English Advance!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

OP8How do you think the next generation of teachers in Korea could ensure that teaching approaches incorporate a more even balance (and integration) of skills?

Go down

OP8How do you think the next generation of teachers in Korea could ensure that teaching approaches incorporate a more even balance (and integration) of skills? Empty OP8How do you think the next generation of teachers in Korea could ensure that teaching approaches incorporate a more even balance (and integration) of skills?

Post  Cho Jun-woo Mon Jun 09 2008, 09:47

To date, most of the English language instruction carried out in public schools has been oriented around reading and grammar skills. How do you think the next generation of teachers in Korea could ensure that teaching approaches incorporate a more even balance (and integration) of skills?

When I look at the past days of English class, it was only about examinations for entrance. English exists only for that. In examinations, English is holding higher weight so English is important. According to that, teachers are only focusing on grammer and reading. Even students are thinking there two skill is all about English.

First, I think main problem is assessment system. In examinations for entrance, university assesses only reading and grammer. They are not caring about other skills. I believe anyone can't blame the high schools. In Korea society, university can decide one man's whole life. So naturally all high schools have to concern about examination for enterance. Therefore above all I see assessment system should be changed.

Next, I think second problem is attitude of teachers. Especially, old teachers are concerning about their self-stability first. "No accident, no problem" I think they are having in mind like these thought. Teachers should change thier mind first. They need to back at biginner's mind and study constantly. If it's same one text, following teacher, It can become hundred or thousands text.

All in all, I ensure English class will be changed more balanced class. However the moment when it's changed I can't ensure. Recently, I can see it's starting to change but it's just very meager. Though, in conclusion I don't daubt if all people who related with English education make effort it's going to be changed.
Cho Jun-woo
Cho Jun-woo
Mover
Mover

Back to top Go down