English Advance!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Final Exam: Video News from Park Bong kyung

+4
Hyo-Jin Kim
Lee Pilsu
Jung Yoojin
bobosbong
8 posters

Go down

Final Exam: Video News from Park Bong kyung Empty Final Exam: Video News from Park Bong kyung

Post  bobosbong Thu May 15 2008, 10:50

bobosbong
bobosbong
Flyer
Flyer

Back to top Go down

Final Exam: Video News from Park Bong kyung Empty Re: Final Exam: Video News from Park Bong kyung

Post  bobosbong Thu May 22 2008, 08:58

bobosbong wrote:

1. Summary: A south Korean toddler performs Beatles' songs, which catching much attention from the world on the Internet. His mother wishes he will get a good education that can enhance his talent in singing and performance.

2. pre-listening activity:
A brief introduction of Beatles
give out a handout of the words in the news article, only the important words.

3. post-listening comprehension check:
Give out a comprehension check handout including some questions related to the video news:
How many people were in the news?
What's the toddler's nationality?
What was he doing?
Who is the woman?
Write down a summary with 'one' sentence.
etc.

4. post-listening productive activity:
1) dictation of 'Hey Jude': prepare two different sets of handout so that two students could fill out the blanks together(information gap activity)

2) sing Hey Jude together: turn on the original version of Hey Jude and sing together now that the students have perfect lyrics.(enhance two intelligences: linguistic, music)

3) homework: turn in lyrics of an Enlgish song.
notice: bonus for the volunteer who will sing in front next class.
bobosbong
bobosbong
Flyer
Flyer

Back to top Go down

Final Exam: Video News from Park Bong kyung Empty Pot tot Beatles Performance

Post  Jung Yoojin Mon Jun 02 2008, 21:44

I was going to choose this lovely video^^ but I didn't haha (I feel hard to make some activities so I changed my mind finally~) ^^
First of all, I think giving some information about Beatles is good idea before listening. I darely think there might be some students who do not know Beatles, so this activity will be helpful for learners to get some general idea and peripherical ideas.
However , I think those questions are inappropriate which you are going to introduce in post-comprehesion activity such as "What's the toddler's nationality? What was he doing?, Who is the woman? Because if you are going to use in Korea, students probably know immediately when they see the video.(the child is easily known as Korean and even he speaks Korean) So, I think you would better use another questions. In addition, your post-listening for production is very creative and interesting. I think students will like it very much. Songs are crutial materials especially in learning English. We can make learners feel interested and be familiar with English. Then I have a question about post-listening activity. You mentioned you are going to do dictation with the song ,"Hey Jude ", I just wonder they are going to dictate altogether with tape recorder? or students working in pairs with their script of Hey Jude?
Jung Yoojin
Jung Yoojin
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

Final Exam: Video News from Park Bong kyung Empty Feedback

Post  Lee Pilsu Wed Jun 04 2008, 09:54

Hello, Bong-kyung. There are two points I like about your lesson plan. First of all, I think the comprehension questions are not too difficult for students to answer. In real classroom teaching, some students whoese level of English is low even don't understand the simple questions, so I think your questions are appropriate to those level of students. I also like your productive activity in which you give extra points to any students who volunteer to sing in front of students. It will make the class's atmostphere lively. That's also very important as well as learning the knowledge itself.
Lee Pilsu
Lee Pilsu
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

Final Exam: Video News from Park Bong kyung Empty Re: Final Exam: Video News from Park Bong kyung

Post  Hyo-Jin Kim Wed Jun 04 2008, 11:48

Hey~ Hi! Very Happy I saw this video a few weeks ago for fun. How adorable he is! I think I'll become a big fan of him. haha~^^ But I feel different about the same video after reading your plan to use it in class. No matter what, you've made a excellent choice because it is certain that all the students will love to watch this video.

You seem to have a point in your post-listening activity for comprehension check. Your students can not just learn the song but also think about additional things in English while going over what they've seen from the video. I guess it will work pretty well for both visual and audio learners. There are always many sorts of students with different tastes and different levels. It is never easy to come up with a proper plan which can deal with the problem. But I think you made it! Some students who prefer a visual class will enjoy solving the problems on the handout, and others who prefer a audio class will be happy to learn a pop song. To add more, it will be perfectly appropriate for intermediate students and beginners may have few troubles with a bit of your help.

I'd like to make a suggestion, however. As I know, there are limited activities in teaching a song and you decided to use an information-gap activity. Most times, students have a tendency to focus on filling out the blanks too much, which can lead them overlooking the overall atmosphere of the song or the verb forms/expressions you may want to teach them. So the students won't listen to it any longer when they think they've got all the answers. If you teach them key words in advance, they will be able to get it done fairly easily and stop listening to the song. Especially, even though you give each pair different sets of handout, it will be far easier to finish because the song is exactly the same. So, in my opinion, you should teach the key vocabularies and expressions later on and give them the same handout which students rather discuss than simply copy each other's.

Anyway, I like most parts of your plan, particularly letting them briefly summarize the song before the information-gap activity. It is no use making a summary after that since they can do it by reading the lyrics that they already have instead of listening. Nobody wants their listening class to turn into a reading class. And you've actually shown it in your plan. Great job! king
Hyo-Jin Kim
Hyo-Jin Kim
Flyer
Flyer

Back to top Go down

Final Exam: Video News from Park Bong kyung Empty Easy and Fun!

Post  Ryu Jeong A Wed Jun 04 2008, 19:08

As one of the teachers who teaches English in a CLT-based classroom, you have some insights to select and prepare for materials, and to develop every step I think. First of all, slecting this video was pretty reasonable choice in many ways. First of all, the content of it is familiar to Korean students because 'the singer' in the video was a little Korean boy, so it will make students feel excited. Plus, I think it a novel and great idea to teach students the original song. It means a lot. They can learn not only vocabularies or lyric lines from the song but also foreign culture. The last thing is... I don't get it clearly about the post listening activity. So, I need more information of why you chose that activity. In this sense, how about making the questions which will be used in the post-reading comprehension check more complicated and sophisticated than this. pig
Ryu Jeong A
Ryu Jeong A
Flyer
Flyer

Back to top Go down

Post  Ji-eun Wed Jun 04 2008, 20:25

Wow, you and I chose the same video news! I recognized right now so pushed the button to make comments immediately. ^^ How cute this boy is! Did you see a rough-cut version of this video? In that video clip, you can see him singing several Beatles' song over 2min. I think he is really cute and really amazing with this point that he remembered the English song very clearly! Anyway, we have some video clip, but we made totally different activity. So i just want to write down my opinion freely. ^^

I think the post-listening comprehension check part is going to work very effectivly!! These questions look so little bit simple, but as you know these are the coner points to check their comprehension. If they understand this video well, they might answer well and i think it is so easy and quick way to check their understanding of video news. And in my lesson plan, i didn't focus on the song itself, but your way to learn this song sounds so great! It is certain that they will show their interst to learn or sing this song together. Moreover through homework, they can have a time to write, too. This connection looks so good. ^-^ But i think if you put more active activity for this lesson, it will be better. These things look so monotonous, that's why i mention.

Anyway is this boy becoming a singer in the future? Suddenly i just wonder... haha, ^^
Ji-eun
Ji-eun
Flyer
Flyer

Back to top Go down

Final Exam: Video News from Park Bong kyung Empty What a cute little Beatles boy!

Post  Mi Jin Jeong Wed Jun 04 2008, 20:55

You chose the fun fun video with really lovely singing boy. I think you selected the good one for young learners because the news topic as well as the contents are interesting enough to attract students' attention. And it's not much difficult to understand, students can get the whole story easily.
What I like about your lesson plan is the post-listening productive activity. I think your activities about the song 'Hey Jude' will be very interesting parts to students. I really like that. ^^ It is going to make your class more actively and enjoyably.

And I'd like to say to show your students the pictures or short video clips of Beatles as one of the pre-listening acrtivities. It would be helpful to students unfamiliar with Beatles.
Mi Jin Jeong
Mi Jin Jeong
Flyer
Flyer

Back to top Go down

Post  bobosbong Wed Jun 04 2008, 21:08

Ryu Jeong A wrote:As one of the teachers who teaches English in a CLT-based classroom, you have some insights to select and prepare for materials, and to develop every step I think. First of all, slecting this video was pretty reasonable choice in many ways. First of all, the content of it is familiar to Korean students because 'the singer' in the video was a little Korean boy, so it will make students feel excited. Plus, I think it a novel and great idea to teach students the original song. It means a lot. They can learn not only vocabularies or lyric lines from the song but also foreign culture. The last thing is... I don't get it clearly about the post listening activity. So, I need more information of why you chose that activity. In this sense, how about making the questions which will be used in the post-reading comprehension check more complicated and sophisticated than this. pig

Is this piglet pig your symbol? kidding
bobosbong
bobosbong
Flyer
Flyer

Back to top Go down

Post  Han Kyoung Jae Thu Jun 05 2008, 11:55

Hi~ Bong kyung^^ You chose the cute boy's singing video. I have already watched the same video several times and I really enjoyed reading lesson plans with same video article but different methods. While reading various plans I thought many people think in a different way with the same topic so we need to share our thought with others and that will be helpful for our way of thinking as well as self-development in our daily lives. Anyway as I mentioned at other people's posts, your choice is good. Since it is not about serious problems which we should think over, so students can get interested easily and may be curious how the boy is good at singing pop songs.
I like your post-listening activities and proper comprehension check activity. But if I could give you some additional ideas, I think pre-listening activity is not enough to buildup their background knowledge. Of course your pre-listening activities are good, but I just suggest that teacher give them pair work or group work to share their ideas which they feel after they got some information from your hand-outs and to make a guess how the boy got interested in the Beatles songs. It's just my suggestion and I hope your class will be more active with opinions from others including me.
Han Kyoung Jae
Han Kyoung Jae
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

Post  bobosbong Thu Jun 05 2008, 12:38

Jung Yoojin wrote:I was going to choose this lovely video^^ but I didn't haha (I feel hard to make some activities so I changed my mind finally~) ^^
First of all, I think giving some information about Beatles is good idea before listening. I darely think there might be some students who do not know Beatles, so this activity will be helpful for learners to get some general idea and peripherical ideas.
However , I think those questions are inappropriate which you are going to introduce in post-comprehesion activity such as "What's the toddler's nationality? What was he doing?, Who is the woman? Because if you are going to use in Korea, students probably know immediately when they see the video.(the child is easily known as Korean and even he speaks Korean) So, I think you would better use another questions. In addition, your post-listening for production is very creative and interesting. I think students will like it very much. Songs are crutial materials especially in learning English. We can make learners feel interested and be familiar with English. Then I have a question about post-listening activity. You mentioned you are going to do dictation with the song ,"Hey Jude ", I just wonder they are going to dictate altogether with tape recorder? or students working in pairs with their script of Hey Jude?
--> I mean I would prepare two totally different handouts that have blanks in different parts of the lyrics so that two students can teach each other the correct answers; they can either read the lyrics line by line or show their own handout to their partner. It's a pair work using information gap activity.
bobosbong
bobosbong
Flyer
Flyer

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down