English Advance!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

final term exam :video news from Kim young-ah

+6
Jung Yoojin
Boyun Park
Mijin Son
Bae Sung-han
Kyeong-im
kim young-ah
10 posters

Go down

final term exam :video news from Kim young-ah Empty final term exam :video news from Kim young-ah

Post  kim young-ah Mon May 12 2008, 06:06

May 10 - A 4-year-old South Korean Beatles fan sings his favourite band's hits to millions via the internet.

He became a worldwide Internet sensation after his parents posted a video of him performing the Beatles' hit song "Hey Jude" when he was three years old. Now, aged all of 4, Ha Youngwoong, which means 'Hero' in English, is an internet star and has attracted over 4.5 million viewers to see his video clip named "Youngest Baby Beatle in Diapers".

Penny Tweedie reports.

kim young-ah
kim young-ah
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

final term exam :video news from Kim young-ah Empty summary on the video news

Post  kim young-ah Mon May 19 2008, 22:36

A 4 year-old boy sings the Beatles' song "Hey Jude". He's from South Korea. His name is Ha Young-woong and he became the You Tube star around the world through the Internet.
Last year, his parents posted Young-woong's video performance on the Internet and millions of viewers watched him. At that time, he sang in diapers.
Now, Young-woong says he wants to travel around the world and to perform like Beatles. And also, his mom wants her son to find a good teacher that will open him a decent world.

Last edited by kim young-ah on Thu Jun 05 2008, 11:48; edited 1 time in total
kim young-ah
kim young-ah
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

final term exam :video news from Kim young-ah Empty pre-listening & post-listening activities on this video news

Post  kim young-ah Mon May 19 2008, 23:12

(pre-listening activities)
1.Show the students the outline article on the video news
2.Preview the relevant article to this video news.
(In this case, the teacher should prepare for the short and brief relevant articles.
3.Browse some pictures such as Young-woong's pics(main character), guitar, Beatles' records,and so on.
4.Preview key words like sing a song, Beatles, perform, internet, You Tube. etc.
5.With the key words in 4. pronunciation drill can be conducted. If so, the students can listen to the article better focusing on the drilled key words.

(post-listening activities)
1.Choose and check the sentences that the students listened to in the video news.
(The teacher gives out the paper that contains the 10 sentences or so from the article to the students.)
2.Make the title.
3.Make the questions on the video article (if possible, answer the questions).
e.g. What's the child's name? How old is he? What country is he from? Whose song did
he sing? Which web site did he appear? Who posted his performance? ......
4.summary, opinions, prediction - through discussion
5.How many times do the given key words appear? - check them.
(In this case, the teacher gives out the paper filled with the key words. The key words have blanks like ( ). The students write the numbers/times in blanks whenever they listen to the key words.)
6.Fill in the blank in the script.

Last edited by kim young-ah on Wed May 21 2008, 22:55; edited 2 times in total
kim young-ah
kim young-ah
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

final term exam :video news from Kim young-ah Empty productive skills on the video article

Post  kim young-ah Wed May 21 2008, 16:55

After listening to the video article three times, the students can make use of them like

1.(even though the students can't hear the whole article) the students can repeat and
speak again the parts that they can remember and comprehend.
2. the students can write the sentences that appeared in 1.
3.through the group activity, the students can summarize, suggest their opinions and
predictions
4.(I like this part ^^) through the group activity, the students can draw the most
contents of the article. And the students can modify the contents. e.g. change
the background such as times, character, and so on. Suppose that the character in
this article is not Young-woong but the student himself/herself. Then, they can
rewrite the sentences/another article according to their situations. Through this
activity, they can improve their writing skills.
kim young-ah
kim young-ah
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

final term exam :video news from Kim young-ah Empty It's a good idea~! ^^

Post  Kyeong-im Wed May 28 2008, 18:38

Dear young-ah,

The hero is so cute. It was totally amazing!! Because of his appearence and ability(singing) most students can't help looking off the video. This gives students opportunity not only to practice listening in English but also to enjoy his singing. Actually, in my case, it was "Hey Jude" that I learned English pop-song at first time. ^^

In your lesson plan, I like the post-productive activity. number 4. A few weeks ago, when I saw your video at first, I was looking forward to seeing your lesson plan. There's nothing occured in my mind. How could I use it in my class, educationally? However, you did it! ^^ Changing the hero to others(including themselves) is so interesting and creative. Make their own article again. Wonderful!

I'm sorry but I wonder how you apply step 1, 2 in productive skills to your students. Considering my experience, it was difficult to remember what I hear for a long time. I think that, to write down them, it may be took more than 2~3 minutes. A simple sentence is easy such as "I love you". Then how about this sentence, "Four and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent a new nation." ? Because this video is focused on everyone not just for students it is possible to hear such sentences.

So I just recommand you that students write it in the intervals. After listening one sentence then write down what they listen. one by one... It's more easy I think.
Kyeong-im
Kyeong-im
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

final term exam :video news from Kim young-ah Empty My explanation was not enough, sorry....

Post  kim young-ah Thu May 29 2008, 09:35

First of all, thank you for your reply...
And I can understand your point to post-productive activity 1.2
Actually, my explanation was not enough. In No.1. and 2. I thought the "dictogloss" While listening to the video news, students (as we did) can write down the words and sounds and then they cooperate and share their notes. If possible, a teacher can help a little. Students can make their own sentences even though the sentences are very simple and very easy like "I love you". But as time goes on, they will improve, I believe.

Kyeong-im wrote:Dear young-ah,

The hero is so cute. It was totally amazing!! Because of his appearence and ability(singing) most students can't help looking off the video. This gives students opportunity not only to practice listening in English but also to enjoy his singing. Actually, in my case, it was "Hey Jude" that I learned English pop-song at first time. ^^

In your lesson plan, I like the post-productive activity. number 4. A few weeks ago, when I saw your video at first, I was looking forward to seeing your lesson plan. There's nothing occured in my mind. How could I use it in my class, educationally? However, you did it! ^^ Changing the hero to others(including themselves) is so interesting and creative. Make their own article again. Wonderful!

I'm sorry but I wonder how you apply step 1, 2 in productive skills to your students. Considering my experience, it was difficult to remember what I hear for a long time. I think that, to write down them, it may be took more than 2~3 minutes. A simple sentence is easy such as "I love you". Then how about this sentence, "Four and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent a new nation." ? Because this video is focused on everyone not just for students it is possible to hear such sentences.

So I just recommand you that students write it in the intervals. After listening one sentence then write down what they listen. one by one... It's more easy I think.
kim young-ah
kim young-ah
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

final term exam :video news from Kim young-ah Empty Re: final term exam :video news from Kim young-ah

Post  Bae Sung-han Thu May 29 2008, 10:00

As you mentioned, I also like the writing part that students are ordered to make some writings instead of the main character, but students, themselves, because they can get it as their own work with the articles, which means that they can focus more on it then.
And one more thing I would like is that the pre-listening activities, giving some pictures and find out what they will be doing on the video.
You suggest that students should fill the blanks which the important words will be fit in. However, I think you should give more activities with the vocabularies which students will meet in sentences and conversation anytime and anywhere.
Nevertheless, generally speaking, your video is good enough for students to like.
kim young-ah wrote:After listening to the video article three times, the students can make use of them like

1.(even though the students can't hear the whole article) the students can repeat and
3.through the group activity, the students can summarize, suggest their opinions and
predictions
4.(I like this part ^^) through the group activity, the students can draw the most
the background such as times, character, and so on. Suppose that the character in
rewrite the sentences/another article according to their situations. Through this
Bae Sung-han
Bae Sung-han
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

final term exam :video news from Kim young-ah Empty Re: final term exam :video news from Kim young-ah

Post  kim young-ah Thu May 29 2008, 13:26

I think I suggested small vocabularies. That's just examples....
And this video article is easier than yours or other classmates'.
So it doesn't need much more key words.

Bae Sung-han wrote:As you mentioned, I also like the writing part that students are ordered to make some writings instead of the main character, but students, themselves, because they can get it as their own work with the articles, which means that they can focus more on it then.
And one more thing I would like is that the pre-listening activities, giving some pictures and find out what they will be doing on the video.
You suggest that students should fill the blanks which the important words will be fit in. However, I think you should give more activities with the vocabularies which students will meet in sentences and conversation anytime and anywhere.
Nevertheless, generally speaking, your video is good enough for students to like.
kim young-ah wrote:After listening to the video article three times, the students can make use of them like

predictions
kim young-ah
kim young-ah
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

final term exam :video news from Kim young-ah Empty Video news from Kim Young-ah

Post  Mijin Son Thu May 29 2008, 19:29

1. I think this news article is quite interesting for the teens because it contains the story of a young famous interner star. To our surprising, the hero of this news is a little Korean kid who is just 4 year old. To make this news more attractive, he, Ha Young woong, is a huge fan of Beatles, not Korean singers. So he sings a song in English.

2. When it comes to your lesson plan, i like the last part of the productive activity just like you. Letting the students change the story, even though that is very small part of the story, the activity makes students use their creativity. And also, for the pre- listening activity, i think it is a good idea to have the students search the related but different news. Through this activity studetns have a great deal of time to improve their English as well as to extend their view of the world.

3. As far as post-listening activity, I'm just a little bit confused to understand the procedure of the activity. For the first step, the teacher is going to "choose and check the sentences that the students listened to from the video news. I just wonder what you mean by the word "choose and check". Are you gonna choose the sentences from the news and using those sentences are you gonna make the worksheet?

4. I think you can extend the production stage. why don't you focus on the group activity and give the students the chance to present their creative story? It might give them a chance to do presentation in front of their classmates and through these kinds of activities students can have confidence what they've done.
Mijin Son
Mijin Son
Mover
Mover

Back to top Go down

final term exam :video news from Kim young-ah Empty He's adorable!!

Post  Boyun Park Tue Jun 03 2008, 07:37

Hello~*

I've seen this video a couple times on the forum ^^ but he's so adorable every time I re-watch it. I think your lesson plan is detailed and focused much on the context that students will probably master this video according to your lesson plan!! Very Happy I believe this article meant quite special to you since you have sons around his age? sunny

I liked the post-productive activity part a lot. Students will have a chance to put themselves in someone else's shoes and rewrite the whole story according to their situations. It will be a fun writing time like twisty-turny story time!

Well, these are some thoughts I had after reading your writing. I watched the video couple times and thought the boy's mom wanted him to meet an inspirable teacher? instead of him becoming one? Also, on pre-listening activity, I was wondering what you meant by article outline. If it meant outline of this video clip or? Also I want to add some opinion on post-listening activity part 5. Instead of making students check numbers they hear the vocabs, it would be better if students get to make at least one sentence with those words. That'll help them remember words more effectively and know how they are used in different contexts. Hope my reply helped!!
Boyun Park
Boyun Park
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

final term exam :video news from Kim young-ah Empty Pot tot Beatles Performance

Post  Jung Yoojin Wed Jun 04 2008, 20:13

I was also interested in this video when I was going to choose the video clip. How amiable he is! ^^ I have already mentioned this video-content before but I would love to comment yours. Firstly, I would like to suggest one thing on your pre-listening activity. Yours are good for learners to get general ideas of video-clip. But why don't you give some information about the singer "Beatles"? I saw this activity in this forum(I can barely remember who she/he is ㅜㅜ) That idea is great to make students motivate and make them interested in listening. I think if you introduce students some songs which sang by Beatles, it could be good as well. What I like is your post-listening activity for comprehension, especially number five. I think that activity can be intensive listening for learners to find vocabulary. It would augment students' listening skills very much. In addtion to this activity, I like your productive activity. Through the number one and two, students can check their comprehension of content through produtive skills. But before you execute this, how about giving students some specific sentence forms in advance?
Then they can practice sentence writing and they can reconstruct their own content comprehension as well. ^^ Embarassed
Jung Yoojin
Jung Yoojin
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

Post  kim young-ah Thu Jun 05 2008, 11:00

Thank you for your ineterest.
First of all, in No. 3, You pointed out some confusing items. But I suggested my hand-out under the No.1 item of the post listening , esp in the ( ) . Please check again.^^
And I'll keep your idea in my mind that through the group activity, students can present their ideas in front of other students. I missed it.
Thank you again.

Mijin Son wrote:1. I think this news article is quite interesting for the teens because it contains the story of a young famous interner star. To our surprising, the hero of this news is a little Korean kid who is just 4 year old. To make this news more attractive, he, Ha Young woong, is a huge fan of Beatles, not Korean singers. So he sings a song in English.

2. When it comes to your lesson plan, i like the last part of the productive activity just like you. Letting the students change the story, even though that is very small part of the story, the activity makes students use their creativity. And also, for the pre- listening activity, i think it is a good idea to have the students search the related but different news. Through this activity studetns have a great deal of time to improve their English as well as to extend their view of the world.

3. As far as post-listening activity, I'm just a little bit confused to understand the procedure of the activity. For the first step, the teacher is going to "choose and check the sentences that the students listened to from the video news. I just wonder what you mean by the word "choose and check". Are you gonna choose the sentences from the news and using those sentences are you gonna make the worksheet?

4. I think you can extend the production stage. why don't you focus on the group activity and give the students the chance to present their creative story? It might give them a chance to do presentation in front of their classmates and through these kinds of activities students can have confidence what they've done.
kim young-ah
kim young-ah
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

Post  kim young-ah Thu Jun 05 2008, 11:12

Thank you , Bo-yun.
In summary, I couldn't listen to the whole story exactly....due to my listening ability.
So as you mentioned, his mom wanted Ha to meet a good teacher maybe.
I'm sorry I'm not sure. Let me check again. m.m
And it's a good idea that many students can rewrite their sentences with the given or key words. But because of the level of the students, I suggested the checking numbers. Because it's very easy and interesting. And so I'll add your idea to my lesson plan....^^

Boyun Park wrote:Hello~*

I've seen this video a couple times on the forum ^^ but he's so adorable every time I re-watch it. I think your lesson plan is detailed and focused much on the context that students will probably master this video according to your lesson plan!! Very Happy I believe this article meant quite special to you since you have sons around his age? sunny

I liked the post-productive activity part a lot. Students will have a chance to put themselves in someone else's shoes and rewrite the whole story according to their situations. It will be a fun writing time like twisty-turny story time!

Well, these are some thoughts I had after reading your writing. I watched the video couple times and thought the boy's mom wanted him to meet an inspirable teacher? instead of him becoming one? Also, on pre-listening activity, I was wondering what you meant by article outline. If it meant outline of this video clip or? Also I want to add some opinion on post-listening activity part 5. Instead of making students check numbers they hear the vocabs, it would be better if students get to make at least one sentence with those words. That'll help them remember words more effectively and know how they are used in different contexts. Hope my reply helped!!
kim young-ah
kim young-ah
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Jin-Young Thu Jun 05 2008, 11:17

This little kid is so cute that I hug him and praise for that confident performance. He has a lot of talents especially on singing a song. His song looks like a astonishing performance, so I must say that you made a great choice in selecting it. At first, I would like to choose it as mine, but I thought that you have more great ability than mine.

As I read you well-organized plan, I found the important thing: the practice of key words' pronunciation just before listening music. I came with up with my listening skills when I prepared for TOEIC. My previous listening technique proved to be successful to me, which was mentioned at the latter part of your pre-listening activities. Among your all suggestions, I like a number of verbal practices during a class. cheers
Kim Jin-Young
Kim Jin-Young
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

final term exam :video news from Kim young-ah Empty Fun!

Post  Lee yujin Thu Jun 05 2008, 11:18

I think your topic is interesting enough to draw students' attention. they will be surprised in that a korea boy appear on the international news!!!
some of students have already seen or heard of his story, so they would feel familiar to the topic.
But in my opinion, it is interesting but I can't find good liguistic points in this article.

Using picture and quessing is really helpful students to comprehend the topic and the objectives.
you also use the offline article related to the topic which is goos to prepare the main listening stage, but I have a doubt that it might be hard to get the offline article in English.

your post-listening is creative and focused on students' active involvement, but the procedure can be a little bit complicated so studnets can feel this activity difficult amd you also will have difficultiy managing ths activity.

Your post-listneng activity such as writing is also creative method. Studnets will have a lot of fun while they set the imaginary news. I think you can manage this writing activity in groups ,so give students oppotunities to interact each other.
Lee yujin
Lee yujin
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

Post  kim young-ah Thu Jun 05 2008, 11:20

Thank you Yoojin.^^
You seem to be very interested in this video article.
In pre-liestening activity, students can get the key word like Beatles. Doing so, they maybe surf the Beatles including many songs and the members.
And like other classmates, I understand your pointing out. I'll add the writing sentences.^^

Jung Yoojin wrote:I was also interested in this video when I was going to choose the video clip. How amiable he is! ^^ I have already mentioned this video-content before but I would love to comment yours. Firstly, I would like to suggest one thing on your pre-listening activity. Yours are good for learners to get general ideas of video-clip. But why don't you give some information about the singer "Beatles"? I saw this activity in this forum(I can barely remember who she/he is ㅜㅜ) That idea is great to make students motivate and make them interested in listening. I think if you introduce students some songs which sang by Beatles, it could be good as well. What I like is your post-listening activity for comprehension, especially number five. I think that activity can be intensive listening for learners to find vocabulary. It would augment students' listening skills very much. In addtion to this activity, I like your productive activity. Through the number one and two, students can check their comprehension of content through produtive skills. But before you execute this, how about giving students some specific sentence forms in advance?
Then they can practice sentence writing and they can reconstruct their own content comprehension as well. ^^ Embarassed
kim young-ah
kim young-ah
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

Post  kim young-ah Thu Jun 05 2008, 11:30

Thank you Jin-young.^^
In my case, through the pronunciation drill before listening some videos or , I could listen better . It was successful like you. In students' case, it will have no burden with listening and make them confident, thinking them know many vocabs in the article.
And we all can understand as much as we know.

Kim Jin-Young wrote:This little kid is so cute that I hug him and praise for that confident performance. He has a lot of talents especially on singing a song. His song looks like a astonishing performance, so I must say that you made a great choice in selecting it. At first, I would like to choose it as mine, but I thought that you have more great ability than mine.

As I read you well-organized plan, I found the important thing: the practice of key words' pronunciation just before listening music. I came with up with my listening skills when I prepared for TOEIC. My previous listening technique proved to be successful to me, which was mentioned at the latter part of your pre-listening activities. Among your all suggestions, I like a number of verbal practices during a class. cheers
kim young-ah
kim young-ah
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

Post  kim young-ah Thu Jun 05 2008, 11:39

As you mentioned, it can be no liuguistic things but as we teachers, we can have to find and draw any materrial to teach students because our surroundings are things to learn until we die. The learners are young students on this video , so I chose this article and it should be fun and easy , I think. Serious things are not always good and instructive.
On procedure of this video, I may have any difficulty but we teachers have to do this or that.
Anyway, thank you.^^

Lee yujin wrote:I think your topic is interesting enough to draw students' attention. they will be surprised in that a korea boy appear on the international news!!!
some of students have already seen or heard of his story, so they would feel familiar to the topic.
But in my opinion, it is interesting but I can't find good liguistic points in this article.

Using picture and quessing is really helpful students to comprehend the topic and the objectives.
you also use the offline article related to the topic which is goos to prepare the main listening stage, but I have a doubt that it might be hard to get the offline article in English.

your post-listening is creative and focused on students' active involvement, but the procedure can be a little bit complicated so studnets can feel this activity difficult amd you also will have difficultiy managing ths activity.

Your post-listneng activity such as writing is also creative method. Studnets will have a lot of fun while they set the imaginary news. I think you can manage this writing activity in groups ,so give students oppotunities to interact each other.
kim young-ah
kim young-ah
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

Post  kim young-ah Thu Jun 05 2008, 11:52

Bo-yun! You're right...
I watched video again and I missed the key word "to find" because of the sound of Ha's song. ^^ So I edited the last part of outline. I appreciate you so much.^^

Boyun Park wrote:Hello~*

kim young-ah
kim young-ah
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

final term exam :video news from Kim young-ah Empty 5th Beatles

Post  eunjin39 Thu Jun 05 2008, 12:53

1. I think the news is very cute and will draw a lot of attention from students. I've seen this little kid on TV early this year, and I thought he's cute. However, I didn't know he would be so famous like this! Students may feel difficult about British accent, but I guess they will enjoy the content.

2. I like your lesson plan because you offers suitable and understandable level of tasks to the learners, tried to draw students' attention with visual materials, and integrated listening with writing. Through the activities that you mentioned above, students will be able to understand the contents in the news article.

3. At post-listening productive activities, you suggested writing activities to the students. Will there be any proofreading on the writing that the students wrote?

4. After writing about the students' own creative stories (at post-listening productive activities), students can share the story with the whole class. Or students can write about their childhood dreams and share with their friends.
eunjin39
eunjin39
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

final term exam :video news from Kim young-ah Empty I like your idea!!

Post  Kang Eunmi Thu Jun 05 2008, 13:30

Hello~~!
I like your idea. Actually you got the same article as mine. So I easily understood your plan. First of all, I like your pre-listening activities. Especially, to make students preview the relevant article to the video news attracted me.. Very Happy
Because to do that we, teachers should prepare for the short and brief relevant articles. That means we should be well prepared, organized and enthusiastic.
Also to preview key words like sing a song, Beatles, perform, internet, You Tube will attract students. Your students never doze off in your class.
To look at your lesson plan, I can get some fresh and intersting idea from yours.
Good job!! Razz
Kang Eunmi
Kang Eunmi
Flyer
Flyer

Back to top Go down

Post  kim young-ah Thu Jun 05 2008, 20:19

thank you so much,lady eunmi.....^^
and take care during the off-semester.....bye...

Kang Eunmi wrote:Hello~~!
I like your idea. Actually you got the same article as mine. So I easily understood your plan. First of all, I like your pre-listening activities. Especially, to make students preview the relevant article to the video news attracted me.. Very Happy
Because to do that we, teachers should prepare for the short and brief relevant articles. That means we should be well prepared, organized and enthusiastic.
Also to preview key words like sing a song, Beatles, perform, internet, You Tube will attract students. Your students never doze off in your class.
To look at your lesson plan, I can get some fresh and intersting idea from yours.
Good job!! Razz
kim young-ah
kim young-ah
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down