English Advance!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[OP9] Teachers open the door

Go down

[OP9] Teachers open the door Empty [OP9] Teachers open the door

Post  Younghee choi Sun Jun 01 2008, 20:54

[OP9] A noted professor of English Education in Korea uses this motto in his email signatures: “Teachers open the door. Students enter by themselves.”
What do you think is meant by this? Do you agree or disagree with it? Use reasons and examples to support your opinion.

I believe that the motto, “Teachers open the door. Students enter by themselves,” is similar to the quote, “Don’t give fish to your son. Instead, teach him how to fish.” I think that both the motto and the popular quote signify the importance of independent learning. According to the motto, a teacher plays a role of a facilitator and guide to help students learn by themselves. I agree with this concept for the following reasons.

First of all, language is not knowledge that we can obtain by taking an excellent lecture but something that we can get by continuous practice. It is students who really learn the language and need practice. Students can internalize the language by actually practicing the language on their own. In this regard, a teacher’s role as a facilitator is required to help students acquire the language.

Secondly, we live in the world where huge amount of information overwhelms us. In other words, we have many options to take which may either beneficial or harmful to us. In this complicated world, a teacher should play a role of signposts by which students can decide which way to take. It is students who really take the road and travel. With the teacher’s help, students can reduce the risk of trial and errors.

Thirdly, in a similar fashion, the role of a teacher as a facilitator can be observed in a Chinese proverb; Tell me, I’ll forget. Show me, I’ll remember. Involve me, I’ll understand. Students learn best when they are in the center of learning. This means that they are able to learn independently and thus a teacher should help them to stand alone.

In conclusion, the motto above implies that a teacher is a guide and students should learn autonomously. In particular, since language learning requires a lot of practice and there are many channels students can get the language learning, a teacher’s guide is extremely important for students to have an effective learning.
Younghee choi
Younghee choi
Superstar!
Superstar!

Back to top Go down