English Advance!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Journal - Used to Hate Reading

5 posters

Go down

Journal - Used to Hate Reading Empty Journal - Used to Hate Reading

Post  Jung namsook Mon Mar 31 2008, 08:00

Used to Hate Reading

The Great Gatsby, this is 20c American novel, which I chose to dive into this semester. Although I was going to take a novelette last year, I once evaded a required class, meaning that my English study has been considerably unbalanced. I need to be more open to a variety of reading materials likewise when I began to learn Korean; I was encouraged to read as many fairy tales as I could. I think it’s quite a desirable way to read and learn a language.

Though, as I first opened the page, there seemed to have quite a lot rhetorical words I don’t follow. I therefore felt like closing it right away. Each week I’m asked to keep a journal response every two chapters. To get some help with Korean translated book, I rushed to the library and yet of course I could find nothing the professor had recommended to refer for the class. All Books had already been taken out.

Now I am reading The Great Gatsby in English, since I began to have the excitement of sharing the original version. Ironically, I could use my negligence to let a bunch of new words flow in itself. By the time I was almost finished with a chapter, I quite seemed to know what’s going on. I, of course, find some problems to be done with the text that I left a lot of vocabulary behind inside the grave. I just hope I will be able to willingly look up the new words as a second step for my reading ability.

I cannot deny how receptive skills are integral part of the language learner. Reading and listening skills are indispensable abilities for producing language skills. Now our government tends to overlook the importance of reading skills. I think it’s very a short –sighted policy just as trying to give a birth to more parrots imitating English. Many of Korean students abroad have been facing challenges of constructive debate classes; even though they fully achieved good TOEFL score enough to study in English speaking countries. I assume that they were not exposing themselves for the good books and thus lack of critical thinking.

As an English major student, I would like to read more decent books and not only learn English but also experience new culture. It’s been proved that language learning should be inefficient without understanding cultural settings. On the inside, I would love to take risks traveling to several English-speaking countries. However, I learn that I could figure out more realistic ways to go for English, let alone bear in mind that I’m a wife and parenthood

Jung namsook
Jung namsook
Superstar!
Superstar!

Back to top Go down

Journal - Used to Hate Reading Empty Re: Journal - Used to Hate Reading

Post  Inkab Mon Mar 31 2008, 20:53

Now I understand why Jason say 'thanks for your essay' on the every head of his comments. It sounds habitual, but the pleasure of reading others' ideas and experiences through their enjoyable writings spontaneously induce this reaction. I remember I instantly closed this book just a few minutes after I tried. That was the most boring book ever tried. Since you went through the book,and the book must have its own reason for the literary significance, I probably can get some ideas about the book from you Smile .
Inkab
Inkab
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

Post  Jason Renshaw Mon Mar 31 2008, 21:23

Inkab wrote:Now I understand why Jason say 'thanks for your essay' on the every head of his comments. It sounds habitual, but the pleasure of reading others' ideas and experiences through their enjoyable writings spontaneously induce this reaction. I remember I instantly closed this book just a few minutes after I tried. That was the most boring book ever tried. Since you went through the book,and the book must have its own reason for the literary significance, I probably can get some ideas about the book from you Smile .

Hi Inkab and Namsook,

Yes, I write "thanks" because I really mean it. I do sometimes worry that it sounds - as you point out - 'habitual', but I think it is so important to express appreciation when people have gone to the trouble to dice and organize their thoughts and "etch them in paper" so to speak. I personally learn something every time I read a student's writing. I learn about a person and their world view. I benefit from seeing some aspect of the universe from a new and unique angle. For that I am genuinely grateful.

This diary entry is actually a very interesting topic: reading (and whether it is enjoyed or hated). Having studied a second language myself at university, which involved delving into all of its classic literature in the original language, I have to admit I found some texts just excruciatingly boring to read. In effect you are reading a book that another (or others) have decided to classify as a 'classic' and therefore compulsory reading in order to gain a deeper appeciation of the language and culture. I'd sort of prefer to make that choice on my own...

When Koreans ask me about what they should read in English, I often refer them to books in their natural zone of interest. A good example are the CSI novels. The CSI series are so popular with so many people (I myself am a huge fan!), I think by reading the novel versions these people would bring so much natural interest and schema to to process, that reading would be stimulating and natural. Another example is the Harry Potter series. They are huge books with some very advanced language and expressions in them, but they are like a garden of English development just waiting to be explored.

Nice to hear your thoughts, as always, ladies.

Good night!

~ Jason

Jason Renshaw
Jason Renshaw
Admin
Admin

http://onlinEnglish.net

Back to top Go down

Journal - Used to Hate Reading Empty Reading classics.

Post  Jongwoo Mon Mar 31 2008, 22:25

Oh, yeah. it's a tough job especially when it's in the second or foreign language. This semester I'm assigned to read Jane Austen's and William Shakespeare's. Certainly, they are interesting to read, yet the process of reading and comprehending is so painstaking that it takes the pleasure of savoring their literary beauty. Despite such difficulty, I'm sure that it worths the trouble. As you mentioned, it will enhance linguistic proficiency and cultural understading as well as critical thinking abilities. I wish your success in your constant efforts in reading classics and your plans for cultural experience. Good luck.
Jongwoo
Jongwoo
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

Post  Younghee choi Mon Mar 31 2008, 22:44

Long time ago, maybe 10 years ago, I found my interest in the story of Great Gatsby through a movie. The film was old but fabulous to me.
It aroused my pity toward Great Gatsby when I witnessed the despair and frustration of the main character in pursuing his love materialistically.
Watching the video may help you to grasp the whole picture of the story if the video is available.

P.S. Alas! This is my second time to respond to your writing.
It's gone when I tried to post my response.
Younghee choi
Younghee choi
Superstar!
Superstar!

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down