English Advance!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Please give me your advice^^;

+2
AmyJun
Byung-keun Son
6 posters

Go down

Please give me your advice^^; Empty Please give me your advice^^;

Post  Byung-keun Son Sun Apr 06 2008, 14:33

General Objective
Help student talk about one's health and how to show their care to others

Specific Objectives
l Make students be able to speak their physical condition and feeling
l Learn how to comfort a friend who has suffered from illness

[Dialogue]
Target audiences: the intermediate level students at middle school
Setting: Two friends are talking about physical condition

Jane: Are you ok, David? I’m sorry to tell you but you look a little bit tired today.
David: No, I’m not fine. I got a bad cold since last weekend. And it’s getting worse and worse.
Jane: Did you go to hospital? It seems like your condition is more serious than I think.
David: Yes, I did. I got an injection and medicine but it hasn’t worked well so far.
Jane: I think you should tell it to our teacher and go back to home for a rest.
David: Well, I don’t want to miss the history class in the afternoon. Today we will cover a really important part, as you know.
Jane: Oh, come on. What are you talking about! You need to take a comfortable break other than that you can’t get over the cold soon. I will take a note and show you later!
David: Hmm, I see Thank you, Jane.
Jane: No problem. Hope you recover so soon!

[Noticing]

Play the dialogue above and after listening to it, ask students a few questions about the dialogue.

1. Why did Jane speak to David about his condition?
2. How does David answer to Jane’s question?
3. Did Jane worry about David’s condition? If so, how she show her concern to David?
4. What does Jane suggest David to do to recover his illness?
5. Why David was hesitated to talk about his illness to the teacher?
6. What and how they speak to each other at the end of conversation?

Pick up a student and ask my feeling and I will answer that I’m not good and practice the dialogue together with the student naturally.

Ask students get into pairs again and practice the dialogue as I did the above.

[Drill]

Jane: Are you ____, _____? I’m sorry to tell you but you look a little bit ____ today. (ok, name, tired)
David: No, I’m not _____. I got a _____ since ______.(fine, cold, last weekend)
Jane: Did you go to________? (hospital)
David: Well, I don’t want to _______ in the afternoon. (miss a history class)
Jane: You need to take a _____ other than that you can’t get over _____ soon.(break, cold)
Jane: No problem. Hope you _____ so soon! (recover)
1.Practice the above chorally with students
2.Ask students cover the parenthesis and try to speak the sentences above
3. If they have a difficulty in completing the sentences then ask them to see the parenthesis and read the sentences one more time

4. When they finish reading the sentences, I will show them a various name of illness and ask them to replace it with a cold. For example, a stomachache, toothache, headache. (I will just let my students use the other parts as it is to focus on learning the types of illness)

5. Practice the sentences above together but keep changing the illness words.

[Enunciation]

Sounds
Tell Well Will

Important About Note
Words
Bad Cold

Lit-tle To-day Sin-ce

In-jec-tion Con-di-tion
Sentences
Are you ok, David?
I got a bad cold since last weekend.
I got an injection and medicine but it hasn’t worked well so far.

1. Listen to a tape recorded by native speakers both man and women for students to able to get correct enunciation.

2. Then a teacher speaks the same materials by real voice and ask students listen and repeat them

3. Pick up one student and ask him to speak all and if there is a mistake ask him to keep speaking until he speak correctly(but a teacher have to give him a tip)

4. When students practice a sentence part of enunciation ask them to scream the stressed words to the ceiling
5. Divide students into a few groups and ask them to practice by themselves

6. Teacher should come by each group and correct them if they have a mistake

[Discourse]

(__)Jane: Did you go to hospital? It seems like your condition is more serious than I think.
(__)David: Well, I don’t want to miss the history class in the afternoon. Today we will cover a really important part, as you know.
(__)David: No, I’m not fine. I got a bad cold since last weekend. And it’s getting worse and worse.
(__)David: Hmm, I see Thank you, Jane.
(__)Jane: Are you ok, David? I’m sorry to tell you but you look a little bit tired today.
(__)David: Yes, I did. I got an injection and medicine but it hasn’t worked well so far.
(__)Jane: I think you should tell it to our teacher and go back to home for a rest.
(__)Jane: No problem. Hope you recover so soon!
(__)Jane: Oh, come on. What are you talking about! You need to take a comfortable break other than that you can’t get over the cold soon. I will take a note and show you later!
1. Ask students get into a pair and find a correct order of the above dialogue

2. It is important to let students know that they can refer to a main dialogue in previous page of text book.(I think it is ok to do this because the purpose of this activity is for students to understand how the conversation is processed)

3. If there is the pair who are done this, let them practice the dialogue.

4. Speak any sentence of dialogue randomly and ask students answer it.(The answer should be the very next sentence of questioned one.)

Last edited by Byung-keun Son on Sun Apr 06 2008, 19:50; edited 2 times in total
Byung-keun Son
Byung-keun Son
Mover
Mover

Back to top Go down

Please give me your advice^^; Empty Re: Please give me your advice^^;

Post  AmyJun Sun Apr 06 2008, 18:57

Hi ! Byungken. your outline seems neat and well organized.
but, why don't you read at first and make them repeat chorally on drill part? Because students might be confused to make a sentence without any practice. Surprised
It is my personal opinion, so I hope it will helpful to you~
AmyJun
AmyJun
Flyer
Flyer

Back to top Go down

Please give me your advice^^; Empty Ooops, Thank you for your advice.

Post  Byung-keun Son Sun Apr 06 2008, 19:39

Oh, I see, that's a very good point! Thank you so much for reading mine and giving me a good advice^^!
Have a good rest and I will see you at the class tomorrow!
Byung-keun Son
Byung-keun Son
Mover
Mover

Back to top Go down

Post  Kanghoon Jang Mon Apr 07 2008, 19:46

Oh, my lovely friend!

Everyone except me is really doing well about the outline. Yours is also pretty good.
I can't find any other things that you should change in good ways. However, other people already pointed out chaning things in yours. What a sensible person!
I hope that I can do that as time goes by. I also feel that mine is better than before! hahahahaha..
I just want to give myself compliments even though I should change some parts that I don't know yet in mine.

Let's share our ideas until ours should be perfect!

Best wishes,

Kanghoon
Kanghoon Jang
Kanghoon Jang
Superstar!
Superstar!

Back to top Go down

Please give me your advice^^; Empty I think...

Post  Choieunsok Mon Apr 07 2008, 20:31

I think most of parts is wonderful without noticing.
In my lesson outline, I focuse on noticing.
Before teacher teach a drill or discourse awareness, he should teach how to use that.
So. I put on some kinds of activities in the noticing.
But, nevermind, It's just my opinion. ^^
Choieunsok
Choieunsok
Mover
Mover

Back to top Go down

Please give me your advice^^; Empty I appreciate your advice, Choieunsok!

Post  Byung-keun Son Tue Apr 08 2008, 16:16

Yes, I think your opinion is right. Without having enough noticing, it may confuse students and they would have difficulty in following next steps. Well, I appreciate your opinion and I will apply it to my 5th lesson plan^^ Keep giving me a good advice fot the rest of semester!

And I also checked yours and it was pretty well-organized and you chose a good situational topic!!! Thanks again and enjoy your spring!
Byung-keun Son
Byung-keun Son
Mover
Mover

Back to top Go down

Please give me your advice^^; Empty Wow!

Post  David Sohn Tue Apr 08 2008, 18:35

I think you did a tremendously great job! What I see is that the whole lesson plan is logical and well-organized. The only thing that I want to point out is the discourse awareness section. Like you already mentioned above, your LP is intended for the intermediate junior high school students; and I think there are too many sentences for them to put them into orders. Hopefully, I believe your logical LP will be a catalyst on my next LP! THX!
David Sohn
David Sohn
Mover
Mover

Back to top Go down

Post  Jason Renshaw Wed Apr 16 2008, 10:31

Hi Byung-keun,

You've made a good start here and delivered some of our lesson principles very well. I certainly think your choice of topic and communication devices were very well thought-out. Where your lesson could fall down a little is in terms of:

1. Not enough detail in terms of your application in the classroom for the different parts;

2. Drills and discourse sections being too 'open', perhaps forcing the students to be highly productive with the language in great detail before they are really ready for it.

I hope those tips help!

Best wishes,

~ Jason

Jason Renshaw
Jason Renshaw
Admin
Admin

http://onlinEnglish.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content