English Advance!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Let's think about it.

+2
AmyJun
Jeong,HyoJin
6 posters

Go down

Let's think about it. Empty Let's think about it.

Post  Jeong,HyoJin Fri Mar 21 2008, 18:47

What do you think of the new English policy of President Lee, Myeongbak?

I just want to know your opinion.

Today, I read an article about it.
The reasons why President Lee is going to practice this policy are
that he want pubic school to become more active and reduce private teaching costs.

I think for these reasons using English in classes is good.
BUT!
It is too sudden for many students in Korea.

If he want to change like that, he have to also change not only English education
but other education and policy of admission for university, I think.

How about you? Smile
Jeong,HyoJin
Jeong,HyoJin
Flyer
Flyer

Back to top Go down

Let's think about it. Empty well

Post  AmyJun Fri Mar 21 2008, 20:21

well..I think it is very complex problem now.
I also read an article that the president didn't mean like press reported about education policy, and he said that there were some misunderstading.
I can say it is certain that teaching or learning in English is very difficult at first. I saw a TV program which was about teaching English in English, and it showed a teacher who is teaching English in English now. She said it is possible and very fun when she teach a normal conversation, but it is difficult when she teach grammar parts. I think it goes well if we take just a good things and easy things at first, after that we can change more and more.
AmyJun
AmyJun
Flyer
Flyer

Back to top Go down

Let's think about it. Empty I think that...

Post  samuel Sat Mar 22 2008, 09:20

Hello.
I'm Samuel from the Department of Ethics Education.
Actually I have thought about the problem very seriously.
I think that the policy must permitted in only high schools.
I teach some middle students in a academy.
They are not very high leveled students, so they can not understand when I say in English.
It's a big problem. To teach something, the most important thing is understanding.
I think that high school students are much better than middle school students.
So they can understand what the teacher says.
When I was a high school student, although my school is in the countryside, we had a teacher who came from the USA.
I really enjoyed English.
So I think that the policy must permitted in only high schools.

See ya~
samuel
samuel
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

Let's think about it. Empty I am not sure he can do that..

Post  Kanghoon Jang Sun Mar 23 2008, 11:44

Regarding English education...

well, I don't think that he knows real situations in Korea.
I could be wrong about English but as one of the people that I know how to speak based on my experiences,
we should make English environment that we can see English signs everywhere and listen to English program naturally without any purposes, also we need English zones which are supposed to speak English.

We could learn English from school. how about after that? we don't have any opportunities to speak and listen to. there are no connetions among every situations. that's why those problems are really really complicated.

let's dicuss more if someone wants to do with me in English..
I love that one so much..

my writing is clues for those who are interested in this topics. Very Happy
I want to put more my passion of that but I like to meet face to face to talk about what we love!

hopefully, there are people who can share my ideas with our lovely two cup of coffee!

take care!

Kanghoon!
Kanghoon Jang
Kanghoon Jang
Superstar!
Superstar!

Back to top Go down

Let's think about it. Empty Excellent topic for discussion!

Post  Jason Renshaw Fri Mar 28 2008, 21:58

Jeong,HyoJin wrote:What do you think of the new English policy of President Lee, Myeongbak?

I just want to know your opinion.

Today, I read an article about it.
The reasons why President Lee is going to practice this policy are
that he want pubic school to become more active and reduce private teaching costs.

I think for these reasons using English in classes is good.
BUT!
It is too sudden for many students in Korea.

If he want to change like that, he have to also change not only English education
but other education and policy of admission for university, I think.

How about you? Smile

Hi Hyojin,

Sorry I have responded a little late to this, but I really want to thank you for posting such a relevant issue in this forum for this particular class. Considering that we are learning about the methodology of teaching speaking skills to Korean students, this is exactly the sort of thing that students in this class ought to be thinking and talking about! Everybody has had some fun getting in here and exchanging personal introductions, but from now on the value of your participation in this subject forum depends on your ability to raise topics like these and your willingness to make thoughtful replies to the topics other students raise as well...

I'm going to wait a little more in the hope that more of your classmates will contribute their thoughts on this important topic before I weigh in with my own. My thanks also to Kanghoon, Samuel, and AmyJun for responding so far and giving their valuable insights.

Keep up the great work,

~ Jason

Jason Renshaw
Jason Renshaw
Admin
Admin

http://onlinEnglish.net

Back to top Go down

Let's think about it. Empty Sorry for late reply...

Post  deep26 Fri Apr 04 2008, 06:48

As Jason said I think it's a good topic for discussion.
As many of forum members replied above, I think the problem of new infras for the new policy
will be the very big problem if the English immersion policy is to be launched. As President Lee said, it'll be almost impossible to solve the problem within a short term. I think that the new government hurried too much for doing their many policies to show the public visible results in short time and finally many of the authorities said "There were some misunderstandings..." like this. Neutral
I think learning L1 and learning L2 is inevitably different. I think the kids learn their mother tongue naturally because they are exposed to the language naturally w/o any pressure. If the students is made to drown into L2 with no preparation, it'll be not good for the students. I think making a classroom atmosphere which L2 is melt naturally into the class.
I hope we can share many opinions and sources about this topic all together in this forum. Let's try hard to be an excellent teacher who can survive in any hard education environment!
deep26
deep26
Flyer
Flyer

Back to top Go down

Let's think about it. Empty Re: Let's think about it.

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum