English Advance!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This week's video news #2... (discuss in class March 20)

+33
Park, Saang-yung
Lee Hye Jin
jangdj
eunjin39
Kim Hyunjin
Yoobin Cha
kurt
Ji Young, Kim
sunnypine
choi Eun sil
jihyun
Ryu Jeong A
Mi Jin Jeong
inmyheart479
Lee yujin
Jung Yoojin
Boyun Park
Kim Eun-jung
Ji-eun
Kyeong-im
bakbann
Mijin Son
Nam-suk
Joo Un-jin
billy
Han Kyoung Jae
Oksun
Bae Sung-han
Liz
kim young-ah
Lee Pilsu
Kim Jin-Young
Jason Renshaw
37 posters

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

This week's video news #2... (discuss in class March 20) - Page 5 Empty Reply for Kim Young-ah

Post  Lee Pilsu Thu Apr 03 2008, 07:48

It's interesting to compare global warming and melting ice with fire and water. It makes sense, I think. Those two can cause catastrophe to human beings unless we do something to prevent it sooner or later. I also agree with your saying 'if China and U.S.A control their waste and pollusion, our earth will be o.k..' because the two of them have such a large pupulation and powerful countries. If they take the lead to curb the rising temperature of the earth, the other countries will follow suit.

kim young-ah wrote:This video news reminded me of some stories that I heard in my middle school days. The stories were that our planet earth would be exterminated by Fire and Water(Flood). I think Fire means global warming, greenhouse effect by carbon dioxide, the destruction of the Ozone layer and so on. And Water means, I guess, flood, that is, glacier's melting.
I'm of the opinion that, in the end, the Fire and Water are dependent upon our behavior, i.e. to keep our environment safe and clean or not.
The environmental pollution (including air, water and soil pollution and all kinds of wastes) causes the earth to get disease and the earth has got the fever like that we have fever when we get disease. Here, the fever means global warming.
Due to global warming, the glacier is melted away. The melted water from the glacier is flown into the ocean. And the sea level is raised, finally flood!!!
So, all over the world is trying to save the earth, except USA and China. Sometimes I think if USA and China control their wastes and pollution, our earth will be O.K. soon.
But, without keeping the earth safe and clean, global warming would be accelerated and flood is coming much sooner than several thousand years.
I'm not sure the future is safe and hopeful in terms of this point. If the glacier is melted away, the sea proportion of the earth will be wider than now, and then we cannot have any land as much as now.
Or like the movie, "Tomorrow", all over the world will be covered with snow and ice. And only cold will remain. How miserable the world will be! What will our descendents become of?
For our earth and our descendents, we should do something.
The answer depends on us. Let's save the earth. cheers

Thank you. Take care, sunny

young
Lee Pilsu
Lee Pilsu
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

This week's video news #2... (discuss in class March 20) - Page 5 Empty Reply to Bae Sung-han

Post  Lee Pilsu Thu Apr 03 2008, 07:59

I think you pointed out a very important thing about climate change when you wrote "I'm so worried about what will meet in every season because of the climate changes...nobody can escape from the attack of nature..." We don't know what natural disasters we will face this year or next year or the years after that. However, one thing is sure that if we don't take some actions, things will get worse. I think reporting about the climate change issue and rasing the public awareness is very important to tackle this internationally-concerned problem.

Bae Sung-han wrote:I'm of the opinion that melting glacier is one of the climate changing problems, which we must be concerned about nowadays. We have been facing the problems every year, particulary in summer and winter. Even though the sea level has risen up each year, we haven't yet noticed or, mayby we can say, ignored the coming disasters. Melting glacier is the result of what we have done to nature, so that we must know and take some actions to protect it.
I'm so worried about what will meet in every season because of the climate changes. In the late spring, we will have the heavy yellow dust all around the Korea and Japan, nobody can escape from the attack of nature, in spite of the fact that we have tried to prevent the deseted area in China and Mongol for ages. It is shameful that human beings are so stupid that we make our mistakes contuinally and repeatedly.
My prediction is that as long as we do not take the problem seriously, we will face the disater in a couple of years. I don't know what we are doomed, but we can save our lives at least if we do act somthing before we lose the chance done by us. After experiencing more damages than before, we will know that what we have done. But somehow, in the Europe and other countries in the world, the authorities began to realize that nature is sick and the problems around the world are getting out of control. I hope we will not be the generation of the destroyer. All wake up and take some actions right now!! Cool
Lee Pilsu
Lee Pilsu
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

This week's video news #2... (discuss in class March 20) - Page 5 Empty Reply to Joo Un-jin

Post  Lee Pilsu Thu Apr 03 2008, 08:15

You took the words right out of my mouth!! The crackdown on Tibetans by Chinese soldiers aren't legitimate at all. As you said, they have their own history and culture and people have respect and curiosities to Tibet. It's utterly wrong and avoricious for a powerful country like China to take away the freedom of a weaker country like Tibet. It's a violation of respect between nations. However, I have to agree with your prediction that in spite of the protests against Beijing Olympic this summer, China will push ahead with the event as schedule. Still, some spectators from many other countries will continue their individual boycott in the streets of Beijing.

Joo Un-jin wrote:opinion: I think that China must be critisized for it wants to conquer Tibet by force. It's not legitimate. Tibet is not a part of China. They have been wholly different. Tehy have been seperate nations for a long time and have nothing in common in culture, history and so on. But China wants to have Tibet for their profit. Many people in the world feel wonder about Tibet for it is famous for Tibet Buddhism. I think that by taking advantage of them, China wants to make money. It doesn't have right to do that. Events like this happened several times. Chinese killed Tibetan protesters, destroyed temples and tried to own it by force. Tibetan hatred to China is so deep. How can China have Tibet as a part of it despite this situation? To have Tibet ignoring people and its culture is impossible.China must respect other nation's right of its own and gift independence to Tibet.
Chinese economy is growing rapidly so it wants to be a leading country. That's why it tried so hard to hold Olympic games. But it is caught in narrow opinion that it is best in Asia and the world. So it tries to conquer other nations like Tibet and Korea by force or changing history. To be a real leader in the world, China has to learn how to respect other nations and coexist with others peacefully.

prediction: My prediction is that inspite of Tibetan protest and boycott opinion for Beijing Olympics, there will be little change. Personally I agree with the boycott but China is so strong that other nations may be afraid of their ties' being broken with it. NGOs can make movements against China. But government leaders cannot do things against it easily.
And I think Olympic games will be held eventually. IOC is against boycott for the Beijing Olympics. There was riot in Mexico City just one day before the Mexico Opympic games, but IOC insisted having it on time. Finally it was held...
Lee Pilsu
Lee Pilsu
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

This week's video news #2... (discuss in class March 20) - Page 5 Empty Reply to inmyheart479

Post  Lee Pilsu Thu Apr 03 2008, 08:53

inmyheart479 wrote:I have chosen the third video clip titled " Champagne demands fizzing" just because nobody seems to take an interest in it, admitting that I am not a big fan of champagne though. Very Happy

No discussion of wine is complete without mention of France, the home of a variety of delicacies. Especially for the sparkling wine, champagne has become a household name in the world. As we all know, sparkling white or rose wines are made in many parts of the world but only producers in a designated region of eastern France have the right to call their product champagne.

I'm of the opinion that sales of champagne all around the world are fizzing. The existing vineyards have almost reached the limits of what they can produce without diluting the quality of the world's favourite celebratory drink. Faced with surging demand, the only thing that is certain is that more champagne vineyards are needed. A few years from now, the existing champagne vineyards will no longer be able to cope with the demand. According to the news, for the first time since the official boundaries were drawn in 1927, the land entitled to grow champagne grapes is to be significantly increased, by as much as 15 percent by 2015.

My prediction on this is that it is not just a matter of meeting insatiable demand for champagne by increasing the production. Protection of food names based on geographic criteria is a global phenomenon but champagne stands out among other products because of its international recognition and massive sales. The fact is the more that growing is extended to marginal areas, the more the quality and reputation of the whole champagne appellation is diminishing. The danger of a demand-led expansion of champagne- growing areas - even to land already mapped for champagne use - remains real. The big houses would always be able to maintain quality. But there might be a proliferation of cheaper blends, which could progressively undermine the reputation of the region. Moreover, extending the champagne vineyards could be wonderful for the area as a whole but very difficult to take for some villages and individuals if the new boundaries were drawn in such a way that their lands are narrowly excluded for no obvious reason. There will be jealousy and tension between villages, neighbours, within families. Some people are going to become very rich, that's clear, but there could also be a lot of problems which economic windfall bring to the area. That is a problem for the future. The villages included among the chosen will have every cause to celebrate while Others will see no reason to open the champagne.

Wow, I think all the M.A. students in our department have excellent English. Your writing is choke full of good expressions and words. Reading yours itself is very helpful to learn English. Also I got to know more about Champage sale in France.
Lee Pilsu
Lee Pilsu
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

This week's video news #2... (discuss in class March 20) - Page 5 Empty Re: This week's video news #2... (discuss in class March 20)

Post  Lee Pilsu Thu Apr 03 2008, 09:05

Kyeong-im wrote:Unfortunately, it's true that a lot of ice shelves have broken up into chunks in the ocean because of global warming. Over the decade, I have seen snow even in spring. (I had a picture the golden-bell trees were in full bloom when snowing. too strange!! confused ) Besides, the roar of thunder and lightning shook heaven and earth. People call these phenomena an unusual change in the weather. Global warming is one of them. As this news said, what happened if all ice melted over thousands of years? the world see level will raise and then... I don't want to imagine anymore and you maybe know the results.
Like air, people usually forget how our earth, nature, is precious. Without it, we can't live anymore. Now, it's time we have to do something. A small step can make big change. There're so manythings we can do ; instead of driving, walk when you go to somewhere near, open the windows when it's hot, don't use disposable things, don't throw trash away, and so on. bounce
Unusual changes in the weather including global warming are a kind of warning that those who live together on the earth should do something to save it. Nowadays, researchers find that non-human beings such as water, plants (I think even non-animated thigns) can feel and express their emotions like human. We are one. Everything concerns all of us. It's time to change our thought that people have a power to control the nature. To destroy nature is to destroy ourselves.
Finally, I heard that there are a lot of sources in the North Pole. Due to the huge ice shelves, people aren't able to explore possibilities to improvement. However, as we mentioned that lots of ice shelves are melting now, countries will compete with others for its sources. To prevent a struggle for power about it, it's necessary to make regulations among countries. It's the way we live together. Wink

I like your saying this,"To destroy nature is to destroy ourselves." Without nature, where and how can we survive? Without clean air, how can we breathe? Without clean water, how can we sustain our life every day? Without moderate temperature, how can we stay comfortable? Saving nature is saving humans.
Lee Pilsu
Lee Pilsu
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

This week's video news #2... (discuss in class March 20) - Page 5 Empty Your opinion is very impressive to me.

Post  Han Kyoung Jae Thu Apr 03 2008, 09:34

Nam-suk wrote:It's such a tragedy that china has cracked down on Tibet and has abused human rights since 1951. I'm of the opinion that this tragedy is such an irony because China promised they'll keep the olympic charter, which extols "human dignity" when they won the olympic bid. Therefore, this "cultural genocide" which is called by Tibetan spiritual leader Dalai Lama is obviously against their pledge.
The More interesting thing is that the international tepid response about this. Most countries concern their relationships between China over human rights or dignity. It's not only for the tibetan, anybody can be in that situation. Especially, can Korea, which has similar issue with North Korea, raise some questions or ask some help to the international community later unless they do something with other countries like being anemic to this issue..

My prediction is that most countries like USA, Japan, and etc. will show their lukewarm responses about this since they did same thing to other countries in the past and still they don't have complete different opinions from China when it comes to taking other nations by force. Even though boycotting of a few countries like France might tarnish China's great world party in a way, eventually, China might be able to do anything like what they want without formidable challenges...

Hi Nam Suk~^^
After reading your opinion, I also think that we are in the same situation with China, especially with North Korea in the political and militarily situation. Your opinion reminds me that we are still divided country. We still have some trivial or important conflicts with North Korea. Unless we solve these problems as soon as possible in a peaceful manner, some day we'll have similar problem with China. That would be a very horrible thing. I hope that we can be in a peaceful world all together. And your prediction was good, I also second that.^^
Han Kyoung Jae
Han Kyoung Jae
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

This week's video news #2... (discuss in class March 20) - Page 5 Empty Reply to Lee Pilsu

Post  Ryu Jeong A Thu Apr 03 2008, 09:39

Lee Pilsu wrote:Opinion: I'm of the opinion that what's happened and is still happening in Lhasa, Tibet should be investigated thoroughly and reported more objectively by the journalists from around the world. All I can see from the video clips regarding the violence in Lhasa is about Tibetians using violence, damaging Chinese people's property, getting arrested by the Chinese soldiers. But the news doesn't show much of the violence made by the Chinese army, which many think is editted by the Chinese government before the news is released to the world. The international communities, however, suppose that a serious case of human rights' violence is being committed in Lhasa. While the Chinese government claims that only about 10 Tibetians were killed, the Tibet's government-in-exile argues that the number reaches up to as many as 80 or 100.
Watching Tibetians being chasing after by the Chinese soldiers with a club in hand, and Tibetians women crying uncontrollably at the sence of their men being beaten and arrested by the brutal soldiers, I felt a strong sympathy towards Tibetians, who lost their sovereignty in 1950 when the Chinese Liberation Army conquered the country by powerful military forces. If you watch the movie, "Seven Years in Tibet," you can see how Chinese military destroyed the peaceful life of Tibetians, burning up the village and killing people. Similarly, Korea also experienced brutal colonial rule by Japan for 35 years in the first half of 20th century. In 1910, March 1st, Koreans across the nation stood up against Japan calling for our independence. So how can we who had gone through similar experience in the past not help but feel sympathy towards Tibetians?

Prediction: My predition is that many people around the world will boycott the China's 2008 Summer Olympics. Some countries are expressing their negative views on the recent violent, heavy-handed crack down on Tibetians by the Chinese government and considering shunning the opening ceremony of the sports event. In addition, China's diplomatic relations with other advanced nations will get worse as more political leaders are to meet up with Dalai Lama. China has already shown its utter unpleasantness when German Chancellor, Angela Merkel, invited Dalai Lama, in Germany and when Dalai Lama gave a speech at the congress of United States.

While reading your writing, I feel attracted to your opinion and persuaded. I mean the way of your unfolding idea is so well structured that it has strong power of appeal. Also, I envy your using various expressions and vocabularies. The most important thing in writing I think is the smooth development of the story using different expressions, not damaging the overall cohesion. So, i think yours is one of the best writings.
Ryu Jeong A
Ryu Jeong A
Flyer
Flyer

Back to top Go down

This week's video news #2... (discuss in class March 20) - Page 5 Empty Justice always prevails???

Post  Ji Young, Kim Thu Apr 03 2008, 09:42

Nam-suk wrote:It's such a tragedy that china has cracked down on Tibet and has abused human rights since 1951. I'm of the opinion that this tragedy is such an irony because China promised they'll keep the olympic charter, which extols "human dignity" when they won the olympic bid. Therefore, this "cultural genocide" which is called by Tibetan spiritual leader Dalai Lama is obviously against their pledge.
The More interesting thing is that the international tepid response about this. Most countries concern their relationships between China over human rights or dignity. It's not only for the tibetan, anybody can be in that situation. Especially, can Korea, which has similar issue with North Korea, raise some questions or ask some help to the international community later unless they do something with other countries like being anemic to this issue..

My prediction is that most countries like USA, Japan, and etc. will show their lukewarm responses about this since they did same thing to other countries in the past and still they don't have complete different opinions from China when it comes to taking other nations by force. Even though boycotting of a few countries like France might tarnish China's great world party in a way, eventually, China might be able to do anything like what they want without formidable challenges...

Hi, Nam Suk. I agree with you. They often say "Justice always prevails," but in reality power and self-interest seem to be the things that determine what is right when we face serious and sensitive political issues like this. Everyone knows too well that violence cannot be justified by any reasons, so China's violent crackdown in Tibet should be criticized. But every country doesn't want any kind of confrontation with China, obviously one of the most powerful countries in the world, so it seems like every nation wants to "turn a blind eye" to the issue. It must be a sad and tragic situation.
Ji Young, Kim
Ji Young, Kim
Flyer
Flyer

Back to top Go down

This week's video news #2... (discuss in class March 20) - Page 5 Empty That's a good point^^

Post  Han Kyoung Jae Thu Apr 03 2008, 09:54

Jung Yoojin wrote:Opinion :
Nowadays, there is a hot issue talking about Tibets' riots. Reporters say there are lots of people (nearly one hundred people)who have been killed by chinese government. Chinese government are forcing Tibetan riots and citizens by troops and autorities. I think it is ridiculous killing or shooting riots on the name of peace. People would say we should consider this issue seriously for Tibetans and human rights. However, I think we should think about why Tibetans are making hot issues especially nowadays. Because as this video says, all the world eyes on Beijin Olympic games that's the reason Tibetan are trying to retrieve their independence from Chinese government. If Chinese government allows its independence , there would be lots of other minority tribes in china will bring about their indepence riots as well. Then chinese government would have some trouble in political aspects. Therefore, as we are Koreans, we should think the reason why chinese government try to make tibetan riots stop even their forces and tibetans are endeavoring to be independent.

Prediction :
I do not have much background knowledge about the relationship betweeen China and Tibet. But I predict the would unions such as UN will help t solve these problems. Tibetan government want their cultural genocide to be investigated. So UN will get involved to verify this case. They will investigate the case and chinese government will on the world court to be judged. Apart from this issue, china is getting much power than before, so USA and chinese government are trying to restrain each other to make balance. geek

Hi~ Yoojin.
I absolutely agree with you.
China are still solving the problem by killing many people in the name of peace. It's a very irony thing. And this kind of happening should never occur again. Besides, China's coming party, Beijing Olympic Games will get an enormous effect because of this accident. China should be prduent and catious to suppress and solve this riot. Everyone in the world has right to live in a peaceful world. So I hope that we can hear the happy ending of this riot soon. Also I hope that we can share the idea about many things all together. See you this evening class. Very Happy
Han Kyoung Jae
Han Kyoung Jae
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

This week's video news #2... (discuss in class March 20) - Page 5 Empty Reply to Liz

Post  Ryu Jeong A Thu Apr 03 2008, 09:56

Liz wrote: I'm of the opinion that Tibetans keep protesting peacefully to recover their autonomy. This is the perfect time for them to get attention from all over the world owing to 2008 Beijing Olympic Game. However, an Olympic boycotting is not a way to solve this problem because it's against the spirit of the Olympic.
Whatever the reason is, China's reaction to this problem should be criticized for using military force. China is such a hugh country and Tibet is just a small part of it. Comparing military forces between two parts, it's just like beating one's head against the wall. Therefore if it is asserted that cultural genocide is taking place in Tibet, there should be a through investigation upon it.
My prediction is that it's going to develope like a Tienanmen Square crackdown. As you see, no powerful country but France and Germany is announcing their opinion on this problem. Because China's power is getting stronger in the world, many powerful countries pretend not to know anything about it. Using this weak point, China's authority will block down all the mass media and rely on military power to achieve peace.

After reading Pilsu's, I found your writing is short but hits the mark. While reading the story, I've come to know that I was pretty emotional to the sports event. Yes, I agree with your opppinion that sport is just sport itself. It is desirouble that any political view should not be cut into the sphere of sports. Plus, your prediction is quite with me. It's sad but it's likely to happen tha way in the end. I appreciate your pinpointing the reality in a critical way.
Ryu Jeong A
Ryu Jeong A
Flyer
Flyer

Back to top Go down

This week's video news #2... (discuss in class March 20) - Page 5 Empty Oh~I didn't know that.^^

Post  Han Kyoung Jae Thu Apr 03 2008, 10:09

jihyun wrote:drunken What do you think champagne is? At first, I thought champagne is totally different with wine and is used only as a celebratory drink. But getting more information from the news and internet, I now know that champagne is another special kind of wine and lots of people drink it as a everyday drink. Its precise name is sparkling wine because it has fizzy in there. I don't think you know we can call Champagne only from champagne in France. They say this is restricted by law. Unfortunately many conutries, especially Korea, apply that name to any champange.

According to news reports, the sale of champagne is growing rapidly all aroud the world. I'm of the opinion that korean think champagne represents their high status. As you see, in korea, not phisical laborers drink champagne often. Only one who has leeway to purchase and enjoy it does. Since the consumption of champagne is growing fast, goverment of France thinks they need to expand the production of champagne. So the goverment persuades independant producers to expand their area of the chamapagne grape crops. But producers are reluctant to do it because they think rarity value is important in champagne industry.

I'm agree with thier idea that every area should preserve their special rarity value, not expanding the producing area. The history and grapes type of champagne are important elements in deciding the value of fizz. So we should try to keep the rarity of fizz. It seems likely that more and more people enjoy champagne as everyday drink to show their leeway. queen king I'm of the opinion that as time goes by, people want to have more special and rare kind of fizz to show their wealth and leeway. Result of this, my prediction is that the producers of champagne will try to preserve their reputation, quality and rarity more and more than before.

GREAT~DAY~FOREVER!!!

hi~ jihyun^^
I didn't know that champagne is a sort of wine. I also think that champagne is completely different with the wine. That's a very good information to me. Now in Korea many people enjoy many kinds of parties and we also enjoy celebrating. So many peole want more champagne. I agree with you that the more people want and demand champagne, the worse reputation or quality it gets. And nowadays some people collect many kinds of wine and champagne in a way of investment. So if the balance of demanding and consuming is proper, the quality and reputation of champagne and wine would keep its godd status. Lastly I'm happy to share the idea with you.
Han Kyoung Jae
Han Kyoung Jae
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

This week's video news #2... (discuss in class March 20) - Page 5 Empty Re: This week's video news #2... (discuss in class March 20)

Post  Kim Eun-jung Thu Apr 03 2008, 10:11

billy wrote:Opinion: I feel really sad and pitiful about what is going on in Lhasa, the capital of former Tibet. I'm also of the opinion that the Chinese government has been doing something that should be criticized worldwide. The store owner in the video clip said she was not worried because the Chinese Liberation Army would crack down on the riots and give her peace back sooner or later. At first, I was wondering how she could say that even when her brethren was being killed in the military campaign. But, after a while I came to know she was not Tibetan, but Chinese who moved to Lhasa to make money. Just like what Japanese militarists did to our country, the Chinese government tried to move their Han(Chinese) race to the Tibetan territory trying to trample the thousand-old spiritual country and obliterate their cultures and traditions. I was really furious and enraged about the Chinese mean demeanor and felt a strong sympathy to the Tibetan women having no other option to look at their husbands and sons being chased and beaten to bleeding by the Chinese soldiers.

Prediction: My prediction is that the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games will be crucially defamed by the Chinese government's inhumane treatment of Tibetan people. Some celebrities have already voiced their concerns and put their words into action. For example, Steven Spielberg, a world-famous American movie director, is said to refuse to take the role of artistic advisor for the 2008 Beijing Olympics. Plus, the China's foreign relations with other European countries may be dampened. However, considering the merciless Chinese suppression and secretive military campaign, I don't think the Chinese government will give in to the Tibetans' demand for their independence.

Your opinion is really logical, and about the store owner in the video clip, I also wondered but I didn't catch that point you mentioned. Now I can understand the situation fully by reading your explanation. And I think your comparison between the Chinese authorities and Japanese militarists is pertinent.

Kim Eun-jung
Flyer
Flyer

Back to top Go down

This week's video news #2... (discuss in class March 20) - Page 5 Empty hi~ Pilsu ^^

Post  Han Kyoung Jae Thu Apr 03 2008, 10:22

Lee Pilsu wrote:Opinion: I'm of the opinion that what's happened and is still happening in Lhasa, Tibet should be investigated thoroughly and reported more objectively by the journalists from around the world. All I can see from the video clips regarding the violence in Lhasa is about Tibetians using violence, damaging Chinese people's property, getting arrested by the Chinese soldiers. But the news doesn't show much of the violence made by the Chinese army, which many think is editted by the Chinese government before the news is released to the world. The international communities, however, suppose that a serious case of human rights' violence is being committed in Lhasa. While the Chinese government claims that only about 10 Tibetians were killed, the Tibet's government-in-exile argues that the number reaches up to as many as 80 or 100.
Watching Tibetians being chasing after by the Chinese soldiers with a club in hand, and Tibetians women crying uncontrollably at the sence of their men being beaten and arrested by the brutal soldiers, I felt a strong sympathy towards Tibetians, who lost their sovereignty in 1950 when the Chinese Liberation Army conquered the country by powerful military forces. If you watch the movie, "Seven Years in Tibet," you can see how Chinese military destroyed the peaceful life of Tibetians, burning up the village and killing people. Similarly, Korea also experienced brutal colonial rule by Japan for 35 years in the first half of 20th century. In 1910, March 1st, Koreans across the nation stood up against Japan calling for our independence. So how can we who had gone through similar experience in the past not help but feel sympathy towards Tibetians?

Prediction: My predition is that many people around the world will boycott the China's 2008 Summer Olympics. Some countries are expressing their negative views on the recent violent, heavy-handed crack down on Tibetians by the Chinese government and considering shunning the opening ceremony of the sports event. In addition, China's diplomatic relations with other advanced nations will get worse as more political leaders are to meet up with Dalai Lama. China has already shown its utter unpleasantness when German Chancellor, Angela Merkel, invited Dalai Lama, in Germany and when Dalai Lama gave a speech at the congress of United States.

Hi~ Pilsu^^
Your writing is very good. You always do hard for everything. I second your prediction. Maybe to some degree Beijing Olympic Games will get a negative effect. China shoul have been more catious and prudent to deal with the riot. And many counties, such as USA, Japan, and UN should help China to solve this riot in a peaceful manner. At any rate, I hope to hear the happy ending story about this riot.
And Pilsu, your writing and contribution is very excellent. It's very helpful to me. Thanks~ Very Happy
Han Kyoung Jae
Han Kyoung Jae
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

This week's video news #2... (discuss in class March 20) - Page 5 Empty Totally agree with you.

Post  Ji Young, Kim Thu Apr 03 2008, 10:22

Kim Eun-jung wrote:Opinion:

I'm of the opinion that it's a really serious environmental problem. Through a number of media reports, all of us already know that average temperature of the Earth is rising annually and the melting of glacier caused by global warming leads to rising of the sea level and the submersion of certain areas. Quite a few movies have warned us of environmental catastrophe. Especially the movie The day after tommorow dealt with the direct result of global warming. It's no longer a virtual reality. In fact, several islands including Maldives and Tuvalu are already submerging. I saw a short TV program dealing with the problem of Tuvalu, a group of islands located near New Zealand. The highest sea level of the islands is under 5m. They are submerging annually and before long will disappear completely. The residents are being threatened and desperate. Some of them emigrated to New Zealand, and others old and incompetent weren't accepted. We cannot assure this kind of disaster is none of our business. It warns us to take an action to stop global warming.

Prediction:

If the voluntary effort to save the Earth is not sufficient, strong legal controls will be needed. In some parts, we are already being legally controled. We pay for the grocery bags and take a day off of a car once in a week. Someday it may be that a bill will be approved to ban on the use of fossil fuel, the main cause of global warming. Then we should get the electricity by another way. Some environmentalists already use human-powered energy through collecting electricity from pedaling a specially designed bicycle. To use electronics, all of us may be forced to have that special bike at home and pedal it to gain the electricity generated by physical labor.

Hi, Eun-jung. As you said, I also belive that strict legal controls are necessary if there is not enough voluntary participation in campaigns against global warming. Actually, in Korea we learn a lot about the potential dangers which global warming might cause, but it's very hard to find the people around me who seem to take it really serious. People's voluntary participation must be the most desirable to solve the problem, but the government's strong legal action can be very effective in making people realize that gloabal warming is really going to threaten our life and we can't delay taking action about it any more.
Ji Young, Kim
Ji Young, Kim
Flyer
Flyer

Back to top Go down

This week's video news #2... (discuss in class March 20) - Page 5 Empty Your opinion caught my eyes.^^

Post  Han Kyoung Jae Thu Apr 03 2008, 10:33

Ryu Jeong A wrote: pig pig I’m of the opinion that this kind of news is not effective at all to warn people of the severe destruction of the nature. Because it is not the first time to hear that kind of news, I think people are accustomed to hearing the serious situation that we now face. Therefore, I believe it would be better to show every possible result in detail if this situation goes on. In order to protect the crying mother earth, we must hurry to attract the people’s attention and appeal to them in a powerful way. So, if people get to know the direct and specific results of the melting glacier, say, we would have Christmas eve in Summer from 2010, and we are not able to use airconditioner in the house from 2011, they will behave differently.

Unfortunately, however, my prediction is that this miserable phenomenon will go on more rapidly than ever. We’ve already experienced the sweetness that material civilization gives. It is so sweet that it is no easy task to abandon the conveniences right now. Now, the previous underdeveloped countries also begin to enjoy their sweet fruits. I think there are few who dare to say that they would go back to less convenient life. pig pig

Hi~ Jeong A^^
Your opinion caught my eyes because of the bold pattern of the letter. ^^
And the content was also good. I can't imagine the Christmas holiday in summer. Maybe there will not be snowman and Santa clause in red furry clothes. That would be very horrible thing. Unless we should take any actions as soon as possible, maybe we live in the house under the sea and have a Christmas holiday in the water. It's not in the fiction world. If we don't take an action, before long we will face that kind of phenomenon. And I, maybe all of us don't want that happening to occur. So let's save our mother earth and make an effort to keep our environment to be a good place to live in. Let's ALL together make an effort!!!
Han Kyoung Jae
Han Kyoung Jae
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

This week's video news #2... (discuss in class March 20) - Page 5 Empty I liked your opinion about the article.

Post  Boyun Park Thu Apr 03 2008, 11:51

kim young-ah wrote:This video news reminded me of some stories that I heard in my middle school days. The stories were that our planet earth would be exterminated by Fire and Water(Flood). I think Fire means global warming, greenhouse effect by carbon dioxide, the destruction of the Ozone layer and so on. And Water means, I guess, flood, that is, glacier's melting.
I'm of the opinion that, in the end, the Fire and Water are dependent upon our behavior, i.e. to keep our environment safe and clean or not.
The environmental pollution (including air, water and soil pollution and all kinds of wastes) causes the earth to get disease and the earth has got the fever like that we have fever when we get disease. Here, the fever means global warming.
Due to global warming, the glacier is melted away. The melted water from the glacier is flown into the ocean. And the sea level is raised, finally flood!!!
So, all over the world is trying to save the earth, except USA and China. Sometimes I think if USA and China control their wastes and pollution, our earth will be O.K. soon.
But, without keeping the earth safe and clean, global warming would be accelerated and flood is coming much sooner than several thousand years.
I'm not sure the future is safe and hopeful in terms of this point. If the glacier is melted away, the sea proportion of the earth will be wider than now, and then we cannot have any land as much as now.
Or like the movie, "Tomorrow", all over the world will be covered with snow and ice. And only cold will remain. How miserable the world will be! What will our descendents become of?
For our earth and our descendents, we should do something.
The answer depends on us. Let's save the earth. cheers

Thank you. Take care, sunny

young

Your story about the earth will be exterminated by fire and water caught my eyes. I totally agree with you about it really depending on us to save the planet. I kind of had similar thinking about China and USA using up and polluting the environment. They are big countries and with many populations so it is crucial for them to work harder and try to save the earth. Of course, this is a homework for all people living on the planet.
Also I liked the way you compared fever, disease to global warming. It made me sad to think that people won't help the earth cure its fever if we just keep polluting it as now. Let's save the earth cheers
Boyun Park
Boyun Park
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

This week's video news #2... (discuss in class March 20) - Page 5 Empty Great opinion!

Post  Boyun Park Thu Apr 03 2008, 12:03

Lee yujin wrote:opinion
I'm of the opinion that...
China has been perparing to hold the biggest sport game so called "Olympic" which was actually originated for acheiving reconciliation between conflicting countries.
However, they did something opposite to this Olympic spirit. I understand the relation between china and Tibet is so complicated that we can't judge this situation just in term of the morality but China should have found better and wiser way to solve the problem except violence. Human right should be respected even in case of enemy.

Prediction
Unfortunately, I don't think that Tibet could get independence or the plan of Beijing Olympic would be canceled through this riots. International society will just hold breathing beacuse of china's great power in diplomacy and international trade.
However, it will bring a lot of change in Chinese society through Tbetians' sacrificing.
There must a lot of Chinese who realize the fault and try to fix the problem.
Although we don't know how long will it take Tibetians brave will bear fruit.

I actually didn't know much about this Tibet Lockdown until I saw the international news again couple days ago on TV. Even though I don't have much background about political issue and what's happening there, I also got the feeling that this fight won't come to an easy end without Tibetians' much sacrifices. I liked the part you brought up about Beijing Olymplic 2008. It's a shame that Chinese have to go through this before one of the biggest world peoples' fetival. I hope China realizes the origination of Olympics and has a true reconciliation with Tibet before holding it this August. Smile
Boyun Park
Boyun Park
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

This week's video news #2... (discuss in class March 20) - Page 5 Empty I agree with you!

Post  eunjin39 Thu Apr 03 2008, 12:10

Oksun wrote:Opinion : I'm of the opinion that, it's imperative for China to let people in other contries know what's happening in Lhasa "objectively". China has shut off Tibet to foreign visitors and is denying requests from foreign journalists to visit the region. Hongkong reporters have been told to leave. I also think that China is going to crack down on demonstrators "without any witnesses".After the failed uprising in 1959, when Dalai Lama, Tibetans' spiritual leader, fled to India, Tibetans have been persistently calling for independence from China. They simply want to keep their own culture and tradition, without any political causes. How humble and naive their wishes are !!
I'm of opinion that China insists on the idea that Tibet is part of China, although no country in the world reaffirms support. Suspect
Prediction : My prediction is that the violence in Lhasa will result in a deathblow to China,which will host the Olympic Games this summer,looking forward to regain its "proper"place in the world. Some human right advocates see the Olympic logo as the symbol of suppressed Tibetans. It's also likely that repression in Tibet could end in demands to boycott the Olympics. Some athletes are reported to consider it already.
The Chinese government has been investing money into Tibet, including the construction of a railroad to connect the region with major cities such as Shanghai and Beijing. Therefore, My prediction is that, as long as China think of Tibet as an area of economic, millitary, and political importance, it WON'T allow Tibet to have independence. Evil or Very Mad

After reading your opinion, I couldn't help thinking China as a greedy and stubborn country. I think you described how China is handling this Tibet situation very well. I think no guarantee of Tibet's independence from China could be one of the strong results after this situation.. So sad!
eunjin39
eunjin39
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

This week's video news #2... (discuss in class March 20) - Page 5 Empty Oh ~!!!

Post  eunjin39 Thu Apr 03 2008, 12:18

Kim Jin-Young wrote:(opinion)

Judging from hot issues of climate changes, I'm of the opinion that the life of future generations doesn't seem to be better than now. I also think that blasphemous disasters may suddenly happen sooner or later. What makes us more serious is that it is impossible to predict the size and strength of upcoming disasters. For sure, melting glacier is one of good examples. Frankly speaking, as a woman, I'm seriously concerned about my children's life in the Earth. In this reason, I'm not sure whether I will have a baby or not, if I get married. Do you think that I exclusively focus on the negative side? I don't want my children to live in the Earth which will probably be transformed to the world in the movie "The Day after Tomorrow".

(prediction)

As the article said, the rate of melting glacier is faster than expected. In Antarctica, the thickness of glacier becomes thinner and the size of it is getting smaller. My prediction is that melting antarctic glacier will have little effects on the world sea level; the glacier in Antarctica is in a different situation from that in the Arctic. In other words, antarctic glacier is floating on the sea, which can be explained in the same way that ice is floating in the cup which is full of water. If it is melted in a cup, it is unlikely to flood. However, this story is totally unsuitable for applying to the Arctic. The moment glacier is melted in the Arctic, the earth may go through many confusing changes. The reason is that hugh arctic ice lies on the land, not floating in the sea. If all of the ice undergoes changes in the Arctic, the world sea level will rise up to 60 meters higher than now. If so, areas that are 60 meters above the present sea level are likely to submerge into the sea. Moreover, many world famous or even ancient cities are located near the sea or rivers. It's also likely that the sea will become less saltier because of the influx of fresh water from glacier. Caused by low density of salt, the pattern of currents will become less active. drunken

While I was reading your opinion and prediction, I felt they were brilliant. Well, about having a baby in such a situation that we may face disaster, I actually have thought of that before. haha. So, I was surprised to find you were thinking in the same way as me!! I'm kind of scared about the future situation whenever I hear those kind of ice melting news or ozone news. And about the ice formation in Antarctica.. Wow ~ I've never thought of the ice melting in that way! :-)
eunjin39
eunjin39
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

This week's video news #2... (discuss in class March 20) - Page 5 Empty I hope we don't cry ~!! :-)

Post  eunjin39 Thu Apr 03 2008, 12:34

Han Kyoung Jae wrote:opinion -I'm of the opinion that this phenomenon is very serious thing and it may threaten our life. So we immediately have to take action to make our global climate normal temperature. We just take care of our own health. We do all the things to make our body and mind strong and sound. But we don't do anything to make our environment better place. We just use a lot of disposable products and much chemical which pollute the whole environment. Also we don't save the natural resources. As there is a saying that it is no use crying over spilt milk, we need to make the environment and the sea level normal as soon as possible.

prediction -My prediction is that if we don't take care of the entire global climate, the earth itself as well as our health and life will not be exist any more. As the melting glacier might make flood, the people living in the area which is lower than any other area and the people living in the area near the Antarctica may lose their living place. Moreover, if the phenomenon of melting glacier keeps going on, the people just living in the lower area and near the Antarctica and the people living all around the world cannot live in the earth any more. In the end the whole earth may sink down. And before long, perhaps some scientists may invent and develop very special place which many people can live in. For example, we can have a place to live under the sea or on the sea such as a submarine house and a boat house. Melting glacier faster means that the climate of the earth keeps warming faster. When it comes to just Korea, now we have distinct four seasons. But if this kind of phenomenon keeps going on, the distinctive seasons may become one weather just like summer during all the year.
So, to keep our beatiful four seasons we need to save our environment by plating lots of flowers and trees, not using many disposable products and chemical products, and saving important and valuable natural resorces. By doing these things we can prevent the climate from warming and the Antarctica glacier from melting. Also we can live peacefully in the beautiful and precious earth all together including other animals.

After reading your opinion, I felt guilty about phenomenon that we're facing in Antarctica. I think human beings are selfish and do not think about the thankfulness of our nature. Hope that something can be done to solve this problem. Also.. your prediction.. It's so scary to think about that, but feel like we will recieve what we did before to the nature.. Good opinion and prediction!!
eunjin39
eunjin39
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

This week's video news #2... (discuss in class March 20) - Page 5 Empty Thanks for a great opinion!

Post  Boyun Park Thu Apr 03 2008, 12:37

jihyun wrote:drunken What do you think champagne is? At first, I thought champagne is totally different with wine and is used only as a celebratory drink. But getting more information from the news and internet, I now know that champagne is another special kind of wine and lots of people drink it as a everyday drink. Its precise name is sparkling wine because it has fizzy in there. I don't think you know we can call Champagne only from champagne in France. They say this is restricted by law. Unfortunately many conutries, especially Korea, apply that name to any champange.

According to news reports, the sale of champagne is growing rapidly all aroud the world. I'm of the opinion that korean think champagne represents their high status. As you see, in korea, not phisical laborers drink champagne often. Only one who has leeway to purchase and enjoy it does. Since the consumption of champagne is growing fast, goverment of France thinks they need to expand the production of champagne. So the goverment persuades independant producers to expand their area of the chamapagne grape crops. But producers are reluctant to do it because they think rarity value is important in champagne industry.

I'm agree with thier idea that every area should preserve their special rarity value, not expanding the producing area. The history and grapes type of champagne are important elements in deciding the value of fizz. So we should try to keep the rarity of fizz. It seems likely that more and more people enjoy champagne as everyday drink to show their leeway. queen king I'm of the opinion that as time goes by, people want to have more special and rare kind of fizz to show their wealth and leeway. Result of this, my prediction is that the producers of champagne will try to preserve their reputation, quality and rarity more and more than before.

GREAT~DAY~FOREVER!!!

I didn't know how to enjoy champagne before and also many people thought it was a drink for special occasions or mainly for manias. However, it's common now and more people are drinking it often and having champagne or wine classes. I got to know that champagne is sparkling wine because it's fizzy and the fact about france champagne by reading your comments. Also interesting that the value or it depends on its fizz. I remember hearing some information of wine too, that its taste depend on temperature, year, its origin, and etc.

Moreover, I can surely understand producers of champagne willing to preserve their reputation, quality, and rarity since that's what really make valuable champagne and their living abundant. Maybe in the future, Korean producers will have very rare kind of fizz and export special Korean brand champagne to other countries. Very Happy
Boyun Park
Boyun Park
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

This week's video news #2... (discuss in class March 20) - Page 5 Empty Poor Tibet..

Post  eunjin39 Thu Apr 03 2008, 12:42

billy wrote:Opinion: I feel really sad and pitiful about what is going on in Lhasa, the capital of former Tibet. I'm also of the opinion that the Chinese government has been doing something that should be criticized worldwide. The store owner in the video clip said she was not worried because the Chinese Liberation Army would crack down on the riots and give her peace back sooner or later. At first, I was wondering how she could say that even when her brethren was being killed in the military campaign. But, after a while I came to know she was not Tibetan, but Chinese who moved to Lhasa to make money. Just like what Japanese militarists did to our country, the Chinese government tried to move their Han(Chinese) race to the Tibetan territory trying to trample the thousand-old spiritual country and obliterate their cultures and traditions. I was really furious and enraged about the Chinese mean demeanor and felt a strong sympathy to the Tibetan women having no other option to look at their husbands and sons being chased and beaten to bleeding by the Chinese soldiers.

Prediction: My prediction is that the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games will be crucially defamed by the Chinese government's inhumane treatment of Tibetan people. Some celebrities have already voiced their concerns and put their words into action. For example, Steven Spielberg, a world-famous American movie director, is said to refuse to take the role of artistic advisor for the 2008 Beijing Olympics. Plus, the China's foreign relations with other European countries may be dampened. However, considering the merciless Chinese suppression and secretive military campaign, I don't think the Chinese government will give in to the Tibetans' demand for their independence.

I understand why you felt furious after watching the news; you expressed it very well. I just hope that somebody could help Tibet to gain its independence. I also agree that China will get defamed by many nations or celebrities about its summer Olympic. Hope that this defaming can hlep Tibet.. Poor Tibet..
eunjin39
eunjin39
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

This week's video news #2... (discuss in class March 20) - Page 5 Empty Greedy China~!

Post  eunjin39 Thu Apr 03 2008, 12:53

Joo Un-jin wrote:opinion: I think that China must be critisized for it wants to conquer Tibet by force. It's not legitimate. Tibet is not a part of China. They have been wholly different. Tehy have been seperate nations for a long time and have nothing in common in culture, history and so on. But China wants to have Tibet for their profit. Many people in the world feel wonder about Tibet for it is famous for Tibet Buddhism. I think that by taking advantage of them, China wants to make money. It doesn't have right to do that. Events like this happened several times. Chinese killed Tibetan protesters, destroyed temples and tried to own it by force. Tibetan hatred to China is so deep. How can China have Tibet as a part of it despite this situation? To have Tibet ignoring people and its culture is impossible.China must respect other nation's right of its own and gift independence to Tibet.
Chinese economy is growing rapidly so it wants to be a leading country. That's why it tried so hard to hold Olympic games. But it is caught in narrow opinion that it is best in Asia and the world. So it tries to conquer other nations like Tibet and Korea by force or changing history. To be a real leader in the world, China has to learn how to respect other nations and coexist with others peacefully.

prediction: My prediction is that inspite of Tibetan protest and boycott opinion for Beijing Olympics, there will be little change. Personally I agree with the boycott but China is so strong that other nations may be afraid of their ties' being broken with it. NGOs can make movements against China. But government leaders cannot do things against it easily.
And I think Olympic games will be held eventually. IOC is against boycott for the Beijing Olympics. There was riot in Mexico City just one day before the Mexico Opympic games, but IOC insisted having it on time. Finally it was held...

After reading your opinion and prediciton, I felt China is a super selfish country. The good point in your writing was you approached this Tibet matter from cultural aspect. I don't understand why China is so so so stubborn and ignorant about human right. Hope that something can happen to punish China. haha.
eunjin39
eunjin39
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

This week's video news #2... (discuss in class March 20) - Page 5 Empty Human right VS. International Relationship

Post  eunjin39 Thu Apr 03 2008, 13:02

I agree with you that China is surely against Olympic charter in dealing with the situation with Tibet. I think not only Tibet but also other people living in China are under China's forceful influence. Throughout the history, I believe strong countries have been selfish, but I feel like China is the most selfish country in 21st century. Also.. I think China has a lot of potential and a key country in the future, so I think that's why many countries think about their relationship to China than human right. If every nation become one and protest against China, maybe there'll be something miraculous..
eunjin39
eunjin39
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

This week's video news #2... (discuss in class March 20) - Page 5 Empty Hope..

Post  eunjin39 Thu Apr 03 2008, 13:17

Mijin Son wrote:Opinion: I am of the opinion that Tibet should be liberated. The Chinese occupation of Tibet should be criticized by the world because it has been done by military force in violent ways. Every people have the right to control over its nation but Chinese has violated that. However, the world hasn’t taken any action yet. When it comes to Iraqi war, the world tried to play a role and took some actions to find out mass destruction weapons- they were not actually found, though. I know many countries are studying the pleasure of Chinese but in my opinion we have to do something to protect human rights and weak minorities and to keep the world peace.

Prediction: I think Chinese will do anything to keep taking Tibet- even killing a lot of Tibetans. There are a lot of minorities in China. If China makes Tibet liberated, other peoples might protest and struggle to get independent. But I think that if the more people in the world recognize this situation due to the Olympics, the better solution we will be able to find out.

After reading your opinion and prediction, I felt the world is ruled by strong and selfish nations. When the U.S. attacked Iraq and Afghanistan, I felt sad to see dying people. And also.. when I saw the pictures of Tibetan protestants, I couldn't help shedding tears for them. These days, the technology related to the Internet is well developped and the most of the world are watching what China is doing to Tibet.. then.. I just wonder how could China be so brazen-faced.. I'm just amazed at their stubbornness... Hope that better solution can come out for Tibet.
eunjin39
eunjin39
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next