English Advance!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

OP7] What to implement and achieve as English teacher

3 posters

Go down

OP7] What to implement and achieve as English teacher Empty OP7] What to implement and achieve as English teacher

Post  Jung namsook Thu May 29 2008, 07:55

OP7: Think about your own experiences as an English language learner. Based on this experience, what would you like to implement and achieve as a teacher of English in the Korean public school context?

Dating back to the days I was studying English, there’s still nothing much difference in the present English learning context. It might seemingly look changed, but the whole interest of English education still lies in urging as hard as more students to attain better academic performance as ever. Looking back to my old English class, I had luckily met some dedicated teachers, who would conduct exciting English class at the same time they made me learn English. On the other hand, some of them were the last adequate teachers, who were too hysterical and strict to educate students. Could I stand in the podium, I would like to lead English class fun in the beginning, let my students feel free to speak and more frequent exposure to natural English in the class.

The first thing I would apply to an English class is to continually remind my students that English class should be fun. My first English teacher said that language is a basic instrument of a wonderful communication. Besides he pointed out that it must be ongoing work that needs gradual and patient efforts on the way of the course. One distinctive trait in his English class was that it was so enjoyable and energetic when he was giving a lesson. He made a great effort to give an easy example and fun instruction in the face of a difficult grammar. At that time, I was so expecting his class every time. He really was the teacher setting a class atmosphere comfortable. To be a prospective English teacher, I would like to lead into an active English class based on student-centered. I wouldn’t compel English beginners to parrot grammatical and vocabulary work. Instead I wish I could be taking more time to let the class fun as well as prepare a variety of useful activities.

Following a fun English class, I shall endow one-minute talk time each five students per English lesson. Back to the second year of high school, my English teacher was apt to willingly adopt innovative methodology compared to the past teachers. She was aware of the importance of speaking ability and shared the class time for one-minute talk for each class. When she first implemented a short time speech, I considered that one-minute should be easy time. Unlike my expectation it was too long to speak entirely in English. As we were taking turns speaking in class, I could clearly see that my classmates and I were improving. Although investing just five minute for us, she has been motivating us to actively speak in public. It was in fact a big deal. Not until I entered into a high school life, did I have a chance to talk in front of the classmates. As a teacher, I would like to create more occasions to improve students’ practical English skill.

The last thing I would like to achieve is to convey real English. It is closely related to the teacher’s competence. The teachers who taught me for six years have got to come up with an idea that most of quality teachers were conducting a class with their highly confident English skills. They appeared to carefully plan English class, in accordance with their own instruction material and supplemental handout. On the other hand it was less competent and unskillful teachers that were more likely to suppress students with authority. My last English teacher at high school unluckily belongs to the latter. At that time I was afraid of the hot-tempered English teacher. Very often she would overwhelm the whole students, smacking a student who forgot to bring a dictionary. The class was completely quiet all the time otherwise students could be asking questions in class. I wouldn’t be too aggressive English teacher. I’d rather teach my students with strategic methods based on a better English skill. Also, I want to listen to their needs and be understanding.

Teaching must be one of the most important occupations that I’ve ever thought of. English teachers should be more talented than any other teachers. Teaching English is ongoing work to Korean English teachers. They will have to invest long time and make efforts to train themselves English ability for a lifetime. In addition to the skills, a positive personality would be drawing students’ interest and therefore students will enjoy learning a foreign language. In consequence, students could develop language ability with their self-motivation. English teachers might play a mother’s role in a sense that they teach how to speak and write. All in all, the fruit of English teaching would be a lot sweeter than teaching anything.

Last edited by Jung namsook on Fri Jun 06 2008, 21:32; edited 2 times in total
Jung namsook
Jung namsook
Superstar!
Superstar!

Back to top Go down

OP7] What to implement and achieve as English teacher Empty Re: OP7] What to implement and achieve as English teacher

Post  Sera Jung Thu May 29 2008, 14:38

What a great essay~ You suggested so concrete and effective teaching method for English comparing with your experiences at school. 'one minute speech' for 5 students per class is a great idea as it make students participate in class more actively. I totally agree with you that English learning should be fun and interesting ! Thanks for your great work.
Sera Jung
Sera Jung
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

OP7] What to implement and achieve as English teacher Empty Re:[OP7] What to implement and achieve as English teacher

Post  Jongwoo Sun Jun 01 2008, 10:03

Fun is the most important element which leads students to reach their goal without their painful effort.
If this essay can be an indicator, you will make a wonderful teacher. I also wish to be your student.
Jongwoo
Jongwoo
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

OP7] What to implement and achieve as English teacher Empty Re: OP7] What to implement and achieve as English teacher

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down