English Advance!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Journal 7) Beloved

4 posters

Go down

Journal 7) Beloved Empty Journal 7) Beloved

Post  Young Sun Jun 08 2008, 20:59

Beloved: Black Slaves’ lives

Can human being be an owner of human being? This semester, I am taking the class, Modern American Novels. You might remind something lovely when you hear the title, Beloved. So did I. However, this book is about miserable black slaves’ lives. Actually, I have never thought about black slaves before because Korean history and society is not related to the black people. However, after reading Beloved, I changed my mind. The history of black slaves is about human beings. For a short moment, I even had feeling to hate white people.

White people took many black people from African Continent to the American Continent as their slaves. They loaded black people being naked on the ship, and they did the wicked things human beings can commit. Raping and hitting with a whip was common. In addition, they sold and bought black people as their property. Moreover, they didn’t care the babies by raping, who were called mulattos. Some black women didn’t feed their milk for babies and let them just die because they really hated those babies caused by white people.

Beloved represents all the black people sacrificed, especially, black women. In this book, the main character, Sethe, killed one of her children cutting 20-month-old baby’s neck with a saw. She committed this horrible crime with the reason that she didn’t want her daughter to live like her and wanted to hurt white people who were about to capture her and her children. Before this accident happened, she ran away from the Sweet Home, where she worked as a slave with her husband and other friends. In Sweet Home merely whose name was sweet, only she and her children succeeded in running away from the house.

Sixo who failed to run away died burning being alive. Halle who was a Sethe’s husband disappeared being crazy. At the end of the story, Sethe could have a chance to tell sorry to her killed daughter (this sounds ridiculous, but it is in the story) and got new partner and friends. How much grudge do black people have had? Some Korean people have bad feeling and hatred toward Japanese because they killed and looked down Korean people while Japan invaded and ruled Korea. As Japan doesn’t apologize about what they committed to Korea, white people don’t seem to feel guilty. Rather, do they have a sense of superiority or still despise black people?

I strongly believe all kinds of people are equal and from the same God. No one can reign over same human beings. Also, I am wondering if white people prayed to God to get blessed while committing the cruelest conduct to black people. This book made me think if I have a tendency to ignore foreign workers from the Philippines or Vietnam. Or have I ever looked down even Koreans due to poverty, appearance, or jobs? The writer of this book, Toni Morrison, mentioned ‘It was not a story to pass on.’ several times. We shouldn’t forget black people’s death and think about what we are.
Young
Young
Superstar!
Superstar!

Back to top Go down

Journal 7) Beloved Empty Wow!

Post  Jung namsook Sun Jun 08 2008, 21:25

I can see clealy how much your writing is advancing to the top. It's so wonderful journal that proves enough your time and effors is never in vain. You deserve to be great as a super mom and student. I would be reading this journal again.

Beloved is not an easy book to read for fun and yet it must be worth sharing considerable time. The novel is reputated one of the best books in a decade. I completely agree with the review. However, it's terribly tragic a story so that I cannot but appreciate God being so understanding to permit me to breathe here in my place. Now I get my fingers crossed not to despise any creature. Bye
Jung namsook
Jung namsook
Superstar!
Superstar!

Back to top Go down

Journal 7) Beloved Empty Re: Journal 7) Beloved

Post  Younghee choi Sun Jun 08 2008, 21:43

Thank you for introducing a good book.
Although I've never read that book I could imagine how cruel human beings can be as I was reading your journal. It's tragic that human beings are the enemy of themselves.
I was told that many complicated causes were involved in the American Civil war but above all I admire Abraham Lincoln's courage and determination to set the Black free.
The book really awakened me to a sense of human dignity.
Younghee choi
Younghee choi
Superstar!
Superstar!

Back to top Go down

Post  Inkab Tue Jun 10 2008, 00:03

As Namsook mentioned, I also can see your writing skills have been improved significantly compared to those previously done. I like the way you narrated in a relieving mood, details comprehensible to potential readers of this book, and the final reflecting on your own. I agree the book doesn't read readily , but based on your insightful review, I might try to go over this book for this summer vacation, hopefully (you know what I mean!). I really enjoyed your essay.
Inkab
Inkab
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down