English Advance!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Final Exam: Video News from Haesol Bae

+7
Mi Jin Jeong
Bae Sung-han
bakbann
jihyun
Oksun
Hyo-Jin Kim
sunnypine
11 posters

Go down

Final Exam: Video News from Haesol Bae Empty Final Exam: Video News from Haesol Bae

Post  sunnypine Wed May 14 2008, 22:11

Wow! Sports car Cool
sunnypine
sunnypine
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

Final Exam: Video News from Haesol Bae Empty Summary!

Post  sunnypine Thu May 22 2008, 07:13

Summary: While the oil price is increasing so rapidly in the world, a new concept car using another energy source has been developed in the US, by Tesla roadster. Basically this new sports car uses electricity for energy source instead of oil. Even it uses electricity; this car has so good power. For example, this car can go over 60 miles an hour in 3 seconds. Also with one charging, you can drive this car about 200 miles. Good thing about this car is that this car has no emission. This car will sell in Europe and other countries.
sunnypine
sunnypine
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

Final Exam: Video News from Haesol Bae Empty Activities!

Post  sunnypine Thu May 22 2008, 07:16

Like a Star @ heaven Set situation: The students for this news are at least over 10th grade. They have intermediate level of English ability.

Like a Star @ heaven Pre-listing Activity: To familiar with words from the news, teacher will give them a fun true/false quiz which is related to this news topic. Questions can be like ‘These days, normal cars are using oil for energy source.’, ‘Korea has good oil source in Yellow Sea.’, ‘Electricity can be used for cars as energy source.’ Students will answer those questions by raising their hands. Teacher will count the number of true or false. Through this activity, teacher can get attention from students, and students can be familiar with the topic and words from the news. Teacher can give candies students who get the right answers.

Like a Star @ heaven Post-listening Comprehension Activities: To check students’ comprehension, teacher will give them ‘fill in the blank’ work sheet. These are not filling the blank for the script but for helping them comprehend the news clearly. Questions can be like ‘New cars from Tesla in the US use ( ).’ ‘This car has no ( ).’ If they have difficulties answering those questions, teacher can offer some word box for students on the worksheets together.
If students feel very bored, they can draw sports car from the news. They will draw a car on A4 sheet, and they will write down some information of the car like a car catalogue. They can make the drawing in groups too. Through these activities, they can grab the important part of the news.

Like a Star @ heaven Post-listening Productive Activities: In groups, have students discuss some issues offered by teacher after Post-listening Comprehension Activities. These issues should be very interesting ones, such as ‘Which energy source can you develop for cars if you are a scientist?’ ‘What are advantages of this electricity car?’ ‘Do you want to have a sports car? Why?’ ‘If you have enough money to buy this car, would you buy it? Or will you buy another car which is more popular in Korea?’ Students can discuss these questions with group members, or they can interview each other. For an interview, teacher will give out interview work sheets to students. On the work sheets, there are questions and answer part. They have to fill out answer parts and make their own questions for their partners. Through these activities, they can have fun of course, since they are so interested in sports cars, also they can develop their speaking and writing abilities.
sunnypine
sunnypine
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

Final Exam: Video News from Haesol Bae Empty Re: Final Exam: Video News from Haesol Bae

Post  Hyo-Jin Kim Sat May 31 2008, 05:27

Hi~ Han-Sol! It is nice talking to you on line. I've wanted to make friends with you, but I just had no chance. Sad So, I am so happy that I can talk to you here.^-^

Let me tell you my opinion on your video content first. Oil price has lately gone on rising and it is a major factor causing an unstable econimic situation all over the world. Since it imposes a heavy burden on common people who have a car and those who work for freight in particular, making alternatives is alarming now. As one alternative, it seems perfect to develop a wide variety of energy-efficient cars using many different sources. The only thing that concerns me is the price of that kind of car. Few will be able to afford it if the car sells too high, then it is no use. Thus, both developing such a car and setting the price resonable are of importance. It is a pleasure to hear that the US has already succeeded to develop it. I hope they keep the other homework in their mind and will be willing to contribute to going through the trouble we all have now. I love you

I think your topic is good enough not only to study English but to get to know what's going on around us, anyway. While it could look a little boring at first, students will enjoy your class with fun and helpful activities. I particularly like your way to teach vocabularies. Most teachers prefer just giving students the definiton of each word. But you rather decided to use inductive method through offering them examples which include the words and letting them guess what they mean. Although it might take more time to do it compared with the way of giving exact definitions directly, it is clear that students will be able to remember the vocabularies better. I hope you will control the time well so that it may work as you expect.

Last edited by Hyo-Jin Kim on Tue Jun 03 2008, 19:12; edited 1 time in total
Hyo-Jin Kim
Hyo-Jin Kim
Flyer
Flyer

Back to top Go down

Final Exam: Video News from Haesol Bae Empty Re: Final Exam: Video News from Haesol Bae

Post  Oksun Mon Jun 02 2008, 06:43

Hi,Haesol!
You chose the realistic topic we can seriously think about nowadays. As oil price is soaring day by day. we cannot help thinking of the solutions for the energy problem.
You showed the specific questions at each stages and proper strategies to motivate and draw students' attention. I like catalogue making activity to grasp the details in news. It would be a good way for students to do for listening comprehension and it would be a lot of fun as well. For interactive activity, you have students do brainstorming and interview activity. It's also a nice strategy for productive post-listening activity.
Oksun
Oksun
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

Final Exam: Video News from Haesol Bae Empty New car for us ?! Thanks.

Post  jihyun Tue Jun 03 2008, 12:53

Um, that's a good news for the people who use oil-using-car. With soaring price of gas, we have a lot of difficulty using our own cars. So if this vehicle is available for normal people it will be so nice. I think students, epecially boys, will interested in this story.
As you know they are crazy about the car or motorbike. And I am of the poinion that
we can connect this story to environmental problem. So there are so much possiblities
to expand the activity.

Among them, I like your opinion about post-listehing comprehension activity-Drawing the car. It sounds like the activity which we did in the Widget's book. As we did during the class, students can draw the picture of the car which the news explains. And they can add some explanation about the car. You remember what we did, don't you?
It's good way to let students concentrate on the activity.

Furthermore, We can do some kind of activities asking students to sell that car to the
future buyer along with discussing activity. To do this, we can apply role-play task principle. Some of the students can be car seller, others can be buyer. I think
they will enjoy this activity.

But I am not sure whether your pre-listening activity is adequate. I think your questions are a little bit artificial questions. I think you can give them more meaningful questions.
Do you already have them in your mind?! ^^*
jihyun
jihyun
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

Post  bakbann Tue Jun 03 2008, 22:05

1. My prediction is that this groundbreaking car will be popular in the states as it did in Europe. If I could afford a fancy sports car, I would definitely purchase this one. First of all, I do not have to worry about rocketing oil prices. Second, this is environmentally friendly car which emits no gas at all. It makes me feel good that I am doing something helpful to environment. Third, it functions as a normal sports car. It can go fast, and the battery lasts so long that I will not to be bothered by it. Its design is also great. Who would not like it?
Moreover, I am of the opinion that this news is appropriate for secondary school students. The rationale behind this is that it is interesting topic and it is easy to understand for them.

2. Your lesson plan is full of fun and creative activities.

First, I like your pre-listening activity. One true/false quiz provides opportunity to be familiar with the topic and brings their prior knowledge. At the same time, this fun activity enables students to infer the meaning of words through this activity. It is killing two birds with one stone.

Second, I think car catalogue is a great idea to check students' comprehension after listening. This is meaningful learning which is highly related to their life. Students have seen car catalogue or will see in the future. However, students can show what they listened through this meaningful and fun activity with low tension.

Last but not least, I also like the activity of making questions by themselves. It goes without saying that they have bee asked and will ask thousands of questions in their own life. Unfortunately, however, during English classes, they have been asked by the questions on textbooks or other materials rather than ask what they really want to know about. This is a great opportunity to learn how to ask.

3. Your lesson plan is so clear and explicit that there is nothing I need more explanation to understand it.

4. I think you can add one more writing activity. This is because the writing activity above is a bit light and easy one based on their own conversation. For instance, writing short essay may be helpful to students to learn how to develop their idea well with cohesion and coherence in a written form.
bakbann
bakbann
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

Final Exam: Video News from Haesol Bae Empty Hey, Haesol!^^

Post  Bae Sung-han Wed Jun 04 2008, 13:15

I am so happy to meet here on the Internet and writing down something for you is far happier than ever. It was fun though when reading your lesson because you mentioned yourself about being fun in activities. Nobody has said that yet. I like it though. I think you are so confident in what you are going to do in the class, and it looks good to me.
First of all, the video news is pretty good because even though the news isn't related to the issue of students, they will be interested in it, after all, it is the issue of the world. The price of oil is rising and so is other products.
In your first activity, you are saying that you are going to use the candies for their excitements. I like it, but not all the time it is working. You may notice that first. And you said you are using T/F questions for students to get the general idea about the topic. I like it so much. Almost every time, I use it for the comprehension check in the post-listening activity. Good idea!
In the post-listening productive activities, the interviews is the excellent idea running the class.
You did a good work in the lesson plan and cheers for me to know it. ^^ flower
Bae Sung-han
Bae Sung-han
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

Final Exam: Video News from Haesol Bae Empty gorgeous sports car ^^

Post  Mi Jin Jeong Thu Jun 05 2008, 10:48

Hey, Sol ~ Laughing
You've chosen the same video clip with mine. I have selected this video because I thought the car things, especially gorgeous-looking sports car, will be the item to attract middle school students. And this video is about the alternative energy and is related to pollution probems, so a teacher can teach students how to protect the environment as well as why pollution occurs.The levels of content, vocabulary and the narrating speed is not difficult for junior school students to comprehend.
I like the true/false quiz of your pre-listening activity. Students will be faniliar with unknown words from the news after the quiz. However, the post-listening comprehension activity doesn't seem to be sufficient to check their content comprehension. I think those questions that you've examplfied such as 'Nwe cars from Tesla in the US use ( )' and 'This car has no ( )' are associated with the words check that you've a;ready done at the pre-listening activity. Word checking is duplicated.
Also, I really like the drawing activity and making car catalogue. Students will live to do those and have passions for them. I have to add one more improvement, what about moving the car-drawing activity to the post-listening productive activity?
Mi Jin Jeong
Mi Jin Jeong
Flyer
Flyer

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Boyeun Thu Jun 05 2008, 11:40

Since the oil price is increasing so rapidly in the world, a new concept car using another energy source has been developed in the US. So instead of car using oil another car using material are needed. This topic is interesting and many students have already interested about it and the other test reding materials have involved in this topic, so it is useful for student .
Most of all, In groups, have students discuss some issues offered by teacher after Post-listening Comprehension Activities are useful. For example, ‘Which energy source can you develop for cars if you are a scientist?’ ‘What are advantages of this electricity car?’ ‘Do you want to have a sports car? Why?’ ‘If you have enough money to buy this is useful for understanding this topic.
Kim Boyeun
Kim Boyeun
Mover
Mover

Back to top Go down

Post  Boyun Park Thu Jun 05 2008, 12:33

Hello~*

It's time for us really start worrying about using oils. The price is going up continuously and it affects the whole nation economy! These new vehicles will save oil as well as prevent natural pollution. I wonder how longer it'll take for most people to drive these cars but hopefully soon, and in Korea too!! ^^

I think the topic is interesting enough to attract students's attention and the image of sports car itself will excite them!!

Your lesson plan has many activities to help students' comprehension of the article and fun game-like ones to keep their interest to the lecture. Like Ji-hyun mentioned in her reply, it's great that you adjusted similar activity that was in Widget book, catalog drawing part. Like a Star @ heaven Students will have to try to understand and ask closely in English to draw the right picture.

If I could add some more to your productive activity, I'll ask students what they think of future cars in Korea. To evoke their imagination, the teacher may have students prepare mini presentation or talk time about how the future cars and traffic would look like in 20 or 30 years. It can be a continuous productive activity from yours. (The lesson plan above also has questions that are similar such as future cars and alternative energy source cars.)

I thought the lesson plan was great overall and hope my reply helped you! Very Happy
Boyun Park
Boyun Park
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

Final Exam: Video News from Haesol Bae Empty re:opinion on Haesol's

Post  kiera Thu Jun 05 2008, 12:38

1. Personally, I think energy problem is one of the most serious global issues that we should find the solution for and that's why I like 해솔‘s article. Especially, this article deals with the story about the specific electricity-powered car, which is developed and will sell in other countries. I mean, the news is not about an abstract concept, but about an intangible product.

2. I like the pre-listening activity(the simple quiz) more than any other activity in the lesson plan. The simple quiz provides not only the background knowledge about the listening material but also the opportunities for active interaction. Besides, since you use this activity somewhat like a game, it can promote the students' motivation through optimal competitiveness between students.

Your post-listening activity is interesting enough to catch the student's attention. However, I thought the main idea of the listening material is about energy, not about cars, so some of the guiding questions on 'sports cars' are a little bit unrelated to the topic. I think it would be better if the teacher just gives the first question, 'Which energy source can you develop for cars if you are a scientist?' and lets them discuss with each other. Then, on the basis of what they discussed, let the students write briefly about their group opinion and present it.
kiera
kiera
Mover
Mover

Back to top Go down

Post  sunnypine Thu Jun 05 2008, 13:20

Oksun wrote:
Hi,Haesol!
You chose the realistic topic we can seriously think about nowadays. As oil price is soaring day by day. we cannot help thinking of the solutions for the energy problem.
You showed the specific questions at each stages and proper strategies to motivate and draw students' attention. I like catalogue making activity to grasp the details in news. It would be a good way for students to do for listening comprehension and it would be a lot of fun as well. For interactive activity, you have students do brainstorming and interview activity. It's also a nice strategy for productive post-listening activity.

Thank you!! Actually I should've explained more though. Isnt there any bad part? Smile I wanted to have students pretend to be a salesperson for a post productive activity. They can make catalogue and some presentation for it too. While doing that they will naturally use the words from the news.
sunnypine
sunnypine
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

Final Exam: Video News from Haesol Bae Empty Thank you!

Post  sunnypine Thu Jun 05 2008, 13:25

kiera wrote:1. Personally, I think energy problem is one of the most serious global issues that we should find the solution for and that's why I like 해솔‘s article. Especially, this article deals with the story about the specific electricity-powered car, which is developed and will sell in other countries. I mean, the news is not about an abstract concept, but about an intangible product.

2. I like the pre-listening activity(the simple quiz) more than any other activity in the lesson plan. The simple quiz provides not only the background knowledge about the listening material but also the opportunities for active interaction. Besides, since you use this activity somewhat like a game, it can promote the students' motivation through optimal competitiveness between students.

Your post-listening activity is interesting enough to catch the student's attention. However, I thought the main idea of the listening material is about energy, not about cars, so some of the guiding questions on 'sports cars' are a little bit unrelated to the topic. I think it would be better if the teacher just gives the first question, 'Which energy source can you develop for cars if you are a scientist?' and lets them discuss with each other. Then, on the basis of what they discussed, let the students write briefly about their group opinion and present it.

yeahyeah I totally agree with you. I think you catch my point really well. But actually that unrelated to the news quesion was just for fun Smile I thought like.... the more time we spend in class teaching or doing activities, the more students will get bored. So that is just for fun part, but also that can be some speaking activity. Just I thought 'sports car' can be new fun issue for bored students. Thank you for your gooood analysis!
sunnypine
sunnypine
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

Final Exam: Video News from Haesol Bae Empty yay! hello Jin~

Post  sunnypine Thu Jun 05 2008, 13:28

Mi Jin Jeong wrote:
Hey, Sol ~ Laughing
You've chosen the same video clip with mine. I have selected this video because I thought the car things, especially gorgeous-looking sports car, will be the item to attract middle school students. And this video is about the alternative energy and is related to pollution probems, so a teacher can teach students how to protect the environment as well as why pollution occurs.The levels of content, vocabulary and the narrating speed is not difficult for junior school students to comprehend.
I like the true/false quiz of your pre-listening activity. Students will be faniliar with unknown words from the news after the quiz. However, the post-listening comprehension activity doesn't seem to be sufficient to check their content comprehension. I think those questions that you've examplfied such as 'Nwe cars from Tesla in the US use ( )' and 'This car has no ( )' are associated with the words check that you've a;ready done at the pre-listening activity. Word checking is duplicated.
Also, I really like the drawing activity and making car catalogue. Students will live to do those and have passions for them. I have to add one more improvement, what about moving the car-drawing activity to the post-listening productive activity?

yeah, when I saw your post I was surprised too. haha anyways, I like your opinion. car drawing activity can be moved. I will think about it. Cool Many people like the true/false questions. hmm I thought that can be too simple, but also that can be useful for students to grasp whole idea?
sunnypine
sunnypine
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

Final Exam: Video News from Haesol Bae Empty Good job!! Cutie!!^^

Post  Kang Eunmi Thu Jun 05 2008, 13:40

Hello~~!!
If I were one of your students I would be really intersted in your class.
The part which I like the most in your lesson plan, Quiz is most interesting. Your students can easily memorized the new words as the guess the quiz.
And in you plan, teachers make students have a role-playing as a salesperson.
Students can learn not only English but also the real situation as they act it out.
What a fresh idea!!
Also group activities will be fun! Having students discuss some issues offered by teacher after Post-listening Comprehension is kind of essencial part of this activies, I think!
Any way, you did good job!! Very Happy
Kang Eunmi
Kang Eunmi
Flyer
Flyer

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down