English Advance!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

OP9: Teachers open the door and students enter by themselves.

2 posters

Go down

OP9: Teachers open the door and students enter by themselves. Empty OP9: Teachers open the door and students enter by themselves.

Post  Jung namsook Tue Jun 03 2008, 05:52

OP9: A noted professor of English Education in Korea uses this moto in his email signatures: “Teachers open the door. Students enter by themselves.”

What do you think is meant by this? Do you agree or disagree with it? Use reasons and examples to support your opinion.

"Teachers open the door and students enter by themselves." I suppose it's one of the most desirable definitions in education. I’ve thought that teachers have to sincerely endeavor to have an eye on every individual student's ability and excavate their born-talent. The interaction of students and teachers are so crucial to be fruitful in teaching and learning. Following teachers' acting guidance, students themselves would go forward to discover what they learn and ripen. I agree that their relationship should be inseparable and remaining as the drive and power in education.

For teachers, it must be the ideal to make them progressively unnecessary. Even if the road of teaching is a painful, continual and difficult work to be done, a true teacher should teach a student to fish rather than give a fish. Looking inside the current education, most public schools are spoon feeding that students cannot make themselves think and learn. Truly involved teachers would awaken students' curiosity and open their minds. Although setting aside other wonderful teachers in history, Anne Mansfield Sullivan was the very one patiently attempted to open an invisible door to the world for Helen Keller. The teacher had gradually guided Helen that optimism could be her faith that leads to a great achievement. Even though every teacher couldn’t be Anne Sullivan, teachers have to think over their role, that is, to actively open the world of wonderful potentials.

For learners, now matter how good teaching may be, each student must take the responsibility for his own education. Learning requires continuous time and efforts, which is not always accomplished as quickly, efficiently or effectively. It might seemingly be possible for a teacher to give a quick ride a student, however, all depends on a student’s devotion and will. I think it’s obvious that the more we now learn, the more opportunities we have for the successful life. It's all up to the learners. Throughout the struggle of students’ own volition, they eventually can get to the end. Despite the golden rule, most students would avoid taking time to struggle for a triumph. They're preferably seeking a short-cut to reach the goal. That's why private school rating is at all time high with the government new English education ignored. Learning is so long-lasting a journey that students need to cherish their visions and dreams and carry out them.

For me, I have a bitter experience that is so relevant with the motto above. Dating back to the first grader of high school, I met a considerate teacher, who would be caring to suggest students to make draw a blue print of our life. She was a person hoping to support willingly the way students were being her friends. She never spared of herself of listening to what I would be and gave me some advice. At times, she already got at what I was good at as well as poor at. Despite all her efforts I didn’t recognize her devotion to me at that time. Whenever she had reminded me of my advantages becoming English teacher, I would ignore it looking over her affective advice. Now I am back to college involved in the student as she would have expected me to be. She exactly predicted what I would like to be. Finally I can feel for her and her affective words to me.

I believe that education might be a two-way street because it's the relation of a teacher to a student such as that of a mother to a son. They are so closely connected and have influence in both ways. Teachers' role is more a giving of right questions than a giving of right answers. The questions entail teachers' affection, interests and concerns towards students. Accordingly, students themselves can direct and adjust the way they are. However, the teachers' influence would never stop and could be reflected in the way their students will be. In the coming days, I’m hoping to hold up my students to be the person ‘doing’ among the two types of people, who do and don't, showing example before opening the very door for each individual.
Jung namsook
Jung namsook
Superstar!
Superstar!

Back to top Go down

OP9: Teachers open the door and students enter by themselves. Empty Re: OP9: Teachers open the door and students enter by themselves.

Post  Sera Jung Tue Jun 03 2008, 11:08

I also think that the situation where teacher shows students how to do thier work and encourage them to display their potential to the fullest is ideal and most effective. But when we consider the circumstance of class , there are a lot what we should consider. Because there can be so many students who fail and are not fully motivated.
Sera Jung
Sera Jung
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down