English Advance!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Collaborative Essay Writing 2

Go down

Collaborative Essay Writing 2 Empty Collaborative Essay Writing 2

Post  Jongwoo Wed May 28 2008, 23:43

Writers: Sujin, Hee-young, Namsook Jung, Seyoung Yoon, Jongwoo Lim

It's 2015. I am a Korean student who has just completed high school. One thing I am really happy about is my English proficiency! This is due, of course, to the wonderful English teachers and education system I have experienced. The three greatest things that have made me confident and good at English are classes taught in English, contents that are related to practical English skills, and extracurricular activities done in English.

First of all, classes taught in English are really helpful for my English proficiency. When I entered a middle school, I didn't have enough confidence at speaking English in spite of 4-year-long public English education. When I was an elementary school student, English classes were taught in Korean. Moreover, I didn't have enough chances to practice speaking English during the classes. On the contrary, since new English system started, an English classes have conducted in English. At the first time, English classes in English made me and my classmates confused, and I couldn't understand what the teacher said totally. However, as time goes by, repetition of listening to the teacher enabled me to understand more quickly and easily. Plus, it is possible and helpful for me to imitate the teacher's way of speaking English.

Secondly, practical English has been appealing to me. I found that I was more encouraged when I was involved in practicing useful expressions rather than studying written English and analyzing it. Moreover, English text was composed of dynamci activities along with covering four English skills. Especially, when I learned to keep a journal, it really helped me improve my writing skill. Now I am more and more confident with writing academic essays as well. Another thing I like about the English textbook is that they are filled with practical grammar knowledge and useful conversation accompanied by an audio CD.

In addition to practical English textbooks, extracurricular activities also contributed to the improvement of my English proficiency. In English classes, I learned what English is and how to use the language, and through various learning resources I could learn how it is used in reality. With all this knowledge, I participated in after-school extracurricular activities and had a chance to practice what I have learned with my friends under the guidance of native English speaking teachers. There were a variety of activities that I could choose from. Unlike the academic activities, we, students, took the lead. We discussed and organized a number of activities such as a trip to English village, a short drama, a pop song contest, and the like. The extracurricular program really expanded my English learning experience tremendously.

Certainly, I could have never achieved the current level of my English proficiency without the excellent public education system. Language classes conducted entirely in English was challenging but helped quickly get used to the foreign language. Moreover, interesting and highly informative learning materials including the English textbook turned my learning quite an attraction. The school also did not just taught me the knowledge, but provided me with various opportunities to make an actual use of the linguistic knowledge through exciting extracurricular activities. I have heard that English education in Korean public schools used to be criticized severly for being impractical and inefficient. But with drastic reformational efforts, it can no long be mocked at. Just as I have proved myself, I can proudly say that the Korean public education provides the most effective way of developing English abilities.
Jongwoo
Jongwoo
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down