English Advance!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[Final Exam1] Video News from Kim Sun-Young

+5
Han Kyoung Jae
Lee Pilsu
Lee Hye Jin
Liz
kiera
9 posters

Go down

[Final Exam1] Video News from Kim Sun-Young Empty [Final Exam1] Video News from Kim Sun-Young

Post  kiera Wed May 14 2008, 07:27

Last edited by kiera on Thu May 22 2008, 10:48; edited 1 time in total
kiera
kiera
Mover
Mover

Back to top Go down

[Final Exam1] Video News from Kim Sun-Young Empty [Final exam 2] Activities for the News

Post  kiera Thu May 22 2008, 10:47

1. Summary
: Recently, the food price is drastically soaring, and it causes serious crisis such as social disruption. For example, in some Caribbean countries, people who cannot afford to pay for food even riot to get it. There are several reasons for it, such as high cost of energy (in terms of fertilizer and transportation), the worst drought in Australia, and the incentives for producing bio-fuel. It cannot be said that booms of bio-fuel production could be the only reason for food crisis but it's one of the crucial reasons.

2. Pre-listening Activity
: In order to activate students' background knowledge, I will let them do the brainstorming for two sub-topics, 'Food Crisis' and 'Energy Crisis'. Before starting the activity, I will divide the blackboard into two and write down the two topic words respectively.
Then, I let them talk whatever words that come up with and write down those words on the blackboard. After then, I will ask the students to try to find any connections between the two sub-topics.

3. Post-listening Comprehension Activity
: First of all, distribute a handout that has a simplified world map on it. On the basis of what they heard in while-listening activity, students will mark the continent or the country that has food crisis. Then, they will write down the causes which are mentioned for each continent or country.

4. Post-listening Productive Activity
: First activity is a group work. Let students discuss with each other about food crisis and energy crisis. There are some guidelines for better discussion. For example, 'Which do you think more important or urgent, food or fuel?', 'Try to think about other causes that are not mentioned yet' ,and 'Try to think about solutions for each crisis'.
Second one is a personal activity and I will give it as an homework. Students will write a short paragraph about each crisis, causes and effects and solutions for it. They have to choose one sub-topic between food crisis and energy crisis. They will write not more than 15 sentences based of what they heard on listening activity and what they discussed.
kiera
kiera
Mover
Mover

Back to top Go down

[Final Exam1] Video News from Kim Sun-Young Empty Feedback

Post  Liz Sat May 31 2008, 09:14

1. what I think of the video content

We can't live without food or fuel. So choosing one of them is very controversial issue and suitable for Ss discussion. I myself can't say which choice is right, either.

2. what I like about your lesson plan

At the pre-listening stage, I liked that you asked Ss to find any connections between 'Food Crisis' and 'Energy Crisis'. It will help them to predict what they're going to listen to.

3. what I don't understand or would like to see clarified in your lesson plan

For the comprehension activity, you asked Ss to write the specific information on the map. Then, I'd like to know how you're going to check the result.

4. At least one potential improvement or addition that could make the lesson plan even better

After discussing food crisis and energy crisis(productive activity), Ss can write the summary of their discussion on the paper in a group. Then, they put it on the walls in the classroom and take a tour for watching other groups' work(gallery tour).
Liz
Liz
Flyer
Flyer

Back to top Go down

[Final Exam1] Video News from Kim Sun-Young Empty Re: [Final Exam1] Video News from Kim Sun-Young

Post  Lee Hye Jin Mon Jun 02 2008, 07:17

1. Pre-listening Activity

To activate background knowledge most teachers do brainstorming but you added another activity like sharing the blackboard and writing any words coming up from students. I think it will boost Ss' creativity.

2. Post-listening Comprehension Activity

When it comes to word-mapping, when Ss were told to do a group work like mapping or doing summary, they sometimes feel puzzled not knowing exactly what to do. But as you suggested, distributing a handout that has a simplified map will make them feel comfortable and they can surely know what to do.

3. Post-listening Productive Activity

I think discussing in English is very very difficult in Korean current educational situation. However, as you suggested, guiding them to open their mouth with concrete questions.

You also guided this listening activity to the writing personal activity. I think it will be better to give them more specific and concrete condition about the writing. How about giving them some example sentences or guided or underlined worksheet to lead them to write.
Lee Hye Jin
Lee Hye Jin
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

[Final Exam1] Video News from Kim Sun-Young Empty Feedback

Post  Lee Pilsu Mon Jun 02 2008, 12:15

I think the topic of the video you chose is quite good because rising food costs is an international issue affecting our nation as well. Secondary school students in Korea who like bread would know that the price increased from 500 won to 600 won. Thus, the students will pay attention to the issue because they know it's affecting their lives. I think your post-listening activity is quite interesting in which students look at the map of the world and point fingers at continents that suffer from soaring food prices. I think students can be aware of the problem more effectively by visualizing the affected areas on the map and speaking the different causes each continent has. I also think your second productive activity is quite good in which students as a homework write a paragraph on causes and effects of the problem. The topic is quite adequate for this style of writing. However, I suppose for the discussion in your post-productive activity, teacher ought to give some time, maybe a day or two, for students to do some research on the topic so that they can have more clear ideas about the issue and think up their own opinions based on that.
Lee Pilsu
Lee Pilsu
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

[Final Exam1] Video News from Kim Sun-Young Empty Re: [Final Exam1] Video News from Kim Sun-Young

Post  Han Kyoung Jae Mon Jun 02 2008, 14:15

I think the video content is rather difficult and serious, but because it is related our daily lives and meaningful the students will have an interest to the video article. And if the video is just presented to them it's a little bit difficult to understand, owing to your proper pre-listening activity they can understand the content well. Besides using the world map and words-matching are helpful for the students. However, I think that of the post -listening activities comprehension check activity is not enough for the checking their comprehension. In this lesson plan, students just write down some reasons why the food crisis is happening. But in my opinion, as there are various listening comprehension levels in the class so you'd better present sentences including the content such as 'true or false' activity. Finally i like your homework for the extending the class activity.
Han Kyoung Jae
Han Kyoung Jae
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

Post  Boyun Park Wed Jun 04 2008, 12:12

Hello~*

We see Korean news these days talking about how serious the fuel crisis is. It's the world issue and I think it's a good topic for students to have chance to share their thoughts in the class. Just this morning I saw another article about fuel price going up followed by the news which reported food price rising.

Even though this is current and important issue, I thought it could be quite difficult for students to comprehend the video at first. But you made the lesson plan well and I believe it will much help students understand the video.

I liked the pre-listening part where you divided 'Food Crisis' and 'Energy Crisis' and made a connection in between. Students can get some information already from that activity and also guess what the video is about.

I just thought that it could be quite hard for students to jump into post-listening activity after hearing the video since its content is a bit advanced. How about students can share or have some time to talk over(this could be done in groups or by teaching asking questions to students) the video before writing down on handouts. In this way, students can double check his/her answers and put his/her ideas into order while writing. Hope my reply helped you!! Very Happy
Boyun Park
Boyun Park
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

[Final Exam1] Video News from Kim Sun-Young Empty Feedback to "Food or Fuel"

Post  jihyun Thu Jun 05 2008, 06:58

As the news told, I also can feel that the price of food and fuel is soaring currently.
It's too expensive for normal people like me. When I go to the gas station to fill up the gas
I can see how expensive the oil becomes. So sometimes I take a subway to go to my work.
But, I don't think students have actual feeling about the price raising in fuel. But they can feel it in food-price raising. Anyway, it's bad news for us. I am sorry about the contents itself. How much do we have to earn to live without worrying about money for liveing. I hope the day when we all can live happily without that kind of protests and riots.

Anyway.... When it comes to your lesson plan, I think your pre-listehing activity is brief and fresh. Normally, we do brainstrom as a individual work. But in your lesson plan, students work collaborately and write down the words that coming up to their mind on the blackboard. As they work together, there maybe competitive spirit and cooperative spirit. I am of the opinion that that sort of atmosphere is good for learning.

In your post-listening activity students have to write down the reasons for those crisis.
But I just wonder they can interpret the contents by themselves and write down those
on the paper as a post-listening activity. Will you teach them the contents specifically during the while listening activity?? If then, I think that's not a big deal.^^

If I have to suggest something, I would say that you can give your students more specific topics at ther post-listening productive activity. They are still young to discuss something
broadly. So, if you tell them what they have to discuss (As you give them certain questions in that activity) it will be more helpful and there will not many students who can not say anything. In this reason, I think your homework activity also can be easier if you give or teach them some words or expressions beforehand about that topic. Very Happy
jihyun
jihyun
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

Post  Oksun Thu Jun 05 2008, 11:08

Hi,Sunyoung.
Nowadays we are seriously facing fuel crisis and need to come up with solutions for alternative energy. We also confront food crisis so we have to boost food production. From this view, You chose appropriate topic to discuss or deal with.
I like your idea of comparing food crisis with energy cirsis in pre-listening stage.
In post- listening comprehension stage, you handed out roughly drawn world map and let students write down the causes of the crisis mentioned in this video clip. I wonder how teacher confirms their students' listening comprehension extent.
In post-listening productive activity, you made a guidleline for students to write short paragraghs. I think it's a good idea. Let me give you a suggestion here.Instead of letting students write their own paragragh as a homework, how about having students write one or two sentences ,if possible, one paragrapgh, as if they wrote a "dialogue jounal"? One student writes a sentence including some solutions for the crisis , questions they wants to know, the knowledge he or she already knows and the like.
Then he pass it over to another student as we did in Twisty-turny story activity. Surprised
Oksun
Oksun
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Boyeun Thu Jun 05 2008, 11:21

These days there are various social issue which is not eastily solved and hard to fide solution. One of them is energy. Recently the food price is drastically rising, so it caused pepleo to change their havior. I storngly belive that this topic plays crucial roles for English studying. Since these issues are considered seriououly, the reading passage about energy take up many part of books, so students are need to study about them.

Fist of all, brainstorming about enery crisis is essential, because the range of energy is so broaden that students have to brainstorming and discuss about them.
Kim Boyeun
Kim Boyeun
Mover
Mover

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down