English Advance!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Teacher Tips and Teachniques (New section at Liz's suggestion!)

+11
Han Kyoung Jae
Joo Un-jin
Hyo-Jin Kim
Boyun Park
Kang Eunmi
choi Eun sil
Liz
Mi Jin Jeong
sunnypine
inmyheart479
Jason Renshaw
15 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Teacher Tips and Teachniques (New section at Liz's suggestion!) - Page 2 Empty On reflection.....

Post  Kim Hyunjin Fri May 16 2008, 15:06

In excuse of my busy day, I have just check the news video and my assignments in this website. But today I look around all over this site,
I found there are so many useful materials for teaching and education and regret that I had not known that before.
Thanks for so many useful website. I tell you one good site for elementart schoolers and I tell you more if I find very useful site.

www.enchanted.com
Kim Hyunjin
Kim Hyunjin
Flyer
Flyer

Back to top Go down

Teacher Tips and Teachniques (New section at Liz's suggestion!) - Page 2 Empty Re: Teacher Tips and Teachniques (New section at Liz's suggestion!)

Post  Bae Sung-han Fri May 23 2008, 05:30

I was looking around the forum because I would like to know what I did including others' work. Some of you say that it is not the time for me to do because the spring semester hasn't yet finished. Yeah, I know you're right, but before it's done, I think I need more energy or passion to burng the last part of this semester.
I realized that I didn't give any comment to Liz who gave us a useful information.
Thank you for your offering, especailly first address.
It will be so helpful for me to use it in class as a make-up-for lessons during the summer holiday.
Although tt is getting hot nowadays, many people around me got a cold.
Keep yourself tight with your blanket at night.^^
I will see you next week.
flower
Liz wrote: Today, I'd like to introduce a couple of web-sites. Maybe some of you know have already been using these.

First of all, http://puzzlemaker.discoveryeducation.com

You can make puzzle worksheets here. My favorite one is criss-cross puzzle and hidden message.

Secondly, http://bogglesworldesl.com

There are lots of ready-made worksheets. I often use these materials for the classes that are specialized for low level students.

Lastly, http://www.schoolholic.net/

Here, you can watch many interesting cartoons which are based on school life. By the way, those cartoons are in Korean.
Bae Sung-han
Bae Sung-han
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

Teacher Tips and Teachniques (New section at Liz's suggestion!) - Page 2 Empty Re: Teacher Tips and Teachniques (New section at Liz's suggestion!)

Post  Bae Sung-han Fri May 23 2008, 05:42

I am in favor of you. But in our real world somehow, students in Korea don't like to be bothered by the subject, English language. I am sure they are so tough now due to their hard duties such as homework, private institutions or personal tutors at home or other places with their other various subjects to study, - you know what, a number of elementry students are joining the sport clubs to learn how to perform the sports owing to their scores, Korean-style of portpolios, etc
Students don't like to focus on just one subject, English. Therefore, they want quick service by Korean English teachers, which is the translation of teachers beside them.
Neverthelss, I am sure that students should think in an English way when speaking and writing. I believe that this is the best way to learn Enlgish language. If students have difficutlies in English, they should try to fix them in English because solving in the way of Korean doesn't help them improve their ability in English. Surely the mastery of English in this way takes long time, but sure enough for them to feel confident using English in class or in real life.
Though the difficulties are there for students to confront in the school, I certainly think that they should utilize English only in the class.
bakbann wrote:Is translation needed during English classes? I'm just wondering your thinking.

Few days ago, I had a small talk with my professor and other graduate students who did their first practicum. One of them said, she wanted to use Communicative Language Teaching Approach with a lot of activities. She wanted to encourage students to communicate each other with low inhibition or pressure. However, Her plan was frustrated by the teacher who is in charge of her. The teacher believes translation is one of the indispensible elements in English class and she is a strong supporter of Grammar Translation Method. My professor were against this idea. He argued that although students may not be able to translate English writing into Korean exactly, they can understand what the writing is about. Moreover, It is much more effective way to explain English words in English like English-English dictionary largely based on its context or by synonyms and antonym. It is meaningful learning, he added. He also insisted translating English words to Korean and making students memorize them won't last long in their cognitive structure.

I believe there are numerous students who want direct translation into Korean to make it clear. However, I also agree with my professor that students can understand English without translation. I know this is highly controversial among many teachers and educators, but I just want to hear various opinions about this.

What do you think?
Bae Sung-han
Bae Sung-han
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2