English Advance!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Twisty- turny story...

3 posters

Go down

Twisty- turny story... Empty Twisty- turny story...

Post  Nam-suk Wed May 28 2008, 11:04

written by Ryu Jeong A, Jang Deuk Ju, Park Bong Kyung, Bae Hae sol, Kang Eun mi, Jeong Ok sun

Hi! It's the year 2015. I am a Korean student and I have just graduated from high school. I really have to say that I'm very proud of and confident in my English proficiency. I am not a special student. I'm average. But almost all "average" students in Korea these days like English and can use it well. That's because English education in Korean public schools is very different now compared to 10 years ago..

Students nowadays can speak and listen to English comparatively well. Actually, their pronunciation is getting better..

Atmosphere of society, job market and classroom do not push students too much in terms of learning language. The goal is not to reach to the excellent level but to the level "as much as you need". So students get less stressful that they used to.

We have three native English speakers at my school. This is the case at most public schools in Korea. They are very kind and help us a lot with our English. Whenever we have questions or doubts related to English, they're there where we can easily resort to. Sometimes students at my school use the e-mail as an access to the native speakers, especially during the vacation. Although I learn a lot from my Korean English teachers, natives help us in a situation where it connotes more than a linguistic problem; there's no better way to understand culturally bound context from native teachers.

In English textbooks, every unit has a song related to target expressions of the unit. Sometimes that can be a chant too. At first, students were so shy to sing a song, now. It's just natural thing. We can automatically memorize the target expressions by singing a song. And there's a singing contest every semester. It's really big and fun part in English class.

At our school, there is an English speech contest annually. This event is the most important and effective way to encourage students in learning English. If students get prizes among 1st, 2nd, and 3rd prizes, they can get a chance for student exchange program for one year. They can be supported by scholarship during the period. Sometimes. students look crazy about the contest..

Whenever I try to speak in English, my mom and dad are very proud of me..To make my parents feel happier, I continue to learn English. It can be a good cause or motivation for me..Once I get motivated, everything will be easier to do..
Nam-suk
Nam-suk
Flyer
Flyer

Back to top Go down

Twisty- turny story... Empty Re: Twisty- turny story...

Post  kim young-ah Thu May 29 2008, 13:30

"As much as you need" is just an answer, I think. In my case, i attended this graduate school because of my needs. At this moment, I need to speak English fluently. I want it earnestly.....I envy the people(students) in the future.^^
kim young-ah
kim young-ah
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

Post  Hyo-Jin Kim Sat May 31 2008, 04:08

Wow~ Each one of you came up with really good ideas! Very Happy
Especially, I think it will be great if students can learn the target language with no stress as mentioned at the beginning. Students in Korea get forced to study English too much in fact. Actually, some of them do not need to speak English at all as far as they live in Korea forever. Although knowing a few English expressions could be helpful in case of encountering a foreigner, native-like fluency or accuracy is not really necessary for them. All the students, nevertheless, are under the same amount of pressure to be good at English now. If it is possible to get rid of such a thing, it will definitely result in a big difference in students' attitude toward learning English.
Hyo-Jin Kim
Hyo-Jin Kim
Flyer
Flyer

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down