English Advance!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Twisty-Turny Story

Go down

Twisty-Turny Story Empty Twisty-Turny Story

Post  Hyo-Jin Kim Wed May 28 2008, 11:01

WRITTEN BY

Han-Sol Bae, Eun-Mi Kang, Ok-Sun Jeong, Nam-Suk, Jin-Young Kim, Mi-Jin Jeong

EDITED BY

Hyo-Jin Kim

Hi! It's the year of 2015. I am a Korean student and I have just graduated from high school. I really have to say that I feel very proud of and confident in my English proficiency! I am not a special student. I'm average. But almost all "average" students in Korea these days like English and can use it very well. That's because English education in Korean public schools is very different now compared to 10 years ago...

Above all, in English class, everyone in class including students and teachers use only English. If somebody uses Korean, then the person has to get some penalty. Does it sound difficult? No. Since my kindergarten, I've used only English in class, so it's really familiar to me now. Because we use only English in class, we can automatically get simple ideas in English. It's really fun and effective! Also, because we have so many opportunities to use English, we can learn practical English.

Also, we don't have to memorize the impractical English words any more. 10 years ago, we had to memorize as many English words as possible. We didn't know how to use them in practical way even though we knew lots of English words. I cannot help saying those were dead words. But, these days, the words which I use are alive. I know how to use them to make a conversation. And I can try to think English way to say something in English.

Now, nobody has to feel embarrassed when he speaks English incorrectly. We don't get stressed out when we get poorer grades than we expected. We just have to pass some sorts of average level, so almost all students can do it. We all feel free to use English everyday and try to learn more expressions for survival in a real world. It's kind of fun!

All of their parents have been guaranteed English education by the Korean authority as well. Unlike their children, they could get few chances of English education which made English speaking environment more difficult. Thus, Korean government tries to make a systematic policy for these older people, and it works.

To compensate lack of Korean teachers' fluency, using medias such as video or internet-based materials in class is an effective way to enhance students' English fluency. I think that this beneficial way has been already used in reality. However, it should be educated to all English classes. It contributed to motivating students to learn English and especially authentic pronunciation.

For 10 years, English education in Korean public schools has been changed so much. Korean government has tried to train the public English teachers regularly and develop many education programs. The governers and officials give speech in Englsih sometimes on TV, and they seem to have no difficulty with understanding a conversation with officials from other English-spoken countries. That is, they provide the natural circumstances of English to us, school students.
Hyo-Jin Kim
Hyo-Jin Kim
Flyer
Flyer

Back to top Go down