English Advance!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Final Exam: Video News from Eunjin Cho

+7
Ji-eun
bobosbong
Nam-suk
Kim Hyunjin
Han Kyoung Jae
Lee yujin
eunjin39
11 posters

Go down

Final Exam: Video News from Eunjin Cho Empty Final Exam: Video News from Eunjin Cho

Post  eunjin39 Mon May 12 2008, 22:00

Crackdown on plastic bags in China

eunjin39
eunjin39
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

Final Exam: Video News from Eunjin Cho Empty Final Exam - Part 2

Post  eunjin39 Thu May 22 2008, 08:08

1. summary

30 km away from Beijing, the landfill is full of deserted used plastic bags both on the surface and under the ground. The Chinese government launched crackdown to decrease using plastic bags from June 1st. Plastic bag makers are worried about their business going down, but clothes bag makers are busy from producing the bags to meet the number of orders which far exceeded what they had before. However, this cannot be the ultimate solution for huge need of the Chinese.

2. pre-listening activities

①To draw attention from students, I will show a real plastic bag or just pictures of it to the students and talk about it casually. (where do you use it? What are the advantages of it? When people started using it? What are some characteristic of it?) And then, I'll naturally move the topic to talk about the Chinese plastic bag use.
② I'll hand out a paper filled with some important vocabulary in the news and will ask them to guess the meaning before listening to the news.
③ I'll also give the students a piece of paper to write down the contents freely while listening.

3. post-listening comprehension activities

① Fist of all, I'll let them listen to the news for two times and then ask them the story of the news. (While listening, students should write down the contents. In this case, they should write down anything just as they listened. ) In this step, I'll keep an eye on my students whether they understood the contents or not.
② And then, I will give the students a news script paper with some blanks to fill in ( the words that are difficult for students to listen to.) while they are listening to it. And then I'll let them listen to it for two times.
③ Finally, I'll let them listen to the news again and ask them to guess the meaning of the vocabulary on the paper that I gave them while listening and compare it to the one that they guessed before listening. And then, in the end, we'll talk about correct meaning.

4. post-listening productive activities

① I want to ask my students to make groups of 3 ~ 4 and discuss what kind of creative invention can help the current Chinese crisis related to using plastic bags a lot and help improve soil pollution. Students should make a poster which promote the use of their invention.
② Next, I will ask my students to think about Korea's situation. Even though the government launched regulations on using plastic bags, do people really follow the rules? I want to ask the students to think about the pragmatic ways to use plastic bags less in our life with their group members.
③ Last but not least, I will give my students homework to do some research on successful cases or efforts to reduce trashes or using plastic bags in other countries. They have to use searching tools like "google" or "yahoo," using the key words that they learnt during class and the result should be in English.
④ Another homework is writing a journal about anything that the students felt or thought after watching the news article.
eunjin39
eunjin39
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

Final Exam: Video News from Eunjin Cho Empty Nice topic to share.

Post  Lee yujin Mon Jun 02 2008, 20:00

First, I think your topic is appropriate to your young students, because they should know how enviromental problem is getting serious nowdays.
This chinese goverment's measure to reduce the use of plastic bags could be considered as a few steps forward better world.

You can provide more interesting pre-activities related to this topic, not just showing plastic bags or presenting vocabulary. How about letting them guess how many plastic bags we use everyday or how would be the world like without plastic bags at all.^^

Your comprehension activities will definitely help students understand the content, but I think you 'd better ask them to find the main idea before asking them to fiil the blanks.

Last your production activities might help studendts cooperate each other and give ample opprtunities to use English. In addition, you can try more form-focused acrivities to promote students' accuracy.
Lee yujin
Lee yujin
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

Final Exam: Video News from Eunjin Cho Empty Re: Final Exam: Video News from Eunjin Cho

Post  Han Kyoung Jae Tue Jun 03 2008, 09:04

First of all, I like your choice. Your video content is so related to the real life that students can focus on the content well. Also, now in Korea, there are many kinds of different eco-friendly products so the topic can include many issues to discuss. That's why I like your topic.
And pre-listening activity is proper in my opinion. Just showing video news and related vocabulary is not enough to arouse their interest, but carrying real plastic bag and talking about that is good enough to arouse their interest.
However if I were you, I'd like to complement the post listening activities for their comprehension. I think if there are some more specific procedures to check students' comprehension the lesson plan can be more perfect. For example you can give them some time to talk with other students about the content and they can compare what they understand to what others understand.
At last, your post listening productive activities are very appropriate. Of them I like your homework because they can get some more time to think about what they learn in the class.
Han Kyoung Jae
Han Kyoung Jae
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

Final Exam: Video News from Eunjin Cho Empty Detailed Contents!

Post  Kim Hyunjin Tue Jun 03 2008, 10:06

I think that you orgainzed your class with well detailed contents.
For example, you showed the specific questions for students. Also, the homeowrks, "reseaching the cases or efforts, reducing trashed and so on " are related in the topic, and the topic is interesting in these days, too.
There are a few things I wonder. How long are you going to teach students the topic? Maybe, it needs two periods, I think. How will you divid the class, if you teach this topic during tow periods? One more! Actually, this is not realted in the part 2. It is very helpful to find out some meaning and using of difficult words on the step of post-listening activities. But I want to know whether there are any other tips in order to let and help students write a journal or not.
Kim Hyunjin
Kim Hyunjin
Flyer
Flyer

Back to top Go down

Final Exam: Video News from Eunjin Cho Empty Re: Final Exam: Video News from Eunjin Cho

Post  Nam-suk Wed Jun 04 2008, 19:16

Currently, topics related with environment are absolutely eye-catching things since it's getting serious that we can actually feel and see it..also country "China" can be good source as it is considering all disturbance there nowadays.. First of all, I liked your idea of using authentic materials like a real plastic bag and pictures while pre-listening activities..even though it's no so important thing in this clip, but teacher can draw Ss' attention to start off to the main part just like you mentioned..^^ For the part of post-listening comprehension activities is appropriate like each step for their gradual understanding about this clip..and it might be a little better if Ss can have some time for sharing what they listened in this stage..As for the productive activities, 1, and 2 can be done together(like while they are thinking about Chinese case, teacher can make them think about Korean situation as well..)like your plan..and the thing to have them write their own journals about this clip looked a great idea to me..^^
Nam-suk
Nam-suk
Flyer
Flyer

Back to top Go down

Final Exam: Video News from Eunjin Cho Empty Oh~! Plastic Bags

Post  bobosbong Wed Jun 04 2008, 19:47

Hi~Eun-jin!

good points:
wow~you are a real kind teacher to show a real plastic bag to your students. This will definitely get their attention on it, further helping the comprehension of the article. My favorite part of your lesson plan is the "guessing words part". Letting them guess the meanings of the words in the pre/while listening section is an actualization of intuitive learning itself, isn't it? From my experience as an English learner, passively learned words-things just given the meaning from a teacher don't last long; that's one of the downside of expository learning, I guess. Although students are not willing to explore the meanings, it's all for them; Bitters do good to the stomach.^-^ I totally agree with your way. go for it.

an improvement:
After listening activities are too difficult. They are the topics for free talking level students. Or why don't you make the questions more in detail and simpler: from wh questions to yes/no questions, etc.
bobosbong
bobosbong
Flyer
Flyer

Back to top Go down

Post  Ji-eun Wed Jun 04 2008, 20:11

Hello, Eun-jin! ^^ I think it is the first time to make a comment with your post! Anyway i am happy to do this.

Your video news is pretty impressed to me. And i think it will work well to the students, too. Because as you know, this situation is similar with Korea, and students know about the enviornment problems very well. So they will meet this video news freely. I think it is really good point for listening activity. No matter contents or lesson plan good, if students do not feel interest with that activity, i think this is not useful for the class. Do you agree? ^^

Moreover pre-listening activity sounds good! If teacher shows a real plastic bag, maybe students will show their interest to the class. And they might feel free to talk about this familar topic. Hench all of us know the problem of using plastic bag very well, right? So they will share thier opinion freely. But i think post-listening activity can be little bit boring to the students. Just filling in the blanks several times with this difficult full-English video can be a burden for them, i think. So if you put more fun activity in here, it will be more effective for them. ^^ And post-listening productive activity is really impressed to me. If it is ok to show my idea to this activity, i want to make this activity little bit simple. How about let them make an environment newspaper with big one paper for each group connected with plastic bag? Write down the serious of enviornment problems and make some solutions for each problems will be a good way for post listening activity, just i think. ^^
Ji-eun
Ji-eun
Flyer
Flyer

Back to top Go down

Post  Joo Un-jin Wed Jun 04 2008, 20:38

1. Wow! Your topic is the same as mine. What a coincidence!^^

2. I especially like your word check-up. In my case, I teach the words in pre-pistening activity. In that activity, students know the meaning of the words and then listen to the news. But you let students know the words during the listening process. At the end of the post-listening comprehension activity, students can exactly know the meaning after guessing. I think your way improves their memory for the words.
And your various post-listning productive activities are really appropriate.
Last writing a journal is really good. By doing that, students can review the words, content and activities they did. Moreover they can reflect themselves-how active they participated in the class and how they can do better next class.
Joo Un-jin
Joo Un-jin
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

Final Exam: Video News from Eunjin Cho Empty Many good trials in your lesson plan!

Post  Ryu Jeong A Wed Jun 04 2008, 22:32

First of all, one of the outstanding methods of yours is to present the real objects to the students to draw attention and elicit their oral production naturally. That means they have been given much more opportunities to say anything from trivial to well-structured charateristics of them. I'm sure this will also lower students' feeling nervous because it is not that difficult task to perform. Secondly, it's a unique idea not to let students learn important vocabularies before listening to the news article. Rather, you designed teaching useful words related to this article in an inductive way. This will surely help them to have better retention of vocabularies in the future. Lastly, the thing that I want to add is in the post-listening productive part where you were supposed to have students discuss creative inventions and solutions about the topic and make a poster of it. I think this activity itself is okay to adapt to the class but I recommend you to make students boosted, willing to be involved in group work. In other words, a feedback or device to stimulate students like getting them to show and present their group ideas to the class. I think this will activate students group working more than before. Smile
Ryu Jeong A
Ryu Jeong A
Flyer
Flyer

Back to top Go down

Final Exam: Video News from Eunjin Cho Empty I like your post-listening productive activities!

Post  Ji Young, Kim Thu Jun 05 2008, 02:51

I like the news article and your lesson plan, especially your post-listening productive activities. The environment is a really big issue these days. So we often deal with the topic even in English class, but it seems like students don't really relate the things they learn in class with their own life.

However, your activities will help students relate the topic to their own life and seriously think about what they can do for the environment, which will make the lesson more authentic and meaningful. I belive the ultimate goal of education is to help students actually do something for themselves or for the society, not just acquire a large amount of knowledge.

And I also like the writing part. To learn English, we need to write as much as possible, but in our English education, we don't push students enough to write in English. It must be good and desirable to encourage students do journal writing regularly.
Ji Young, Kim
Ji Young, Kim
Flyer
Flyer

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Eun-jung Thu Jun 05 2008, 12:32

You had a good choice of the topic. Environment protection is a matter of concern of everyone in the globe. So it can surely attract students' interest.

Your lesson plan is really well-knitted and the procedures are specified and organized by stages. If students are given a difficult task at first, they become overwhelmed. But if they are given a task from easy one to difficult one gradually, they can carry out the task. Your activities are arranged that way. Especially on your post-listening comprehension activity, students are supposed to do three tasks from writing down anything what they hear to filling in the blanks to vocabulary study while listening to the news several times. I think it's good and helpful to improve students' listening ability.

Kim Eun-jung
Flyer
Flyer

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down