English Advance!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

final exam : video news from Sung-han Bae

4 posters

Go down

final exam : video news from Sung-han Bae Empty final exam : video news from Sung-han Bae

Post  Bae Sung-han Sat May 10 2008, 13:15

May 9 - Myanmar agrees to allow in US aid and issues visas to some foreign aid workers

But Myanmar seized a U.N. aid shipment and won't let in a US relief team.

Fred Katayama reports from New York.

SOUNDBITE: Spokesman Mike Kiernan Myanmar
Bae Sung-han
Bae Sung-han
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

final exam : video news from Sung-han Bae Empty Re: final exam : video news from Sung-han Bae

Post  Bae Sung-han Wed May 21 2008, 11:27

Bae Sung-han wrote:May 9 - Myanmar agrees to allow in US aid and issues visas to some foreign aid workers

But Myanmar seized a U.N. aid shipment and won't let in a US relief team.

Fred Katayama reports from New York.

SOUNDBITE: Spokesman Mike Kiernan Myanmar

1. Summary :

A couple of weeks ago, there was the powerful strike of cyclone in Myanma. After the attack, the government of Myanma didn't allow US or UN to come and help them with their supplies and experts which the people in ravaged area have desperately needed. But now they opened their door to accept foreign aids, but not as much as people need. The Myanma government suspended the US airplanes not to land their country. All nations asked them to open including the UN and The US because many people have been suffering the hunger and medical problems. The damaged areas are so severe and extensive that aids such as experts in emergency manange program and relief teams to rescue people in need have been needed since the disaster. The toll has been estimated to 23,000.

2. Pre-listening activities :

• Before starting the class, I will warm up the students in class with discussion our natural disasters such as typoon, that is, cyclone, hurricane, etc. which are called differently depending on the place they occur, flood, famine, volcanoes, earthquakes and so on.
  • In addition, after the discussion, I will give some pictures which are clearly shown by a beam projector. Some big pictures on the black board or some videos will be given possibly to give the paticular explanations.
  • Lastly, I would like to give some vocabularies to catch an general idea about the natural disaster. Furthermore, I might have students match the words with previous pictures or videos.

3. Post-listening comprehension activities:

• I would like to give some statements to students to check for their general idea or specific details on the news article. And it could be true or fault questions or some pictures will be given to students for match questions which are captures from the news article.
  • Moreover, I want to present students some questions with blanks, which are related to the key vocabularyies from the pre-listening activities and the news article.

4. Post-listening productive activities :

(1) Speaking activities :

• Giving some discussion topics to students.
  • For example, what are you able to hlep the people in natural problems?, how do we prevent ourselves from the natural catastrophes?, what are our problems?, Have we done wrong to Mother Nature?, what were you do if you were the president of one nation?, what do we have to prepare for those natural disasters?, etc.
  • Finally, I will suggest students to see how to make a first aid for the survivors at the scenes, giving some useful emergency expressions. And I will make them pratice with themselves or with special gadgets.

(2) Writing activities :

• I would like to give some phrase verbs or idioms and words for students to write down what you would experience or do in such situations.
  • And also I will let students make some lists of do's or don't's in each case of the natural problems as they happen to us and to the city where I live in the class roughly.
  • For another performace of post-writing activities, I would like to give a homework which is that students must do surveys not only about the past disasters in some countries such as USA, China, Japan, any countries in Asia and Europe and so on, but also about each government's work done to lessen the damage of the catastrophes, including to what students think or feel about them.
Bae Sung-han
Bae Sung-han
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

final exam : video news from Sung-han Bae Empty another Myanmar problem

Post  kim young-ah Thu May 29 2008, 13:03

There are four big winds in the world around the ocean. They are Hurricane, Cyclone, Willy Willy and Typhoon. They are disaster rather than wind. In Myanmar there happened Cyclone. It stole many lives. But I don't understand Myanmar government. I think the lives of people are the first. Whatever their foreign policy is....

Sung-han, I like your lesson plan. One of them is matching pictures. I thought matching article, relevant articles and the like. Pictures themselves can interest students' mind. Pics make the article concrete because this article can be unfamiliar to students. It's about the world issues.

Last edited by kim young-ah on Thu May 29 2008, 13:21; edited 1 time in total
kim young-ah
kim young-ah
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

final exam : video news from Sung-han Bae Empty And..

Post  kim young-ah Thu May 29 2008, 13:20

And your homework is that students should survey the past disasters in some countries such as Western and Oriental parts and the government's work against the catastrophe. After surveying them, students should write some essays. But I think there's a little burden. In my opinion, this listening activity will be OK if it ends within the day's class. So I think the homework should be previewed. So with their survey, they can adapt them to the video clip and they can be encouraged. Before the listening class. the teacher informs the content and gives the students the homework - some survey. In this activity, I think, preview is better than review or post homework.

Last, I would like to add one thing in your activity. That is a table/graph making. With students' previewed material, all the students through group activity, they can exchange and share their opinions. So they can make the charts, tables, figures, graphs, diagram, etc. At a glance, we can make out the disaster, content, result or the degree of damage. Students can understand and study the article more deeper.
kim young-ah
kim young-ah
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

final exam : video news from Sung-han Bae Empty Re: final exam : video news from Sung-han Bae

Post  Bae Sung-han Fri May 30 2008, 06:19

Thank you for your useful advice.
In fact, last night we discussed about what pages in widget book match which principles. At that time, I was realized that I need more time spent studying and applying to my classes.
It is a kind of difficult becasue a lot of teacher, I know some are different, suggest what I have to do or what I should do in the class with the traditional way to teach.
I would do whatever I think it could be good, if I had my own school or class.
To sum up, I accept your opinions and I will open my mind to others' voices, which I am sure help me out to be a great teacher. That's what I reall want to be someday in Korea, or furthermore in the world.^^ flower

kim young-ah wrote:And your homework is that students should survey the past disasters in some countries such as Western and Oriental parts and the government's work against the catastrophe. After surveying them, students should write some essays. But I think there's a little burden. In my opinion, this listening activity will be OK if it ends within the day's class. So I think the homework should be previewed. So with their survey, they can adapt them to the video clip and they can be encouraged. Before the listening class. the teacher informs the content and gives the students the homework - some survey. In this activity, I think, preview is better than review or post homework.

Last, I would like to add one thing in your activity. That is a table/graph making. With students' previewed material, all the students through group activity, they can exchange and share their opinions. So they can make the charts, tables, figures, graphs, diagram, etc. At a glance, we can make out the disaster, content, result or the degree of damage. Students can understand and study the article more deeper.
Bae Sung-han
Bae Sung-han
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

final exam : video news from Sung-han Bae Empty Myanmar problem...

Post  Boyun Park Tue Jun 03 2008, 09:03

Hello~!

It's been quite a while since this terrible cyclone occurred in Myanmar but even current news show that the situation hasn't got better much yet and rather the country itself is growing damage by blocking most of aids across the world. I believe the Myanmar government should open more doors to the aids and let people altogether help overcoming this terrible disaster because their people are really suffering more and more as time goes by. They should take more actions and actively work on solving current problems. I saw a news couple days ago about Myanmar refugees temporarily staying in some small city in Thai(I think?). They didn't believe their country's news reports because the government and military are blocking ears and eyes of Myanmar people by distorting the reality. One man said that he would rather watch BBC or CNN to at least see real terrible situation of his country even though he doesn't understand English. I had just a little too much talk about the video itself^^ lol!! lol!

Let's get back to the lesson plan. I think it was well organized and students will comprehend the video as well as some scientific(?) Smile information like natural disaster and stuff. We tend to think Korea is quite safe from natural disaster but it may not be like Chinese current earthquake. So it's a good activity for students to think and talk about like post-productive activity 4.(1). I was just wondering 4.(2) part. It would be quite a lot to prepare for young students according to your directions. How about they get to choose one disaster that happened in the past(doesn't matter which country) and let other students know about it when they do presentations about it. Then the range of homework will be smaller and students can research about it in more details. Also, in post-listening part, I thought it would be better if the teacher asks students 5W1H questions about the video since this is an event. The teacher could tell the students about what exactly happened or the Myanmar situation is.(some students might not know the event and they cannot get full infos from the video since it's focused on aids issue) To make and give students time to talk in English, students could give each other and share general ideas in post listening part. Hope my reply helped! Exclamation
Boyun Park
Boyun Park
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

final exam : video news from Sung-han Bae Empty I am adding more information to my lesson plan.^^

Post  Bae Sung-han Tue Jun 03 2008, 10:08

In the pre-listening activity:
Some students might be not confident in speaking English only in class, so that they can use either Korean or English to explain about what they think about the natural disasters which are so frequently occurring these days.

In the post-listening comprehension activity:

After watching it, students will share what they hear from the video news. It makes them have more specific ideas about it. And I will ask them some questions for comprehension check.

In the post-listening productive activities:
I will give some information which I've already done some research on the natural disasters and make them match the types of disasters with the causes and the effects of those and the places where it may occur. After this activity done, they are allowed to make some stories broadcast their own report, imagining they are reporters in the station.
Bae Sung-han
Bae Sung-han
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Hyunjin Thu Jun 05 2008, 13:29

1. At first, I thought that this video would be a little bit boring for seconadary school students, because they might not like political things like me. However, your class plan is quite related with the video, and also I found some interesting things from it.
For example, the speakers' voices are very calm and clear, and I could see the UN president, Ban Gi-moon.

2. I'm always worried about how to call students' attention. It is good way to use some natural disaters and pictures. Actually, I also dealt with China's earthquake in this project, and I did same as you. However, you are more skillful person because I didn't think of using computer.^^ Anyway, I believe there is nothing better to see the situation directely.

3.In speaking and writing, students feel hard because they seldom have opportunities to speaking and writing before. So, If the teacher give them some example to make them warm-up, I feel more comportable to do that.

4.Because they knew about many other disasters at the begining of this class, they would better find how to survive under the disaster like my class plan. It is a way to improve their speaking as well as a kind of drill on emergency situations.
Kim Hyunjin
Kim Hyunjin
Flyer
Flyer

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down