English Advance!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Twisty-turny story

Go down

Twisty-turny story Empty Twisty-turny story

Post  Kim Jin-Young Tue May 27 2008, 19:20

from..
Jang Deuk Ju, Park Bong-Kyung, Bae Hae-Sol, Kang Eun-mi, Ok-sun Jeong, Moon Nam-Suk.

Hi! It's the year 2015. I am a korean student and I have jsut graduated from high school. I really have to say that I feel very proud of and confident in my English proficiency. I am not a special student. I am average. But almost all "average" students in Korea these days like English and can use it well. That's because English education in Korean public schools is very different now compared to 10 years ago.

Learning English is part of Education, and we see the whole different education system compared to 10 years earlier. As the whole system has changed, teaching and learning English including other foreign language were changed automatically. "Do well." was not the issue students used to concern. "Don better than others" was the issue. Now, there is no adjective such as high-profile or top-notch to modify college or high school. When you graduated from high school, of course, you should meet certain standard you have to go college near your residence. It is mandate.

English education has become much easier than before. I took a look at my mother's old English textbooks, which was so difficult with many difficult words. Worst at all, the grammar was a headache. But now we don't even have an English textbook. Mostly, teachers prepare handouts and each student is equipped with a personal audio and video set and computer in the English lab. Class materials, therefore, are closely related to real life and don't require higher level of grammar or vocabulary. Teachers also give us something we can understand. I really like my English classes. I feel at home in English class.

However, we have so many homework to do. It's actually called "project". It's not like multiple choice questions or filling in the blanks. Group, or single person has to complete some projects, such as a presentation about my future dreamy house, and make one's own guide book in English. These projects may take long time, but after finishing those projects, I feel so proud of myself and can learn more English from them. And it's really fun!!

Not only teachers but also all students consider English not as one of subjects but as our second-tongue. After changing the evaluation system, we don't need to care for our scores. We just can have fun to talk in English. Learning English isn't stressful anymore. And teachers encourage us to enjoy learning English.

In English class, all we have to do is just to enjoy all things. We enjoy speaking, listening and writing stuffs. Native teacher helps us practise English, as well. Teachers organize the teaching materials that looks like funny games. There's no stereo-typed textbook. We have no burden about getting good scores, so we learn English by engaging in some activities.

Not only school, society and family members can speak English fairly well. Whole environment that they've surrounded by has been totally changed compared to the previous days. Even if language isn't everything, but people can get a better situation or chance with it in their whole life.
Kim Jin-Young
Kim Jin-Young
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down