English Advance!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

OP1: My Deepest Fear

+3
Inkab
Younghee choi
Ko, Min-Jung
7 posters

Go down

OP1: My Deepest Fear Empty OP1: My Deepest Fear

Post  Ko, Min-Jung Tue Mar 18 2008, 12:12

Everyone wants to succeed, and doesnt want to fail in their life. This simple human nature often makes people laugh or cry at every moment. Some people enjoy challenging the hardship and say that they take risks because they enjoy it, however, in my case I am really afraid of beginning a work for fear of failing.

The fear of failure I have ranges from trivial things such as not being able to answer in the class, or find a perfect place to park my car in a narrow parking lot to failing in the exam at the end of this year or living on the street without a job and having a miserable death.

Sometimes Im so overwhelmed by the fear and I want to abandon all my responsibility and run away from it all. In fact, I lived like a hermit away from all my friends and acquaintances, not attending classes for a year back in college more than 10 years ago. Was I happy, being away from all the worries? On the contrary the fear of failure increased and deepened day by day, so I decided to change the strategy of avoiding the fear. I made up my mind to face the fear in front me without worrying whether I would succeed or not. Since then, the fear of failure has given me impetus to work.

It seems that kind of my nature has led me to general success, but, in fact, thats also the result of avoidance of the big challenges in my life. Ive often preferred easier work and wanted easier life, and ironically Im standing on a thorny path. Now I a little regret having taken seemingly easier roads in the past.

However, I accept my nature and am prepared to live with it for many decades to come. I will have to live with a fear after another fear. If it does not harm your mental health seriously, it could be a positive driving force in my life.

Last edited by Jason Renshaw on Sat Mar 22 2008, 20:49; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Subject)
Ko, Min-Jung
Ko, Min-Jung
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

OP1: My Deepest Fear Empty Re: OP1: My Deepest Fear

Post  Younghee choi Tue Mar 18 2008, 21:55

It seems that your fear of failure has worked out for the best.
Keep up the excellent work as you have done so far.
Younghee choi
Younghee choi
Superstar!
Superstar!

Back to top Go down

Post  Inkab Wed Mar 19 2008, 21:10

In your writing, you sound like a bit passive person.
But you know and I know that it's not easy to continue our study as a kind of old aged,
at the same time raising a child.

It's quite impressive, thinking of your innate character as you said, that you're passing through this 'thorny path'. I feel that sooner or later you reach the destination you're walking towards.
Fighting M injung! (Even though this is Konglish, I would like to say this )sunny
Inkab
Inkab
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

OP1: My Deepest Fear Empty Min-Jung's feedback

Post  Jason Renshaw Thu Mar 20 2008, 07:29

Hi Min-Jung,

Thanks for posting your writing in response to this topic. Fear of failure is a huge issue in Korea in particular, where there appears to be so much at stake. It was quite inspiring to see how you approached and coped with this, but more impressive to see how honestly you tackled and explored the issue in your writing. Well done.

My only criticism here is that you have focused exclusively on your fear and there was nothing about your greatest hopes. In effect, you've only really dealt with 50% of the set topic...

Below you will find some suggestions for language development:

Ko, Min-Jung wrote: Question Everyone wants to succeed, and doesnt want to fail in their life. This simple human nature often makes people laugh or cry at every moment. Some people enjoy challenging the hardship and say that they take risks because they enjoy it, however, in my case I am really afraid of beginning a work for fear of failing.

The fear of failure I have ranges from trivial things such as not being able to answer in the class, or find a perfect place to park my car in a narrow parking lot to failing in the exam at the end of this year or living on the street without a job and having a miserable death.

Sometimes Im so overwhelmed by the fear and I want to abandon all my responsibility and run away from it all. In fact, I lived like a hermit away from all my friends and acquaintances, not attending classes for a year back in college more than 10 years ago. Was I happy, being away from all the worries? Question On the contrary the fear of failure increased and deepened day by day, so I decided to change the strategy of avoiding the fear. I made up my mind to face the fear in front me without worrying whether I would succeed or not. Since then, the fear of failure has given me impetus to work.

Question It seems that kind of my nature has led me to general success, but, in fact, thats also the result of avoidance of the big challenges in my life. Ive often preferred easier work and wanted easier life, and ironically Im standing on a thorny path. Now I a little regret having taken seemingly easier roads in the past.

However, I accept my nature and am prepared to live with it for many decades to come. I will have to live with a fear after another fear. If it does not harm your mental health seriously, it could be a positive driving force in my life.

Cool Everyone wants to succeed, and nobody wants to fail in their life

Cool On the contrary, the fear of failure increased and deepened day by day, so I decided to change my strategy of avoiding it

Cool It seems that something about my nature has led me to general success

Not serious errors, but things for you to think about :-)

I really liked this sentence in your essay: The fear of failure I have ranges from trivial things such as not being able to answer in the class, or find a perfect place to park my car in a narrow parking lot to failing in the exam at the end of this year or living on the street without a job and having a miserable death.

Keep up the great work and I'll look forward to seeing your next effort.

Best regards,

~ Jason

Jason Renshaw
Jason Renshaw
Admin
Admin

http://onlinEnglish.net

Back to top Go down

OP1: My Deepest Fear Empty I agree with your fear

Post  Sera Jung Mon Mar 24 2008, 17:40

For me, it is also hard to get out of my shell. I usually feel afraid to do something new . This makes me feel more stressful avoiding myself being willing to take risks. Your writing inspired empathy to me whiling reading.
Sera Jung
Sera Jung
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

OP1: My Deepest Fear Empty I want to run away.

Post  HyejinJeon Mon Mar 24 2008, 19:29

I am also overwhelmed by fear of future. In addition, there are so many what to do in these days, so I want to run away Laughing

I am impressive by this sentence;

"If it does not harm your mental health seriously, it could be a positive driving force in my life."

Sometimes, fear makes me powerful!.
HyejinJeon
HyejinJeon
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

OP1: My Deepest Fear Empty Hello Minjung

Post  Jung namsook Thu Mar 27 2008, 14:04

Hi, how are you? Minjung.

I sometimes wonder if you are feeling good or not 'cause you sometimes looked very tired. To be honest, I really want to be an expectant mother, too. Even though I'm not so good mother, I want my daughter to have her siblings. If possible, I prefer to have a big family, I'm getting older, though.

Most of all, I hope you stay in shape all the time and share good information about raising children or a secret way to get younger. I do need it. Also, I wish you will be more smiling in life and your baby will be much happier.

Have a great day!
Take care,

Namsook
Jung namsook
Jung namsook
Superstar!
Superstar!

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down