English Advance!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Academic Writing Tips 4: Articles in English (A/An and The)

3 posters

Go down

Academic Writing Tips 4: Articles in English (A/An and The) Empty Academic Writing Tips 4: Articles in English (A/An and The)

Post  Jason Renshaw Sun Apr 06 2008, 18:49

At Ju-mi's specific request, I've found a very clear set of online guidelines for using articles in English (it's a different section of the same site I referenced earlier for punctuation tips: OWL - Online Writing Lab, at Purdue University):

http://owl.english.purdue.edu/handouts/esl/eslart.html

You can click on the link there to get a printer-friendly version for your notes, and there are also links there to practice exercises if you want to try them out and test your knowledge.

Mastering articles usage in English is notoriously difficult if you are a second language learner. There are so many categories and subcategories of rules, and so many exceptions to the rules... It truly is one of the areas of English grammar that takes the most time to master, and in fact many second language users never truly master all aspects of article usage.

Based on that, I wouldn't stress if you make occasional mistakes with articles, but at the same time I encourage you to improve your understanding and productive use of them. Some "experts" in Korea have stated that articles are not important at all, and don't influence communicative meaning. In some cases that can be true, but in other cases the specific use of articles can have a big impact on the exact meaning conveyed.

I hope you find the resource useful!

Best of luck,

~ Jason

Last edited by Jason Renshaw on Sun Apr 06 2008, 21:27; edited 1 time in total
Jason Renshaw
Jason Renshaw
Admin
Admin

http://onlinEnglish.net

Back to top Go down

Academic Writing Tips 4: Articles in English (A/An and The) Empty Re: Academic Writing Tips 4: Articles in English (A/An and The)

Post  Ju-mi,Im Sun Apr 06 2008, 21:25

Thank you, Jason! Very Happy
Ju-mi,Im
Ju-mi,Im
Flyer
Flyer

Back to top Go down

Academic Writing Tips 4: Articles in English (A/An and The) Empty ah,

Post  Eunsil Mon Apr 07 2008, 16:44

Article usage is one of the biggest problems when I write.
Really helpful! Very Happy
Eunsil
Eunsil
Mover
Mover

Back to top Go down

Academic Writing Tips 4: Articles in English (A/An and The) Empty Re: Academic Writing Tips 4: Articles in English (A/An and The)

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down