English Advance!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[Final Exam] Video News Article from Billy [Jang, Eunkil]

+6
bakbann
Liz
Bae Sung-han
kim young-ah
Oksun
billy
10 posters

Go down

[Final Exam] Video News Article from Billy [Jang, Eunkil] Empty [Final Exam] Video News Article from Billy [Jang, Eunkil]

Post  billy Fri May 09 2008, 03:58

billy
billy
Flyer
Flyer

Back to top Go down

[Final Exam] Video News Article from Billy [Jang, Eunkil] Empty A Useful Summary of the video

Post  billy Mon May 19 2008, 16:48

A Full Script of the Video Clip

We know how to lengthen and improve the lives of people with cancer. But We've chosen its nation to turn our backs on some of us who have disease. I urge you to reform health care responsibly, morally, and aggressively. And uh.. save millions of us.

For me the most important comparison here in the disparity in cancer care
simply put 560,000 deaths we have real in this country.. a full third of them could be prevented we could save close to around 200,000 lives every year if we simply applied the information and technology, and the knowledge that we have to the people that need it the most.

To me.. I am not the smartest guy on this panel by any stretch of imagination. But if we have something in house and there is somebody down the street that needs it
we are not walking down the street and give it to him, we are failing.

A Brief Summary of the video clip

Cancer survivors Elizabeth Edwards, the wife of former presidential candidate Sen. Joh Edwards, and Lance Armstrong, the seven time winner of the Tour de France, appeared on Capitol Hill, asking lawmakers to do more for cancer victims and reform health care in the U.S.
billy
billy
Flyer
Flyer

Back to top Go down

[Final Exam] Video News Article from Billy [Jang, Eunkil] Empty Re: [Final Exam] Video News Article from Billy [Jang, Eunkil]

Post  billy Mon May 19 2008, 18:42

Outline some good pre-listening activities

Subjects: around 30 students of the 1st or 2nd graders,
Taegu Foreign Language High School

1. Predict the content of what they are about to listen to and elicit what students know about the subject, what they don’t know, and what they would like to know.

- First, I am going to show some pictures of Lance Amstrong and ask students who he is and what he is famous for. Then, students may know or not recognize the man in the picture. Let them know he is the 7-time winner of the World Championship, Tour De France and survived a serious cancer which was transferred to his abdomen and brain.

2. Before or after the first trial of listening, I may show the following word list, helpful to listening activity and have students learn about them.

e.g.) lengthen /disparity /improve/ prevent/ turn one's back on/ close to/ urge / apply / reform stretch of imagination/ comparison / save etc.

3. I will let students know about the importance of audience's role in the listening: students need to be physically prepared for listening, attentive, and if necessary, take some notes for clarification.

Last edited by billy on Thu May 22 2008, 07:41; edited 2 times in total
billy
billy
Flyer
Flyer

Back to top Go down

[Final Exam] Video News Article from Billy [Jang, Eunkil] Empty Re: [Final Exam] Video News Article from Billy [Jang, Eunkil]

Post  billy Thu May 22 2008, 07:40

Outline some good post-listening comprehension activities

I would have thought of more innovative comprehension activities, but I must confess that I wasn't diligent or creative enough to come up with a better idea. So, I go with the main stream of comprehension check activity. First, I will make a comprehension checklist which includes three T/F questions or two multiple choice questions. Considering the length of the video clip, I don't think I have enough time for discussion. However, after students complete answering questions, I will not just make a record of their score. Rather than that, I will have to check the answers together with students while adding some tips or explanations.

Outline some good post-listening productive activities

1. I may make a table regarding the content of the video clip which has some blanks students need to fill in while listening to the video clip a couple of tims more depending on the students' proficiency level. This may be a comprehension activity, but it is a productive activity in that students need to 'reorganize' what they hear into another format.

2. I may give a copy of the whole script to each student with some blanks in it. Now students need to fill in the blanks without listening to the video clip. Here, the blanks should be made for either content or functional words. If they are 'content' blanks, we can check their comprehension level while focusing on the topic. And, with 'functional' blanks we can focus more on students' grammatical understanding.

3. If possible, I may ask students to 'rewrite' the summary of what they heard from the video clip into their own language. If necessary, I may provide students a pre-arranged summary with some blanks. Depending on their proficiency level, I may have to remove all the cue words and ask them rewrite and retell the story in their own language.

4. I also may make students role-play, so they may have the chance to act as a witness in front of their classmates or within the group and tell their opinion on the given issue or another topic they may make up for this practice. In this activity, they can have an opportunity to practice speaking and learn how to make a presentation.
billy
billy
Flyer
Flyer

Back to top Go down

Post  Oksun Thu May 29 2008, 07:28

First of all, I was impressed to see the full script and brief and clear summary you provided. I could understand what the video clip was about so easily due to those.
You choose a good topic to deal with in your class, I think. - Considering your students' level.
Now I'd like to show you a strategy called "Hot seat". It could be applied as a post-listening activity. All students can develop a better understanding of the characters through thinking, reacting, questioning or responding in role of the chracter. The instructions are as follows:
1. Some students are asked to think and act like characters in this video clip while others ask these characters questions related to the story. Pretend we are in a TV studio being interviewed by an audience such as seen on the Oprah Winfrey show.
2. Chairs for each of the characters may be placed at the front of the classroom.
3. Prior to beginning the "talk show" have the students write down questions that they could ask each character. They can ask insightful and challenging questions.
4. Teacher can model being one of the characters.^^
5. Teacher can play "Oprah" to help the questioning begin or at any time so as to model the types of questions which encourage critical thinking.
6.Invite other students to role play the characters.
This strategy will be approprite for the students in advanced level. How about trying it in your own class? Very Happy
Oksun
Oksun
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

Post  kim young-ah Thu May 29 2008, 10:36

Suffering from, overcoming and surviving CANCER is great....
As for me, I am in a poor health and sometimes i feel like dying... but after seeing the woman in this article, I feel sorry And again i make up my mind to try to live healthy Even though sometimes life deceives me myself....

In your lesson plan, I like three things. First, you set the concrete subject(I missed it actually). I didn't do that on purpose because the professor gave the general subject like secondary school students. But it is very important. It can remind me of learning activity for whom. Next, in pre- activity, if there's enough information about the article, students can understand the news more interestingly and better. Last, in post comprehension activity, you suggested T/F questions . Similarly I suggested o,x questions. But your suggestion contained not recording.(I didn't intend to score, either) It means no burden^^ So students can focus on the video news heartily.

And if I were you, I would like to add the composition activity. The activity is that students imagine the main character themselves and think their own affairs. So after survival/death , how will be the situation? A little afraid, but it'll make students think about the life. Is it very difficult?
kim young-ah
kim young-ah
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

Post  Bae Sung-han Thu May 29 2008, 11:13

Excellent Job you did with the video. At first, I didn't catch what they are talking about becasue their speech is so fast and the situation isn't recoganizable to me. There are only three people, not conversing one another, but speeching in front of people. - it looked like to me.
The lesson plan is good but a bit difficult for students in lower level or intermediate level. As long as I know, you are teaching advanced students, so you might choose this one for them.
With this video, I like your T/F questions in order to help their understanding and the fact that you will check the answer with studendts together is also superb. Their speaking doesn't have an emotion but only gives information to others, so that they need to check them together.
I love your post-understanding activity that you gives a table to students. Students might get general idea what will listen or what they have to catch more specific details, which needs both skimming skills or scanning skills respectively.
And definitely students in an advanced level need encouragement for them to do more productive activities such as rewriting based on their comprehension about the article and speaking related to the disease or patience, etc.
As I told you above, I think you need to tell students the situation first. This will be better for students to understand it.

ote="billy"]Outline some good pre-listening activities

Subjects: around 30 students of the 1st or 2nd graders,
Taegu Foreign Language High School

1. Predict the content of what they are about to listen to and elicit what students know about the subject, what they don’t know, and what they would like to know.

- First, I am going to show some pictures of Lance Amstrong and ask students who he is and what he is famous for. Then, students may know or not recognize the man in the picture. Let them know he is the 7-time winner of the World Championship, Tour De France and survived a serious cancer which was transferred to his abdomen and brain.

2. Before or after the first trial of listening, I may show the following word list, helpful to listening activity and have students learn about them.

e.g.) lengthen /disparity /improve/ prevent/ turn one's back on/ close to/ urge / apply / reform stretch of imagination/ comparison / save etc.

3. I will let students know about the importance of audience's role in the listening: students need to be physically prepared for listening, attentive, and if necessary, take some notes for clarification.[/quote]
Bae Sung-han
Bae Sung-han
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

[Final Exam] Video News Article from Billy [Jang, Eunkil] Empty I missed one thing...

Post  kim young-ah Thu May 29 2008, 11:37

And I'm wondering your post productive activity no.2 In that activity, you mentioned the content words and functional words. I can understand the content words but in the part "with functional blanks, we can focus more on students' the grammatical understanding". I am confused the functional and grammatical because we learned the difference between function and grammar.

kim young-ah wrote:Suffering from, overcoming and surviving CANCER is great....
As for me, I am in a poor health and sometimes i feel like dying... but after seeing the woman in this article, I feel sorry And again i make up my mind to try to live healthy Even though sometimes life deceives me myself....

In your lesson plan, I like three things. First, you set the concrete subject(I missed it actually). I didn't do that on purpose because the professor gave the general subject like secondary school students. But it is very important. It can remind me of learning activity for whom. Next, in pre- activity, if there's enough information about the article, students can understand the news more interestingly and better. Last, in post comprehension activity, you suggested T/F questions . Similarly I suggested o,x questions. But your suggestion contained not recording.(I didn't intend to score, either) It means no burden^^ So students can focus on the video news heartily.

And if I were you, I would like to add the composition activity. The activity is that students imagine the main character themselves and think their own affairs. So after survival/death , how will be the situation? A little afraid, but it'll make students think about the life. Is it very difficult?
kim young-ah
kim young-ah
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

[Final Exam] Video News Article from Billy [Jang, Eunkil] Empty Feedback

Post  Liz Thu May 29 2008, 12:38

1. what I think of the video content

Personally, my favorite aunt had a breast cancer and got through 2 major surgeries. The first surgery didn't work, so she had to get the 2nd one. If we had advanced medical technology, she wouldn't had the 2nd surgery. Patients must be the most painful one but the family members are also suffering. To prevent these tragedies, I do hope lawmakers do something on cancer care.

2. what I like about your lesson plan

As a pre-listening activity, you are going to teach Ss the importance of audience's role. I really like that. This is a sort of teaching Ss how to fish, isn't it? I'd like to teach this to my students when I do the listening part next time.

I also liked the way you checked Ss' comprehension. This listening part is quite difficult. So I think T/F questions and multiple choice questions are a proper choice.

3. what I don't understand or would like to see clarified in your lesson plan

You are going to have students learn words from the word list. How are you going to do that?

4. At least one potential improvement or addition that could make the lesson plan even better

For the second productive activities, you are going to make blanks for either content or functional words. My suggestion is making two kinds of worksheets. One student has a worksheet which has blanks for contents words, and the other student has a worksheet which has blanks for function words. Two of them make one team, and they put their backs together. This way, they can't watch the other students' worksheet. Then they read their worksheet in turns to fill out their blanks.
Liz
Liz
Flyer
Flyer

Back to top Go down

Post  bakbann Fri May 30 2008, 06:23

1. I was impressed by these two cancer survivors. There are thousands of patients who give up their hope and just are waiting for the death helplessly. However, these guys are not overwhelmed by their cancer but rather combat their disease. Now they are claiming that patients, including cancer sufferers, deserve better health care system and treatment by society and government under the law. I hope this will pave the way for total reform of American health care system and for legislation for cancer patients.

2. First of all, I like letting students know how important the audience's role is. This is indispensible learning in communication which is not taught in most classes though. Thanks to a great teacher like you, Billy, students will have this basic rule in mind whenever they do listening.

Moreover, this lesson plan enables students to develop their idea in writing step by step. Otherwise students may be panicked. That is, students will be perplexed if they are abruptly required to write a whole essay of several paragraphs, without any warming up. However, I believe that gradual leading to writing activity will help students use their writing ability at maximum.

3. How are you going to have students learn new words? Will you give them corresponding Korean words directly, English meaning or synonym, or use any other method? One more thing, I can't actually understand your activity for productivity. Students will tell opinions specifically about what?

4. What about providing some brief background knowledge about American health care system and its problems as a part of pre-listening activity? I think that this will help not only their understanding while listening this video but also knowledge about the US society which can be helpful to communicate with Americans. Moreover, in the role play part, students, as lawmakers, can discuss for cancer victims and health care system reform.
bakbann
bakbann
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Eun-jung Mon Jun 02 2008, 18:42

1. These days there are so many diseases. Some of the diseases are hard to cure but others are possible to cure only if treated properly. But many people suffer from the disease and even die because it costs a lot of money to receive proper medical treatment. Government should make an effort to seek ways to support patients to get proper medical treatment and provide them proper information and technology.

2. Your full script of the video clip is really impressive. You must have worked hard to catch every single word. And in general your lesson plan is very well-organized. On the post-listening productive activities part, you presented as many as four activities. Especially I like "language shack" activity among those. Through that activity, students can get both content comprehension and grammatical accuracy. And they have to use a variety of strategies including guessing, memorization, etc. So that activity is very good choice.

3. As you mentioned, post-listening "fill in the blanks" activity can be classified as a comprehension activity.

4. Some writing activity can be added. One example is to write an article about several tips to stay healthy.

Kim Eun-jung
Flyer
Flyer

Back to top Go down

Post  Nam-suk Tue Jun 03 2008, 08:19

First of all, this is really timely topic considering the controversial rumor of the privatization of health insurance under current government..and not only in Korea, it is a global issue like we can see the movie "sicko" directed by Michael Moore who is filmmaker and one of America's most fearless political commentators. Students might have a great chance to think about health insurance and our current situation as a way to understand this clip.

I think your plan is generally very clear and the thing that this video clip is not too long is also good for students' understanding..and T/F questions might be good for a brief checking of students' comprehension and your explanation with students about each question is absolutely effective way for Ss' understanding and it might also avoid time-consuming work...In the part of "role play", as one way of your plan, each group can have their own roles like "lung cancer patient", "administrator in the health insurance department", or " witness of a certain case that is related to this issue" like you mentioned..This way might give Ss a chance for more focusing on a certain role to share their own opinions and thoughts about one(that might be more various and profound) and having less distractive and confusing atmosphere of group working especially when it comes to speaking practice.. Thank you for your good plan..^^
Nam-suk
Nam-suk
Flyer
Flyer

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Jin-Young Tue Jun 03 2008, 12:26

1. This content is related to the kind of social problem. Therefore, this story will lead students to think of the health care system in a critical way. For sure, it involves the health care of the United States, but students may want to focus on the korean health care system. I think 1st or 2nd high school students get much interest in that social-related problems. Also, students may learn a strong will from Tour De France, a cancer survivor and reflect their own hardships positively.

2. I think the introduction of some pictures of Lance Amstrong makes students brainstorm the main theme of the video clip. I like your first intriguing activity. And your considerate instruction about the audience' right attitudes will have a good impact on the process. Although three T/F questions or two multiple choice questions are a little short, your students have such great abilities especially in the field of English that identification questions about specific or overall contents should be diminished, just as you did. Instead of that, more extensive activities are suitable regarding their proficiency levels.

3, 4. As your lesson includes several productive ways, I think the success of your lesson plan largely depends on how much they are eager to participate in the creative activities and show their abilities in all aspects of English. If I have to give my comment about an insufficient part of your lesson plan, I wonder if you cover all these activities in time. I think more focusing on the writing or speaking activity would be better. Anyway, I want to say that again, "It's a great and practical lesson plan." cheers
Kim Jin-Young
Kim Jin-Young
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

Post  Joo Un-jin Wed Jun 04 2008, 19:55

1. Your topic is related with welfare for cancer patients. it can improve students' attention to social welfare for the weak. Also students can learn Armstrong's strong will for life and patience. It is so educational and humanistic.

2. What I like in your lesson plan most is that you do various kinds of activities for checking students' comprehension. You do rewriting, filling the content/function words and reorganizing. During the process, I think that students' comprehension for the news improves.
And you say the importance of audience's role in listening. I found that I have ignored letting students know it-the principle! At the next listening class, I will explain them to my students.

3. You said that you did the activities on students' profiency level. i wonder if the class is divided by their level. If not, I wonder how you do that in a class.

4. Your showing the word list to students is good. But I think it's better that students learn them in a meaning context. You can make questions about them or let students guess the meaning in a context.
Joo Un-jin
Joo Un-jin
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down