English Advance!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Journal 6

4 posters

Go down

Journal 6 Empty Journal 6

Post  Youn Sujin Mon Jun 09 2008, 20:21

Many of us have experienced disciplinary action while we were in schools. Most of the time, we felt guilty, as well as angry, ashamed, when we're punished physically. Nowadays, corporal punishment including spanking, hitting or other actions to inflict physical pain seems to have decreased significantly; though I don't believe it's also same with my old school. I think my highschool teachers can not stop spanking their students. Anyway, based on my own experience, I think it's quite reasonable to ban corporal punishment at schools.

First of all, there is a possibility that teachers can punish their students not to point out and correct their perceived misbehavior, but to satisfy their personal wants, or to get rid of their stress. Also, violent action can easily make the teachers' mind out of control. As a result, there always are students suffering from thoughtless punishment. For an example, when I was in a middle school, a young teacher had hit all the girls' upper legs with a stick. It was like a physical abuse, since the degree of punishment itself was too severe, compared to what our classmates had done. We had a hard time in concentrating in the class, and some of the girls started to whispering each other. Because of that minor situation, all of us had to be irrationally punished and got hurt as well. In this case, the teacher failed to control his mind, or he might just wanted to get rid of his stress by hitting his students. We shouldn't accept this kind of violence at school.

Also, teachers can't change how the students behave only by giving them physical pain. It is a hasty conclusion that students would realize their misbehavior and correct it by corporal punishment. Sometimes it might work, however, usually students who are punished do not recognize it's wrong and finally start complaining of the teachers. I, also thoght like that. Whenever I was punished because I made a trouble, I endured the pain for that moment and that was all. There was no following self-reflection on my behavior. Then I repeated the same action, then it follows a punishment with no self-examination. The effect of corporal punishment is extremely momentary one and it can't be a chance to lead the students to act in desirable way.

I believe corporal punishment is the most tempting way in educating students for the teachers who are not capable of using their own ability to lead the students. It seems to work at the very moment, however it does not bring a long-term effect. A good teacher should be able to control the students' behavior without hurting them and sympathize with them. In that process, corporal punishment is no longer needed.
Youn Sujin
Youn Sujin
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

Journal 6 Empty Re: Journal 6

Post  Ju-mi,Im Mon Jun 09 2008, 20:28

Corporal punishment in school has been one of social problems.
Of course, corporal punishment is sublated as possible.
There are a lot of ways to punish students which lead them to right ways.
Ju-mi,Im
Ju-mi,Im
Flyer
Flyer

Back to top Go down

Post  Younghee choi Mon Jun 09 2008, 20:59

You supported your opinion against corporal punishment with good reasons from the student viewpoint. I think regular school teachers should read your journal.
During the teaching practicum, I've witnessed many cases of corporal punishment especially afflicted to boy students. Teachers said students didn't listen to them without giving physical punishment. It is sad for teachers to think that corporal punishment is an inevitable way to control the behaviors of students.

Younghee choi
Younghee choi
Superstar!
Superstar!

Back to top Go down

Post  Jung namsook Mon Jun 09 2008, 21:41

It must be a momentary way to solve the problem. Without any self-reflection of misbehavior, nothing can be improved. Moreover, students recognize very well whether teachers are abusing authority or punishing in the way of education. I regard coporal punishment as the last one to work out troubles. Teachers should never ever be emotional and agressive to deal with the problems in the class.
Jung namsook
Jung namsook
Superstar!
Superstar!

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down