English Advance!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[OP7] Things to implement and achieve as a teacher of English in Korea

2 posters

Go down

[OP7] Things to implement and achieve as a teacher of English in Korea Empty [OP7] Things to implement and achieve as a teacher of English in Korea

Post  Ko, Min-Jung Mon May 26 2008, 11:27

[OP7]

Think about your own experiences as an English language learner. Based on this experience, what would you like to implement and achieve as a teacher of English in the Korean public school context?

Looking back on the English classes in school days, the first word that pops up in my head is “boring” ; the teacher was always repeating same grammar rules over and over again, and I had to sit there and listen to the same things that never help me truly improve my English skills. English is one of the most important subjects for you to pass the college entrance exam, but learning English in school simply produces dummies who can hardly speak or write in English in a real life. The worst thing is that the unreasonable teaching curriculums are being repeated until now. Here are some of the things that must be implemented as soon as possible in Korean public school systems.

Firstly, we need to have different levels of English class. In my opinion, there are roughly 30% of beginners, 40% of lower intermediates, 20% of upper intermediates and 10% of advanced students in high school English class. Teachers instruct English, targeting on lower intermediates. It means 30% of students get bored during class and don’t learn much from their teachers. Education policy makers are against to having advanced English classes because they think it encourages overheated competition and discourages less performing students. However, in reality, it doesn’t help anyone in this scene. Students rush to Hagwon after school to learn English because they feel they could learn there what they want. We should seriously reconsider why we can’t achieve better English education with more qualified teachers that those in Hagwon.

Secondly, students should be taught so that they can have balanced 4 skills in English. Unfortunately Korean students are learning English only in grammar-translation teaching methods. Nowadays, the textbooks are evolving and there are a lot of activities in listening, speaking and writing, but teachers skip these parts in the textbook and spend most of time on translation and explanation of grammar rules in the text, which leads students to getting bored with studying English and eventually losing interest in it. Making class active and lively by implementing various activities which promotes 4 skills in class will guarantee the improvement of balanced language skills and enable students to use English in a real life, which is the only and last purpose of studying a language.

There could be numbers of other ways to change English class in Korea, but there are also many obstacles. It could not be abolished by one or two persons’ initiation. To realize dramatic changes in English teaching it could take much more time than we expect. However, trials and errors are inevitable and should be continued to achieve them. Therefore, every teacher should keep in mind that even a small change in one class could play a big part in the future and continue with various implementations in many ways.
Ko, Min-Jung
Ko, Min-Jung
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

[OP7] Things to implement and achieve as a teacher of English in Korea Empty Hi Minjung!

Post  Jung namsook Tue May 27 2008, 16:53

How are you?

I'm so fine. I think your implements are so practical to fully persuade readers. I love the streamingl flow of your essay. I found that I was naturally expecting the third one. I was almost done with my OP7,I'm not ready to send here. Your Essat well fit on the topic showing wonderfully realistic alternative for the future English education. I would like to exactly indicate the things that are in need in public schools. Need some crtical thinking.

Bye
Jung namsook
Jung namsook
Superstar!
Superstar!

Back to top Go down

[OP7] Things to implement and achieve as a teacher of English in Korea Empty Re: [OP7] Things to implement and achieve as a teacher of English in Korea

Post  Ko, Min-Jung Thu May 29 2008, 12:26

Thank you for your reply, Nam Sook.
I'll also look forward to reading your essay on this. Well, see you next week!
Ko, Min-Jung
Ko, Min-Jung
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

[OP7] Things to implement and achieve as a teacher of English in Korea Empty Re: [OP7] Things to implement and achieve as a teacher of English in Korea

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down