This week's video news #2... (discuss in class March 20)

Page 3 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

This week's video news #2... (discuss in class March 20) - Page 3 Empty Re: This week's video news #2... (discuss in class March 20)

Post  Park, Saang-yung on Sat Mar 29 2008, 21:39

Nam-suk wrote:It's such a tragedy that china has cracked down on Tibet and has abused human rights since 1951. I'm of the opinion that this tragedy is such an irony because China promised they'll keep the olympic charter, which extols "human dignity" when they won the olympic bid. Therefore, this "cultural genocide" which is called by Tibetan spiritual leader Dalai Lama is obviously against their pledge.
The More interesting thing is that the international tepid response about this. Most countries concern their relationships between China over human rights or dignity. It's not only for the tibetan, anybody can be in that situation. Especially, can Korea, which has similar issue with North Korea, raise some questions or ask some help to the international community later unless they do something with other countries like being anemic to this issue..

My prediction is that most countries like USA, Japan, and etc. will show their lukewarm responses about this since they did same thing to other countries in the past and still they don't have complete different opinions from China when it comes to taking other nations by force. Even though boycotting of a few countries like France might tarnish China's great world party in a way, eventually, China might be able to do anything like what they want without formidable challenges...

^^What a Goood scenery in ur picture^^ I Envy you Razz From Park, Saang
Park, Saang-yung
Park, Saang-yung
Mover
Mover

Posts : 28
Join date : 2008-03-14

Back to top Go down

This week's video news #2... (discuss in class March 20) - Page 3 Empty Antarctica glacier melting faster

Post  Kim Su-kyung on Sun Mar 30 2008, 21:28

Opinion - This kind of news is not anymore surprising thing to us, all of us already heard of it and know the seriousness of upcoming environmental disaster. So it is strange that we all know the threatening dangers around us, we do not have aggressive actions. I think that people usually show thier potential ability or power when they are faced with extreme situation. In that point, It seems that unusual change in the weather like global warming is a kind of warning , but we still do not feel the dangers seriously. So I think that we really have to realize the direct, specific and detail results of the melting glacier and give our all efforts to prevent from rapidly ongoing environmental pollution.

Prediction - In Antarctic, it's warming 5 times faster than the global average. If we do not aggressive acion, the region in Antarctica in near future will be submerged into the sea, and might have to transfer to safer spots. We will not assure that this kind of nature disaster is none of our business. As time goes by, thickness and size of the glacier all over the world becomes thinner and smaller, after all human beings can not live on this planet anymore.

Kim Su-kyung
Starter
Starter

Posts : 2
Join date : 2008-03-21

Back to top Go down

This week's video news #2... (discuss in class March 20) - Page 3 Empty Re: This week's video news #2... (discuss in class March 20)

Post  Lee yujin on Mon Mar 31 2008, 09:10

inmyheart479 wrote:I have chosen the third video clip titled " Champagne demands fizzing" just because nobody seems to take an interest in it, admitting that I am not a big fan of champagne though. Very Happy

No discussion of wine is complete without mention of France, the home of a variety of delicacies. Especially for the sparkling wine, champagne has become a household name in the world. As we all know, sparkling white or rose wines are made in many parts of the world but only producers in a designated region of eastern France have the right to call their product champagne.

I'm of the opinion that sales of champagne all around the world are fizzing. The existing vineyards have almost reached the limits of what they can produce without diluting the quality of the world's favourite celebratory drink. Faced with surging demand, the only thing that is certain is that more champagne vineyards are needed. A few years from now, the existing champagne vineyards will no longer be able to cope with the demand. According to the news, for the first time since the official boundaries were drawn in 1927, the land entitled to grow champagne grapes is to be significantly increased, by as much as 15 percent by 2015.

My prediction on this is that it is not just a matter of meeting insatiable demand for champagne by increasing the production. Protection of food names based on geographic criteria is a global phenomenon but champagne stands out among other products because of its international recognition and massive sales. The fact is the more that growing is extended to marginal areas, the more the quality and reputation of the whole champagne appellation is diminishing. The danger of a demand-led expansion of champagne- growing areas - even to land already mapped for champagne use - remains real. The big houses would always be able to maintain quality. But there might be a proliferation of cheaper blends, which could progressively undermine the reputation of the region. Moreover, extending the champagne vineyards could be wonderful for the area as a whole but very difficult to take for some villages and individuals if the new boundaries were drawn in such a way that their lands are narrowly excluded for no obvious reason. There will be jealousy and tension between villages, neighbours, within families. Some people are going to become very rich, that's clear, but there could also be a lot of problems which economic windfall bring to the area. That is a problem for the future. The villages included among the chosen will have every cause to celebrate while Others will see no reason to open the champagne.

Your writing skills and ability to use varous words to express your ideas are brilliant.
I also deeply agree with your opinion.
Lee yujin
Lee yujin
Wizard
Wizard

Posts : 61
Join date : 2008-03-13

Back to top Go down

This week's video news #2... (discuss in class March 20) - Page 3 Empty Re: This week's video news #2... (discuss in class March 20)

Post  Liz on Mon Mar 31 2008, 12:41

Bae Sung-han wrote:I'm of the opinion that melting glacier is one of the climate changing problems, which we must be concerned about nowadays. We have been facing the problems every year, particulary in summer and winter. Even though the sea level has risen up each year, we haven't yet noticed or, mayby we can say, ignored the coming disasters. Melting glacier is the result of what we have done to nature, so that we must know and take some actions to protect it.
I'm so worried about what will meet in every season because of the climate changes. In the late spring, we will have the heavy yellow dust all around the Korea and Japan, nobody can escape from the attack of nature, in spite of the fact that we have tried to prevent the deseted area in China and Mongol for ages. It is shameful that human beings are so stupid that we make our mistakes contuinally and repeatedly.
My prediction is that as long as we do not take the problem seriously, we will face the disater in a couple of years. I don't know what we are doomed, but we can save our lives at least if we do act somthing before we lose the chance done by us. After experiencing more damages than before, we will know that what we have done. But somehow, in the Europe and other countries in the world, the authorities began to realize that nature is sick and the problems around the world are getting out of control. I hope we will not be the generation of the destroyer. All wake up and take some actions right now!! Cool



Like you said, it's time for us to do something right now. Nature has been sending us SOS but we've been ignoring that. Although everyone says we've got to stop this and do something, this 'we' doesn't include 'myself'. Everyone on this earth had a part in destroying nature, so everyone of us start from something easy like 'earth hour event', which people switches lights and other unnecessary electrical devices off for one hour from 7:30pm to 8:30pm. A stitch in time saves nine. If we accumulate this small little effort, we can stop this!
Liz
Liz
Flyer
Flyer

Posts : 45
Join date : 2008-03-08

Back to top Go down

This week's video news #2... (discuss in class March 20) - Page 3 Empty Re: This week's video news #2... (discuss in class March 20)

Post  Jason Renshaw on Mon Mar 31 2008, 20:59

Mijin Son wrote:Opinion: I am of the opinion that Tibet should be liberated. The Chinese occupation of Tibet should be criticized by the world because it has been done by military force in violent ways. Every people have the right to control over its nation but Chinese has violated that. However, the world hasnít taken any action yet. When it comes to Iraqi war, the world tried to play a role and took some actions to find out mass destruction weapons- they were not actually found, though. I know many countries are studying the pleasure of Chinese but in my opinion we have to do something to protect human rights and weak minorities and to keep the world peace.

Prediction: I think Chinese will do anything to keep taking Tibet- even killing a lot of Tibetans. There are a lot of minorities in China. If China makes Tibet liberated, other peoples might protest and struggle to get independent. But I think that if the more people in the world recognize this situation due to the Olympics, the better solution we will be able to find out.

Hi Mijin and thanks for posting your opinion and prediction related to the Tibet Uprising article.

It was great to read your impressions. I found a couple of points in the opinion section a little confusing, though. What kind of comparison exactly are you making between China's invasion of Tibet and the invasion of Iraq? Also, what do you mean when you say "many countries are studying the pleasure of Chinese"? That sounds like countries are studying the Chinese language, or are learning how the Chinese have pleasure!

I think your prediction is very well considered and expressed. The point you make about China having various provinces that might be inclined to rebel is very true, and explains the rationale of their iron-like grip on Tibet.

Thanks so much for contributing, it was great to get your thoughts on this.

Take care,

~ Jason

_________________
Jason Renshaw
Kyungpook National University, Teachers' College, Department of English Education
Daegu City, Republic of Korea 702-701

Managing Director: www.onlinEnglish.Net
Author: http://www.boostskillsseries.com
Weblog: http://jasonrenshaw.typepad.com
Jason Renshaw
Jason Renshaw
Admin
Admin

Posts : 334
Join date : 2008-03-07
Age : 46

http://onlinEnglish.net

Back to top Go down

This week's video news #2... (discuss in class March 20) - Page 3 Empty Good point!

Post  Jason Renshaw on Mon Mar 31 2008, 21:01

Liz wrote:
Bae Sung-han wrote:I'm of the opinion that melting glacier is one of the climate changing problems, which we must be concerned about nowadays. We have been facing the problems every year, particulary in summer and winter. Even though the sea level has risen up each year, we haven't yet noticed or, mayby we can say, ignored the coming disasters. Melting glacier is the result of what we have done to nature, so that we must know and take some actions to protect it.
I'm so worried about what will meet in every season because of the climate changes. In the late spring, we will have the heavy yellow dust all around the Korea and Japan, nobody can escape from the attack of nature, in spite of the fact that we have tried to prevent the deseted area in China and Mongol for ages. It is shameful that human beings are so stupid that we make our mistakes contuinally and repeatedly.
My prediction is that as long as we do not take the problem seriously, we will face the disater in a couple of years. I don't know what we are doomed, but we can save our lives at least if we do act somthing before we lose the chance done by us. After experiencing more damages than before, we will know that what we have done. But somehow, in the Europe and other countries in the world, the authorities began to realize that nature is sick and the problems around the world are getting out of control. I hope we will not be the generation of the destroyer. All wake up and take some actions right now!! Cool



Like you said, it's time for us to do something right now. Nature has been sending us SOS but we've been ignoring that. Although everyone says we've got to stop this and do something, this 'we' doesn't include 'myself'. Everyone on this earth had a part in destroying nature, so everyone of us start from something easy like 'earth hour event', which people switches lights and other unnecessary electrical devices off for one hour from 7:30pm to 8:30pm. A stitch in time saves nine. If we accumulate this small little effort, we can stop this!

Hi Liz,

Wow - I think your points here are excellent. I like your realistic, practical approach in response to the issue, and I think Sung-han is lucky to get your attention and feedback.

Keep up the outstanding work. It's a pleasure having you in my class.

Take care,

~ Jason



***

_________________
Jason Renshaw
Kyungpook National University, Teachers' College, Department of English Education
Daegu City, Republic of Korea 702-701

Managing Director: www.onlinEnglish.Net
Author: http://www.boostskillsseries.com
Weblog: http://jasonrenshaw.typepad.com
Jason Renshaw
Jason Renshaw
Admin
Admin

Posts : 334
Join date : 2008-03-07
Age : 46

http://onlinEnglish.net

Back to top Go down

This week's video news #2... (discuss in class March 20) - Page 3 Empty Re: This week's video news #2... (discuss in class March 20)

Post  Jason Renshaw on Mon Mar 31 2008, 21:08

bakbann wrote:(Prediction)

First, my prediction is that as Antarctica glacier melts and the sea level goes up, most of the land which is under the sea level will have sunk under the water. This will drive thousands of people out of their place.

It is also likely that global warming will bring devastated destruction of ecosystem. Most of vegetation will be endangered with this climate change. The break of ecosystem will drive into starvation. This is because global warming ruins all the ecosystem on the farm. In other words, there will be no vegetable to eat. What about meat? Livestock will not have food to eat, so we will not be able to have meat either. In other words, we may not have enough food to eat.

Last but not least, global warming will threaten our health. This is largely because of heatwaves caused by climate change. Heatwave causes a cardiac disorders, high blood pressure, and respiratory diseases. This has even killed many people worldwide.


(Opinion)

Then what should we do to prepare for the global warming? I'm of the opinion that the first thing to do is to realize how dangerous a situation we are in right now and what should be done. For this, I think, we should focus on education. We can start from elementary school to college and help students understand the dangers and realize what can be done to save our earth. I also think that media campaigns on TV, newspaper, and internet should let people know about these problems and encourage them to take positive action. After education, it is up to the individual to act responsibly. People should consider environment first. The future is in our hands. Our every little effort can make a difference. So, why don't we start right now?

Hi Mi-hyun (thanks for attaching your signature to your profile so we can see your real name - and a nice elegant Korean name it is, too!)

You have made a very well thought-out and composed response for this topic. I can see a lot of careful effort has gone into it, making it clear and enjoyable to read. Thanks!

Yours is an interesting approach, as you begin by making detailed predictions and then base your opinion about future actions we ought to take based on those predictions. It's a refreshing approach, mind you!

Your predictions about the vegetation and livestock in relation to food availability are so true, and aspects that not all people think about, yet they could have a massive impact on our future lives.

I think you are right to focus on the issue of educating future generations about the issue, and I agree that this is essential. But is that enough and will we have time for those things to change the direction of the planet? Just how immediate do you think the danger is to us?

Thanks a lot for getting involved with the topic and this forum. It was a pleasure reading your thoughts.

Take care and see you in class,

~ Jason


***

_________________
Jason Renshaw
Kyungpook National University, Teachers' College, Department of English Education
Daegu City, Republic of Korea 702-701

Managing Director: www.onlinEnglish.Net
Author: http://www.boostskillsseries.com
Weblog: http://jasonrenshaw.typepad.com
Jason Renshaw
Jason Renshaw
Admin
Admin

Posts : 334
Join date : 2008-03-07
Age : 46

http://onlinEnglish.net

Back to top Go down

This week's video news #2... (discuss in class March 20) - Page 3 Empty More pics from the same place...

Post  Jason Renshaw on Mon Mar 31 2008, 21:43

Park, Saang-yung wrote:
Nam-suk wrote:It's such a tragedy that china has cracked down on Tibet ...

^^What a Goood scenery in ur picture^^ I Envy you Razz From Park, Saang

Hi Nam-suk and Saang-yung.

I like Nam-suk's picture as well, because it happens to be part of my favorite place in the world - and it is only about 2 hours drive from my home in Australia!

I've posted some even better pictures of the place here.

Thank you Nam-suk and Saang-yung for reminding me of my favorite place to be...

Take care,

~ Jason


***

_________________
Jason Renshaw
Kyungpook National University, Teachers' College, Department of English Education
Daegu City, Republic of Korea 702-701

Managing Director: www.onlinEnglish.Net
Author: http://www.boostskillsseries.com
Weblog: http://jasonrenshaw.typepad.com
Jason Renshaw
Jason Renshaw
Admin
Admin

Posts : 334
Join date : 2008-03-07
Age : 46

http://onlinEnglish.net

Back to top Go down

This week's video news #2... (discuss in class March 20) - Page 3 Empty Girl of nature!

Post  Jason Renshaw on Mon Mar 31 2008, 21:55

Kyeong-im wrote:Unfortunately, it's true that a lot of ice shelves have broken up into chunks in the ocean because of global warming. Over the decade, I have seen snow even in spring. (I had a picture the golden-bell trees were in full bloom when snowing. too strange!! confused ) Besides, the roar of thunder and lightning shook heaven and earth. People call these phenomena an unusual change in the weather. Global warming is one of them. As this news said, what happened if all ice melted over thousands of years? the world see level will raise and then... I don't want to imagine anymore and you maybe know the results.
Like air, people usually forget how our earth, nature, is precious. Without it, we can't live anymore. Now, it's time we have to do something. A small step can make big change. There're so manythings we can do ; instead of driving, walk when you go to somewhere near, open the windows when it's hot, don't use disposable things, don't throw trash away, and so on. bounce
Unusual changes in the weather including global warming are a kind of warning that those who live together on the earth should do something to save it. Nowadays, researchers find that non-human beings such as water, plants (I think even non-animated thigns) can feel and express their emotions like human. We are one. Everything concerns all of us. It's time to change our thought that people have a power to control the nature. To destroy nature is to destroy ourselves.
Finally, I heard that there are a lot of sources in the North Pole. Due to the huge ice shelves, people aren't able to explore possibilities to improvement. However, as we mentioned that lots of ice shelves are melting now, countries will compete with others for its sources. To prevent a struggle for power about it, it's necessary to make regulations among countries. It's the way we live together. Wink

Hi Kyeong-im,

You appear to have a strong sense of nature and the earth's pulse... There are some great thoughts and expressions in your response here, and it was lovely to read. I would have liked to see you group your current opinion and future predictions into clearer sections, but overall your thoughts are so pleasant and interesting to read that it doesn't detract too much from the general composition.

You raise a very good point about what may happen once enough ice has melted to reveal all the resources trapped under the polar ice caps. Perhaps this is the plan of some powerful people, who see global warming as a way to make even more money... However, they really ought to be asking themselves what the point is of making money from more resources if the planet has basically become a nightmare to live on, or even unihabitable. What are they going to do? Live on the moon or Mars and continue to mine the earth's resources from there?

Thanks so much for posting your thoughts in response to the issue.

See you in class,

~ Jason


***

_________________
Jason Renshaw
Kyungpook National University, Teachers' College, Department of English Education
Daegu City, Republic of Korea 702-701

Managing Director: www.onlinEnglish.Net
Author: http://www.boostskillsseries.com
Weblog: http://jasonrenshaw.typepad.com
Jason Renshaw
Jason Renshaw
Admin
Admin

Posts : 334
Join date : 2008-03-07
Age : 46

http://onlinEnglish.net

Back to top Go down

This week's video news #2... (discuss in class March 20) - Page 3 Empty So, what are your suggestions?

Post  Jason Renshaw on Mon Mar 31 2008, 21:58

Ji-eun wrote:I'm of the opinion that this situation is getting more serious. Obviously, it is because of envionmental pollution and we can't deny that people have lots of responsibilities about it. This kind of news is not unfamiliar with us, it means it is easy to contact some serious articles of envionmental pollution. Nevertheless, people tend not to consider it seriously. They think, of course, this situation is growing more and more intense, but the disaster never happen in our generation. Through this video, however, i could think that this is the time to move for our envionmen!

My prediction is that we will meet with a calamity if we pass over this situation. As this reporter mentioned, the speed of melting is getting faster. So it can be happen that all Antarctica glacier is melting at all and sea level is going up. Anyone can guess the next situation. What can we see next? I think all of people in the world have some responsibilities about this situation.

Hi Ji-eun,

Thanks for putting your thoughts into writing about this issue. The concerns you list echo (or have been echoed by) many of your classmates.

When you say that "people in the world have some responsibilities in this situation", can you suggest any particular actions you feel they ought to be taking?

Thanks for contributing,

~ Jason


***

_________________
Jason Renshaw
Kyungpook National University, Teachers' College, Department of English Education
Daegu City, Republic of Korea 702-701

Managing Director: www.onlinEnglish.Net
Author: http://www.boostskillsseries.com
Weblog: http://jasonrenshaw.typepad.com
Jason Renshaw
Jason Renshaw
Admin
Admin

Posts : 334
Join date : 2008-03-07
Age : 46

http://onlinEnglish.net

Back to top Go down

This week's video news #2... (discuss in class March 20) - Page 3 Empty Well said!

Post  Jason Renshaw on Mon Mar 31 2008, 22:02

Kim Eun-jung wrote:Opinion:

I'm of the opinion that it's a really serious environmental problem. Through a number of media reports, all of us already know that average temperature of the Earth is rising annually and the melting of glacier caused by global warming leads to rising of the sea level and the submersion of certain areas. Quite a few movies have warned us of environmental catastrophe. Especially the movie The day after tommorow dealt with the direct result of global warming. It's no longer a virtual reality. In fact, several islands including Maldives and Tuvalu are already submerging. I saw a short TV program dealing with the problem of Tuvalu, a group of islands located near New Zealand. The highest sea level of the islands is under 5m. They are submerging annually and before long will disappear completely. The residents are being threatened and desperate. Some of them emigrated to New Zealand, and others old and incompetent weren't accepted. We cannot assure this kind of disaster is none of our business. It warns us to take an action to stop global warming.

Prediction:

If the voluntary effort to save the Earth is not sufficient, strong legal controls will be needed. In some parts, we are already being legally controled. We pay for the grocery bags and take a day off of a car once in a week. Someday it may be that a bill will be approved to ban on the use of fossil fuel, the main cause of global warming. Then we should get the electricity by another way. Some environmentalists already use human-powered energy through collecting electricity from pedaling a specially designed bicycle. To use electronics, all of us may be forced to have that special bike at home and pedal it to gain the electricity generated by physical labor.

Hi Eun-jung,

I thought this was a very well-written response to the topic, with some interesting supporting facts for your opinion and some thoughtful suggestions to supplement your predictions. I particularly like your well-reasoned and practical ideas on ways we might start dealing with this issue. Perhaps you ought to be assigned to some special international committee to make these suggestions to the UN! I think you would do a really great job.

An excellent response - thanks so much for posting it!

Best wishes,

~ Jason


***

_________________
Jason Renshaw
Kyungpook National University, Teachers' College, Department of English Education
Daegu City, Republic of Korea 702-701

Managing Director: www.onlinEnglish.Net
Author: http://www.boostskillsseries.com
Weblog: http://jasonrenshaw.typepad.com
Jason Renshaw
Jason Renshaw
Admin
Admin

Posts : 334
Join date : 2008-03-07
Age : 46

http://onlinEnglish.net

Back to top Go down

This week's video news #2... (discuss in class March 20) - Page 3 Empty Re: This week's video news #2... (discuss in class March 20)

Post  bakbann on Tue Apr 01 2008, 07:16

Liz wrote: I'm of the opinion that Tibetans keep protesting peacefully to recover their autonomy. This is the perfect time for them to get attention from all over the world owing to 2008 Beijing Olympic Game. However, an Olympic boycotting is not a way to solve this problem because it's against the spirit of the Olympic.
Whatever the reason is, China's reaction to this problem should be criticized for using military force. China is such a hugh country and Tibet is just a small part of it. Comparing military forces between two parts, it's just like beating one's head against the wall. Therefore if it is asserted that cultural genocide is taking place in Tibet, there should be a through investigation upon it.
My prediction is that it's going to develope like a Tienanmen Square crackdown. As you see, no powerful country but France and Germany is announcing their opinion on this problem. Because China's power is getting stronger in the world, many powerful countries pretend not to know anything about it. Using this weak point, China's authority will block down all the mass media and rely on military power to achieve peace.


I totally agree with you that this is a great timing for Tibet to draw international attention since China is hosting an Olympic soon. However, I doubt whose attitude is really against the spirit of the Olympic. To get a right to hold Olympic games, Chinese government promised to improve human rights in China. Considering the vandalism and bloodshed in Tibet, however, its concern seems to be far from human rights. As you said, whatever the reason is, Chinese attitudes to Tibet should be criticized.
bakbann
bakbann
Wizard
Wizard

Posts : 59
Join date : 2008-03-13

Back to top Go down

This week's video news #2... (discuss in class March 20) - Page 3 Empty Re: This week's video news #2... (discuss in class March 20)

Post  bakbann on Tue Apr 01 2008, 07:39

Nam-suk wrote:It's such a tragedy that china has cracked down on Tibet and has abused human rights since 1951. I'm of the opinion that this tragedy is such an irony because China promised they'll keep the olympic charter, which extols "human dignity" when they won the olympic bid. Therefore, this "cultural genocide" which is called by Tibetan spiritual leader Dalai Lama is obviously against their pledge.
The More interesting thing is that the international tepid response about this. Most countries concern their relationships between China over human rights or dignity. It's not only for the tibetan, anybody can be in that situation. Especially, can Korea, which has similar issue with North Korea, raise some questions or ask some help to the international community later unless they do something with other countries like being anemic to this issue..

My prediction is that most countries like USA, Japan, and etc. will show their lukewarm responses about this since they did same thing to other countries in the past and still they don't have complete different opinions from China when it comes to taking other nations by force. Even though boycotting of a few countries like France might tarnish China's great world party in a way, eventually, China might be able to do anything like what they want without formidable challenges...

I am of the opinion that your prediction is highly plausible. USA has already removed China from its worst 10 human rights violators despite this brutal destruction in Tibet. Sadly, to China, protests against China and bad reputation about it worldwide seems like just minor snags on its way.
bakbann
bakbann
Wizard
Wizard

Posts : 59
Join date : 2008-03-13

Back to top Go down

This week's video news #2... (discuss in class March 20) - Page 3 Empty Re: This week's video news #2... (discuss in class March 20)

Post  Oksun on Tue Apr 01 2008, 08:04

Kim Eun-jung wrote:opinion:I'm of the opinion that it's a really serious environmental problem. Through a number of media reports, all of us already know that average temperature of the Earth is rising annually and the melting of glacier caused by global warming leads to rising of the sea level and the submersion of certain areas. Quite a few movies have warned us of environmental catastrophe. Especially the movie The day after tommorow dealt with the direct result of global warming. It's no longer a virtual reality. In fact, several islands including Maldives and Tuvalu are already submerging. I saw a short TV program dealing with the problem of Tuvalu, a group of islands located near New Zealand. The highest sea level of the islands is under 5m. They are submerging annually and before long will disappear completely. The residents are being threatened and desperate. Some of them emigrated to New Zealand, and others old and incompetent weren't accepted. We cannot assure this kind of disaster is none of our business. It warns us to take an action to stop global warming.




Prediction:

If the voluntary effort to save the Earth is not sufficient, strong legal controls will be needed. In some parts, we are already being legally controled. We pay for the grocery bags and take a day off of a car once in a week. Someday it may be that a bill will be approved to ban on the use of fossil fuel, the main cause of global warming. Then we should get the electricity by another way. Some environmentalists already use human-powered energy through collecting electricity from pedaling a specially designed bicycle. To use electronics, all of us may be forced to have that special bike at home and pedal it to gain the electricity generated by physical labor.



I totally agree on your idea that this is a tough problem we should solve right away.
You gave lots of examples for us to figure out how serious this environment problem is. I nodded my agreement as I read your prediction. Some time soon, we are forced to take legal action, for sure.


Last edited by Oksun on Tue Apr 01 2008, 11:58; edited 1 time in total
Oksun
Oksun
Wizard
Wizard

Posts : 58
Join date : 2008-03-13

Back to top Go down

This week's video news #2... (discuss in class March 20) - Page 3 Empty Re: This week's video news #2... (discuss in class March 20)

Post  bakbann on Tue Apr 01 2008, 08:09

billy wrote:Opinion: I feel really sad and pitiful about what is going on in Lhasa, the capital of former Tibet. I'm also of the opinion that the Chinese government has been doing something that should be criticized worldwide. The store owner in the video clip said she was not worried because the Chinese Liberation Army would crack down on the riots and give her peace back sooner or later. At first, I was wondering how she could say that even when her brethren was being killed in the military campaign. But, after a while I came to know she was not Tibetan, but Chinese who moved to Lhasa to make money. Just like what Japanese militarists did to our country, the Chinese government tried to move their Han(Chinese) race to the Tibetan territory trying to trample the thousand-old spiritual country and obliterate their cultures and traditions. I was really furious and enraged about the Chinese mean demeanor and felt a strong sympathy to the Tibetan women having no other option to look at their husbands and sons being chased and beaten to bleeding by the Chinese soldiers.

Prediction: My prediction is that the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games will be crucially defamed by the Chinese government's inhumane treatment of Tibetan people. Some celebrities have already voiced their concerns and put their words into action. For example, Steven Spielberg, a world-famous American movie director, is said to refuse to take the role of artistic advisor for the 2008 Beijing Olympics. Plus, the China's foreign relations with other European countries may be dampened. However, considering the merciless Chinese suppression and secretive military campaign, I don't think the Chinese government will give in to the Tibetans' demand for their independence.

I was also wondering about the woman's remark. Now I can clearly understand the reason. Thank you. Smile
However, it infuriates me that there has been an ethnocide and it is still taking place in Tibet.
bakbann
bakbann
Wizard
Wizard

Posts : 59
Join date : 2008-03-13

Back to top Go down

This week's video news #2... (discuss in class March 20) - Page 3 Empty wow!! I hate Chinese! :(

Post  sunnypine on Tue Apr 01 2008, 11:55

it was good writing Very Happy I agree with your opinion. I'm so worried about 2008 Beijing Olympics HAHA Shocked
sunnypine
sunnypine
Wizard
Wizard

Posts : 52
Join date : 2008-03-13

Back to top Go down

This week's video news #2... (discuss in class March 20) - Page 3 Empty Let's save Earth together!

Post  sunnypine on Tue Apr 01 2008, 12:00

kim young-ah wrote:This video news reminded me of some stories that I heard in my middle school days. The stories were that our planet earth would be exterminated by Fire and Water(Flood). I think Fire means global warming, greenhouse effect by carbon dioxide, the destruction of the Ozone layer and so on. And Water means, I guess, flood, that is, glacier's melting.
I'm of the opinion that, in the end, the Fire and Water are dependent upon our behavior, i.e. to keep our environment safe and clean or not.
The environmental pollution (including air, water and soil pollution and all kinds of wastes) causes the earth to get disease and the earth has got the fever like that we have fever when we get disease. Here, the fever means global warming.
Due to global warming, the glacier is melted away. The melted water from the glacier is flown into the ocean. And the sea level is raised, finally flood!!!
So, all over the world is trying to save the earth, except USA and China. Sometimes I think if USA and China control their wastes and pollution, our earth will be O.K. soon.
But, without keeping the earth safe and clean, global warming would be accelerated and flood is coming much sooner than several thousand years.
I'm not sure the future is safe and hopeful in terms of this point. If the glacier is melted away, the sea proportion of the earth will be wider than now, and then we cannot have any land as much as now.
Or like the movie, "Tomorrow", all over the world will be covered with snow and ice. And only cold will remain. How miserable the world will be! What will our descendents become of?
For our earth and our descendents, we should do something.
The answer depends on us. Let's save the earth. cheers

Thank you. Take care, sunny

young

I've watched the movie "Tomorrow" too!! I'm worried about our planet. So I decided not to buy a car for me. What a Face
sunnypine
sunnypine
Wizard
Wizard

Posts : 52
Join date : 2008-03-13

Back to top Go down

This week's video news #2... (discuss in class March 20) - Page 3 Empty I agree with you too :)

Post  sunnypine on Tue Apr 01 2008, 12:05

Liz wrote: I'm of the opinion that Tibetans keep protesting peacefully to recover their autonomy. This is the perfect time for them to get attention from all over the world owing to 2008 Beijing Olympic Game. However, an Olympic boycotting is not a way to solve this problem because it's against the spirit of the Olympic.
Whatever the reason is, China's reaction to this problem should be criticized for using military force. China is such a hugh country and Tibet is just a small part of it. Comparing military forces between two parts, it's just like beating one's head against the wall. Therefore if it is asserted that cultural genocide is taking place in Tibet, there should be a through investigation upon it.
My prediction is that it's going to develope like a Tienanmen Square crackdown. As you see, no powerful country but France and Germany is announcing their opinion on this problem. Because China's power is getting stronger in the world, many powerful countries pretend not to know anything about it. Using this weak point, China's authority will block down all the mass media and rely on military power to achieve peace.

I think whatever uses power of military is not good. So China's reactiong to this problem should be criticized for using military force. but still i don't want to ruin the Olympic either. So I hope this problem would be solved well and soon. alien
sunnypine
sunnypine
Wizard
Wizard

Posts : 52
Join date : 2008-03-13

Back to top Go down

This week's video news #2... (discuss in class March 20) - Page 3 Empty Re: This week's video news #2... (discuss in class March 20)

Post  Lee Hye Jin on Tue Apr 01 2008, 12:08

kim young-ah wrote:This video news reminded me of some stories that I heard in my middle school days. The stories were that our planet earth would be exterminated by Fire and Water(Flood). I think Fire means global warming, greenhouse effect by carbon dioxide, the destruction of the Ozone layer and so on. And Water means, I guess, flood, that is, glacier's melting.
I'm of the opinion that, in the end, the Fire and Water are dependent upon our behavior, i.e. to keep our environment safe and clean or not.
The environmental pollution (including air, water and soil pollution and all kinds of wastes) causes the earth to get disease and the earth has got the fever like that we have fever when we get disease. Here, the fever means global warming.
Due to global warming, the glacier is melted away. The melted water from the glacier is flown into the ocean. And the sea level is raised, finally flood!!!
So, all over the world is trying to save the earth, except USA and China. Sometimes I think if USA and China control their wastes and pollution, our earth will be O.K. soon.
But, without keeping the earth safe and clean, global warming would be accelerated and flood is coming much sooner than several thousand years.
I'm not sure the future is safe and hopeful in terms of this point. If the glacier is melted away, the sea proportion of the earth will be wider than now, and then we cannot have any land as much as now.
Or like the movie, "Tomorrow", all over the world will be covered with snow and ice. And only cold will remain. How miserable the world will be! What will our descendents become of?
For our earth and our descendents, we should do something.
The answer depends on us. Let's save the earth. cheers

Thank you. Take care, sunny

young

Hi~
It's very supporting that you mentioned the movie "Tomorrow". We can easily imagine what will happen if the the trend continues through the movie.

Yes, like you said, we've already known and expected the mysery of global warming through a lot of media and books. We should have done something befrore this disaster starts. This is only the small beginning! Like you said we all know the answer to this problem. We should act right now. No more hesitation is accepted for our earth and the next generation! Now! Just do it!!

Have a good day~!
Lee Hye Jin
Lee Hye Jin
Wizard
Wizard

Posts : 64
Join date : 2008-03-13

Back to top Go down

This week's video news #2... (discuss in class March 20) - Page 3 Empty Re: This week's video news #2... (discuss in class March 20)

Post  Lee Hye Jin on Tue Apr 01 2008, 12:17

Boyun Park wrote: Smile Opinion : I'm of the opinion that this kind of climate change phenomenon won't slow down unless people really start to acknowledge the reality of nature problem. I'm ashamed to admit that even myself don't really care much about saving the earth except when I hear or read an article something like this. It's true that an individual cannot really feel the small changes in nature. However, if we think about Korea's different four beautiful seasons in the past, spring and autumn seem to have shorten much thesedays. People cannot avoid destroying and using up the nature as we live on, but we can at least try to slow the speed down and think of other ways to save the given nature. If we don't actively try to save the nature from now on, our future generations will have to live in worries everyday.



Smile Prediction : My prediction is that this region in Antarctica will especially warm up fater than other places in near future which will lead to a big nature disaster. Countries that are closed to this region might have to transfer their people to safer spots when the sea level rises. It's also likely that if the glacier keeps melting fast, there soon might be only broken-up chunks of ice floating on the water.



Hi Boyun~

I really agree that I myself haven't been care about the earth. How honest you are! We all know that we should do something to save our earth. You and I all know we have to stop doing things which could harm our nature. Knowing is one thing and doing is the other thing, right? Let's try to do something small and trivial for our bright future.

Like you said, korea is very famous for its 4 distinctive seasons. However, it's not any more. It's already April we can't feel the spirit of the warm and soft breeze yet.
It's all because of us! We are treated as what we have done.

Have a nice day!!
Lee Hye Jin
Lee Hye Jin
Wizard
Wizard

Posts : 64
Join date : 2008-03-13

Back to top Go down

This week's video news #2... (discuss in class March 20) - Page 3 Empty Re: This week's video news #2... (discuss in class March 20)

Post  Lee Hye Jin on Tue Apr 01 2008, 12:28

Lee yujin wrote:opinion
I'm of the opinion that...
China has been perparing to hold the biggest sport game so called "Olympic" which was actually originated for acheiving reconciliation between conflicting countries.
However, they did something opposite to this Olympic spirit. I understand the relation between china and Tibet is so complicated that we can't judge this situation just in term of the morality but China should have found better and wiser way to solve the problem except violence. Human right should be respected even in case of enemy.

Prediction
Unfortunately, I don't think that Tibet could get independence or the plan of Beijing Olympic would be canceled through this riots. International society will just hold breathing beacuse of china's great power in diplomacy and international trade.
However, it will bring a lot of change in Chinese society through Tbetians' sacrificing.
There must a lot of Chinese who realize the fault and try to fix the problem.
Although we don't know how long will it take Tibetians brave will bear fruit.

I like your expression that China did something opposing to the Olympic spirit. Right, I also think they should think their position as the host of the great Olympic.
They have to solve all the problems through the peaceful ways!
Lee Hye Jin
Lee Hye Jin
Wizard
Wizard

Posts : 64
Join date : 2008-03-13

Back to top Go down

This week's video news #2... (discuss in class March 20) - Page 3 Empty Re: This week's video news #2... (discuss in class March 20)

Post  Lee Hye Jin on Tue Apr 01 2008, 12:35

jihyun wrote:drunken What do you think champagne is? At first, I thought champagne is totally different with wine and is used only as a celebratory drink. But getting more information from the news and internet, I now know that champagne is another special kind of wine and lots of people drink it as a everyday drink. Its precise name is sparkling wine because it has fizzy in there. I don't think you know we can call Champagne only from champagne in France. They say this is restricted by law. Unfortunately many conutries, especially Korea, apply that name to any champange.

According to news reports, the sale of champagne is growing rapidly all aroud the world. I'm of the opinion that korean think champagne represents their high status. As you see, in korea, not phisical laborers drink champagne often. Only one who has leeway to purchase and enjoy it does. Since the consumption of champagne is growing fast, goverment of France thinks they need to expand the production of champagne. So the goverment persuades independant producers to expand their area of the chamapagne grape crops. But producers are reluctant to do it because they think rarity value is important in champagne industry.

I'm agree with thier idea that every area should preserve their special rarity value, not expanding the producing area. The history and grapes type of champagne are important elements in deciding the value of fizz. So we should try to keep the rarity of fizz. It seems likely that more and more people enjoy champagne as everyday drink to show their leeway. queen king I'm of the opinion that as time goes by, people want to have more special and rare kind of fizz to show their wealth and leeway. Result of this, my prediction is that the producers of champagne will try to preserve their reputation, quality and rarity more and more than before.

GREAT~DAY~FOREVER!!!

I agree that the history and types of grapes are very important element in diciding the value of fizz. So they should try to keep the rarity of fizz.
Like you said people would like to show their wealth through buying luxurious product.

So I also think that it's better not to expand the regrion for grapes for them.
Lee Hye Jin
Lee Hye Jin
Wizard
Wizard

Posts : 64
Join date : 2008-03-13

Back to top Go down

This week's video news #2... (discuss in class March 20) - Page 3 Empty Food problems...

Post  Jason Renshaw on Tue Apr 01 2008, 19:52

Jason Renshaw wrote:
bakbann wrote:(Prediction)

First, my prediction is that as Antarctica glacier melts and the sea level goes up, most of the land which is under the sea level will have sunk under the water. This will drive thousands of people out of their place.

It is also likely that global warming will bring devastated destruction of ecosystem. Most of vegetation will be endangered with this climate change. The break of ecosystem will drive into starvation. This is because global warming ruins all the ecosystem on the farm. In other words, there will be no vegetable to eat. What about meat? Livestock will not have food to eat, so we will not be able to have meat either. In other words, we may not have enough food to eat.

Last but not least, global warming will threaten our health. This is largely because of heatwaves caused by climate change. Heatwave causes a cardiac disorders, high blood pressure, and respiratory diseases. This has even killed many people worldwide.


(Opinion)

Then what should we do to prepare for the global warming? I'm of the opinion that the first thing to do is to realize how dangerous a situation we are in right now and what should be done. For this, I think, we should focus on education. We can start from elementary school to college and help students understand the dangers and realize what can be done to save our earth. I also think that media campaigns on TV, newspaper, and internet should let people know about these problems and encourage them to take positive action. After education, it is up to the individual to act responsibly. People should consider environment first. The future is in our hands. Our every little effort can make a difference. So, why don't we start right now?

...Your predictions about the vegetation and livestock in relation to food availability are so true, and aspects that not all people think about, yet they could have a massive impact on our future lives....


Your prediction about food may already be happening... I remember recently that certain basic kinds of food in Korea just became much more expensive, and then I saw an article from the newspaper in my home country that shows this is very much a global problem now:

http://www.theage.com.au/news/environment/scarce-food-costs-the-earth/2008/04/01/1206850909562.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1

Very interesting!

~ Jason


***

_________________
Jason Renshaw
Kyungpook National University, Teachers' College, Department of English Education
Daegu City, Republic of Korea 702-701

Managing Director: www.onlinEnglish.Net
Author: http://www.boostskillsseries.com
Weblog: http://jasonrenshaw.typepad.com
Jason Renshaw
Jason Renshaw
Admin
Admin

Posts : 334
Join date : 2008-03-07
Age : 46

http://onlinEnglish.net

Back to top Go down

This week's video news #2... (discuss in class March 20) - Page 3 Empty Solving the global warming problem - Al Gore's Green Army...

Post  Jason Renshaw on Tue Apr 01 2008, 19:55

This for all the students here who chose to write about the global warming issue from this week's news articles...

http://www.theage.com.au/news/environment/gore-to-muster-green-army/2008/04/01/1206850909565.html

What do you think? Can Al Gore do it? Will his "green army" have an effect?

~ Jason


***

_________________
Jason Renshaw
Kyungpook National University, Teachers' College, Department of English Education
Daegu City, Republic of Korea 702-701

Managing Director: www.onlinEnglish.Net
Author: http://www.boostskillsseries.com
Weblog: http://jasonrenshaw.typepad.com
Jason Renshaw
Jason Renshaw
Admin
Admin

Posts : 334
Join date : 2008-03-07
Age : 46

http://onlinEnglish.net

Back to top Go down

This week's video news #2... (discuss in class March 20) - Page 3 Empty I entirely agree with you^^

Post  Han Kyoung Jae on Wed Apr 02 2008, 10:02

kim young-ah wrote:This video news reminded me of some stories that I heard in my middle school days. The stories were that our planet earth would be exterminated by Fire and Water(Flood). I think Fire means global warming, greenhouse effect by carbon dioxide, the destruction of the Ozone layer and so on. And Water means, I guess, flood, that is, glacier's melting.
I'm of the opinion that, in the end, the Fire and Water are dependent upon our behavior, i.e. to keep our environment safe and clean or not.
The environmental pollution (including air, water and soil pollution and all kinds of wastes) causes the earth to get disease and the earth has got the fever like that we have fever when we get disease. Here, the fever means global warming.
Due to global warming, the glacier is melted away. The melted water from the glacier is flown into the ocean. And the sea level is raised, finally flood!!!
So, all over the world is trying to save the earth, except USA and China. Sometimes I think if USA and China control their wastes and pollution, our earth will be O.K. soon.
But, without keeping the earth safe and clean, global warming would be accelerated and flood is coming much sooner than several thousand years.
I'm not sure the future is safe and hopeful in terms of this point. If the glacier is melted away, the sea proportion of the earth will be wider than now, and then we cannot have any land as much as now.
Or like the movie, "Tomorrow", all over the world will be covered with snow and ice. And only cold will remain. How miserable the world will be! What will our descendents become of?
For our earth and our descendents, we should do something.
The answer depends on us. Let's save the earth. cheers

Thank you. Take care, sunny

young


Above all, I entirely agree with you, and your metaphorical expression was really good. I also think that the earth is same with our body. We all take really good care of ourselves but don't take care of the environment. So the pollution of the earth is getting more serious. Yes, the earth is sick now. We need to love and preserve our earth all together. Let's save our mother earth.^^
Han Kyoung Jae
Han Kyoung Jae
Wizard
Wizard

Posts : 66
Join date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

This week's video news #2... (discuss in class March 20) - Page 3 Empty Re: This week's video news #2... (discuss in class March 20)

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum