English Advance!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Journal 2

2 posters

Go down

Journal 2 Empty Journal 2

Post  Youn Sujin Mon Jun 02 2008, 17:27

All of you may have read the statement “Teachers open the door. Students enter by themselves.” here in the forum. However, there was an exceptional case that a teacher pushed students to enter the door, and it really worked. Today, I'd like to share my memory here with you, though I don't think it was a good experience.

It was 5 years ago when I met the extraordinary math teacher. At that time, I was terribly poor at mathematics, so I always managed to get a 60~70% correct answers in the exams. My trouble was that I hardly ever try to solve the problems. That's because I have never been good at figures. However, after I met the teacher, my math score soared. Finally, I got 100% correct in the final exam.

How could it be possible for me to have gotten that high score on the tests? It was her special effort to push students to enter the door, indeed. In fact, she was very strict on us. On every math classes, we had to solve one problem set each, and the students who couldn't solve the problem were punished. What is really amazing, was about the order, and format of solving the problems. Before the class starts, each problem sets, say 37 sets, should be written on the blackboards. Then the teacher comes in to the classroom, immediately pointing out every 37 students in arbitrary order. The first student should solve the first problem set, and second student second set, and so on. Since there are not that enough space for one problem set, all the students have to stand up with a weird posture. One another thing the students have to keep in mind is that their hands should keep moving as long as they're in front of the blackboard. This is because the teacher, who is glaring at all the students, points out to punish some of the students who looks hesitant, or diffident to solve the problems. In this way, the teacher trained her students to be able to deal with math problems. Because of her, some of the students, who gave up studying math, even started to memorize every step in solving problems, though they don't have any knowledge of basic concepts.

I'm sure many of you would think it ridiculous; however, her students' average score on the math test was always a lot higher than any other teachers' students. Also, I experienced that I could do well on the math exam, solve the problems, and enter the door. It really was effective.

However, there was a blind point. It was only effective when the teacher's with the students. My math score started to fall as soon as I met another teacher, who is rather relaxed, and not very harsh. With the new teacher, I didn't try to solve the problem, and study on my own. I didn't learn about doing something myself, but being forced to do. This can be a temporary solution, however, it's not a long-lasting one.

I don't want to blame the teacher; in some ways, she really helped me. What I'd like to do is to share my experience and think about students' role and teachers' role together. Plus, I attached a link, that will show you a picture about the experience that I mentioned above. Hope you enjoy the picture, and don't forget it was a funny, but sad memory for someone.

http://minihp.cyworld.com/pims/board/image/imgbrd_viewurl.asp?attach_nm=/u20601/2005/4/3/96/%B0%FA%BF%AC%BF%A9%B0%ED%BB%FD.jpg&image_url=382686919&tid=29404908
Youn Sujin
Youn Sujin
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

Journal 2 Empty Re: Journal 2

Post  Sera Jung Thu Jun 12 2008, 18:47

Wow~I have heard of that teacher from my friend who was same high school with you. How can 37 students solve the math problems at the same time on the board ! The picture is so impressive. Some might criticize her strict teaching method ,pointing out that it is the way to force students to study .However I think it is much better than just not caring and considering students who gave up studying. Sometimes, teacher need to guide students to enter the door not just opening the door.
Sera Jung
Sera Jung
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down