English Advance!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[OP10]It is impossible to implement effective English language instruction in Korean schools on account of the student to teacher ratio in each class.

Go down

[OP10]It is impossible to implement effective English language instruction in Korean schools on account of the student to teacher ratio in each class. Empty [OP10]It is impossible to implement effective English language instruction in Korean schools on account of the student to teacher ratio in each class.

Post  HyejinJeon Tue Jun 10 2008, 23:13

It is impossible to implement effective English language instruction in Korean schools on account of the student to teacher ratio in each class.

Do you agree or disagree with this statement? Why or why not? Use reasons and examples to support your opinion.

When I read above sentence, I thought it is true. However a few minutes later, I want to change "impossible" into "hard". Although I agree that a small class is one of the best way to improve Korean English education. Nevertheless, it is hard for making a small class to be realized quickly. Moreover, a little big class has advantages, and there are alternations.

First of all, in a big class, teachers use group activity to control many students effectively. If there are many students, they can give any opinions freely in a group. As a result, it leads students to be creative and critical. In a gruop, each member can develop their presentation attitude and thinking by asking and answering. This is cooperative learning. It makes a synergy effect. For example, in kyungpook girl's high school, there were 38 students. It was a huge class. At first, I was worried how I could control them. I decided to use group activity. They knew everyone's level, so they were not worried about making a mistake. I asked them to share opinions with group members, summarize, and presente it. In brainstorming step, they gave diffierent opinions, and next steps were done well. Although we have a big class, successful learning is dependent on cooperative learning.

Secondly, the most essential factor in learning is motivation. That is, the importance is student's attitude. However a class may be small, unmotivated students can't learn successfully. One of my students was interested in French because she wanted to become Sommellerie who is related to wine. Sad to say, French is the second language and doesn't be included in 수능 (LikeSAT). Therefore, most classmates in that class were not interested in French. Most of them didn't do class activity, while the student was really active in learning. At that time, a small class can't solve problem perfectly. When we talk about factors that make learning successful, motivation is an essential factor. Therefore, in a big class, teachers have to able to lead student's positive motivation.

To sum up, a big class has advantages. Using group activity is easy not only to control many students but also lead cooperative learning. In addition, motivated sutdents can study in a big class. I think it is just hard to control a big class, so an effective English instruction can be done. It is not impossible to implement effective English language instruction in Korean public schools.

HyejinJeon
HyejinJeon
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down