English Advance!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[OP6] The ways of native and local teacher can team up

Go down

[OP6] The ways of native and local teacher can team up Empty [OP6] The ways of native and local teacher can team up

Post  Jung namsook Tue May 13 2008, 11:29

It’s been several years to introduce native speakers to English class. It still has doubts that English native speakers and Korean teachers could team up to provide more effective class in public schools. Although both teachers are qualified enough to lift up the integration of English class as well as motivating students to join the class, they are lack of instructing English class as team teaching. In three ways, I would like to suggest building up the quality English class in public school.

To begin with, Korean English teachers and native English speaking teachers should have a conference on a regular basis. They should be taking more time to research and study together to deal with the difficulties and methodology each other. When learning English from native speakers, there must be drawbacks as well as advantages and vice versa for Korean teachers. Therefore, they do need to discuss the process of English instruction in accordance with the general English curriculum. Without the agreement of the process, students can easily be confused and cannot be motivated even from two teachers. Secondary students are more sensitive than any others so if they find no close related class programs from both teachers, they might neglect attending English Class.

Next, they have to give a coordination class. Most public schools now assign grammar and reading lessons for Korean teachers while native speakers are in charge of educating productive skills. In my opinion, it’s less efficient to limit the lesson contents for certain specific teachers because many English learners could understand grammar taught by English speaking teacher better than taking a lesson from Korean teacher. When grammar explained in Korean, students have trouble applying the structure in speaking. In that, it’s also possible for students to be more motivated learning analytic skills from English speaking teachers. Hence, every class outlines must be coordinated by both teachers depending on the characteristics of a lesson. From my experience, I was more excited to take a grammar lesson with English speaking teacher because I felt that I was taking a fun conversation class.

Last but certainly not least, both teachers never hesitate to share the opinion about the lesson plan, long-term English programs. There can be always trials and errors to precede the instruction. Throughout the significant trials, they will be able to lead English instruction to more highly useful and advanced class than ever. The most important thing is a constant cooperation between teachers. Unfortunately, we now have no sufficient efforts to share some issues and advice. Sometimes, they hardly communicate with each other and have built strong rooted distrust between teachers. In that situation, it’s very difficult to expect effective English classroom. I think they have duty to show how they can have good relationship and support with their work since it will also be a lesson for students.

To sum up, it is essential to hire more English speaking teachers along with competent Korean English teachers. Unlike other classes, English is a language course. It is inevitable for students to expose to more natural English usage as much as possible. For this to happen, they have a periodical meeting based on the intimate cooperation, resulting in they could take a correction for a better English instruction. As a result, students will fully take advantage of the English class by way of coordinated teachers.
Jung namsook
Jung namsook
Superstar!
Superstar!

Back to top Go down