her own prediction and opinion as well.
I agree with your prediction as for making relationships by using something.
I walked around school to enjoy cherry blossoms and read a couple of articles that said that cherry blossems reached their peak this weekend.
Also I hope that Korea will build up a good relationship with the U.S

I really enjoyed reading it!

Last edited by Kim Jin-Young on Sun Apr 06 2008, 18:05; edited 2 times in total
Kim Jin-Young
Kim Jin-Young
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

This week's video news #4 (complete assignment online by Thursday April 10) Empty Cherry Blossoms Festival in D.C.

Post  Oksun Sun Apr 06 2008, 17:42

Idea Summary : Big crowds are drawn toward the City's tidal basin, with annual cherry blossoms festival starting in Washington D.C. Three thousands cherry trees, which were Japan's 1912 gift to the United States, are to reach their peak through April 3rd.

Exclamation Opinion: When Korea was under Japanese imperialism, Japan planted many cherry trees all over the country to mark its domination over Korea. Despite vestiges of Japanese imperialism , we descendants enjoy the cherry blossoms,especially in Jinhae,every year. I'm of the opinion that the case is almost the same with the States. Japan gave 3000 cherry trees to the U.S. in 1912 as a token of friendship. However, 28years later, it provoked the World War two by attacking on Pearl Harbor. With all the suffering from the War, many Americans and people from the world enjoy and feel awesome at the splendid, spectacular cherry blossoms ! Japanese national flower in Washington D.C.? I take this to be historically ironical.

Question prediction: My prediction is that, the U.S. will try to maintain and consolidate the relations between two countries with its cherry blossoms festival held every year. This is because the United States wants to position itself as the world's "Only Superpower". In terms of promoting the national interests, the U.S. benefits from the festival as well.

Last edited by Oksun on Tue Apr 08 2008, 11:55; edited 1 time in total
Oksun
Oksun
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

This week's video news #4 (complete assignment online by Thursday April 10) Empty Cherry Blossom in Washington DC

Post  Jung Yoojin Sun Apr 06 2008, 20:25

Summary :
There is an annual festival of cherry blossom in Washington DC in United States. People are visiting there for tourism. The National Park is expecting millions visitors are coming. These three thousand of trees are planted to commemorate the friendship with Japan and United States. The officials are signing the peak point at April third, and these cherry blossom shows spring come out in United States.

General Opinion :
As the news says, there are cherry blossoms prevalent in Washington DC. This means Spring is coming and nearly arrived. As you can see, there are lots of cherry blossom which already bloomed in Daegu. Why don't you take a walk in KNU ? That would be fantastic! Whenever I saw cherry blossoms in KNU, I think those have such a beaty and nice smell. Cherry blossoms express Japanese national flowers, and they remind me our national flowers "The Althea." Sometimes I can hardly find them in the street and around schools whereas cherry blossoms can.

Prediction :
The cherry blossom festival advertise all over the world and many tourists are going there. And Washington DC congress utilize this place for their tourism, then it become a national business yeilding benifits. Then the festival become imminent commemoration in Japan and United States. Because visitors tend to visit some prominent places with their tastes. Washington DC is the capital of Unitied States, that means there are lots of people who are droping in for either their business or travels. Then congress can make a benefit from its circumstances, that is why cherry blossom can be used for tourism business in Washington DC.
Jung Yoojin
Jung Yoojin
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

This week's video news #4 (complete assignment online by Thursday April 10) Empty Re: This week's video news #4 (complete assignment online by Thursday April 10)

Post  Jung Yoojin Sun Apr 06 2008, 20:38

Kim Jin-Young wrote:(summary)
The Washington D.C, the capital of U.S ,has the cherry blossom festival which is annually held. Organizers say that nearly millions of visitors come to the Tidal Basin while cherry blossoms reach their peak through April 4th. The presence of 3000 pink blossom trees originates from Japan's gift to make friendly relation between two nations, Japan and U.S.

(opinion)
I'm of the opinion that those pink trees play an essential role in attracting quite a few people, even from overseas. Actually, a variety of cherry blossom festivals are annually held in Korea as well. However I sometimes wonder if these events in Korea is righteous, because our ancestors suffered from Japanese's atrocious violences and undeserved suppressions during about half of one century. I also think that Japan once appointed the U.S as a target during the World War Ⅱ. It's somewhat irony that two nations, Korea and the U.S, give a welcome to cherry blossoms, known as the Japan's national flower. I want to emphasize the point, the Japanese flower.
Also, we should know its background, so to speak, the reason why the gift was given to the U.S. What for? The Washington Post introduces the unknown history of cherry blossoms with the headline 'Behind the Beauty'. In 1905 Japan made a gift of cherry trees as a token of grabbing sovereignty over Korea from the U.S. This absurd agreement is known as The Katsura-Taft Agreement.

(prediction)
My prediction is that this event just like a kind of admiration of cherry blossom's beauty will be booming. In other ways, enjoying cherry blossom's beauty such as sweet smell and all white color is a good way to get rid of much stress. However, while enjoying many beautiful scenes, we should be aware that the U.S gave the permission for Japan to legally colonize Korea.
It is also likely that favorable relationship between the U.S and Japan will last thanks to cherry blossom trees which are not main factor to keep up the relationship, but a kind of flattery. For example, in 1988 Japan finally made it as to visa waiver. In contrast, we have failed to deal with it until now. cherry

Oh Jinyoung~ I am very impressed with your opinion. I also thought cherry blossoms are Japanese flowers. I feel sad as well when I get to know Japanese people planted pink trees for representing their conquered area. But I think it is a little bit unreasonable to consider them only as Japanese flowers. It is true history but we would be better not to have animosity against Japan. Razz And I could share lots of infromation from your opinion.^^
Jung Yoojin
Jung Yoojin
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

This week's video news #4 (complete assignment online by Thursday April 10) Empty Second Video concerned with U.S Recession

Post  Lee yujin Mon Apr 07 2008, 07:00

Summary
Bernake said U.S economy will get wores the first half of this year before it will get better.
Probably the second half of the year the economy will be picked up by the stablization of the interest rates and housing.

Opinion
Nowday U.S have gone through the difficult time since the submorgage problem broke out.
Also bacause of the economic crisis of this most powerful country, the whole world seem to face with difficult time. Iim of the opinion that U.S should do take action on this crisis as soon as possible and as wiesly as possible.
Because this cisis would not be limitied to U.S. Since the pirice of oil and grain has been soaring, many poor country is suffering from femine and poverty. I even read the article that said Haiti people lived on the dust because of the high price of the food.

Prediction
As Bernake said this crisis could be extended before the recovery. It needs more time to deal with complcated problems on housing and loan interest rates. But I hope U.S economy will get better soon.
Lee yujin
Lee yujin
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

This week's video news #4 (complete assignment online by Thursday April 10) Empty I enjoyed your opinion and prediction, too

Post  kim young-ah Mon Apr 07 2008, 19:58

This spring has come with the pinky cherry blossoms around here, our campus even though they are shedding their flowers because of the rain, oldness^^ and so on.
Anyway I enjoyed the pinky avenue driving into the campus whenever I came here to attend the class.
And I agree with your reply, too. I think, in the video news, the peak was April 3rd not 4th, I'm sorry to say so. What do you think of it? ^^

Kim Jin-Young wrote:

Like me, Young-Ah chose this topic to show her own prediction and opinion as well.
I agree with your prediction as for making relationships by using something.
I walked around school to enjoy cherry blossoms and read a couple of articles that said that cherry blossems reached their peak this weekend.
Also I hope that Korea will build up a good relationship with the U.S

I really enjoyed reading it!
kim young-ah
kim young-ah
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

Post  Bae Sung-han Tue Apr 08 2008, 07:50

Summary
There was an annual cherry blossom festival in DC, which was sent by Japan as a friendship between both countries. Million visitors were expected to join the show. And though it was cold, many people enjoyed to visit there.

General opinion
Seeing fully blossoms always makes me happy and smiling, which, I think, is one of our instincts. The news mentioned about why DC has got the beautiful flowers in the street. Japan gave them to US as a friendship, which was a gift of 1912. Giving a bunch of flowers to others is so awesome that I'd like to have the experience with loving others. As a matter of fact, my family including with my baby, of course, visited Kyongju yesterday to see the cherry flowers. But on arriving there, we realised that it was still cold in that area and also it wasn't good weather though, so we couldn't get my daughter out of the car an inch. We just drove around the region.

Prediction
The number of visitors to DC will be getting risen a year after a year due to the fully open flowers. Everyone loves them, and seeing them we can have a good relationship with each other, particularly between family members. It will be a good idea seding flower plants to other countries which have a bad relationship like Japan did to US, whatsoever.
Bae Sung-han
Bae Sung-han
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

This week's video news #4 (complete assignment online by Thursday April 10) Empty Re: This week's video news #4 (complete assignment online by Thursday April 10)

Post  Bae Sung-han Tue Apr 08 2008, 09:52

Lee yujin wrote:Summary
Bernake said U.S economy will get wores the first half of this year before it will get better.
Probably the second half of the year the economy will be picked up by the stablization of the interest rates and housing.

Opinion
Nowday U.S have gone through the difficult time since the submorgage problem broke out.
Also bacause of the economic crisis of this most powerful country, the whole world seem to face with difficult time. Iim of the opinion that U.S should do take action on this crisis as soon as possible and as wiesly as possible.
Because this cisis would not be limitied to U.S. Since the pirice of oil and grain has been soaring, many poor country is suffering from femine and poverty. I even read the article that said Haiti people lived on the dust because of the high price of the food.

Prediction
As Bernake said this crisis could be extended before the recovery. It needs more time to deal with complcated problems on housing and loan interest rates. But I hope U.S economy will get better soon.

Frankly to say, econoic story is the toughest one for me to read and listen. But you did a fantastic job though.
And there is one thing I'd like to add. I am so worried about that our economic crisis is deteriorating, with the US's getting worse.
Anyway, I'll see you tonight. flower
Bae Sung-han
Bae Sung-han
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

This week's video news #4 (complete assignment online by Thursday April 10) Empty Cherry blossom festival in D.C

Post  Han Kyoung Jae Tue Apr 08 2008, 10:54

Summary - There are millions of visitors who come to see and enjoy cherry blossom festival in capital of U.S.A, Washington D.C. Cherry blossom means that the spring has come despite the cold weather. To make strong relationship between Japan and U.S.A, Japan gave the cherry trees U.S.A in 1912.

opinion - Do you know there are many sorts of flower festivals like cherry blossom festival in Korea? Yes, the flower festivals represent that spring has come. Also many people enjoying the festivlas appreciate the gift of nature and feel refreshed. Many kinds of different festivals held in distict seasons play an important role in people's preparation to coming new season. From time to time some people ,especially women feel depressed in spring, but if they enjoy the flower festivals and take a walk in the pinky park, they feel refreshed and feel better. But, as Korean I always feel gloomy whenever I look at the cherry trees. Because, cherry trees are national trees of Japan and they planted them in Korea as a symbol of colony of Japan. However, I'm of the opinion that that kinds of flower festivals must flourish more and many people around the world can enjoy the beautiful, spectacular scenery and fresh air.

prediction - My prediction is that the outgoing and friendly relationship between the two countries may be getting stronger through the festival and cultural exchanges. Although in the past time Japan caused many terrible wars and had a terrible relationship with U.S.A., nowadays the two countries have a good relationship in many parts such as political, economical, and cultural parts. The much more cultural and other exchages they have, the stronger relationship they have. Through this kind of way, both U.S.A and Japan will take advantage and have even more power in the international political and economical situation. And they will interchange many other things including cultural, educational, and military aspects. In addition, U.S.A will be a more popular sightseeing resort. Through the flower festival, not only Washington but also many other cities in U.S.A will get more tourists in spring.

Last edited by Han Kyoung Jae on Tue Apr 08 2008, 11:08; edited 2 times in total
Han Kyoung Jae
Han Kyoung Jae
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

This week's video news #4 (complete assignment online by Thursday April 10) Empty I enjoyed your opinion and prediction

Post  Han Kyoung Jae Tue Apr 08 2008, 11:01

Oksun wrote:Idea Summary : Big crowds are drawn toward the City's tidal basin, with annual cherry blossoms festival starting in Washington D.C. Three thousands cherry trees, which were Japan's 1912 gift to the United States, are to reach their peak through April 3rd.

Exclamation Opinion: When Korea was under Japanese imperialism, Japan planted many cherry trees all over the country to mark its domination over Korea. Despite vestiges of Japanese imperialism , we descendants enjoy the cherry blossoms,especially in Jinhae,every year. I'm of the opinion that the case is almost the same with the States. Japan gave 3000 cherry trees to the U.S. in 1912 as token of friendship. However, 28years later, it provoked the World War two by attacking on Pearl Harbor. With all the suffering from the War, many Americans and people from the world enjoy and feel awesome at the splendid, spectacular cherry blossoms ! Japanese national flower in Washington D.C.? I take this to be historically ironical.

Question prediction: My prediction is that, the U.S. will try to maintain and consolidate the relations between two countries with its cherry blossoms festival held every year. This is because the United States wants to position itself as the world's "Only Superpower". In terms of promoting the national interests, the U.S. benefits from the festival as well.

Your opinion and prediction reminds me that cherry trees are Japanese flower. Whenever I look at the trees, I think it's beautiful and I also think that we were a colony country of Japan. It sometimes makes me feel depressed. Japanese national flower in Washington D.C? It's a good point. I couldn't agree with you more.
Han Kyoung Jae
Han Kyoung Jae
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

This week's video news #4 (complete assignment online by Thursday April 10) Empty #3 Video: Bernanke says Recession Possible

Post  Lee Pilsu Tue Apr 08 2008, 17:28

Summary: Federal Reserve Chairman, Bernanke, made a short announcement about the (U.S.) economy before the Congress panel. He said that the economy will be bad and could even contract in the first half of this year, but it will change for the better in the second half of the year due to interest rate cuts, financial and housing market woes disappears and some other reasons. It is reported that if it had not been for the emergency funds, the financial market could have turned into a chatic situation.

Opinion: To be honest, I don't have any personal opinion on this news article because I don't know much about economy. But one thing that I noticed was that his presence and his remarks should carry a significant and powerful meaning because he was surrounded by scores of cameramen and U.S. Congress panels.

Prediction: My prediction is that Korean economy will suffer in the first half of this year and will pick up in the second half because I heard Korean economy is influenced a lot by the United States'.
Lee Pilsu
Lee Pilsu
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

This week's video news #4 (complete assignment online by Thursday April 10) Empty Cherry Blossom Festival in Washington D.C.

Post  bakbann Tue Apr 08 2008, 21:19

Summary
Annual Cherry Blossom Festival has started in Washington D.C. The festival is expected to draw about a million of people to this beautiful flowery heaven. It is to commemorate the gift, 3000 cherry trees, from Japan as a token of growing friendship between US and Japan.

Opinion
I'm of the opinion that Japan is great at spreading its culture and making foreigners Japan-friendly. Japanese culture is loved all over the world, including these beautiful cherry blossoms and Japanese animation. People even in Washington D.C, which is thousands miles away from Japan, are enjoying the beauty and fragrance of the cherry blossoms. They'll go back home with better attitudes on Japan unconsciously thanks to the charm of cherry blossoms. All in all, Japan lets foreigners know about itself and makes them like it.

Prediction
My prediction is that Cherry Blossom Festival in Washington D.C. will maintain its popularity. Cherry blossoms are charming enough to attract myriads of people out in this beautiful and warm spring weather. It can make anyone feel great when they walk between dazzling lines of pink trees with fully blown flowers and with sweet smell. Therefore, numerous people will keep visiting Cherry Blossom Festival in Washington D.C. flower
bakbann
bakbann
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

Post  bakbann Tue Apr 08 2008, 21:22

Lee yujin wrote:Summary

Opinion

Prediction

I agree that economic turmoil in US will continue for a while. The Fed has been trying to normalize Aemerican economy since submortgage brought a huge economic crisis. However, none of its efforts paid off. It seems hard to improve the situation.
bakbann
bakbann
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

This week's video news #4 (complete assignment online by Thursday April 10) Empty The Second Report

Post  Joo Un-jin Wed Apr 09 2008, 07:14

summary: This report is composed of six ones. The first is about James Bond's villain. But it's too sorry that I can't understand it. The second is about George Clooney's gradual change from an actor to a movie director. The third one is about Madonna's trip to Malawi, the southern African country. Maybe she will do something there for adopting a local baby, who has been lived with her since 2006. The fourth one is about Celine Dion's adjusting schedules. The last one is about Beyonce and her fiance, between whom a wedding plan is made including filling out a marriage license.

opinion: I hope that George Clooney will be successful as a director. His much experience as an actor will be helpful a lot. Also there are many actors who succeeded as directors. But I want to see him on the screen often. I don't want to lose chances to see the most attractive man in the world. And my opinion about Madonna's adopting an African baby is that it's very good. People in Western countries think optimistic about adoption. They don't stick to 'the same blood.' I think it's so logical that we should learn something about that. In Korea, prejudice about adoption has changed a little. I hope this continues. But I think adoption by stars can be misused. They can do that to advertise or promote themselves. Sometimes they are trying to appeal themselves to people by showing their good behavior. Rolling Eyes

prediction: My prediction is that people will pay much attention to Beyonce's wedding. She is a super star enough to catch the eyes of people all over the world. All the medias and even paparazzi will follow her. They will go wherever she goes and pay too much attention to her life including her wedding. We can know well in my house about her wedding, pregnance, babies and all her private life.
Joo Un-jin
Joo Un-jin
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

This week's video news #4 (complete assignment online by Thursday April 10) Empty I agree with your opinion.

Post  Joo Un-jin Wed Apr 09 2008, 07:31

I read your writing well and wholly agree with you.
Knowing the sad history and Japanese greed, it is difficult to enjoy the beautiful scenery of cherry blossom.
We know that although Japanese smile, no one knows what they are thinking. I feel that cheery blossoms are really similiar to Japanese characteristics.

Kim Jin-Young wrote:(summary)

(opinion)

(prediction)
Joo Un-jin
Joo Un-jin
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

This week's video news #4 (complete assignment online by Thursday April 10) Empty News on the USA Economy

Post  kiera Wed Apr 09 2008, 09:59

Summary : The chairman of FRB, Ben Bernanke said the economic condition of the USA has been contracted in the first half of the year and might become worse unless the government do something to increase the domestic product growth. He also expected that the US economic activity will be strengthen in the year of 2009 thanks to the certain actions such as aggressive interest rate cut.

Opinion : I think that the financial woes of the USA is closely related to the world economy, of course Korea's, too. And I also get a tip for the appropriate investment from the corruption of Bank Bearstearns. That is "Too much is as bad as too little."

Prediction : My prediction is that recession of the US economy won't get better easily because of economical crisis such as soaring oil price, unemployment, and burden of the war expense.
kiera
kiera
Mover
Mover

Back to top Go down

This week's video news #4 (complete assignment online by Thursday April 10) Empty Bernanke's wishful thinking!

Post  billy Wed Apr 09 2008, 10:07

Summary: FRB chairman Ben Bernanke expects the US economy will stay at its current level or even may contract a little, but it will pick up in the 2nd half of the year as a result of aggressive interest rate cuts and stabilization of financial conditions and housing market.

Opinion: Bernanke told before congress that the US ecoonomy will improve in the 2nd half of the year 2008 even though it may retract a little from its already troubled state. However, I am of the opinion that the US economic president Bernanke's prediction is a little dangerous and biased. When the economic concerns resulting from the so-called subprime mortagage loan started to arise last year, many financial newspapers and investment companies reported that no one would be able to predict the impact it might have on the world economy, let alone the USA. Some financial experts expected that its economic loss might be more than the staggerting 500 billion dollars and the US government is reported to have put in 150 billion dollars as only an emergency measure. That is, as no one expected the strongest country would ever experience this economic fallout, any quick-tempered prediction may play havoc with the sign of recovery.

Prediction and 'Why': My prediction is that even though there is a little bit of good sign that the economy will get back on its right track such as seemingly stabilized gold and oil price and stock market, we must not come to any hasty conclusion that the US economy will pick up sooner or later. You may have heard about the so-called Butterfly Effect, which means a little flapping of one butterfly in Beijing could end up with a devastating tornado in the US. It looks like the direction may turn backward this time from the US to the rest of the world. As the NYSE market tumbled down, the world stock market indexes were shaking as well. The world economy is already too connected to underestimate the financial impact of the giant market. For now, we have to wait and see.

Last edited by billy on Wed Apr 09 2008, 14:59; edited 2 times in total
billy
billy
Flyer
Flyer

Back to top Go down

Post  kiera Wed Apr 09 2008, 10:34

billy wrote:Summary: FRB chairman Ben Bernanke expects the US economy will stay at its current level or even may contract a little, but it will pick up in the 2nd half of the year as a result of aggressive interest rate cuts and stabilization of financial conditions and housing market.

Opinion: Bernanke told before congress that the US ecoonomy will improve in the 2nd half of the year 2008 even though it may retract a little from its already troubled state. However, I am of the opinion that the US economic president Bernanke's prediction is a little dangerous and biased. When the economic concerns resulting from the so-called subprime mortagage loan started to arise last year, many financial newspapers and investment companies reported that no one would be able to predict the impact it might have on the world economy, let alone the USA. Some financial experts expected that its economic loss might be more than the staggerting 500 billion dollars and the US government is reported to have put in 150 billion dollars as only an emergency measure. That is, as no one expects the strongest country would ever experience this economic fallout, any quick-tempered prediction may play havoc with the sign of recovery.

Prediction and 'Why': My prediction is that even though there is a little bit of good sign that the economy will get back on its right track such as seemingly stabilized gold and oil price and stock market, we must not come to any hasty conclusion that the US economy will pick up sooner or later. You may have heard about the so-called Butterfly Effect, which means a little flapping of one butterfly in Beijing could end up with a devastating tornado in the US. It looks like the direction may turn backward this time from the US to the rest of the world. As the New York Stock Earket tumbled down, the world stock market indexes were shaking as well. The world economy is already too connected to underestimate the financial impact of the giant market. For now, we have to wait and see.

I also think the US economy won't get back easily even though thae's a bit of good sign. And as you mentioned the Butterfly Effect, the recession has been affecting and will affect the world economy, I think.
kiera
kiera
Mover
Mover

Back to top Go down

Post  billy Wed Apr 09 2008, 15:10

I couldn't agree with you more, Pilsu! As the world economy is networked too much, the world stock market is also highly interrelated. Due to the time difference, the New York Stock Market closes earlier than that of South Korea. In one way or another, people here in Korea are influenced by the daily 'result' of NYSE. The stock market acts like an index to the future economic activity. Even though the stock indexes seem to be stablized, there are still too many uncertainties to believe in any rosy prospect. By the way, whenever i see you, Pilsu, i am reminded of myself around seven or eight years ago. Remember what i tell you yesterday, energy..!!!

Lee Pilsu wrote:Summary: Federal Reserve Chairman, Bernanke, made a short announcement about the (U.S.) economy before the Congress panel. He said that the economy will be bad and could even contract in the first half of this year, but it will change for the better in the second half of the year due to interest rate cuts, financial and housing market woes disappears and some other reasons. It is reported that if it had not been for the emergency funds, the financial market could have turned into a chatic situation.

Opinion: To be honest, I don't have any personal opinion on this news article because I don't know much about economy. But one thing that I noticed was that his presence and his remarks should carry a significant and powerful meaning because he was surrounded by scores of cameramen and U.S. Congress panels.

Prediction: My prediction is that Korean economy will suffer in the first half of this year and will pick up in the second half because I heard Korean economy is influenced a lot by the United States'.
billy
billy
Flyer
Flyer

Back to top Go down

This week's video news #4 (complete assignment online by Thursday April 10) Empty F.R.B Chairman Bernanke went to Capitol Hill to....

Post  jangdj Wed Apr 09 2008, 15:12

Sum: F.R.B chairman Bernake provided accounts on U.S.ecnomy. Saying that the economic downturn they facing will get worse before it gets better. Econmic growth could contract in first half of the year or grow not at all, he added. He said economy should pick up aggressive interest rate cut ,stimulate growth in the second half of the year. He added that F.R.B expects economy activities will be boosted in the second half of the year in part and as a result of stmulated monitoring in fiscal policies.

Opnion: I know this is not an area I claim to be an expert. However: I am being constantly told a economic big words from every sources. Based on that, I can tell two things. Something bad is going on and it is really touching my life. I have no solution but every reasons to tell how it is is touching my life. You would agree with that as long as you are not millonire.

Perdiction : Considering U.S. economy size, we won't see the instant impact wheteher it is good or otherwise,even FRB gives a shot to the arm to the U.S economy.
jangdj
jangdj
Mover
Mover

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next