English Advance!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[OP4] What do you think needs to be done to improve English Education in your country?

3 posters

Go down

[OP4] What do you think needs to be done to improve English Education in your country? Empty [OP4] What do you think needs to be done to improve English Education in your country?

Post  Hyun a Ji Sat Apr 05 2008, 09:09

Most of students don't like English in public school except for some students who took extra classes. Because they think English is just subject as mathematics or science. We should change their way of thinking and attitudes; English is not subject but language. The most important thing is helping them like English. As we know the 21st century will be an exciting new environment for students. We can use many kinds of material in class.

First of all, we use more variety of materials. Students like movie, cartoon and game. If we use many kinds of material, students will like English. Watching movie can help students practice understanding and listening, even if they do not understand everything at first. They feel
comfortable in English class. In addition to, they won't think English is not difficult but interesting. In teachers' practicum, I saw they were happy doing interesting game like vocabulary battle.

Secondly, they learn practical English using various program. They can learn idiom, expression and vocabulary used in real situation. In teachers' practicum, I saw unnecessariliy formal, uncommon English in their textbook. I had a embarassing experience used unusual language to native speaker. To their future, we should teach English practical way for real-life purposes. Thus we will use not only textbook but also many kinds of practical material.

To conclude, we help students like English. Moreover, we should try to use exciting ,interesting and useful program continually. If they think English is interesting, their English skill will improve.
Hyun a Ji
Hyun a Ji
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

[OP4] What do you think needs to be done to improve English Education in your country? Empty Re: [OP4] What do you think needs to be done to improve English Education in your country?

Post  Younghee choi Sat Apr 05 2008, 20:41

You're right. Your argument for teacher's role as a developer of various teaching materials is well-grounded.
Thanks to the development of technology, we are able to easily get access to a variety of informaiton and media than before, especially with respect to English materials.
Since we exclusively speak Korean and rarely use English on a daily basis, we are learning English as a Foreign language rather than English as a second language.

It is, however, hard to say that we are absolutely in a situation of EFL because of the high possibility of being exposed to the language. We can also obtain a number of authentic materials with ease. We can be immerged into English if we make a little more effort.

Therefore, teachers should be cognizant of the fact and try to keep finding good teaching materials to evoke students' interest in English.
Younghee choi
Younghee choi
Superstar!
Superstar!

Back to top Go down

[OP4] What do you think needs to be done to improve English Education in your country? Empty Re: [OP4] What do you think needs to be done to improve English Education in your country?

Post  Kanghoon Jang Sun Apr 06 2008, 20:10

We have to change the ways to study English in school. However, it would be hard to change because our system is focused on amount of tests. I think that your ideas are really great. English is one of the languages instead of subjects. Therefore, we can use a lot of useful stuff that you are interested in when we study English. Based on my experiences, I like English movies so much. I always watch a English movie I like everyday. It makes me interested in English. I think that is inspirations of English.

I hope that President Lee can change English education in good way.
Kanghoon Jang
Kanghoon Jang
Superstar!
Superstar!

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down