English Advance!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

OP9: agree with the motto.

3 posters

Go down

OP9: agree with the motto. Empty OP9: agree with the motto.

Post  Kanghoon Jang Wed May 28 2008, 20:58

A noted professor of English Education in Korea uses this motto in his email signatures: “Teachers open the door. Students enter by themselves.”
What do you think is meant by this? Do you agree or disagree with it? Use reasons and examples to support your opinion.

Many Teachers try to do their best in class when they teach their own subject to students. They make some methods to easily understand for students. However, usually, many students do not accept that and complain about teacher’s teaching styles in class even though they do not want to study at all by themselves.Therefore, I definitely support that motto based on my experiences in my middle/high school.

First of all, most of students need the dedicated teachers who can guide where students go when they start new lessons. Especially, in order to change English education system in Korea, secondary schools need those who lead students to learn English in pragmatic ways. If teachers are really trained and can conduct English in English in class, they would make students interested in English because teachers are the role model for students. Based on my experiences, for instance, I was not interested in English before I met the teachers who made me think why I have to learn English in cram school. He was completely perfect for English and he wanted me to speak English every day. It affected me to study English hard for improvement of speaking skills. Finally, my speaking skills have been improved by him and constant efforts.

Although students can meet dedicated teachers, on the other hand, if students do not have any willingness to learn, teachers would not help anything. Basically, most of teachers would like to teach their own subjects really hard in class. However, only a few students try to understand and respond to teacher’s lessons. Many dedicated teachers try to bring any methods which can help for understanding of what teachers say in class and jokes to refresh student’s memories. Plus, some of them sometimes hit and give students compliments for better future and making students interested in studying. Unfortunately, if students do not get any sense of teacher’s willingness, they cannot enter the door that teachers already opened for students.

In conclusion, I think that most of teachers are eager to bringing their students to go to the ways to come true student’s dreams. However, most of students do not want to enter the door that the teachers already opened. It is difficult to combine between opened door by teacher and entering the door for students. Despite the fact I mentioned before, students make efforts to achieve their goals and to enter the door more because most of teachers are always willing to make students want to enter the door.
Kanghoon Jang
Kanghoon Jang
Superstar!
Superstar!

Back to top Go down

OP9: agree with the motto. Empty Re: OP9: Teachers open the door students enter by themselves.

Post  Jongwoo Sun Jun 01 2008, 10:18

If we can motivate students in an easy fashion, we can easily become the best teachers in the world. But motivating them is not a easy one. What worries me now is the fact that many variables are hinding: keen competition in university entrance examination, the differences of family background and academical background. Above all, not all the teanagers have enough sensibility to choose what is painful for now but beneficial for their future. So, forcing them to enter may be needed in some cases.
Jongwoo
Jongwoo
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

OP9: agree with the motto. Empty Re: OP9: agree with the motto.

Post  Youn Sujin Mon Jun 09 2008, 18:41

I partly go along with your view. The ideal role of teachers' is motivating students; however, in reality, it's hard to let the students enter the door. If the teacher just let those who don't want to enter the door because of temporary pain, the students' conditions will probably get worse. Not to abandon all of them, teachers will sometimes need to push the students.
Youn Sujin
Youn Sujin
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

OP9: agree with the motto. Empty Re: OP9: agree with the motto.

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down