English Advance!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Classroom survey

Go down

Classroom survey Empty Classroom survey

Post  Youn Sujin Mon May 05 2008, 22:36

On April 29th, we carried out a research about tips to improve various English skills in our composition class. The skills discussed fall into 6 categories: reading, writing, listening, speaking, grammar, and vocabulary.

First of all, in terms of top tip for improving reading ability, 3 students including Hee-young, Sera, and In-kab agreed on that reading as much as possible is the key factor in enhancing reading skills. In-kab, in particular, mentioned that summarizing will be also helpful. On the other hand, Nam-sook and I had the same opinion that we should keep reading without looking up to a dictionary. We thought that the action looking up to the new words could interrupt the whole reading process.

Next, we figured out how to improve writing proficiency. Hee-young and I shard the perspective that reading many articles to adapt them in our own writing. Kang-hoon and In-kab indicated a lot of various writing practice will be helpful. To be specific, Kang-hoon laid emphasis on writing as often as possible. Se-ra, pointed out that we should think about the writer's method while reading.

The best thing to become better with listening was making the most of English media, according to Se-young's, Kang-hoon's and my opinion. Hwan-ki had some similarity to these ideas in that he thought being exposed to english speaking environments is important. Interestingly, Jong-woo pointed out that dictation is necessary for better listening skills. I agree with Jong-woo's opinion, because dictation helps us to clarify what we can and can't listen exactly.

We then moved on to discuss the number one priority in speaking skills. I think the majority of my classmates, including myself, Hwan-ki and Jong-woo, took the position that getting rid of worries in speaking is important, while Sera and In-kab focused on practicing conversation. Se-ra thought learning useful expressions would come into handy, and In-kab also added that repeating what english speakers speak could be a good practice method to improve speaking skills.

Our class then proceeded to touch on the issue of better understanding of grammar. Hwan-ki suggested we should start from basic grammar skills, and Se-young recommended choosing easy grammar books. Jason stated that noticing patterns and rules in real input and using them ourselves. I also thought adapting genuine language usage into one's own writing and speaking situation. (I think I made some mistake in delivering my opinion to Jason) Also, Se-ra highlighted learning grammar with sentences. I think this idea has something in common with genuine language usage, too.

The last skill investigated was vocabulary and almost everyone's opinions differed on this topic to some degree. Se-ra and Hwan-ki suggested how to memorize vocabulary easily. While Se-ra presented learning vocabularies with groups of synonyms or same suffixes, Hwan-ki recommended associating the vocabularies with personal experiences. Se-young thought experiencing a variety of language usage with new words to become familiar with the vocabularies. This was pararell to my own idea that we should learn from various resources. On contrary, Hee-young focused on reading a lot and memorizing.

Whenever I'm asked about tips to improve English skills, there were not many things to recommend. However, through this survey, I had the chance to think it over myself, gather others' ideas, and compare them with my own opinion. Now, I found a lot more answers to enhance our English proficiency. It was an intersting and informative experience.

Last edited by Youn Sujin on Mon May 05 2008, 22:38; edited 1 time in total
Youn Sujin
Youn Sujin
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

Classroom survey Empty classroom survey

Post  Youn Sujin Mon May 05 2008, 22:36

Can I delete this quote myself? I made it by mistake. I know I can edit it, but where's the delete button?
Youn Sujin
Youn Sujin
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down