English Advance!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Final exam : Video news from Eunmi Kang

+6
Bae Sung-han
Oksun
Park, Saang-yung
jihyun
Lee Pilsu
Kang Eunmi
10 posters

Go down

Final exam : Video news from Eunmi Kang Empty Final exam : Video news from Eunmi Kang

Post  Kang Eunmi Wed May 14 2008, 22:57

I've seen him on TV show a few days ago.
That's why I chose this article.
He's so cute~~! but less than my baby... Very Happy
Kang Eunmi
Kang Eunmi
Flyer
Flyer

Back to top Go down

Final exam : Video news from Eunmi Kang Empty This is part 2-Home work

Post  Kang Eunmi Thu May 22 2008, 14:21

Like a Star @ heaven Useful summary

This video clip reports that the fifth hidden member of The Beatles.
His name is Ha Young-woong which means 'hero' in English and 4 years old. He became very famous when he sang the songs of The Beatles through internet, especially You Tube for the first time. At that time he was only 3years old and performed his favorite song with his diaper. So many millions of people clicked his you tube that he could me a star. He practices Beatles songs to make his dream come true. Young-woong says I want to travel around the world to sing just like the Beatles. Please come and see me. And his mom says "I want my son to fine a good teacher for him." Reuters reports that we can see he will be a real star of we can just let it be.

Like a Star @ heaven Pre-listening activity

[Student Level : High Level Of Middle School Students]

1. Using hand-out materials related to The Beatles and some famous songs about them. (Students can learn about them and how famous they are.)

2. Singing along "Hey Jude". Students can learn new words and expressions by singing along the song.

3. Discussing the phenomenon of You Tube (Advantages vs Disadvantages)

4. Discussing the different pronunciations between British and American

Like a Star @ heaven Post-listening comprehension activities

1. Discussing in a group (3-4 people)

-What kind of ideas did students get? The students can get new ideas or main idea from others while they discuss.

2. Making the students summarize the video clip in a group

(during this activity, a teacher can help the groups)

3. For further comprehension, making students dictate to the easiest part of the video.

Like a Star @ heaven Post-listening productive activities

1. Making a list individually

-what else do the students want to learn more about The Beatles and their songs.

2. Imitating british pronunciation by listening to Reuters.

-Student can learn and have fun how different between British and American pronunciation during this activity.
Kang Eunmi
Kang Eunmi
Flyer
Flyer

Back to top Go down

Final exam : Video news from Eunmi Kang Empty Feedback

Post  Lee Pilsu Sun May 25 2008, 08:52

Hello, Kang Eunmi. I think the content of the video is fit for teaching students because it's not serious and easy to understand. You did a good job on your summary which was helpful because I couldn't understand some parts as I listen to it.

I like your pre-listening activity No.2, in which students can learn "Hey Jude", a music the kid on the video was singing along. But I think teacher shouldn't spend too much time on this because there are other areas to cover.

To your good lesson plan, I would like to suggest a small change. In post-listening prehension activity, I think it would be better if you switch the order of No.2 and No.3. because summarizing(No.2) can be difficult and dictating some easiest part of the video(No.3) might be helpful before the summarizing task.
Lee Pilsu
Lee Pilsu
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

Final exam : Video news from Eunmi Kang Empty I saw him on show too.^^

Post  jihyun Wed May 28 2008, 11:59

Hey~ Eun mi. It's nice to talk to you on-line.
Your picture make me think you are very very young. That's why I was surprised that you have your baby. I think this news is fun enough to watch, especially for students. Maybe they will be amazed when they see very young child sing a song of the Beatles.

Most of all, I like your idea of using Beatles' song as a motivating method.
Teaching contents or other related stories is fun but I think teaching songs is more interesting to make students motivated. Also, you are planning to teach related vocabularies. I had an experience of teaching vocabularies with a song. ( The title was "No matter what") Surely, students learn and memorize it well.

And I didn't think about teaching students the difference between American and british pronunciation. That's a new idea to me. Can you say or make it more specifically?

By the way, it can be a little bit contradictory compared with the above remark. Even though they are really good, teaching too many separate items simultaneouly is less effective than we believe. So rather than discussiong You Tube's advantages and disadvantages and American' or British' pronunciation, why don't we
deal with more about the songs or expressions about the news and Beatles' song.
It's just my opinion. Maybe telling them about those can be much more effective than I think. I am not sure about it. ^^
jihyun
jihyun
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

Final exam : Video news from Eunmi Kang Empty The kid is fabulous ^^..

Post  Park, Saang-yung Wed May 28 2008, 17:21

I saw this boy on Korean TV program. I feel so excited at finding the same kid singer in our forum and Reuters. Several years before I had used English pop songs in my class. I like this song, Hey jude . So I like your trial for singing along. One problem is that we are not sure of students' favorite songs. Your students could like that song or in other classes, they don't. The other problem is that teacher should be a good singer while they singing along. Anyway, I am certain that you are very excellent and enthusiastic in teaching with an interesting story.
Park, Saang-yung
Park, Saang-yung
Mover
Mover

Back to top Go down

Final exam : Video news from Eunmi Kang Empty Re: Final exam : Video news from Eunmi Kang

Post  Oksun Mon Jun 02 2008, 11:38

Hi,Eunmi.
You always say you're having a hard time taking care of your baby but I definitely know you are very proud of him and love him as every mother does. That's why u chose this topic for sure. This boy is amazing and I hope he will be a great singer. This video clip is proper for middle school students to share. I suggest, in your pre-listening activity, teacher let students prepare some information stuff as a group-work, instead of teacher giving hand-out. I think it will be better for students to activate their background knowledge or prior knowledge. I'm wondering why you focus on teaching the difference between British and American English . Out of your own interest??
Oksun
Oksun
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

Final exam : Video news from Eunmi Kang Empty I've seen it before on Korean TV show.

Post  Bae Sung-han Mon Jun 02 2008, 12:31

In the frist section of listening, to make students motivated in order to study English, the difference between English and American English may be a good one way that students' attentions can be drawn into English learning. If students are intereted in Beetles, they can definitely sing some songs sung by Beetles. It is also helpful for students.
I think the advantages and disadvantages of YOUTUBE is one of disscution topic in the prelistening section. I don't know why you chose this. This is getting a bit wide in this section.^^

With songs of Beetles, students might try to involve in this activity. But in the secton of the post-listening, the topic of discussion which they are able to discuss might be broad to the students. But your trial is good though.

Last edited by Bae Sung-han on Mon Jun 02 2008, 14:24; edited 3 times in total
Bae Sung-han
Bae Sung-han
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

Final exam : Video news from Eunmi Kang Empty Re: Final exam : Video news from Eunmi Kang

Post  Han Kyoung Jae Mon Jun 02 2008, 13:06

First of all, I enjoyed the video and the boy was very cute. Thanks to his interest to the singing Beatles song, his mother can take advantage of the situation for his son's English education in my opinion. I think your choice is very good because this video is good enough to make the students interested to the class and English as well.

As everyboby mentioned above, I like the step 1, singing the Beatles song together for the pre-liestening activity. Is there any other thing better than this to catch the eyes of the students related to this video?

But if i can give any feedback to your lesson plan, I think post productive activity is somehow vague especially the first activity. So if possible you had better make the part more specific. Moreover, we can't ignore the grammar part, so I just think using the expression from the video to teach the grammar part is good idea. In additon, how about teaching the students not just the pronunciation but also the different vocabulary, idioms, and expressions. Nowadays many people get interested the differences between British and American English. That's why I recommend you this. Any way I enjoyed your lesson plan and I also got many other useful information through your lesson plan.
Han Kyoung Jae
Han Kyoung Jae
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

Post  Nam-suk Tue Jun 03 2008, 20:32

I really enjoyed your video clip..He's so cute..^^
Just like other people were saying, your topic is just perfect for students..also the part of singing along the song of The Beatles is quite exciting way to have students be motivated for this class.. And as post-listening comprehension activities, the thing that you planned to make them groups to discuss about this video is very good, but generally it's a little vague..(like No1 and also Kyoung Jae already said), and it'll be another way if the order of No 2 and 3 is changed(like Pilsu mentioned)..For the productive activity, if students can have more chance for real speaking practice with topics that are related to this clip (like their future plans or aspirations), it might be another way for this activity, I guess..^^ It was good to read your plan..^^
Nam-suk
Nam-suk
Flyer
Flyer

Back to top Go down

Post  Boyun Park Thu Jun 05 2008, 07:38

Hello~* Like a Star @ heaven

I've really enjoyed seeing this video and think students will be able to approach the article easily since the content is quite easy to comprehend and also U tube is very popular among students these days.

There were some interesting activities you've mentioned in the lesson plan and especially the part where students get to learn difference between British and American English was a fresh attempt. (There are some routes for students hear British accents such as BBC or internet but still many are more accustomed to American English.)

I thought it'll be great to add some words that are used differently between two countries when the teacher tells students pronunciation difference in pre-listening activity number 4 or productive activity number 2.

Furthermore, students can continue studying about Beatles and songs after productive activity number 1 and give mini presentation in front the class.

Have a great day and see you in the class! Very Happy
Boyun Park
Boyun Park
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

Final exam : Video news from Eunmi Kang Empty hello!! sweetheart :)

Post  sunnypine Thu Jun 05 2008, 13:17

I watched this news too, but I didnt have any good ideas to make good lesson plan for it. But you DID!! Very Happy I think your ideas are quite special. In the pre listening activity, thinking about the popularity of youtube web site is really unique idea. Some students may not know about the web site yet, so that can offer some general idea of the news. Also imitating British accent and American accent is really unique too. This activity is not directly related to the news but still that was a part of listening, so I think that is good for students too. Korea's standard English accent is based on American accent and students should be able to understand other accents too such as British. So your lesson plan includes much fun parts and interesting parts. So I like that. You are doing great! See you! Laughing
sunnypine
sunnypine
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down