English Advance!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New forum for global news discussion and much more...

+6
Kim Hyunjin
Joo Un-jin
Yoobin Cha
Kang Eunmi
jihyun
Jason Renshaw
10 posters

Go down

New forum for global news discussion and much more... Empty New forum for global news discussion and much more...

Post  Jason Renshaw Thu May 15 2008, 05:55

Hello my dear students,

Several of you have asked about continuing a forum for English practice beyond the actual term at KNU. That motivated me to start a new, better forum that is not attached to KNU. Of course, this has nothing to do with your grades or coursework, it's just a global news discussion forum for those of you interested in keeping your English listening and discussion skills going.

There will be many cool new features added to it soon - for example, the capacity for you to chat live with voice and webcam (if you want) as well with text entries. You will also be able to leave voice messages or text messages not only about news articles, but common discussion topics, important English tests, and even Business English issues.

In addition, I am going to contact all of my many colleagues and contacts around the world and encourage them to get their students to join in. Then it will be truly international.

For now, I sincerely hope you'll join in with this discussion forum. It will be a great way to maintain contact with you all, and a great way for you to stay interested in English and keep developing.

Here's the address:

http://global-english.lefora.com

Really hope to see you there!

Take care and see you in class soon,

~ Jason
Jason Renshaw
Jason Renshaw
Admin
Admin

http://onlinEnglish.net

Back to top Go down

New forum for global news discussion and much more... Empty Amazing job!!

Post  jihyun Thu May 15 2008, 12:02

Wow~ It's just amazing that you can make this kind of webpage so fast!!
You must be very good at computer.
Actually I am afraid of using computer. Because I alway think that using computer
is difficult and I am originally bad at using computer. So I have never tried to do somework with computer. I even don't have my own homepage which almost everybody has. Some people are very good at uploading pictures, musics or making short clips. I know I have to learn how to do it. But I am just afriad.

So nowadays, I am suprised very often because of you.
Your work, it is just a pie in the sky to me. I want to manage a website(forum?)like this someday and encourage my students to take part in actively. I will try someday.
Thank you for showing me this good method to learn English.~
See ya~~~
jihyun
jihyun
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

New forum for global news discussion and much more... Empty I joined there!!

Post  Kang Eunmi Thu May 15 2008, 12:20

I joined your new web site and I read the article about "Iron Man", because I watched it last weekend.

I can watch the latest movies or controversial events in Korea and I can be reported about those things

by Jason's Global English Discussion Forum. I'll love this kind of site which isn't related to my grade or homework!

Thanx... cheers

Last edited by Kang Eunmi on Wed May 21 2008, 21:04; edited 1 time in total
Kang Eunmi
Kang Eunmi
Flyer
Flyer

Back to top Go down

New forum for global news discussion and much more... Empty Re: New forum for global news discussion and much more...

Post  Jason Renshaw Thu May 15 2008, 12:30

Kang Eunmi wrote:I joined your new web site and I read the article about "Iron Man", because I watched it last weekend.

I can watch the latest movies or controversial events in Korea and I can be reported about those things

by Jason's Global English Discussion Forum. I'll love this kind of site which isn't related my grade or homework!

Thanx... cheers

Hi Eunmi,

Welcome to the new forum - it's really great to see you there. That forum is going to be big, really big... I'm glad you'll be part of it!

One of the good things about the new forum is that it's less formal, and you can visit or contribute to it whenever you like. It's not like school work...

See you soon,

~ Jason
Jason Renshaw
Jason Renshaw
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

New forum for global news discussion and much more... Empty Jason's Global English Discussion Forum

Post  Yoobin Cha Thu May 15 2008, 18:15

Wow~It's really good site to listen and dictate.
Jason always give us great sources of English. Thank you so much.
I am listening a topic " Solar bra gives eco-friendly charge" and laughing at.
It's amazing invention.
People usually regard bra as a symbol of women's sexy but it's changed.
It just focuses on a function as charging a cell phone or an iPod and be called eco-friendly charge bra.
Yoobin Cha
Yoobin Cha
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

New forum for global news discussion and much more... Empty Thank you^^

Post  Joo Un-jin Fri May 16 2008, 08:35

Thank you very much for giving us this useful information.

Yesterday, I was a little surprised that you told a joke by mentioning the English textbook in Korea as a "toilet paper."
I agree with you. I teach the second graders in high school. Whenever I look into the textbook, I feel miserable. It is too difficult. And it has many old-fashioned expressions that native speakers rarely use. I wonder if it is necessary for them to learn these kinds of expressions and read too difficult texts for their ability. Instead of that, I think it's better for them to learn survival English or how to communicate.
I think the problem in English education in Korea is so serious. It makes you, the English education expert, call the textbook "the toilet paper."^^
I hope things improve.^^
Joo Un-jin
Joo Un-jin
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

New forum for global news discussion and much more... Empty Re: New forum for global news discussion and much more...

Post  Jason Renshaw Fri May 16 2008, 09:12

Joo Un-jin wrote:Thank you very much for giving us this useful information.

Yesterday, I was a little surprised that you told a joke by mentioning the English textbook in Korea as a "toilet paper."
I agree with you. I teach the second graders in high school. Whenever I look into the textbook, I feel miserable. It is too difficult. And it has many old-fashioned expressions that native speakers rarely use. I wonder if it is necessary for them to learn these kinds of expressions and read too difficult texts for their ability. Instead of that, I think it's better for them to learn survival English or how to communicate.
I think the problem in English education in Korea is so serious. It makes you, the English education expert, call the textbook "the toilet paper."^^
I hope things improve.^^

Hi Un-jin,

Well, actually, I think I said "in some cases the textbooks might be more usefully applied as toilet paper"... so I'm not saying that every single textbook is bad, or that textbooks themselves are useless. Given that I wrote 20 textbooks myself, I really should be careful what I say! I also had a good laugh when Sung-han said "no, the paper is too hard and stiff to be good toilet paper..." I also agreed with Haesol when she talked about wanting to use a colorful and innovative textbook like Widgets in her classes as a learner. Even at university level, the quality of textbooks can be really appalling.

But Un-jin you're right when you mention the feeling of misery when looking at some textbooks, and you are 1000% right when you say it would be better for students to be learning survival English and communication skills. I hope one day people like you will be in the position to make the changes we need in Korean English Education. You are certainly talented and professional enough. Focusing on the current problems is only useful if we set our minds to make the changes when and how we can.

By the way, I really hope you'll join the new forum. Your comments are always insightful and interesting.

Best regards,

~ Jason

Jason Renshaw
Jason Renshaw
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

New forum for global news discussion and much more... Empty Me, too.

Post  Kim Hyunjin Fri May 16 2008, 12:54

I'm always worried about my poor English.
Now, I think I have to do something special to improve mine.
Thanks! You look like someone who studies how to help his students.
I'm willing to enjoy the new forum with joy!
Thanks for good suggestion!
Kim Hyunjin
Kim Hyunjin
Flyer
Flyer

Back to top Go down

New forum for global news discussion and much more... Empty Learning English requires 3Ps!

Post  billy Sat May 17 2008, 05:28

Practice, Practice and Practice!

Your suggestion will be a wonderful help to us. No doubt about it!
And some of our graduate school students have shown a great enthusiasm over their study in the graudate school. They are the most motivated students that i ever saw. They will try to make the site work well and contribute to its successful operation. However, people like me, who say they want to improve English proficiency, but don't make as great efforts as they utter they will, need to be reminded that they need 3Ps. They need to practice their English every day every where. Whenever i attend the Thursday class, i make up my mind to try harder and harder and think this is the opportunity that i have sought for. But i fail to satisfy my 'ephemeral' urge to 'master' English. I need to be constantly reminded that what is really important is a little time for practice. Thanks as always.
billy
billy
Flyer
Flyer

Back to top Go down

New forum for global news discussion and much more... Empty What a diligent teacher you are...

Post  Park, Saang-yung Mon May 19 2008, 17:48

I have to respect your diligence for opening new tasks and discussions. Shamefully, I didn't open all the contents ( including suggestions and replies.) in this forum. Now I feel I study with amazing students full of motivations to study. I respect all of you.. And I will try to join the forum.. ^^
Park, Saang-yung
Park, Saang-yung
Mover
Mover

Back to top Go down

New forum for global news discussion and much more... Empty You reminds me of him .

Post  Oksun Tue May 20 2008, 12:25

Whenever I see your diligent works at this forum, it reminds of the foreign teacher who taught me composition at the program for English teachers. He was so pushy and strict that we had a hard time doing a lot of assignments he gave us. I was so impressed to hear his saying " It's easy to be lazy ." It was his kind of motto. Nowadays I deeply and totally nod my head at his remark. You are the most diligent person ever seen. Very Happy
Oksun
Oksun
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

New forum for global news discussion and much more... Empty Thank you :)

Post  bakbann Thu May 22 2008, 14:28

Thank you so much, Jason. Now I have numerous sources to study English. With all of these, what I can do and have to do is to keep studying hard. In the past, I was not satisfied with my environment for studying English. I was like "I wish I had been born or lived in English speaking country." "I wished I had been obscenely rich that I could do my college in the states or hire a native private tutor." However, you, as such a great teacher, enlightened me that I was obsessed by stupid ideas. I didn't try enough but I attributed my failure to my circumstances. By now, I know that since I have abundant resources to study without going abroad, improving English entirely depends on me, I mean my eagerness and efforts.
bakbann
bakbann
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

New forum for global news discussion and much more... Empty Latest additions to the Global English Discussion Forum...

Post  Jason Renshaw Sun May 25 2008, 08:02

Video News:

Foie-gras fried $175 burger

May 20 - A New York joint is selling a $175 hamburger that sports a gold-flecked Kobe beef patty fried in foie gras.

The Wall Street burger Shoppe says it sells 20 burgers a day, some of them to repeaters. If you can't afford that, go downstairs, and the burger costs $4.

http://global-english.lefora.com/2008/05/25/challenging-foie-gras-fried-175-burger/

Tornado slams Colorado

May 22 - A powerful tornado ripped through parts of Colorado, killing at least one person and damaging property across several towns.

Video footage showed a monster twister on a local highway, accompanied by heavy rain and hail. Emergency personnel are trying to assess the extent of the damage.

http://global-english.lefora.com/2008/05/25/moderate-monster-tornado-slams-colorado/

Olympic holiday for quake pandas

May. 24 - Eight pandas from earthquake-hit Sichuan province in China are on their way to Beijing to entertain tourists during the Summer Olympic Games.

They were transported on the first the vehicle to leave their damaged home at Wolong. The road to the area has been blocked by landslides since China's most deadly earthquake in decades. Once they reached Chengdu they were flown to Beijing where they're expected to attract six million tourists.

http://global-english.lefora.com/2008/05/25/challenging-olympic-holiday-quake-pandas/

Andean nations face glacial melt

May 15 - The impact of climate change is expected to dominate talks between European and Latin American leaders meeting in Peru.

Scientists have warned glaciers in the Andes mountains will melt away entirely over the next 25 years because of rising temperatures.

Ahead of the summit, Peruvian President Alan Garcia has created the country's first environment ministry.

http://global-english.lefora.com/2008/05/25/challenging-andean-nations-face-glacial-melt/

Riots over Naples rubbish crisis

May. 24 - Police have clashed with demonstrators in Naples after a night of riots over the Italian government's attempt to end the chronic rubbish crisis.

The government has decided to open new dumps against the wishes of local people. Two police and two protestors were hurt when police tried to remove a bus which was being used to block access to a landfill site in the Chiaiano neighbourhood.

http://global-english.lefora.com/2008/05/25/moderate-riots-over-naples-rubbish-crisis/

Interactive toilet makes a splash

May 19 - A mobile men's toilet which combines the usual facilities with video game interactivity is proving a winning novelty in Belgium.

The booth was developed by two Belgian beer fans who used their skills in software development and engineering to conjure up 'Place to Pee'.

http://global-english.lefora.com/2008/05/21/interactive-toilet-makes-splash/

Soaring oil altering US lifestyles

May 16 - Los Angeles commuters become mass transit converts as the price of gas eats into their pocketbooks.

Meanwhile, OPEC refuses to increase oil production despite the pleas of US President, George W. Bush.

http://global-english.lefora.com/2008/05/17/soaring-oil-altering-us-lifestyles/

General Discussion Topics:

Learning English: Benefits and Difficulties

http://global-english.lefora.com/2008/05/24/learning-english-benefits-and-difficulties/

Who is your best friend?

http://global-english.lefora.com/2008/05/18/ibt-toefl-speaking-topic-11-best-friend/

What do you like about spring?

http://global-english.lefora.com/2008/05/23/what-do-you-about-spring/

English Tips and Tricks / Business English Skills:

Presentation Openings - What to say and how to say it (includes listen and repeat audio practice)

http://global-english.lefora.com/2008/05/23/business-english-presentation-openings-good-langua/

Jason Renshaw
Jason Renshaw
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down