English Advance!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[OP3] How English can benefit Korea as a nation

5 posters

Go down

[OP3] How English can benefit Korea as a nation Empty [OP3] How English can benefit Korea as a nation

Post  Jongwoo Fri Apr 04 2008, 00:29

How English Can Benefit Korea as a Nation

Lingua Franca is a language consisting of Italian mixed with French, Spanish, Greek, and Arabic, once widely employed in Mediterranean ports for international trade. Today, the term lingua franca refers to the language that is most commonly used for international trade and communication. English, with 400 million native speakers in addition to approximately one billion people who can use the language, is undoubtedly the lingua franca in the international arena, and this lingua franca of today's world is a tool that our country should have for economic, adcademic, and cultural prosperity.

Above all, the biggest benefit that Korea gets from the English language is on this country's economy. According to the statistics provided by the Korean Bank last month, international trade takes up 94% of Korean economy. Considering that English is the primary means of communication in internation trade, it can be concluded that English does more than just benefit our country: it actually serves as the main pillar of this country's wealth.

Furthermore, English is an essential tool for the academic advancement of our country. The majority of the world's information is in English. It is the language for more than two thirds of scientific researches around the globe and over 70% of the Internet websites. As academic advancement can only be achieved from accumulated knowledge and scholatic collaboration even across national boundaries, English as the most dominant international communicative device is not optional, but indispensable for the academic progress of this country.

Finally, English can lead our country to cultural enrichment. As the international language, English facilitates cultural exchange between different nations. While English can grant us an access to a broadened range of cultural experiences from various nations, we can use the language to allow our neighbors in the international community to have a chance to enjoy the exquisite beauty of the Korean traditions. Through this bilateral interchange, cultural prosperity will be achieved not just in our country, but also in other nations.

As we have observed, English as today's lingua franca can truly benefit Korea to a great extent. As the international trade consists of most of our economy, the English language plays a pivotal role to sustain our national wealth. Moreoever, true academic advancement would be difficult without English since a great deal of human knowledge is being stored in English. English is also benefial in such a way that it is an important tool for international cultural exchange. Considering all these benefits English can bring to our nation, therefore, we all should put more efforts to acquire the English language.
Jongwoo
Jongwoo
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

[OP3] How English can benefit Korea as a nation Empty Re: [OP3] How English can benefit Korea as a nation

Post  Younghee choi Sat Apr 05 2008, 21:05

It is always joyful to read your well-grounded and intelligible writing.
Your quality writing is well supported by concrete details, which seems to make your writing particularly outstanding!
Younghee choi
Younghee choi
Superstar!
Superstar!

Back to top Go down

[OP3] How English can benefit Korea as a nation Empty Jongwoo's feedback

Post  Jason Renshaw Wed Apr 09 2008, 23:19

Hi Jongwoo,

Thanks so much for your essay. Wow! You are certainly going from strength to strength in this writing course, though to be fair I think you brought an exception level of writing proficiency with you when you started out in this class.

This is an outstanding example of a categorization essay, and pretty much perfectly fits all the requirements I have so far taught you about how to formulate this kind of essay.

The only thing I think you need to be a little careful about is quoting statistics. When you provide specific numbers and percentages, you really need to name your sources for this information. Otherwise you run the risk of readers thinking perhaps you have come up with 'creative' stats that are convenient to the ideas you are presenting. Knowing you the way that I do, I believe your information is reliable, but other readers may not be so ready to take your statistics at face value. Later in the course we will be practicing referencing, so I hope you find that useful.

I don't really want to dig into your essay and recommend changes based on your language usage. It is very close to completely perfect, and certainly would appease any essay marker I can think of. In fact, there are native speakers (even ones with MA degrees) who can't write as well as you do at the sentence level! This is outstanding writing, and I'd rather let it stand for itself, if you don't mind...

Jongwoo wrote:How English Can Benefit Korea as a Nation

Lingua Franca is a language consisting of Italian mixed with French, Spanish, Greek, and Arabic, once widely employed in Mediterranean ports for international trade. Today, the term lingua franca refers to the language that is most commonly used for international trade and communication. English, with 400 million native speakers in addition to approximately one billion people who can use the language, is undoubtedly the lingua franca in the international arena, and this lingua franca of today's world is a tool that our country should have for economic, adcademic, and cultural prosperity.

Above all, the biggest benefit that Korea gets from the English language is on this country's economy. According to the statistics provided by the Korean Bank last month, international trade takes up 94% of Korean economy. Considering that English is the primary means of communication in internation trade, it can be concluded that English does more than just benefit our country: it actually serves as the main pillar of this country's wealth.

Furthermore, English is an essential tool for the academic advancement of our country. The majority of the world's information is in English. It is the language for more than two thirds of scientific researches around the globe and over 70% of the Internet websites. As academic advancement can only be achieved from accumulated knowledge and scholatic collaboration even across national boundaries, English as the most dominant international communicative device is not optional, but indispensable for the academic progress of this country.

Finally, English can lead our country to cultural enrichment. As the international language, English facilitates cultural exchange between different nations. While English can grant us an access to a broadened range of cultural experiences from various nations, we can use the language to allow our neighbors in the international community to have a chance to enjoy the exquisite beauty of the Korean traditions. Through this bilateral interchange, cultural prosperity will be achieved not just in our country, but also in other nations.

As we have observed, English as today's lingua franca can truly benefit Korea to a great extent. As the international trade consists of most of our economy, the English language plays a pivotal role to sustain our national wealth. Moreoever, true academic advancement would be difficult without English since a great deal of human knowledge is being stored in English. English is also benefial in such a way that it is an important tool for international cultural exchange. Considering all these benefits English can bring to our nation, therefore, we all should put more efforts to acquire the English language.

Excellent job, and I hope all your classmates read this and learn from it.

Keep up the great work and see you in class soon,

~ Jason

Jason Renshaw
Jason Renshaw
Admin
Admin

http://onlinEnglish.net

Back to top Go down

[OP3] How English can benefit Korea as a nation Empty Re: [OP3] How English can benefit Korea as a nation

Post  Sera Jung Thu Apr 10 2008, 06:43

I think this writing is so organized that it helps me understand the benefit of using English clearly. You categorized the positive points in economic, academic and cultural advancement. Those are so clear and I learned a lot
Sera Jung
Sera Jung
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

Post  Jung namsook Thu Apr 10 2008, 16:45

I feel the same as Youunghee comment on your essay. I think that you are the one prepared for a qualifed teacher. since yYou also understand that how English would benefit your students and sail toward teaching English very well. At times, people doubt that English will harm and diminish the influence on our economy, it's not, though. I'm expecting your next essay.

Take care,
Namsook

p.s.
Your intelligible way to speak in Phonology class was really great!
Jung namsook
Jung namsook
Superstar!
Superstar!

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down