English Advance!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[OP8]

2 posters

Go down

[OP8] Empty [OP8]

Post  Hyun a Ji Mon Jun 09 2008, 20:23

[OP8]

To date, most of the English language instruction carried out in public schools has been oriented around reading and grammar skills. How do you think the next generation of teachers in Korea could ensure that teaching approaches incorporate a more even balance (and integration) of skills?

Until now, most students have learned only receptive skill(reading, listening, grammar, memorizing vocabulary and idioms). It is helpful to improve students' English ability. However It is placed too much emphasis on reading and grammar skill in public school. Because receptive skill isn't present to test language ability directly. For example, grammar and vocabulary tests present how students look for underlied meaning in passage. So we have to change teaching way for students' language ability directly. It needs performance skill( speaking, reading).

First of all, the next generation of teachers should think which skill is more beneficial to students. Most Korean have learned English for many years, but some people couldn't say anything when they met foreigner. It presents we need some change and we learned only receptive skill so much. For example, Korean's reading ability is better than other second language learner absolutely. Compared to other foreigner, Korean know lots of vocabulary because of KSAT. However their speaking ability is lower than other people apparently. Because we doesn't learn speaking, writing in public school. Therefore the next generation of teachers should given more weight to performance skill. Because English is language to communicate with other people. To communicate with other people, we need speaking skill.

Secondly, TEE is beneficial to increase students' language ability. They teach English in English in U.S. and Austrailia. They are good at English. Teaching English in English is mandatory in Korea. If TEE is conducted, students learn speaking, writing naturally. We thought English as just subject not language. If students could think English is communicative tool natually, their English ability is surprisingly getting improve.

Last of all, teacher should teach pronunciation more carefully. To communicate with other people, pronunciation is important in speaking. If grammar is perfect and pronunciation is not clear, it doesn't communicate at all. Therefore next generation should think about pronunciation when they teach English in class.

In conclusion, our focus; receptive skill should be changed to performance skill. Our next generation of teachers should try to change in English learning. It must be difficult to change in Korean situation. However, change should be mandatory for better language ability.
Hyun a Ji
Hyun a Ji
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

[OP8] Empty Re: [OP8]

Post  Inkab Mon Jun 09 2008, 23:51

I agree TEE is one of the necessay ways to intergrate the rest of productive language skills.
Your suggestion on the teaching pronunciation will also effectivly be implemented if more exposure to English is given to our elementary shcool children. Nevertheless, I don't want to believe pronunciation is critical problem language learners are facing. Thinking about myself it is rather discouraging since there is no way I can sound like native speaker. So, I will focus on improving my fluency of the speech. Finger crossed. Cool
Inkab
Inkab
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

Post  Hyun a Ji Tue Jun 10 2008, 05:46

You are right! It's so sad we had a kinds of critical period. So I mean chirdern could acquire prononciate clearly at their age as you know. If it is possible, teacher should help them pronounciate cleary except for adult like us. Because their age is good at acquiring anything, Teacher should think about their period carefully. You made a good point since my essay is ambiguous. Thanks for your comment. Very Happy
Hyun a Ji
Hyun a Ji
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum