This week's video news #2... (discuss in class March 20)

Page 4 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

This week's video news #2... (discuss in class March 20) - Page 4 Empty Re: This week's video news #2... (discuss in class March 20)

Post  bakbann on Wed Apr 02 2008, 10:36

Jason Renshaw wrote:This for all the students here who chose to write about the global warming issue from this week's news articles...

http://www.theage.com.au/news/environment/gore-to-muster-green-army/2008/04/01/1206850909565.html

What do you think? Can Al Gore do it? Will his "green army" have an effect?

~ Jason


***


First, I am of the opinion that we should think highly of Al Gore's attempt to solve global warming problem. Although his action cannot reverse global warming, I think it can contribute to attracting people's attention and pressuring politicians.

However, this seems a huge project which requires various kinds of expertise and highly detailed plans. I am not sure whether he is well prepared and he can do it.

Lastly, my prediction is that this may be an one-off event, or at least, it will end up petering out. Neutral
bakbann
bakbann
Wizard
Wizard

Posts : 59
Join date : 2008-03-13

Back to top Go down

This week's video news #2... (discuss in class March 20) - Page 4 Empty Re: This week's video news #2... (discuss in class March 20)

Post  Lee Hye Jin on Wed Apr 02 2008, 12:23

Lee Pilsu wrote:Opinion: I'm of the opinion that what's happened and is still happening in Lhasa, Tibet should be investigated thoroughly and reported more objectively by the journalists from around the world. All I can see from the video clips regarding the violence in Lhasa is about Tibetians using violence, damaging Chinese people's property, getting arrested by the Chinese soldiers. But the news doesn't show much of the violence made by the Chinese army, which many think is editted by the Chinese government before the news is released to the world. The international communities, however, suppose that a serious case of human rights' violence is being committed in Lhasa. While the Chinese government claims that only about 10 Tibetians were killed, the Tibet's government-in-exile argues that the number reaches up to as many as 80 or 100.
Watching Tibetians being chasing after by the Chinese soldiers with a club in hand, and Tibetians women crying uncontrollably at the sence of their men being beaten and arrested by the brutal soldiers, I felt a strong sympathy towards Tibetians, who lost their sovereignty in 1950 when the Chinese Liberation Army conquered the country by powerful military forces. If you watch the movie, "Seven Years in Tibet," you can see how Chinese military destroyed the peaceful life of Tibetians, burning up the village and killing people. Similarly, Korea also experienced brutal colonial rule by Japan for 35 years in the first half of 20th century. In 1910, March 1st, Koreans across the nation stood up against Japan calling for our independence. So how can we who had gone through similar experience in the past not help but feel sympathy towards Tibetians?

Prediction: My predition is that many people around the world will boycott the China's 2008 Summer Olympics. Some countries are expressing their negative views on the recent violent, heavy-handed crack down on Tibetians by the Chinese government and considering shunning the opening ceremony of the sports event. In addition, China's diplomatic relations with other advanced nations will get worse as more political leaders are to meet up with Dalai Lama. China has already shown its utter unpleasantness when German Chancellor, Angela Merkel, invited Dalai Lama, in Germany and when Dalai Lama gave a speech at the congress of United States.

Even though I have not been so interested in politics, I could easily understand what is going on in Tibet after reading what you wrote above. Because you described the scene very detaily and compared the situation to the past history of Korean and a movie.
And I also moved by your sympathy for them. I think you are so considerate and thgouthful.
Have a nice day~
Lee Hye Jin
Lee Hye Jin
Wizard
Wizard

Posts : 64
Join date : 2008-03-13

Back to top Go down

This week's video news #2... (discuss in class March 20) - Page 4 Empty I agree..

Post  Kim Jin-Young on Wed Apr 02 2008, 12:43

Bae Sung-han wrote:I'm of the opinion that melting glacier is one of the climate changing problems, which we must be concerned about nowadays. We have been facing the problems every year, particulary in summer and winter. Even though the sea level has risen up each year, we haven't yet noticed or, mayby we can say, ignored the coming disasters. Melting glacier is the result of what we have done to nature, so that we must know and take some actions to protect it.
I'm so worried about what will meet in every season because of the climate changes. In the late spring, we will have the heavy yellow dust all around the Korea and Japan, nobody can escape from the attack of nature, in spite of the fact that we have tried to prevent the deseted area in China and Mongol for ages. It is shameful that human beings are so stupid that we make our mistakes contuinally and repeatedly.
My prediction is that as long as we do not take the problem seriously, we will face the disater in a couple of years. I don't know what we are doomed, but we can save our lives at least if we do act somthing before we lose the chance done by us. After experiencing more damages than before, we will know that what we have done. But somehow, in the Europe and other countries in the world, the authorities began to realize that nature is sick and the problems around the world are getting out of control. I hope we will not be the generation of the destroyer. All wake up and take some actions right now!! Cool



I agree with your opinion in the writing above. Many influential national organizations made anouncements as for upcoming disater in the Earth, though.

I think that we alreadly adapted to those warnings and it is likely that we don't feel any necessity to take an action or just pass on the responsiblilty to others. People in the world actually live in competitive society, not knowing how much rapidly climate destructions proceed. If we are not alarm to many nature warnings, disater will come true. What a Face
Kim Jin-Young
Kim Jin-Young
Wizard
Wizard

Posts : 60
Join date : 2008-03-08

Back to top Go down

This week's video news #2... (discuss in class March 20) - Page 4 Empty Re: This week's video news #2... (discuss in class March 20)

Post  Bae Sung-han on Wed Apr 02 2008, 12:44

kim young-ah wrote:This video news reminded me of some stories that I heard in my middle school days. The stories were that our planet earth would be exterminated by Fire and Water(Flood). I think Fire means global warming, greenhouse effect by carbon dioxide, the destruction of the Ozone layer and so on. And Water means, I guess, flood, that is, glacier's melting.
I'm of the opinion that, in the end, the Fire and Water are dependent upon our behavior, i.e. to keep our environment safe and clean or not.
The environmental pollution (including air, water and soil pollution and all kinds of wastes) causes the earth to get disease and the earth has got the fever like that we have fever when we get disease. Here, the fever means global warming.
Due to global warming, the glacier is melted away. The melted water from the glacier is flown into the ocean. And the sea level is raised, finally flood!!!
So, all over the world is trying to save the earth, except USA and China. Sometimes I think if USA and China control their wastes and pollution, our earth will be O.K. soon.
But, without keeping the earth safe and clean, global warming would be accelerated and flood is coming much sooner than several thousand years.
I'm not sure the future is safe and hopeful in terms of this point. If the glacier is melted away, the sea proportion of the earth will be wider than now, and then we cannot have any land as much as now.
Or like the movie, "Tomorrow", all over the world will be covered with snow and ice. And only cold will remain. How miserable the world will be! What will our descendents become of?
For our earth and our descendents, we should do something.
The answer depends on us. Let's save the earth. cheers

Thank you. Take care, sunny

young
I am absolutely favor of your view. Somehow, in the movie of "Matrix Reloaded", one of the characters says that there is always a cause and effect. We are right now front of the climate change, so that nobody can escape from the result. Like Young said, WE must be resposible for this and we should do something around us first!
Bae Sung-han
Bae Sung-han
Wizard
Wizard

Posts : 89
Join date : 2008-03-12
Age : 46

Back to top Go down

This week's video news #2... (discuss in class March 20) - Page 4 Empty Re: This week's video news #2... (discuss in class March 20)

Post  Bae Sung-han on Wed Apr 02 2008, 12:51

kim young-ah wrote:This video news reminded me of some stories that I heard in my middle school days. The stories were that our planet earth would be exterminated by Fire and Water(Flood). I think Fire means global warming, greenhouse effect by carbon dioxide, the destruction of the Ozone layer and so on. And Water means, I guess, flood, that is, glacier's melting.
I'm of the opinion that, in the end, the Fire and Water are dependent upon our behavior, i.e. to keep our environment safe and clean or not.
The environmental pollution (including air, water and soil pollution and all kinds of wastes) causes the earth to get disease and the earth has got the fever like that we have fever when we get disease. Here, the fever means global warming.
Due to global warming, the glacier is melted away. The melted water from the glacier is flown into the ocean. And the sea level is raised, finally flood!!!
So, all over the world is trying to save the earth, except USA and China. Sometimes I think if USA and China control their wastes and pollution, our earth will be O.K. soon.
But, without keeping the earth safe and clean, global warming would be accelerated and flood is coming much sooner than several thousand years.
I'm not sure the future is safe and hopeful in terms of this point. If the glacier is melted away, the sea proportion of the earth will be wider than now, and then we cannot have any land as much as now.
Or like the movie, "Tomorrow", all over the world will be covered with snow and ice. And only cold will remain. How miserable the world will be! What will our descendents become of?
For our earth and our descendents, we should do something.
The answer depends on us. Let's save the earth. cheers

Thank you. Take care, sunny

young

I just lost what I mentioned for Young's saying.
Anyway, I am absolutely favor of your point of view.
Like the movie Matrix Reloaded, there is always a casue and effect.
Now we are facing with the effct of our behavior to the world.
We shoudl do something around us frist, such as using public trasportation instead of our own cars, not using a lot of can spray, and so on.
Bae Sung-han
Bae Sung-han
Wizard
Wizard

Posts : 89
Join date : 2008-03-12
Age : 46

Back to top Go down

This week's video news #2... (discuss in class March 20) - Page 4 Empty Re: This week's video news #2... (discuss in class March 20)

Post  Bae Sung-han on Wed Apr 02 2008, 13:12

Liz wrote: I'm of the opinion that Tibetans keep protesting peacefully to recover their autonomy. This is the perfect time for them to get attention from all over the world owing to 2008 Beijing Olympic Game. However, an Olympic boycotting is not a way to solve this problem because it's against the spirit of the Olympic.
Whatever the reason is, China's reaction to this problem should be criticized for using military force. China is such a hugh country and Tibet is just a small part of it. Comparing military forces between two parts, it's just like beating one's head against the wall. Therefore if it is asserted that cultural genocide is taking place in Tibet, there should be a through investigation upon it.
My prediction is that it's going to develope like a Tienanmen Square crackdown. As you see, no powerful country but France and Germany is announcing their opinion on this problem. Because China's power is getting stronger in the world, many powerful countries pretend not to know anything about it. Using this weak point, China's authority will block down all the mass media and rely on military power to achieve peace.

Giving a prediction is very difficult for me becasue there is always a dilema there. In my mind, I'd like to boycott taking part of Olympic games, but it migyht be influential around Asian countries, espeicially countries near China. When the Soviet Union collapsed, small countries in the union wanted to be independent from the Soviet Union and eventually they did it.
China is a bit different from the situation of Moscow. China have seen the communist's country collapse and after that, Beijing was trying to accept the democratic system. So I think that in China there is a mixed system between communism and democracy. I am afraid to say that if Olympic games are not held in scheduled time the countries which are trying to be free from the
China may have more suffering than ever before. So as a personal, there is only one thing left for me is to pray to God for them.
Bae Sung-han
Bae Sung-han
Wizard
Wizard

Posts : 89
Join date : 2008-03-12
Age : 46

Back to top Go down

This week's video news #2... (discuss in class March 20) - Page 4 Empty Re: This week's video news #2... (discuss in class March 20)

Post  Bae Sung-han on Wed Apr 02 2008, 13:24

inmyheart479 wrote:I have chosen the third video clip titled " Champagne demands fizzing" just because nobody seems to take an interest in it, admitting that I am not a big fan of champagne though. Very Happy

No discussion of wine is complete without mention of France, the home of a variety of delicacies. Especially for the sparkling wine, champagne has become a household name in the world. As we all know, sparkling white or rose wines are made in many parts of the world but only producers in a designated region of eastern France have the right to call their product champagne.

I'm of the opinion that sales of champagne all around the world are fizzing. The existing vineyards have almost reached the limits of what they can produce without diluting the quality of the world's favourite celebratory drink. Faced with surging demand, the only thing that is certain is that more champagne vineyards are needed. A few years from now, the existing champagne vineyards will no longer be able to cope with the demand. According to the news, for the first time since the official boundaries were drawn in 1927, the land entitled to grow champagne grapes is to be significantly increased, by as much as 15 percent by 2015.

My prediction on this is that it is not just a matter of meeting insatiable demand for champagne by increasing the production. Protection of food names based on geographic criteria is a global phenomenon but champagne stands out among other products because of its international recognition and massive sales. The fact is the more that growing is extended to marginal areas, the more the quality and reputation of the whole champagne appellation is diminishing. The danger of a demand-led expansion of champagne- growing areas - even to land already mapped for champagne use - remains real. The big houses would always be able to maintain quality. But there might be a proliferation of cheaper blends, which could progressively undermine the reputation of the region. Moreover, extending the champagne vineyards could be wonderful for the area as a whole but very difficult to take for some villages and individuals if the new boundaries were drawn in such a way that their lands are narrowly excluded for no obvious reason. There will be jealousy and tension between villages, neighbours, within families. Some people are going to become very rich, that's clear, but there could also be a lot of problems which economic windfall bring to the area. That is a problem for the future. The villages included among the chosen will have every cause to celebrate while Others will see no reason to open the champagne.
I don't believe that what I have just heard!!
I am not here whehter to be favor of or not. How much do we drink during the year? I don't know but drinking wine or champagne is getting higher than ever every year. I don't get it. I don't drink. But in our country, we have a lot of problem with it right now, such as drunk driving which is most dangerous thing in the world I suppose. I am sorry to leave this message but I am so worried about that problem. I hope our classmate in the class do not drink much of it though.
Bae Sung-han
Bae Sung-han
Wizard
Wizard

Posts : 89
Join date : 2008-03-12
Age : 46

Back to top Go down

This week's video news #2... (discuss in class March 20) - Page 4 Empty China is a behemoth!!

Post  Joo Un-jin on Wed Apr 02 2008, 16:42

I agree with Liz's opinion that other countries don't blame on China because it is such a powerful country. They don't want to break relationship with China. Its abuse of power will continue, I think. It's time for the world to criticize China together.
Joo Un-jin
Joo Un-jin
Wizard
Wizard

Posts : 50
Join date : 2008-03-13

Back to top Go down

This week's video news #2... (discuss in class March 20) - Page 4 Empty Re: This week's video news #2... (discuss in class March 20)

Post  Kyeong-im on Wed Apr 02 2008, 17:55

Your writing really impress me, especially metaphors like fire-greenhouse effect, water-melting ice, and fever. Because of them, it's really easy to read. Yes, we DO something to save our earth! ^ㅁ^
Kyeong-im
Kyeong-im
Wizard
Wizard

Posts : 55
Join date : 2008-03-09

Back to top Go down

This week's video news #2... (discuss in class March 20) - Page 4 Empty Whom are you referring to?

Post  Jason Renshaw on Wed Apr 02 2008, 18:03

Kyeong-im wrote:Your writing really impress me, especially metaphors like fire-greenhouse effect, water-melting ice, and fever. Because of them, it's really easy to read. Yes, we DO something to save our earth! ^ㅁ^

Hi Kyeong-im,

Whose contribution exactly are you referring to? You might like to hit the "QUOTE" key next to the person's original response, then offer your comment underneath it. Then the person (as well as the rest of us) knows it is him/her you are referring to...

Thanks for offering your comment to a classmate!

~ Jason


***

_________________
Jason Renshaw
Kyungpook National University, Teachers' College, Department of English Education
Daegu City, Republic of Korea 702-701

Managing Director: www.onlinEnglish.Net
Author: http://www.boostskillsseries.com
Weblog: http://jasonrenshaw.typepad.com
Jason Renshaw
Jason Renshaw
Admin
Admin

Posts : 334
Join date : 2008-03-07
Age : 46

http://onlinEnglish.net

Back to top Go down

This week's video news #2... (discuss in class March 20) - Page 4 Empty thanks ~!

Post  Kyeong-im on Wed Apr 02 2008, 18:21

Lee Pilsu wrote:Opinion: I'm of the opinion that what's happened and is still happening in Lhasa, Tibet should be investigated thoroughly and reported more objectively by the journalists from around the world. All I can see from the video clips regarding the violence in Lhasa is about Tibetians using violence, damaging Chinese people's property, getting arrested by the Chinese soldiers. But the news doesn't show much of the violence made by the Chinese army, which many think is editted by the Chinese government before the news is released to the world. The international communities, however, suppose that a serious case of human rights' violence is being committed in Lhasa. While the Chinese government claims that only about 10 Tibetians were killed, the Tibet's government-in-exile argues that the number reaches up to as many as 80 or 100.
Watching Tibetians being chasing after by the Chinese soldiers with a club in hand, and Tibetians women crying uncontrollably at the sence of their men being beaten and arrested by the brutal soldiers, I felt a strong sympathy towards Tibetians, who lost their sovereignty in 1950 when the Chinese Liberation Army conquered the country by powerful military forces. If you watch the movie, "Seven Years in Tibet," you can see how Chinese military destroyed the peaceful life of Tibetians, burning up the village and killing people. Similarly, Korea also experienced brutal colonial rule by Japan for 35 years in the first half of 20th century. In 1910, March 1st, Koreans across the nation stood up against Japan calling for our independence. So how can we who had gone through similar experience in the past not help but feel sympathy towards Tibetians?

Prediction: My predition is that many people around the world will boycott the China's 2008 Summer Olympics. Some countries are expressing their negative views on the recent violent, heavy-handed crack down on Tibetians by the Chinese government and considering shunning the opening ceremony of the sports event. In addition, China's diplomatic relations with other advanced nations will get worse as more political leaders are to meet up with Dalai Lama. China has already shown its utter unpleasantness when German Chancellor, Angela Merkel, invited Dalai Lama, in Germany and when Dalai Lama gave a speech at the congress of United States.

Actually, I don't enough knowledge of policy. Still now, it has been one of my unfavorite subject. ^_^; However, professor's response caught my eyes so that I read your writing. I think I learned something. Thank you about that!
Not only China but also other strong/powerful countries, they have to put themselves into weak countries. If we understood other situation and didn't require too much profits, the world would be better place to live.
Kyeong-im
Kyeong-im
Wizard
Wizard

Posts : 55
Join date : 2008-03-09

Back to top Go down

This week's video news #2... (discuss in class March 20) - Page 4 Empty I'm sorry~ ^.^;

Post  Kyeong-im on Wed Apr 02 2008, 18:24

Jason Renshaw wrote:
Kyeong-im wrote:Your writing really impress me, especially metaphors like fire-greenhouse effect, water-melting ice, and fever. Because of them, it's really easy to read. Yes, we DO something to save our earth! ^ㅁ^

Hi Kyeong-im,

Whose contribution exactly are you referring to? You might like to hit the "QUOTE" key next to the person's original response, then offer your comment underneath it. Then the person (as well as the rest of us) knows it is him/her you are referring to...

Thanks for offering your comment to a classmate!

~ Jason

I refer to Kim young-a and I also hit "QUOTE" key. At first time, I thought "quote(the original wirting)" took a lot of space so I just erased it. ^^;;;

***
Kyeong-im
Kyeong-im
Wizard
Wizard

Posts : 55
Join date : 2008-03-09

Back to top Go down

This week's video news #2... (discuss in class March 20) - Page 4 Empty Champagne & Wine..

Post  Kyeong-im on Wed Apr 02 2008, 18:52

Ji Young, Kim wrote: I'm of the opinion that it's a good decision to expand the area where Champagne grapes can be grown legally. Actually, in Korea we usually call any kinds of white sparkling and bubbling wines under various names produced throughout the world champagne, which are often drunk to celebrate something. However, true Champagne comes only from the Champagne region in northeast France, which is considered the best. Though it is very expensive because of its prestige and rarity, its popularity and demand is still getting higher and higher as said in the news. If they grow more champagne grapes due to the expansion of the area, it will be definitely helpful in satisfying the increasing demands and, obviously the revenues will be greatly improved.

It seems like there are concerns among some independent producers that the quality and prestige might go down because of the expansion. However, I believe that they will be able to keep the best quality if they continuously make their efforts for quality control and customer satisfaction, like, for example, sticking to their strict standards on the aging of their wines.



My prediction is that, as I have already mentioned, all the revenues will be improved thanks to the expansion. And traditionally wines and champagnes were mostly produced and consumed in the west, but these days there is an increasing popularity of wines and champagnes in the East, so I think Asia will be their one of the biggest markets soon. So maby they will try to invent or develop new tastes of champagne to attract and satisfy Asian customers.


Thank you for letting me know the meaning between champagne and wine. I have drunk champagne one or two times to celebrate something. At that time, it was made for kids. ^^; Nowadays, I like to drink wine. really delicious! ... I agree with your prediction Asia might be one of the beggest markets. Koreans really like drinking and singing. ^-^;; I also look forward to enjoying champagne and wine without a burden of expensiveness.
Kyeong-im
Kyeong-im
Wizard
Wizard

Posts : 55
Join date : 2008-03-09

Back to top Go down

This week's video news #2... (discuss in class March 20) - Page 4 Empty I agree with your opinion

Post  Jung Yoojin on Wed Apr 02 2008, 20:08

Liz wrote: I'm of the opinion that Tibetans keep protesting peacefully to recover their autonomy. This is the perfect time for them to get attention from all over the world owing to 2008 Beijing Olympic Game. However, an Olympic boycotting is not a way to solve this problem because it's against the spirit of the Olympic.
Whatever the reason is, China's reaction to this problem should be criticized for using military force. China is such a hugh country and Tibet is just a small part of it. Comparing military forces between two parts, it's just like beating one's head against the wall. Therefore if it is asserted that cultural genocide is taking place in Tibet, there should be a through investigation upon it.
My prediction is that it's going to develope like a Tienanmen Square crackdown. As you see, no powerful country but France and Germany is announcing their opinion on this problem. Because China's power is getting stronger in the world, many powerful countries pretend not to know anything about it. Using this weak point, China's authority will block down all the mass media and rely on military power to achieve peace.

I totally agree with your opinion and I haven't thought as your prediction way. It is inevitable to think in political and economical aspects. Even Korean government can not criticize anything about Chinese crackdown. Sometimes I feel so anxious about national power, even if we have much stronger power than other nations, can't we blame Chinese government? Anyway, I think all over the world should watch out Chinese government 's boosting power.
Jung Yoojin
Jung Yoojin
Wizard
Wizard

Posts : 77
Join date : 2008-03-12
Age : 36

Back to top Go down

This week's video news #2... (discuss in class March 20) - Page 4 Empty your writing is fantastic!

Post  Jung Yoojin on Wed Apr 02 2008, 20:20

Lee Pilsu wrote:Opinion: I'm of the opinion that what's happened and is still happening in Lhasa, Tibet should be investigated thoroughly and reported more objectively by the journalists from around the world. All I can see from the video clips regarding the violence in Lhasa is about Tibetians using violence, damaging Chinese people's property, getting arrested by the Chinese soldiers. But the news doesn't show much of the violence made by the Chinese army, which many think is editted by the Chinese government before the news is released to the world. The international communities, however, suppose that a serious case of human rights' violence is being committed in Lhasa. While the Chinese government claims that only about 10 Tibetians were killed, the Tibet's government-in-exile argues that the number reaches up to as many as 80 or 100.
Watching Tibetians being chasing after by the Chinese soldiers with a club in hand, and Tibetians women crying uncontrollably at the sence of their men being beaten and arrested by the brutal soldiers, I felt a strong sympathy towards Tibetians, who lost their sovereignty in 1950 when the Chinese Liberation Army conquered the country by powerful military forces. If you watch the movie, "Seven Years in Tibet," you can see how Chinese military destroyed the peaceful life of Tibetians, burning up the village and killing people. Similarly, Korea also experienced brutal colonial rule by Japan for 35 years in the first half of 20th century. In 1910, March 1st, Koreans across the nation stood up against Japan calling for our independence. So how can we who had gone through similar experience in the past not help but feel sympathy towards Tibetians?

Prediction: My predition is that many people around the world will boycott the China's 2008 Summer Olympics. Some countries are expressing their negative views on the recent violent, heavy-handed crack down on Tibetians by the Chinese government and considering shunning the opening ceremony of the sports event. In addition, China's diplomatic relations with other advanced nations will get worse as more political leaders are to meet up with Dalai Lama. China has already shown its utter unpleasantness when German Chancellor, Angela Merkel, invited Dalai Lama, in Germany and when Dalai Lama gave a speech at the congress of United States.

First of all, I want to say your writing seems fantastic! I appreciated your writing and opinion. (compared with yours mine seems humble ㅜ,ㅜ) Anyway, I saw another news talking about Tibetan demonstration. Even Tibetan riots are getting serious, the Olympic procedure keeps going. There was a protest even in greece ceremony to celebrate Olympics. And president Bush promised to attend the Olympic. I think boycott is a good idea to show their position or opinion, but I doubt Chinese government consider that or not. Tibetan need to have thorough investigation by the country which is not related with China. (such as France or other European countries)
That could lead the thorough scrunity, I believe
Jung Yoojin
Jung Yoojin
Wizard
Wizard

Posts : 77
Join date : 2008-03-12
Age : 36

Back to top Go down

This week's video news #2... (discuss in class March 20) - Page 4 Empty Very good ~!!

Post  eunjin39 on Wed Apr 02 2008, 20:49

Lee Pilsu wrote:Opinion: I'm of the opinion that what's happened and is still happening in Lhasa, Tibet should be investigated thoroughly and reported more objectively by the journalists from around the world. All I can see from the video clips regarding the violence in Lhasa is about Tibetians using violence, damaging Chinese people's property, getting arrested by the Chinese soldiers. But the news doesn't show much of the violence made by the Chinese army, which many think is editted by the Chinese government before the news is released to the world. The international communities, however, suppose that a serious case of human rights' violence is being committed in Lhasa. While the Chinese government claims that only about 10 Tibetians were killed, the Tibet's government-in-exile argues that the number reaches up to as many as 80 or 100.
Watching Tibetians being chasing after by the Chinese soldiers with a club in hand, and Tibetians women crying uncontrollably at the sence of their men being beaten and arrested by the brutal soldiers, I felt a strong sympathy towards Tibetians, who lost their sovereignty in 1950 when the Chinese Liberation Army conquered the country by powerful military forces. If you watch the movie, "Seven Years in Tibet," you can see how Chinese military destroyed the peaceful life of Tibetians, burning up the village and killing people. Similarly, Korea also experienced brutal colonial rule by Japan for 35 years in the first half of 20th century. In 1910, March 1st, Koreans across the nation stood up against Japan calling for our independence. So how can we who had gone through similar experience in the past not help but feel sympathy towards Tibetians?

Prediction: My predition is that many people around the world will boycott the China's 2008 Summer Olympics. Some countries are expressing their negative views on the recent violent, heavy-handed crack down on Tibetians by the Chinese government and considering shunning the opening ceremony of the sports event. In addition, China's diplomatic relations with other advanced nations will get worse as more political leaders are to meet up with Dalai Lama. China has already shown its utter unpleasantness when German Chancellor, Angela Merkel, invited Dalai Lama, in Germany and when Dalai Lama gave a speech at the congress of United States.

Oh.. I think you made yourself very clear in your opinion and prediction. While I was reading it, I felt sad to think about people in Tibet. Hope that something to help Tibetans can happen in the future. Sad
eunjin39
eunjin39
Wizard
Wizard

Posts : 60
Join date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

This week's video news #2... (discuss in class March 20) - Page 4 Empty Oh.. very vivid ~!!!

Post  eunjin39 on Wed Apr 02 2008, 20:56

kim young-ah wrote:This video news reminded me of some stories that I heard in my middle school days. The stories were that our planet earth would be exterminated by Fire and Water(Flood). I think Fire means global warming, greenhouse effect by carbon dioxide, the destruction of the Ozone layer and so on. And Water means, I guess, flood, that is, glacier's melting.
I'm of the opinion that, in the end, the Fire and Water are dependent upon our behavior, i.e. to keep our environment safe and clean or not.
The environmental pollution (including air, water and soil pollution and all kinds of wastes) causes the earth to get disease and the earth has got the fever like that we have fever when we get disease. Here, the fever means global warming.
Due to global warming, the glacier is melted away. The melted water from the glacier is flown into the ocean. And the sea level is raised, finally flood!!!
So, all over the world is trying to save the earth, except USA and China. Sometimes I think if USA and China control their wastes and pollution, our earth will be O.K. soon.
But, without keeping the earth safe and clean, global warming would be accelerated and flood is coming much sooner than several thousand years.
I'm not sure the future is safe and hopeful in terms of this point. If the glacier is melted away, the sea proportion of the earth will be wider than now, and then we cannot have any land as much as now.
Or like the movie, "Tomorrow", all over the world will be covered with snow and ice. And only cold will remain. How miserable the world will be! What will our descendents become of?
For our earth and our descendents, we should do something.
The answer depends on us. Let's save the earth. cheers

Thank you. Take care, sunny

young

Oh.. your opinion and prediction were like a very well written novel for me; it was so vivid that suddenly I start to think that something tragic will happen soon. Well, it's so scary to think that the end of the earth will come soon. Also.. it's good to know that the earth will be examined by fire and water. I feel like people are selfish.. Nations are selfish.. Like you said, hope that America and China can take measures for what they're doing to our home earth.
eunjin39
eunjin39
Wizard
Wizard

Posts : 60
Join date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

This week's video news #2... (discuss in class March 20) - Page 4 Empty China is a scary country, I think

Post  eunjin39 on Wed Apr 02 2008, 21:14

Liz wrote: I'm of the opinion that Tibetans keep protesting peacefully to recover their autonomy. This is the perfect time for them to get attention from all over the world owing to 2008 Beijing Olympic Game. However, an Olympic boycotting is not a way to solve this problem because it's against the spirit of the Olympic.
Whatever the reason is, China's reaction to this problem should be criticized for using military force. China is such a hugh country and Tibet is just a small part of it. Comparing military forces between two parts, it's just like beating one's head against the wall. Therefore if it is asserted that cultural genocide is taking place in Tibet, there should be a through investigation upon it.
My prediction is that it's going to develope like a Tienanmen Square crackdown. As you see, no powerful country but France and Germany is announcing their opinion on this problem. Because China's power is getting stronger in the world, many powerful countries pretend not to know anything about it. Using this weak point, China's authority will block down all the mass media and rely on military power to achieve peace.

Oh.. I think the great things about your writing are you mentioned Olympic spirit and China's growing political power over the world. Hope that everybody could be happy in this world.. It's so sad to see the "power" fights in this world..
eunjin39
eunjin39
Wizard
Wizard

Posts : 60
Join date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

This week's video news #2... (discuss in class March 20) - Page 4 Empty very good point

Post  eunjin39 on Wed Apr 02 2008, 21:21

Kim Su-kyung wrote:Opinion - This kind of news is not anymore surprising thing to us, all of us already heard of it and know the seriousness of upcoming environmental disaster. So it is strange that we all know the threatening dangers around us, we do not have aggressive actions. I think that people usually show thier potential ability or power when they are faced with extreme situation. In that point, It seems that unusual change in the weather like global warming is a kind of warning , but we still do not feel the dangers seriously. So I think that we really have to realize the direct, specific and detail results of the melting glacier and give our all efforts to prevent from rapidly ongoing environmental pollution.

Prediction - In Antarctic, it's warming 5 times faster than the global average. If we do not aggressive acion, the region in Antarctica in near future will be submerged into the sea, and might have to transfer to safer spots. We will not assure that this kind of nature disaster is none of our business. As time goes by, thickness and size of the glacier all over the world becomes thinner and smaller, after all human beings can not live on this planet anymore.

I think you pointed out well the fact that people are not interested in this global warming and ice melting issue. They already know about this, but do not feel serious because they cannot feel it directly. Also, it's scary to think about the end of this earth!!
eunjin39
eunjin39
Wizard
Wizard

Posts : 60
Join date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

This week's video news #2... (discuss in class March 20) - Page 4 Empty we have to do something for our future, really.

Post  eunjin39 on Wed Apr 02 2008, 21:47

Bae Sung-han wrote:I'm of the opinion that melting glacier is one of the climate changing problems, which we must be concerned about nowadays. We have been facing the problems every year, particulary in summer and winter. Even though the sea level has risen up each year, we haven't yet noticed or, mayby we can say, ignored the coming disasters. Melting glacier is the result of what we have done to nature, so that we must know and take some actions to protect it.
I'm so worried about what will meet in every season because of the climate changes. In the late spring, we will have the heavy yellow dust all around the Korea and Japan, nobody can escape from the attack of nature, in spite of the fact that we have tried to prevent the deseted area in China and Mongol for ages. It is shameful that human beings are so stupid that we make our mistakes contuinally and repeatedly.
My prediction is that as long as we do not take the problem seriously, we will face the disater in a couple of years. I don't know what we are doomed, but we can save our lives at least if we do act somthing before we lose the chance done by us. After experiencing more damages than before, we will know that what we have done. But somehow, in the Europe and other countries in the world, the authorities began to realize that nature is sick and the problems around the world are getting out of control. I hope we will not be the generation of the destroyer. All wake up and take some actions right now!! Cool

I think you well pointed out the fact people are ignoring the fact that they're facing disaster... even myself.. I feel guilty about that... I'm really scared of the end of this world. Also... like we always learned from school, we must protect our nature to hand this down to our next generation.. I hope that this generation can do something for our nature before it is too late.. This kind of history should not repeat again.
eunjin39
eunjin39
Wizard
Wizard

Posts : 60
Join date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

This week's video news #2... (discuss in class March 20) - Page 4 Empty Re: This week's video news #2... (discuss in class March 20)

Post  Nam-suk on Wed Apr 02 2008, 22:46

Kim Jin-Young wrote:(opinion)

Judging from hot issues of climate changes, I'm of the opinion that the life of future generations doesn't seem to be better than now. I also think that blasphemous disasters may suddenly happen sooner or later. What makes us more serious is that it is impossible to predict the size and strength of upcoming disasters. For sure, melting glacier is one of good examples. Frankly speaking, as a woman, I'm seriously concerned about my children's life in the Earth. In this reason, I'm not sure whether I will have a baby or not, if I get married. Do you think that I exclusively focus on the negative side? I don't want my children to live in the Earth which will probably be transformed to the world in the movie "The Day after Tomorrow".



(prediction)

As the article said, the rate of melting glacier is faster than expected. In Antarctica, the thickness of glacier becomes thinner and the size of it is getting smaller. My prediction is that melting antarctic glacier will have little effects on the world sea level; the glacier in Antarctica is in a different situation from that in the Arctic. In other words, antarctic glacier is floating on the sea, which can be explained in the same way that ice is floating in the cup which is full of water. If it is melted in a cup, it is unlikely to flood. However, this story is totally unsuitable for applying to the Arctic. The moment glacier is melted in the Arctic, the earth may go through many confusing changes. The reason is that hugh arctic ice lies on the land, not floating in the sea. If all of the ice undergoes changes in the Arctic, the world sea level will rise up to 60 meters higher than now. If so, areas that are 60 meters above the present sea level are likely to submerge into the sea. Moreover, many world famous or even ancient cities are located near the sea or rivers. It's also likely that the sea will become less saltier because of the influx of fresh water from glacier. Caused by low density of salt, the pattern of currents will become less active. drunken


I'm totally agree with your prediction about this article..And I think that's really pity that people let their precious ancient remains to go away with their irreversible mistakes...However..we can have something to keep our planet and I guess we'd better get hope for the future as a positive way like having our adorable babies to get fresh air and water...
Nam-suk
Nam-suk
Flyer
Flyer

Posts : 45
Join date : 2008-03-13

Back to top Go down

This week's video news #2... (discuss in class March 20) - Page 4 Empty Re: This week's video news #2... (discuss in class March 20)

Post  Nam-suk on Wed Apr 02 2008, 23:18

Joo Un-jin wrote:opinion: I think that China must be critisized for it wants to conquer Tibet by force. It's not legitimate. Tibet is not a part of China. They have been wholly different. Tehy have been seperate nations for a long time and have nothing in common in culture, history and so on. But China wants to have Tibet for their profit. Many people in the world feel wonder about Tibet for it is famous for Tibet Buddhism. I think that by taking advantage of them, China wants to make money. It doesn't have right to do that. Events like this happened several times. Chinese killed Tibetan protesters, destroyed temples and tried to own it by force. Tibetan hatred to China is so deep. How can China have Tibet as a part of it despite this situation? To have Tibet ignoring people and its culture is impossible.China must respect other nation's right of its own and gift independence to Tibet.
Chinese economy is growing rapidly so it wants to be a leading country. That's why it tried so hard to hold Olympic games. But it is caught in narrow opinion that it is best in Asia and the world. So it tries to conquer other nations like Tibet and Korea by force or changing history. To be a real leader in the world, China has to learn how to respect other nations and coexist with others peacefully.

prediction: My prediction is that inspite of Tibetan protest and boycott opinion for Beijing Olympics, there will be little change. Personally I agree with the boycott but China is so strong that other nations may be afraid of their ties' being broken with it. NGOs can make movements against China. But government leaders cannot do things against it easily.
And I think Olympic games will be held eventually. IOC is against boycott for the Beijing Olympics. There was riot in Mexico City just one day before the Mexico Opympic games, but IOC insisted having it on time. Finally it was held...


How pathetic China is!!
China is showing rapid growth in everything..even some people say there might be the advent of the second chinese glorious days in history, but they are neglecting something important, that's the fact that people who got something with the sword, they inevitably lose everything with the same or even worse way.
Nam-suk
Nam-suk
Flyer
Flyer

Posts : 45
Join date : 2008-03-13

Back to top Go down

This week's video news #2... (discuss in class March 20) - Page 4 Empty Re: This week's video news #2... (discuss in class March 20)

Post  Kim Eun-jung on Thu Apr 03 2008, 06:37

Joo Un-jin wrote:opinion: I think that China must be critisized for it wants to conquer Tibet by force. It's not legitimate. Tibet is not a part of China. They have been wholly different. Tehy have been seperate nations for a long time and have nothing in common in culture, history and so on. But China wants to have Tibet for their profit. Many people in the world feel wonder about Tibet for it is famous for Tibet Buddhism. I think that by taking advantage of them, China wants to make money. It doesn't have right to do that. Events like this happened several times. Chinese killed Tibetan protesters, destroyed temples and tried to own it by force. Tibetan hatred to China is so deep. How can China have Tibet as a part of it despite this situation? To have Tibet ignoring people and its culture is impossible.China must respect other nation's right of its own and gift independence to Tibet.
Chinese economy is growing rapidly so it wants to be a leading country. That's why it tried so hard to hold Olympic games. But it is caught in narrow opinion that it is best in Asia and the world. So it tries to conquer other nations like Tibet and Korea by force or changing history. To be a real leader in the world, China has to learn how to respect other nations and coexist with others peacefully.

prediction: My prediction is that inspite of Tibetan protest and boycott opinion for Beijing Olympics, there will be little change. Personally I agree with the boycott but China is so strong that other nations may be afraid of their ties' being broken with it. NGOs can make movements against China. But government leaders cannot do things against it easily.
And I think Olympic games will be held eventually. IOC is against boycott for the Beijing Olympics. There was riot in Mexico City just one day before the Mexico Opympic games, but IOC insisted having it on time. Finally it was held...

I also think China deserve criticism. And your point that China wants to make money using the popularity of Tibet Buddhism is really interesting. China is supposed to hold Olympic games in 2008. You said some countries plan boycott because of Tibet genocide this time. I think it can be an opportunity for Tibet. The world's attention is focused on Tibet, and Tibet can make a case for their independence.

Kim Eun-jung
Flyer
Flyer

Posts : 40
Join date : 2008-03-13

Back to top Go down

This week's video news #2... (discuss in class March 20) - Page 4 Empty Re: This week's video news #2... (discuss in class March 20)

Post  Kim Eun-jung on Thu Apr 03 2008, 06:58

kim young-ah wrote:This video news reminded me of some stories that I heard in my middle school days. The stories were that our planet earth would be exterminated by Fire and Water(Flood). I think Fire means global warming, greenhouse effect by carbon dioxide, the destruction of the Ozone layer and so on. And Water means, I guess, flood, that is, glacier's melting.
I'm of the opinion that, in the end, the Fire and Water are dependent upon our behavior, i.e. to keep our environment safe and clean or not.
The environmental pollution (including air, water and soil pollution and all kinds of wastes) causes the earth to get disease and the earth has got the fever like that we have fever when we get disease. Here, the fever means global warming.
Due to global warming, the glacier is melted away. The melted water from the glacier is flown into the ocean. And the sea level is raised, finally flood!!!
So, all over the world is trying to save the earth, except USA and China. Sometimes I think if USA and China control their wastes and pollution, our earth will be O.K. soon.
But, without keeping the earth safe and clean, global warming would be accelerated and flood is coming much sooner than several thousand years.
I'm not sure the future is safe and hopeful in terms of this point. If the glacier is melted away, the sea proportion of the earth will be wider than now, and then we cannot have any land as much as now.
Or like the movie, "Tomorrow", all over the world will be covered with snow and ice. And only cold will remain. How miserable the world will be! What will our descendents become of?
For our earth and our descendents, we should do something.
The answer depends on us. Let's save the earth. cheers

Thank you. Take care, sunny

young



I'm also worried about the future of the Earth. Many symptoms of environmental pollution warns us of the end of the Earth. Sometimes I'm anxious and sometimes I forgot actually. You said China should control their waste, I think it's right. As the economy of China is growing, it causes many environmental pollutions. Yellow dust levels become more and more higher every spring. So some treatments are needed.

Kim Eun-jung
Flyer
Flyer

Posts : 40
Join date : 2008-03-13

Back to top Go down

This week's video news #2... (discuss in class March 20) - Page 4 Empty reply for no1 video

Post  jangdj on Thu Apr 03 2008, 07:25

kim young-ah wrote:This video news reminded me of some stories that I heard in my middle school days. The stories were that our planet earth would be exterminated by Fire and Water(Flood). I think Fire means global warming, greenhouse effect by carbon dioxide, the destruction of the Ozone layer and so on. And Water means, I guess, flood, that is, glacier's melting.
I'm of the opinion that, in the end, the Fire and Water are dependent upon our behavior, i.e. to keep our environment safe and clean or not.
The environmental pollution (including air, water and soil pollution and all kinds of wastes) causes the earth to get disease and the earth has got the fever like that we have fever when we get disease. Here, the fever means global warming.
Due to global warming, the glacier is melted away. The melted water from the glacier is flown into the ocean. And the sea level is raised, finally flood!!!
So, all over the world is trying to save the earth, except USA and China. Sometimes I think if USA and China control their wastes and pollution, our earth will be O.K. soon.
But, without keeping the earth safe and clean, global warming would be accelerated and flood is coming much sooner than several thousand years.
I'm not sure the future is safe and hopeful in terms of this point. If the glacier is melted away, the sea proportion of the earth will be wider than now, and then we cannot have any land as much as now.
Or like the movie, "Tomorrow", all over the world will be covered with snow and ice. And only cold will remain. How miserable the world will be! What will our descendents become of?
For our earth and our descendents, we should do something.
The answer depends on us. Let's save the earth. cheers

Thank you. Take care, sunny

young
very insightful and heartwarming ...
jangdj
jangdj
Mover
Mover

Posts : 23
Join date : 2008-03-18

Back to top Go down

This week's video news #2... (discuss in class March 20) - Page 4 Empty Re: This week's video news #2... (discuss in class March 20)

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum