English Advance!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

final exam video article from Han Kyung Jae

+6
Kim Eun-jung
bakbann
Lee Hye Jin
Joo Un-jin
Jung Yoojin
Han Kyoung Jae
10 posters

Go down

final exam video article from Han Kyung Jae Empty final exam video article from Han Kyung Jae

Post  Han Kyoung Jae Mon May 12 2008, 15:49

Han Kyoung Jae
Han Kyoung Jae
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

final exam video article from Han Kyung Jae Empty Summary of the Video article

Post  Han Kyoung Jae Wed May 21 2008, 07:42

At a school in China, there are many chinldren who change their school frequently and go long way from home to get an education because of their parents' unstable jobs. Even there is a child who has changed her schools 5 times already. The principal of the school says that they are naive and have strong will to learn more. But frequently changing schools and peer groups carries own psychological baggage. Also the UNISEF representative says changing school is not good for the children. So Chinese government should invest time and money to give the children same right to study as others in the world.

Last edited by Han Kyoung Jae on Wed May 21 2008, 09:00; edited 1 time in total
Han Kyoung Jae
Han Kyoung Jae
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

final exam video article from Han Kyung Jae Empty pre-listening activities

Post  Han Kyoung Jae Wed May 21 2008, 08:09

subject : high school students (on 1st or 2nd grade students)

pre-listening activities

1. use background knowledge to understand the article better.
a. telling own experience
b. discussion about pros and cons of the changing schools
2. teach them useful key words used for the article.
3. show them other materials to teach China's location and economical situation

Before watching and listening the video article, students need some background knowledge to understand it better. So to do that, I will ask the Ss if they have some experiences to change schools. And if they have, I will also ask them how they felt when they went to the new school at first, using the sentences like "Have you ever transferred your schools before?" "How do you feel when you got to the new school and met your new peers?"
In this case we can teach them "Present perfect tense".
Also we can have a discussion about the pros and cons of the changing schools frequently.
Besides we can teach them various other contents about China, we can teach them key words used for the article to understand it better.

Last edited by Han Kyoung Jae on Wed May 21 2008, 09:01; edited 4 times in total
Han Kyoung Jae
Han Kyoung Jae
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

final exam video article from Han Kyung Jae Empty post-listening comprehension activities

Post  Han Kyoung Jae Wed May 21 2008, 08:09

To check the students comprehension of the article we can use the following methods.

1. use simple cartoons or pictures showing how the stories are connected.
(show Ss mixed pieces of cartoons and then make them rearrange the cartoons in a proper order)

2. make them check the true or false using the sentences of the story.
e.g) The children are reluctant to change the school because of their parents (o,x)

3. filling the blanks
prepare some blank sentences based on the article and make them fill the blanks after watching and listenig the article.

4. use the words to make trees showing the connection
e.g) changing schools
friend , study , family problem
long way from home , parents' job

Last edited by Han Kyoung Jae on Wed May 21 2008, 08:57; edited 3 times in total
Han Kyoung Jae
Han Kyoung Jae
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

final exam video article from Han Kyung Jae Empty post-listening productive activities

Post  Han Kyoung Jae Wed May 21 2008, 08:41

1. discuss the article especially in terms of advantages and defects of changing schools frequently (for speaking)

2. make them write a simple 'public service advertising' based on the article. In this case, they can show their own opinion which we have already discussed. (for writing)

3. a. make a simple dialogue for two people.
e.g) one is a mother who has to move another workplace because of unstable job and insists her daughter that she should change her school, and the other is her daughter who doesn't want to transfer her school.
b. then using the script we can do a role play. (for pair work)

4. tell them to find an interesting article about changing schools or teenagers' school life in English for a home assignment and then use them for the next class discussion.
Han Kyoung Jae
Han Kyoung Jae
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

final exam video article from Han Kyung Jae Empty It is sad to hear the news.

Post  Jung Yoojin Thu May 29 2008, 19:52

It is sad to hear there are lots of children who have to move lots of times due to their parents' temporay jobs. I am really sympathized with that situation, because i also have 5times movement from school to school due to my fathers' career. Which make me very sad for aparting friends frequently. This is interesting topic with students who have several experiences from their changes of schools. Maybe we can also encourage studnets talk about the effects of transfering schools to children.
Han Kyoung Jae wrote:At a school in China, there are many chinldren who change their school frequently and go long way from home to get an education because of their parents' unstable jobs. Even there is a child who has changed her schools 5 times already. The principal of the school says that they are naive and have strong will to learn more. But frequently changing schools and peer groups carries own psychological baggage. Also the UNISEF representative says changing school is not good for the children. So Chinese government should invest time and money to give the children same right to study as others in the world.
Jung Yoojin
Jung Yoojin
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

final exam video article from Han Kyung Jae Empty I think in dirrenet way

Post  Jung Yoojin Thu May 29 2008, 19:59

I agree with your activities to elicit students' prior knowledge from their experiences. And it is a good idea to talk about their own experiences among students. But I wonder if we discuss pros and cons on the transfering schools with all of your 4 activities in pre-listening stage, I think it could take a little bit long time to do so. Those are wonderful ideas for pre-listening stage, but I think we need to focus on one or two activities. Because I think pre-listening stage activate students' background knowledge to listen more effectively before listening their videoclip in the classroom.

I would like to talk about your post-listen acitivity for production. It is really nice way to make student speak by debate. Students will speak and discuss a lot on the topic. And I want to know the reason why you are trying to make a dialouge work. It sounds you are going to make students make a dialogue and do a role play with their respective partner. Even though those activity could give rise to enhance writing and speaking, you will have already implement speaking activity for debate and writing activity for simple public school advertisement. So I think you can reduce the extent of activities in post-listeing activity for production .
Han Kyoung Jae wrote:subject : high school students (on 1st or 2nd grade students)

pre-listening activities

Before watching and listening the video article, students need some background knowledge to understand it better. So to do that, I will ask the Ss if they have some experiences to change schools. And if they have, I will also ask them how they felt when they went to the new school at first, using the sentences like "Have you ever transferred your schools before?" "How do you feel when you got to the new school and met your new peers?"
Also we can have a discussion about the pros and cons of the changing schools frequently.
Besides we can teach them various other contents about China, we can teach them key words used for the article to understand it better.
Jung Yoojin
Jung Yoojin
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

final exam video article from Han Kyung Jae Empty Re: final exam video article from Han Kyung Jae

Post  Joo Un-jin Sun Jun 01 2008, 17:12

1. Changing schools frequently cna damage students. I transfered from Seoul to Daegy when I was 10. I had difficulty adjusting myself to fully new situation. I didn't want to experience the same harshness again. All the people want safety. Children are vulnerable. They have to feel safe especially when they are growing up. If they are hurt at them time, it is even more dangerous. I think that Chinese government must do something on the situation. Children's frequent transfer became social problem. The government must try to give their parents stable jobs.

2. I like that you teach students 'present perfect tense' in asking questions which are related with their real life. Grammar is difficult to teach. Students get easily bored. Asking several questions using a certain grammar point is an interesting way.
And you teach students something about China. They get some infromation about other countries. I think it can broaden their views to the world.

3. You mentioned that 'we can have a discussion about the pros and cons of the changing schools frequently.' i wonder if there are any pros for changing schools frequestly.

Han Kyoung Jae wrote:subject : high school students (on 1st or 2nd grade students)

pre-listening activities

Joo Un-jin
Joo Un-jin
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

final exam video article from Han Kyung Jae Empty Re: final exam video article from Han Kyung Jae

Post  Lee Hye Jin Sun Jun 01 2008, 19:53

Pre-listening

This news clip is very closely related to Ss' life. You can have some meaningful conversation using structure like "Have you ever +p.p". Through natural situation they can study grammar and also background knowledge about the news.

It is very interesting they have more chances to have some knowledge about China

not only about the news content.

Post-listening

About the reordering cartoon, I'm sorry but I can't get the picture about it. Does the teacher prepare for the cartoon or pictures about it?

True or False questions are good for Ss to get the clear picture about the news clip.

You connected Listening Activity to Speaking and Wiring Activity. Making public service advertising will draw Ss interests. Without thinking they are studying English they can be deep into English through the activity. But I want to know some clearer and concrete procedure about it.

I also like the activity making dialogue. It will be really practical and useful. It will be really fun. Doing role playing in front of Ss and giving some prize to the best actors or actress can be a good activity.
Lee Hye Jin
Lee Hye Jin
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

Post  bakbann Mon Jun 02 2008, 07:24

1. I feel sorry for and worried about chinese children. If they transfer schools too often, their life will be unstable and affective development will be influenced. it will be hard for children to get used to new life in new place. I am of the opinion that the government should take action to improve working condition so that parents don't need to move. In addition, schools should operate special programs for transfer students who have a problem of mingling with new classmates and adapting to new environment.

2. First, I think the use of cartoons or pictures is a great idea. This is interesting enough to intrinsically motivate students. They will enjoy themselves. If students are required to fill out blanks or answer to the written questions, they feel they are tested, which can cause tension not fun or intrinsic motivation. Moreover, this stimulates students' visual senses. I am of the opinion that varying senses in learning situation helps students' learning. This will also satisfy visual learners who prefers studying charts, drawings, and other graphic information.

Second, I like making trees to show the connection of words. Students can keep words in their memory based on the connection. This relatability, in turn, enables meaningful retention and long term memory.

Third, I like the role play as a mother and a child who may have a bit different opinion about transfer. The activity is a meaningful learning. It goes without saying that this is highly plausible in their daily life. Students will be interested in this and participate with great enthusiasm. Moreover, the dialogue itself will be very easy.

3. I don't understand about public service advertisement. Here's what I am guessing: If students are for transfer, they make ads like "Transfer is not bad for these reasons." Otherwise students advertise that frequent changing schools is detrimental to students. Am I right?

4. Your pre- and post-listening productive activities are largely dependent on the issue of transfering school. I think students can discuss various subtopics such as "how to solve the problem?", "what government can do?", or "what schools can do?".
bakbann
bakbann
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Eun-jung Mon Jun 02 2008, 19:32

1. This problem is universal. So it is a problem in Korea, as well. Transferring makes kids feel unstable. As most people thinks, I also think it's better to stay one school constantly and be in a stable relationship with teachers and peers. It seems that students do well at school in that situation.

2. First, in your pre-listening activities, I like the one that activate background knowledge through telling personal experience. It can be motivating in that it connects listening material with real world experience. Second, "mind map or concept map" activity is a very good idea. It's a new way of post-listening comprehension activity. It is usually used as post-reading activity, but it seems to be a good post-listening activity, as well.

3. In your post-listening comprehension activities, you mentioned the activity using cartoons. I don't know well what kind of cartoon you mean. Is it the one teachers make on their own, or the one they get from other materials? And what kind of content does it have?

4. You can make students to write a journal about their personal experience of changing schools. If they don't have that kind of experience, it will be good as well to write about their close friend's changing schools. Students can write what they felt, what kind of problems they had, and how they overcome them in that situation. Actually, you dealt with this briefly in the pre-listening activity, but all the students don't have the chance to tell. So this writing activity can give every student the chance to write their own experience.

Kim Eun-jung
Flyer
Flyer

Back to top Go down

Post  Ji-eun Tue Jun 03 2008, 20:20

Have you ever had an experience changing schools? Actually, i am not this case, but i can image how difficult or hard they are! New circumstances, new friends and teachers, new school but expect them, other friends are so close... oh, it is misearble! And the worse thing is that it is because of their parents' unsustable works. It is really sad story and thanks to let me know this story.

I think this topic is pretty close to the students, so they will show interest with this video news. There can be lots of reasons of changing schools, but most of reasons are due to their parents, not them. However, after changing schools, their parents can't help them and all of things which they have to handle in a new school are their's job. So students can feel some pity and maybe show their interst with this topic. In my opinion, most of highschool or middle school students must feel difficult or hard when they meet this kind of full-English video news. So in order to make a succesful class for both of them, the most important thing is the pretty easy or familiar topic! At this point, you chose topic very well. ^^

The most impressed part of your post listening activty is that making a connection between the words. After they learn some words in video news, if they have a chance to make a connection between them, it will be very helpful for comprehension of words' meaning and video news! So i want to try this way someday. ^^ But i think filling blanks through listening video news might be little bit difficult for them, as the words in video news are pretty hard to get it. And i want to get more information about post-listening activity! I have a few difficult to make an outline with this activity, so.. ^^

Anyway, it was very fun to read and make comments with your lesson plan. Thank you for reading my poor comments.^^;
Ji-eun
Ji-eun
Flyer
Flyer

Back to top Go down

Post  Boyun Park Thu Jun 05 2008, 05:56

Hello~* Like a Star @ heaven

I feel sorry hear that these young children have to move and change schools frequently due to their parents' unstable jobs. I've also had a friend who changed school 5 times when she was young because her dad was a soldier. She could overcome the adjusting problem to new schools after couple of times but still recalls that it's not a pleasing memory. It's a relief that these students in the video look bright and have strong will to learn. But it's not an easy thing for students to move a lot when young and that could affect him/her physically and psychologically. I believe it's necessary for the Chinese government to give extra attention to these students so that they can have the same right to study and finish schools.

Reading your lesson plan, I thought the topic was appropriate and familiar to the students so that they can have many opinions about it and have an active English speaking time. Also, the lesson plan is well organized for students to comprehend the video as well as have chance to talk about their experiences.

I really liked the way you started your pre-listening activity with asking them about their experiences because some Korean students go through similar situations. Moreover, you brought up an activity that is quite similar to 'Finding Out' activity we did in the earlier class. Students will be able to learn grammar such as 'present perfect tense' by being asked by teacher repeatedly and hearing other student's reply.

But while reading, I couldn't understand what you meant by 'public service advertising' based on the article.

Lastly, I'd just like to add a little thing to the productive activity part. In the video, it says that Chinese government should take action to let these students have same right to study. I think it'll be a good idea to have a discussion about how can the government help these students and this solution could also have some relation to the pre-listening activity 3, Chinese economical situation.

Enjoyed reading your lesson plan and hope my reply helped^^ Very Happy
Boyun Park
Boyun Park
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

Post  Bae Sung-han Thu Jun 05 2008, 06:50

I don't know what to say about this news. After being a father, my heart and feelings is so vulnerable that I'd sometimes like to cry over this puzzling world for children.
I can feel other fathers's feelings in somewhere out there, living without their children. I am sure this is not only the case of China but also that of Korea. Many fathers in Korea have been separated by the force of some of sort of economic problems. I hate that. All family memebers must be together as one. I must say that government support them to live together, even though I don't consider much of political issues. That's one thing we don't give up in this world.
Hopefully, I wish the children in video news were with their parents now.

I think this lesson is related to the real situation, so that some of the students will be touched and they can share it with the others, if possible. And I think this is perfect for the students in the secondary schools.
In the post-listening activities, you would like to use cartoons for students to understand it better. Good idea indeed! And also making a tree is not compared with other activities for this. Therefore this is tremdously effective and interactive activities to teach students.

Nevertheless, I doubt a bit why you would like to refer the grammatical points in the pre-listening activities. Students might be afraid to speak their thoughts freely with any obstacles if you mentioned the grammar which is indirectively saying how to speak. It would be better to let them go their own way. In this case, fluency is more important than accuary.
In general, you did a good job!^^ Very Happy

Last edited by Bae Sung-han on Thu Jun 05 2008, 09:18; edited 3 times in total
Bae Sung-han
Bae Sung-han
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Jin-Young Thu Jun 05 2008, 06:53

1. This story is kind of a pitiful story. In china, children who have poor parents would be in the unsecure state in schools: no sufficient financial support, changing a school several times. Its story will get much attention from students in that they are both teenagers. Although few students in korea are in the same situation as students in china, it makes them feel sympathized with chinese students.

2. I like your activities in the pre-listening section. All of three suggestions I think are helpful to enhance students' understanding to the whole script. Also, to check if students fully understand the flow of story, you take an advantage of re-arrangement of randomly ordered stories. It will be effective in class which may be involved in the take-based instruction.

3, 4. Your lesson plan is great, but if I HAVE TO have a remark about small flaws, I would say that there are too many activities during one class. Quite a few suggestions might not be covered within the alloted time, 45 or 50 mins. In going through more detailed activities, I think that there is no need to insert the group discussion in the pre-listening part, if you want, it would be good to integrate it with the other post-listening activities.
However, I must say that you come up with many interesting and creative activities.

Very Happy
Kim Jin-Young
Kim Jin-Young
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

final exam video article from Han Kyung Jae Empty I'd like to change my lesson plan adapting other people's opinion

Post  Han Kyoung Jae Thu Jun 05 2008, 09:26

I'd like to change my lesson plan for a few parts to adapt other people's respond.
First of all, I can't thank you enough for giving my lesson plan much interest.
After reading some replies, I felt I should give you more specific information about my plan and the reason why I chose some activities for some part. Many people have a question about the 'public service advertising' activity. I think after discussing and sharing much ideas about the changing school, we can make some conclusion for the discussion 'for or against'. And most of the students may feel it's a pity and try to avoid the situation. So I want them to express their ideas on the advertising activity based on the their creative and real ideas such as government subsidy, public school subsidy, and so on. Also, I don't intend to do all these activities at one class. I just suggest many activities associated the video article. So if I use these activities in the real situation, I would rearrange them or select some of them regarding the alloted class time.

This is what I want to adapt other's opinions for my lesson plan.
And I don't want to chage the whole plan but just add these activities

post-listening comprehension activity

1. use simple cartoons or still picture of the video article
-At the first lesson plan I just make them right the order of the pictures based on the content. What I want to add is using the separated pictures you can make them write one-sentence story next to the each picture. I think this one is good for checking the comprehension of the detail content.
(It's ok whether you draw simple cartoons if you are good at drawing or find some separated pictures related on the content.)

2. words puzzle
-After studying about the useful key words, I show them some definitions and they make a guess to fill the puzzle.
(In this case I want them to understand what they learned in the previous activity.)

3. make the right order of the words spelling
-It's similar to no.2 activity I mentioned above. Give them hand-out on which there are scattered words spelling with the meaning. Then students complete the words in a right order after reading the meaning instruction.
e.g) t, d, u, y, s (spending time learning about a particular subject or subjects)
=study

(I can use no.2 & no.3 activities for the pre-listening activity, but I'd like to use these to check the comprehension of the words used in the video and content after watching it.)

post-listening productive activity

1.discuss not just pros & cons but also the proper plans or steps to improve it.
e.g) new school policy to help the poor students, government subsidy
(If they are against the changing schools and suggest new methods to improve the phenomenon, they should make their opinion reasonable, and vice versa.)

As I mentioned above, I don't mean to use all these activities at one class. Or if it is possible I want to do the post-listening productive activities at the next class. In that case, students can have some time to think about the problem and ideas in advance. I think that's another good idea.
Han Kyoung Jae
Han Kyoung Jae
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down