English Advance!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Final Exam: Video News from Mi Jin Jeong

+5
Lee yujin
sunnypine
Han Kyoung Jae
Boyun Park
Mi Jin Jeong
9 posters

Go down

Final Exam: Video News from Mi Jin Jeong Empty Final Exam: Video News from Mi Jin Jeong

Post  Mi Jin Jeong Tue May 13 2008, 12:00

Mi Jin Jeong
Mi Jin Jeong
Flyer
Flyer

Back to top Go down

Final Exam: Video News from Mi Jin Jeong Empty Summary

Post  Mi Jin Jeong Wed May 21 2008, 19:26

With gas prices at record highs in much of the US, Tesla Motors is launching its first car store in Los Angeles. Tesla has already sold over a thousand cars since it had a debut in Europe last week, and the newest fully electronic vehicles are available in America now. A two-seater Tesla car can travel 0 to 60 miles per hour in just over 3 seconds, and over 200 miles on a single charge and has no emissions. It's being marketed as one of the first alternative fuel vehicles at a base price of 100,000 US dollars.
Mi Jin Jeong
Mi Jin Jeong
Flyer
Flyer

Back to top Go down

Final Exam: Video News from Mi Jin Jeong Empty Listening Activities

Post  Mi Jin Jeong Wed May 21 2008, 21:47

A. Pre-listening activities
- To provide a context and background knowledge

a. Pre-teaching all possible unknown words
ex) emission, electronic, launch, vehicle, alternative
b. Providing a context, and checking students' understanding the background knowledge of the news
ex)
① Letting students know about record gas prices recently
② Explaining of the electronic cars
c. Giving some helpful listening tips to comprehend the video
ex)
① Concentrate on the main words
② Write down some important facts while listening

B. Post-listening comprehension activities
- To improve listening comprehension of students and guess the main idea after listening 2 times

a. Answering questions for specific information
ex)
① name of car company
② where the first store is opening
③ how many cars already sold
b. Answering questions for gist of the video
ex)
① What happened with the gas price in the US?
② How is the new car fueled?
c. Writing the main idea in one sentence
d. Reminding the news, filling the blanks of the text and having the third listening to check answers of blanks

C. Post-listening productive activities
- To promote students' participation in class and develop their creativity

a. Summarizing the news article

b. Discussing the news, making some questions and answering them in a group
c. Making opinion and prediction in a group, and finding out other kinds of alternative fuels
d. Making a 2-minute news video each group with other alternative fuels which they thought out
e. Presenting each group's opinion, prediction, and video that they made.
Mi Jin Jeong
Mi Jin Jeong
Flyer
Flyer

Back to top Go down

Final Exam: Video News from Mi Jin Jeong Empty Enjoyed reading your writings.

Post  Boyun Park Mon Jun 02 2008, 13:06

Hello~!
The gas price rising issue isn't only USA problem but now a whole world's. Our country is also suffering from high gas price and smaller cars are becoming popular. ( I heard a joke about BMW becoming famous in this high gas price days, Bus, Metro(subway), and Walking!!.. it's supposed to be funny but somehow a sad reality at the same time.) But like this video clip, we are seeing some hopes in alternative fuel vehicles and just expecting them to be put on the market soon! Exclamation It's amazing how far and fast this electronic vehicles can go. The car industry has developed much and maybe people can drive those cars in near future.
I enjoyed reading your activities and they are all well organized. The students will be pleased to have a English listening class like that!! ^^ I just had a thought about pre-listening activities though. The listings you have written are great but maybe it's just a little too much information before hearing the video? Especially on part "c" where students get to learn about tips. Those are good activities but maybe students can take guesses or write down at least some gist of the video after first hearing it? (Maybe they could hear about tips after missing it out first time? They could try the tips on their 2nd listening or 2nd video for make-up.)The other thing I might want to add is on the post-productive activity. Since this is a world issue now days, how about if students have a chance to consider these cars being put on the market in Asian countries including Korea? Or what other alternatives do we have these days(when the gas price is too high)? Well, those were just my thoughts. But overall, I really think your lesson plans were very good and could be well adjusted to English classroom.
Boyun Park
Boyun Park
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

Final Exam: Video News from Mi Jin Jeong Empty Re: Final Exam: Video News from Mi Jin Jeong

Post  Han Kyoung Jae Mon Jun 02 2008, 14:50

Yes, the oil price is a very serious issue now. We can't live anymore without transportation especially cars. But there are many serious problems related to the transportation. So it's a good news now we can have electronic cars and no emissions. The video is very interesting for me and for the students I think.
The first impression of your lesson plan is that your plan is well-organized.
I think it is a great idea providing the students vocabulary and unknown words related to the video for the background knowledge.
But I think that the comprehension checking method is too limited for the written words. In that case the students may feel bored with the activities. Then how about using other materials to check their comprehension?
For example we can use pictures to distinguish the related pictures from others and make reasonable reason-result pictures according to the video content or make correct order to complete story. I hope that my opinion can be a little bit help for your lesson plan.
At last I think your lesson plan includes various activities properly and very good for the integrated class teaching.
Han Kyoung Jae
Han Kyoung Jae
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

Final Exam: Video News from Mi Jin Jeong Empty yay! good news!

Post  sunnypine Mon Jun 02 2008, 20:18

hello~ You chose the same news as mine! good job Smile These days oil price is going up crazy so many people are so interested in alternative energy sources. In this situation this news can be really big issue. I think Korea should work on this kind of project too. Also I like sports cars and so do students. Therefore, this news has good issues to attract students.
About your lesson plans, hmm I liked your plan overall. Actually I didn't focus on the words from the news. I think if I teach those words before watching the news, that will be really helpful for students. So I like your pre listening activity. I need to improve mine. Very Happy And I have a quesion for you. This activities are for high school kids, or middle school? And high level of students or middle or low level of students? I think depends on the students level of English, your plan should be altered a little bit. Your plan is so good for high level students, but for low level of students, they can feel bored i think, because there are not many fun activities but just disscussions and answer the quesions. To grab overall ideas of the news, your quesions of comprention activities are too narrow, so students can feel difficult to understand whole idea of the news. But those questions are so good to understand details. I think you can use your good plan depending on the students' level and make it fun!!
sunnypine
sunnypine
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

Final Exam: Video News from Mi Jin Jeong Empty Alternative fuel car

Post  Lee yujin Tue Jun 03 2008, 20:35

Personally I really like your photo^^your smile is so sweet....^^

I think you made a good choice on the topic because there might be some students who really like cars and this topic has good educational worth in terms of alternative fuel and enviromental issue.
also nowdays oil price hit the records almost everyday which causes growing concerns in every areas in the society.

Your pre-activity was designed to provide students with enough liguistic support and background knowledge. But I think you could have involved more intersting activities such as riddles or guessing games to stimulate studnets' interest.

Your comprehension activities are not so different from other students (include me!)
Maybe You and I can devise more creative activity for checking comprehension in an interesting way.

Making news is really creative and somewhat authentic activity, and It also needs lots of collaboration and interaction between students which ultimately will impove students' speaking ability.
But if you want to get the best result ,you ,as a teacher ,also perapre careful and sophisiticated help , not disturbing their autonomy
Lee yujin
Lee yujin
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

Final Exam: Video News from Mi Jin Jeong Empty Practical class materials!

Post  Ryu Jeong A Wed Jun 04 2008, 20:59

One of the good points I think of this material and lesson plan is to give students the topic concerned with the world issues. The content of the article is such a promising and good news to the alternative energy industry that I think students can have good impression and positive expectation on the future enery. In the first stage of your listening activities, I think it good to offer students background knowledge of the news beforehand. It's true that many students want to get involved in class activities, but have trouble understanding and discussing the main topic due to the lack of previous knowledge of it. So, I believe this will prevent students from wandering around. By the way, I want you to make this source more precise. I mean, how about emboding the materials you will use in the class, such as handing out some short English article about electronic cars to a group and alternative energy to another, so that they can share the background knowledges by presenting articles given to other classmates. Very Happy
Ryu Jeong A
Ryu Jeong A
Flyer
Flyer

Back to top Go down

Final Exam: Video News from Mi Jin Jeong Empty full of ideas!

Post  bobosbong Wed Jun 04 2008, 21:32

Hi~your lesson plan is really well-organized and I can see your efforts for it.

good points:
your post-listening comprehension is well-balanced with bottom-up and top-down process, carefully planned. Plus, in your post-listening activities, I like d. making 2 minute news report on other kinds of alternative fuels. It's a totally new method.

an improvement:
Why don't you make the students record their own 2 minute news report? Woudn't it be interesting? Besides, they'll focus on their intonation mimicking that of a news anchor.
bobosbong
bobosbong
Flyer
Flyer

Back to top Go down

Final Exam: Video News from Mi Jin Jeong Empty Re: Final Exam: Video News from Mi Jin Jeong

Post  billy Thu Jun 05 2008, 14:05

Your topic is timely and interesting. Nowadays the oil price in Korea or possibly in the world is a bigger issue ever. I saw this morning the price of light oil got higher than that of gasoline on the oil price board in the gas station in my neighborhood. I am seriously thinking that I would change my car into some type of 'compact car' which costs low and uses oil much less. The electric car is getting more consumers. Personally I would like to buy this type of car. It may save me money and save this planet from the global warming.

Your pre-listening activities are well-thought-out. Providing a meaningful context which students may pay attention to is a great start. With some background of this video clip also improve the students understanding of the video clip. Plus, by giving a chance for students to be more conscious of the current oil price situation, they can have an economic mind, which is highly necessary for them to be equipped with.

In the post-listening comprehension activities, you are to cover both general and specific information that the video clip carries. I think it is good to start with more specific information first. Like the video clip we have dealt with this semester contains many real-to-life elements of English including tone, intonation, some informal expressions and so on. Thus, it would be better for student to start from what they are more comfortable to be with to a more general and overall topic of the video clip.

In the post-listening productive activities, you propose a list of applicable activities, all of which I think are profitable and beneficial only if they are well-planned and carefully administered in the classroom. These activities have been tried out many times, but as Jason suggested last class, it is very likely that what seems like students are doing is not what they learn meaningfully and is not that helpful to their internalization.

Thanks for your great efforts and time spent on this careful outline of the teaching plan.
billy
billy
Flyer
Flyer

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeong, Seong-yoon Thu Jun 05 2008, 14:26

Nowadays Korea is also expected to meet oil shock and serious crisis without exception. I feel so sad if only I concerned about growing our offspring of my country including my daughters and students.
Your topic will be good material for your class in reality. that's so adquate issue considering present situation suffered from each country energy-lack phenomenon.

Teaching procedure is in good order to make students understand.
From my humble opinion, First of all, before entering main class, you'd better explain about key expression or words, idiom they don't know. and in consoliation process, more important thing is to let them practice and repeat on general objectives, subject.

Very good teaching plan I think.
Jeong, Seong-yoon
Jeong, Seong-yoon
Starter
Starter

Location : 101/102 Bo-seong Whang-sil Apt. Jung-gu. Dae-gu city in Korea

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down