English Advance!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Final Exam : Video News article from Yoojin Jung

+4
Lee yujin
Lee Hye Jin
Kyeong-im
Jung Yoojin
8 posters

Go down

Final Exam : Video News article from Yoojin Jung Empty Final Exam : Video News article from Yoojin Jung

Post  Jung Yoojin Wed May 14 2008, 19:07

Jung Yoojin
Jung Yoojin
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

Final Exam : Video News article from Yoojin Jung Empty Summary

Post  Jung Yoojin Tue May 20 2008, 19:44

5,000 German people gatered to demonstrate to protest genetically modified food. People protest agricultural diversity against producing genetically modified food. They worry food security and they do not want to have their food endangered. They say if they begin to produce, they cannot controll food security. Even if to overcome hunger, there shouldn't be the genetically modified plant, there can be another solution such as expanding industrial things.
Jung Yoojin
Jung Yoojin
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

Final Exam : Video News article from Yoojin Jung Empty Activities

Post  Jung Yoojin Wed May 21 2008, 21:16

Subject : high school students grade in 1st or 2nd

This lesson will be integrated listening , writing into speaking skill.
This lesson will proceed in groups.

1. Pre-listening Activity
give students with pre-listeing task to elicit students' background knowledge within groups
give certain time limit around 5 minutes.
Pre-listening task example.
-Discuss the following questions in groups.
1. What is genetically modified food?
2. Give some examples.
3. Have you ever experienced to eat? Do you like it?
4. What is the word 'demonstrate', 'protest', 'diversity'? Guess what they mean.

->students can get some general ideas about the topic after this activity and they can also speak in English within groups in affective atmosphere.

2. Post-listening Activity for Comprehension
give students post-listening task to check students' comprehension about videoclip.
this activity should be done individually.

post-listeing task
[example]
1. Confirming your vocabulary guess through your listening.
1-1. Choose the answer with the appropriate use of vocabulary within the listening context.

-demonstrate
1) He demonstrated that the earth is round.
2) He demonstrated how to use the instrument.
3) He demonstrated the new car.
4) He demonstrated against a racial prejudice in front of the City Hall.
-protest
1) Bank employees protest their low wages.
2) Harold protested that he never stole a penny in his life.
3) Harold filed a protest against the inappropriate service.

1-2 Make sentences with appropriate use of 'diversity'
A :
[/u]

2. Write a brief report with your own understanding of listening context.

3. Let's check the comprehension of videoclip. Give True or False in each statements.
1) There were around 5,000 german gathered to protest.(True of False?)
2) People worry about the control of genetically modified food production.
3) People do worry about the security of food.
4) Agricultural diversity can be one of the solutions to world hunger.
5) People demonstrate against the use of food for plant instead of biofuel.

3. Post-listening Activity for Production
I want students to think critically about the topic with pros and cons opinions as well as to speak English in groups

In groups, students debate about the topic "Do you agree with genetically modified food to decrease the food shortage? Why? Debate pros and cons with this topic"
Give limit time around 5 minutes to discuss. After 5 minutes, one of group member gives their summary of debate. Share all of the group opinions together.
Jung Yoojin
Jung Yoojin
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

Final Exam : Video News article from Yoojin Jung Empty It's similar to our situation BSE

Post  Kyeong-im Sat May 31 2008, 17:51

Dear yoojin,

Your videoclip reminds me of BSE, in Korea. As you know well nowadays many people gather to protest against the import of American cows. Food is directly related to our lives so it's very important to keep it safe. Students also may show a deep interest in this video and BSE. ^^;

I like your plan to teach them vocabularies. Rote learning like looking for dictionary and memorizing the words is not effective. Through your plan students can recognize in which context the words are used. In addition, they can improve ability to guess using some clues in the sentence, paragraph.

In pre-listengin activity, you said students are gonna speak about the video and topic in affective atomosphere. If students are reluctant to do that how do you encourage them? How make affective atomosphere?

What I want to say is that sometimes time limit makes students stressful. 5 minutes, it's too short to discuss actively and bring this to a conclusion. Compared to my experience, when I was a high shool student in the first grade, I only said "Yes" or "No". So give students much time to do that. ^^;
Kyeong-im
Kyeong-im
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

Final Exam : Video News article from Yoojin Jung Empty Re: Final Exam : Video News article from Yoojin Jung

Post  Lee Hye Jin Sun Jun 01 2008, 07:55

By asking some concrete and general questions about the video clip, students can build enough background knowledge enough to conect it with the video. And by giving them chances to guess some words which are very important to understand the video, students can focus on the meaning and build their ability to guess the meaning through the context.

And while listning they can confirm their guessing and focus on the meaning. I like the idea teacher first give some words teacher want them to know and make them guess about the meaning, not presenting the meaning first. And then give some context and a lot of exmaples using the words. Through the activity they can surely understand and get some hunch about the words.

And I also the idea to have some T/F Questions about the video clip. Through the activity they can have some more chances to listen to the clip and get some main idea about it. (At this moment, teacher's question should be very proper to understand the main idea not focusing on detail or trivial information)

I think it's better to do the T/F Question first and then doing the report activity later. I think that's better. Because through the T/F Questions they can have clearer picture about the news.
Lee Hye Jin
Lee Hye Jin
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

Final Exam : Video News article from Yoojin Jung Empty good try!!

Post  Lee yujin Sun Jun 01 2008, 21:41

Frist I like your choice of topic because this sort of problem concerned about genetic modified food is getting serious nowadays. Students need to know and think more about it.

Pre-listening questions will help students pay more attention to the content and give them a purpose to listen which appear to be authentic listening. But I think these qustions must not be too liguisitically difficult or time -consuming to finish, so T/F qustions also might be good as well as youe qustions.

It's really nice that you give students the opprtunities to check their guess on new vocabulary, which lead them to better accurate guess.
Lee yujin
Lee yujin
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

Final Exam : Video News article from Yoojin Jung Empty Re: Final Exam : Video News article from Yoojin Jung

Post  choi Eun sil Mon Jun 02 2008, 12:18

Dear YooJin

This is a good topic to teach students because it is one of current issues many people are interested. Cenetic engineering is bringing about some important changes in the production of food. There are good things as well as disadvantages. Students will have time to think about that.
What is most interesting in your plan is teaching vocabularies. You teach vocaularies to students in a meaningful context. Students can guess and understand the meanings through the context. I think your idea to teach words is very nice. Very Happy
At the last stage, post listening activity for production, time limit is too short. I think Students need more time to discuss the topic and summarize the debate.
choi Eun sil
choi Eun sil
Flyer
Flyer

Back to top Go down

Final Exam : Video News article from Yoojin Jung Empty Good work !

Post  Oksun Tue Jun 03 2008, 12:43

Hi,Yujin. Your smile and rosy cheeks always make me happy. (Sometimes you are shy. So cuuuuute!) Hmm.. Anyway ..
You chose the touchy and hot issue considering the situation we encountered nowadays. Food is so inevitable source to live on. Genetically-engineered or genetically- modified food is not acceptable at all. However bad it may be for our health, who knows the time will come when we cannot help accepting it? Oh, well ...
In pre-listening stage , it's good for teacher to cast some questions to draw students' background knowledge. By giving some examples , you teacher let students confirm the meaning of vocabulary. In this stage, why don't you let them paraphrase the new words on their own language? In Pros and Cons stage, sometimes teacher help students brainstorm and think in a critical way, I think. Keep up the good work~~~ Very Happy
Oksun
Oksun
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

Post  Nam-suk Wed Jun 04 2008, 18:29

Considering GM food might be one of solutions for people on the verge of starvation like North Korean, this is absolutely interesting topic for students..
Especially, I was impressed by your post-listening activity for comprehension which can give exact definition of each word to students while minimizing their anxiety of speaking English by allowing them have multiple choices..also as a pruductive activity, to make them have a chance for debating with pros and cons is just good for their speaking practice..I agree with your point like No 2 individual activity for their better understanding, but group work might work well in that part, I guess..and it can't be that bad if the order of T/F questions and brief report can be changed while group working...For the productive activity, if one student in each group can be a presider for that debating, it can also a way for effective group work..I guess..^^ Overall your plan is so clear and systematic...I really liked it ..^^
Nam-suk
Nam-suk
Flyer
Flyer

Back to top Go down

Final Exam : Video News article from Yoojin Jung Empty Thank you and I really appreciate your comments

Post  Jung Yoojin Wed Jun 04 2008, 21:52

As I read our classmates' comment on my lesson plan, I can't help grinning myself rigth now.^^ I really appreciated all of your comments.(I can't reply all of comments, respectively) First of all , I agree giving just 5 minutes for group discusion is too short for learners to debate. Then I will revise it 10 minutes^^. And I also set side with Yujin's opinion on focusing on lingustic aspects. But I trys to make students guess themselves about vocabulary meaning and I didn't expect them to know well about the vocabulary. Because as you know learnig vocabulary is best accepted in meaningful context. But I should be careful not to give time-consuming activities. And the reason why giving individual work in post-activity for comprehension is that overdo group works can disperse students' attention, so I put second activity for individual works. And sometimes individual work can give students time to check what they have listened and learnd. I am looking forwad to receiving your feedback~ Embarassed
Jung Yoojin
Jung Yoojin
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

Final Exam : Video News article from Yoojin Jung Empty dangerous food

Post  eunjin39 Thu Jun 05 2008, 02:48

1. This news is related to the food crisis that Korea is about to face; because this news is related to the Korea's upcoming situation(importing genetically modified food), I think this can draw students' attention. However, the listening could be hard for the students who are already used to American English accent. People want to eat safe food, but human beings' greed doesn't allow them to do so. Even though now we eat cheap food, some day this may cause serious problems in human health.

2. I like your lesson plan because you mentioned the intended skills for the lesson at the beginning. Also, there are various forms of checking the students' comprehension in your plan. I think it's another good point of your plan that you draw the students' understanding by debating with group members. It's a good plan because students can produce what they received by sound into words and verbal sound. However, I think reading skill is also needed to do the activities in the plan, so I think four skills are integrated in this plan.

3. When doing post-listening activities, how many times do the students listen to the news to accomplish all the questions?

4. I think you need to give more time to the group members to debate properly and have to set the number of a group's members. Also, I think there should be more vocabulary lists to cover during the class.
eunjin39
eunjin39
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down