English Advance!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This week's video news #3 (discuss in class March 27)

+32
kim young-ah
Park, Saang-yung
kiera
Mijin Son
Boyun Park
Yoobin Cha
kurt
billy
Kim Hyunjin
Ryu Jeong A
Ji Young, Kim
Lee Pilsu
Mi Jin Jeong
Kim Eun-jung
inmyheart479
Nam-suk
Kang Eunmi
jangdj
eunjin39
Kyeong-im
Lee Hye Jin
bakbann
Kim Jin-Young
Jung Yoojin
Joo Un-jin
jihyun
Bae Sung-han
Han Kyoung Jae
Liz
Lee yujin
Oksun
Jason Renshaw
36 posters

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down

This week's video news #3 (discuss in class March 27) - Page 5 Empty It's very logical

Post  Jung Yoojin Wed Apr 16 2008, 22:14

Your comment seems very logical and I envy your writing ability^^
You have the right opinion about the relationship between books and digitals. I was impressed with your saying that people who are familiar with computers can be attracted by penguin books and children would be taught readings by computers I think you are right in some extent. I hadn't expect that. But if we think more critically, it is possible to change and innovate the reading teaching. If there are widespread digital penguin books readings, teachers and education system should change. If children are used to read digital books, then they feel human teachers do not need anymore. However, asyou mentioned, we can not ignore paper books value though. Through your opinion, I can predict people become accustomed to read through computers , mobilephones and so on, then they became somewhat inability to traslate or interpret their books truely meaning. I mean that people become much less intelligent than before, because if you read something through digital, you don't have time to think and review yourself. It just gose like a flash!
Lee yujin wrote:Opinion
As time has changed dramatically, the way we live has also deeply been influenced by the change in this society. Especially the advent of Internet and high-technolohgy has changed every single aspects of our lives. Reading cannot be an exception.
I'm of the opinion that Penguin Book's innovative way to tell a story using the internet will attract many young readers who are familiar with computers and high-tech gadgets. In addition, thier story is not predetermined, so readers can make up the story with their own choices, which will achieve the ulimate goal of writer -reader interaction in the text.

Prediction
Using this methodology, reading education will change. It doesn't have to be boring and hard anymore. Children will enjoy reading like on-line games and thier reading expericences will automatically record in the computer files which are easily assessed and reported. However, paper back versions connat be neglected. Teachers and parents should hit the balance between this on-line and paperback version for the best educational benefits.
Jung Yoojin
Jung Yoojin
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

This week's video news #3 (discuss in class March 27) - Page 5 Empty Definitly it's not an easy question to solve.

Post  Ji Young, Kim Wed Apr 16 2008, 22:50

As you mentioned, it must not be easy - rather looks almost impossible to end the long-standing political and military standoff between mainland China and Taiwan because of the fundamental difference in the way they view the situation. Of course these days economic interests of each country are often considered more important than anything else, but Taiwan's independence is a very sensitive political issue, so it's not easy to keep a peaceful relationship with leaving this important issue unsolved. However, in order to get the maximum economical benefits from the other, temporarily the two countries might reach an implicit agreement not to raise this toutchy subject. Thanks for your opinion.

Mijin Son wrote:The new Taiwan's president-elect is convinced to improve relationship with mainland Chiana, but it doesn't look easy. Frst of all, China thinks that it has control over Taiwan but Taiwan thinks it is a independent nation. Political tension between the two countries starts from such different points of view. But it will not change soon because their confliction has been more than 50 years. President Ma will do his best to make better relationship with mailland but it will not easy task for him.

In my prediction, our nation will be confused when it comes to deplomatic policies related with China and Taiwan. We cannot be on one's side because it is related with our nation's political and economical interests. Therefore, our politians should do their best to keep our nation's neutrality and to protect our interests.
Ji Young, Kim
Ji Young, Kim
Flyer
Flyer

Back to top Go down

This week's video news #3 (discuss in class March 27) - Page 5 Empty You have a point there.

Post  Ji Young, Kim Wed Apr 16 2008, 23:16

I haven't thought as the way you did, but obviously your opinion has a point. I just thought they make this kind of thing just to attract the public attention for some advertising purpose, but your opinion sounds persuasive that they can raise the price of their product by using this strategy. Actually looking back on my personal experiences, there were many times that after coming across ridiculously expensive cosmetic products in the department store, I felt unconsciously that the products I was using at the moment were pretty cheap, so I found myself kind of ready to buy more expensive one. After reading your opinion, I realize I'm one of those naive customers that those marketing guys might target at and take advantage of! Rolling Eyes

Liz wrote: I'm of the opinion that the chef must be genius. How could she think of making a giant dazzling egg! It catches everyone's eye who passes by and eventually promotes the sale. Although it takes a lot of time and effort to make that, she doesn't need to spend a penny to advertise her product. Even Reuters are reporting this to the people all over the world!

My prediction is that every year the more luxurious easter eggs will be presented. It's almost the same way as Victoria Secret advertises their lingerie. Every year, it presents jeweled lingerie. Actually, no one would wear it because it's too expensive and uncomfortable. However, it does help promote the sale because after they see the luxurious lingerie, their standard of reasonable price went up. Likewise, after people see giant dazzling egg, they may think that it's O.K. to spend more money on buying easter eggs that they thought before.
Ji Young, Kim
Ji Young, Kim
Flyer
Flyer

Back to top Go down

This week's video news #3 (discuss in class March 27) - Page 5 Empty Kids can find reading more fun!

Post  Ji Young, Kim Wed Apr 16 2008, 23:37

As you said, because of the advent of the new kind of reading kids might find reading more fun. These days, many students are simply more interested in visually more attractive stuffs like movies or computer games, so they often think reading is very boring and difficult. So as a teacher it's very hard to lead students to the pleasure of reading. However, thanks to the new kind of reading introduced in the news report we can have an opportunity to make reading education more fun and exciting. Thanks for your opinion.

Lee yujin wrote:Opinion
As time has changed dramatically, the way we live has also deeply been influenced by the change in this society. Especially the advent of Internet and high-technolohgy has changed every single aspects of our lives. Reading cannot be an exception.
I'm of the opinion that Penguin Book's innovative way to tell a story using the internet will attract many young readers who are familiar with computers and high-tech gadgets. In addition, thier story is not predetermined, so readers can make up the story with their own choices, which will achieve the ulimate goal of writer -reader interaction in the text.

Prediction
Using this methodology, reading education will change. It doesn't have to be boring and hard anymore. Children will enjoy reading like on-line games and thier reading expericences will automatically record in the computer files which are easily assessed and reported. However, paper back versions connat be neglected. Teachers and parents should hit the balance between this on-line and paperback version for the best educational benefits.
Ji Young, Kim
Ji Young, Kim
Flyer
Flyer

Back to top Go down

This week's video news #3 (discuss in class March 27) - Page 5 Empty Why don't you enjoy the Easter in Korea as well?

Post  Kang Eunmi Thu Apr 17 2008, 00:02

Sunnypine!!
You've already experienced what th Easter is like in America. And it was fun for you.
Then, why don't you enjoy the Easter in Korea as well?
If you want, I'm willing to give you lots of colored eggs to you every Easter in korea.
Do you want some?? Smile

sunnypine wrote:The news reminded me of the Easter present I got when I was in America. I didn't realize that I could celebrate it because I'm not a Christian, and in Korea only Christians celebrate Easter. When I was in America I was given an Easter basket by my close friend (who is now my boyfriend). In it there were a bunch of brightly colored plastic eggs filled with gummy bears and what appeared to be Chocolate eggs, which I later found out were chocolate covered strawberries in the shape of eggs. When I got the Easter basket I was surprised because I didn’t expect to receive any gifts on that day, and the egg shaped things were very creative and amazing so I was so happy. Celebrating holidays is very fun and makes us happy, so I think that the eggs from the news can be used as another creative way to help celebrate Easter.

I predict that those creative and luxurious eggs will be very popular in the western countries, and may even spread to Asia just as Valentines Day did. Once the candy manufacturers find out how profitable it can be to market the holiday in a way similar to how they made up the holidays of Pepero Day and White Day, the holiday will quickly become one that is celebrated by many in Korea.

I'm so sorry Sad I thought mine uploaded successfully, but IT WAS NOT!! No I'm so sorry.. but luckily I saved a back up copy. Thank you for understanding.
Kang Eunmi
Kang Eunmi
Flyer
Flyer

Back to top Go down

This week's video news #3 (discuss in class March 27) - Page 5 Empty Re: This week's video news #3 (discuss in class March 27)

Post  kiera Thu Apr 17 2008, 08:33

Han Kyoung Jae wrote:I'm of the opinion that every national election of the president is very important thing in every country. All the people's voting makes the country a wholly different one. According to this video article, Taiwan's new presidential candidate Ma insisted that he would have a strong relationship with the China government in a peaceful manner. I also think that the relationship with other countries is the most important matter, so in establishing diplomatic relations with other countries, they should take a cautious and prudent attitude. So candidate Ma's commitment seems to make Taiwan's people think that the economic and political condition of the country will be much better. I heard that if Ma wins the election, the Taiwan's government and regime will get changed to the peaceful regime in 8 years. So after being finished the election, I want the new regime to make the country a very peaceful place to live in.

My prediction is that the Tibet demonstration will have a negative influence on changing the Taiwan's regime. The candidate Ma insisted that he would make a good relationship with China, but many people of the country concern about China's lockdown to the Tibet demonstration. Though Ma said they would be in a good relation in terms of economic and political condition, China government performed armed suppression so Taiwan's people will worry about coming regime. If the China government doesn't slove the matter in a peaceful manner, the people of Taiwan will keep worrying about their new regime. Also they will demand Ma to govern the country in a much more difficult and peaceful way.

Hearing this news, I also think of Tibet, I mean the relationship between China and Tibet. Compared to Tibet, Taiwan has more advantages. I think it has more independant status in economy, security, and politics than Tibet.
kiera
kiera
Mover
Mover

Back to top Go down

This week's video news #3 (discuss in class March 27) - Page 5 Empty Re: This week's video news #3 (discuss in class March 27)

Post  Bae Sung-han Thu Apr 17 2008, 10:02

Oksun wrote: Exclamation Opinion:

Taiwan's presidential candidate Ma Ying-jeou won the presidential election, getting the congratulations of U.S. President George W. Bush . Bush reportedly regards Ma's win as a fresh opportunity for both sides ,China and Taiwan, to resolve their differences. Taiwan's president-elect Ma promised to work for a century of peace and prosperity. He also promised to improve relations with China, which still claims sovereignty over Taiwan. I'm of the opinion that the sovereignty issue seems to be the most touchy issue across Taiwan. There have been deep-rooted hostilities since Taiwan split from the mainland, so Ma could be a peace-maker in this situation.

Arrow Prediction:

I can predict some change of the triangular ties among those countries-the U.S.,China and Taiwan. Ma declared "unprecedented" visit to Washington before his formal taking office on May 20. It is said that the U.S. is in dilemma as to whether to accept his offer or not. It is likely that, if he gets a permission, it will be a turning point in Taiwan's diplomatic development. Taiwan will want its identity to be respected and eagerly want to confirm its diplomatic status on the world stage.

China has threatened an invasion if Taiwan declares independence and this showed good cause for building up military power in China. But now, Washington will try to provide their weapons to Taiwan and put pressure on Beijing. As president-elect Ma doesn't want Taiwan to gain independence from China "for now", Washington expects China to adjust their military power by cutting down to size.

Ma promised to work to improve trade, tourism and transport links. According to the news report, Taiwan will open a door wide to tourists from China in July. There will be a non-stop Taiwan-Beijing flight as well. By doing these, he intends to accelerate economic development and make Taiwan "the hub of finance and distribution industry" in East Asia. His economic plans have already been estimated as feasible by some economic experts .Taiwan , which was one of the "Four Dragons" in East Asia including Korea, Hongkong and Singapore in 1980s, is going through economic slump now but who knows when Taiwan will catch up with us? - Taiwan is such a dark horse!
What I would like to say to you, firstly, is that I didn't respond your opinion and prediction. You seem to be the expert in the field of politics in Asia. While reading it, I couldn't believe what you did several weeks ago. I have full image of what's going on there and what will be going on there. It looks like a rightfully well-organized one. If I had some power to give with star points, I would give you the top rank, 10 points.
And I guess you might be reading newpapers in English a lot and I envy your ability of writing about the article. Excellent job!
Bae Sung-han
Bae Sung-han
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

Post  Bae Sung-han Thu Apr 17 2008, 10:42

Lee Hye Jin wrote:opinion

I like the idea that makes average people participate in making tales with famous authors. People might feel like they are working with them and they are really respected as special readers. As time goes by, technology and trend are changing faster and faster. And according to popular trend and development of the technology, all the business sectors have to follow suit. There is no more number one position in any part these days. Everything changes so fast. Thus we all have to upgrade ourselves and all the business and markets also have to change to suit the taste of potential consumers to survive.

I also want to suggest a good idea making a full story participating as many readers as possible on line. Like we did in the class last week, all the readers who visit the web site can access and add stories or edit them. Then it could boost the popularity of the company and it could be a chance to let a creative writers out in the world.

prediction

I think the reaction about allowing the free download of all the penguin books would be explosive. These days more and more people like to buy books on the Internet. However, we can only see the contents and just a few pages of the books. We don't have much time to look through the book we want to buy throughly now. I heard people say buying books on line is much cheaper and convenient but sometimes they fail to find the exact book they want only through the names of the books. So it's natural to let potential customers of on line book stores check and preview at least one chapter. However, from the viewpoint of writers it could be breach of copyright. If we can download one chapter of all the books we can use it as our own. So some writers or association of writers might protest against the move. We'll see.
Superb!
You opinion and prediction are absolutely great.
Pengine book is now trying to sell their book on line, which is not a paper covered, but a digital book people can see through.
I don't know much about it. But I might be working. It is a brand new style of book-selling realm, so lots of people must be interested in it in the tech world. My interesting idea is the fact that in the first leading tech world Korean is the toppest but many youngsters are reading their books downloaded on their players. Before a couple of years, it was hardly to see students reading their screen walking on the roads. Many of students, however, are doing that right now. Moreover, as Hea Jin said, on-line amateur writer will be emerging through the Internet.
Cheers for your effort on doing this!
Bae Sung-han
Bae Sung-han
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

This week's video news #3 (discuss in class March 27) - Page 5 Empty Eggstravagant Easter eggs

Post  Hyo-Jin Kim Thu Apr 17 2008, 12:21

Summary: A hotel in London is selling a $10,000 giant chocolate this Easter. It took the chef 70 hours to create the masterpiece which was the equivalent of 5000 chocolate bars. The egg is a luxury gift for family. Even though not everyone is willing to spend that much fortune on the chocolate, the egg has remained popular at London department store, Selfridges.

Opinion: It looks very interesting, while it doesn't seem useful to me. The chef says that it was pretty hard work from planning how to make it to decorating details. With just looking at it, we can easily see how much effort should have been made to create a huge chocolate, which doesn't necessarily mean only labor but time, ingredients, and production cost. Also, tax will be added. It must be expensive then. Is the expensive chocolate really worthy buying? Compared with the price, it has no practical use. It will be even difficult to cut for trying even if you think it perfect for fun on that day and buy one. It is just a disposable product made by a lucrative marketing gimmick. There is no reason to purchase a chocolate with such amazingly high price. I do not understand why they made it. Making the chocolate is certainly wasting by itself. People should consider the meaning of Easter rather than trying to buy special chocolate.

prediction: Since the big chocolate has just been on sale, it seems attractive now but it won't be able to grab people's attention for long. People could be curious about the chocolate for a moment and few would buy it. In that case, it can cause a great damage for not selling well in spite of high production cost. I predict that it will be removed from the display stand soon, and families will get together and spend some time thinking about the origin of Easter without wasting money on Easter.
Hyo-Jin Kim
Hyo-Jin Kim
Flyer
Flyer

Back to top Go down

Post  choi Eun sil Thu Apr 17 2008, 12:50

Joo Un-jin wrote:Opinion: I'm of the opinion that the big and expensive Easter eggs have both sides -good and bad. They are good because they are means of celebrating Easter. They can also boost the festivity. They catch the eyes of people and let them think about Easter once more.

But there are also problems about them. First I think sometimes they cannot be real and true presents. Being expensive is not bad all the time. But some people put more importance on money than love and friendship in the presents. Moreover they can make people think more expensive and bigger one is better. We would find that people pursue money instead of thinking of the meaning of Eater. Second the poor can feel deprived in compare with the rich. All the people must share the same amount of happiness and fun on the day like Easter. But I think rich people are easier to be more satisfied and happier with their ability to buy that kind of expensive present. Poor people can blame themselves on their lack of money.

Prediction:

I predict that there are few people who spend money in the expensive eggs just because their prices are too high. People can just see them and envy the rich who afford to buy them. Even rich people might be reluctant to buy it. A Chocolate egg is not eternal. Instead they can buy jewelry and clothes.

But chefs will keep making it. They can make a lot of money if it is sold. And they want to feel achieved after several hours' hardworking and enjoy their products get attention from people.

The huge and expensive eggs looks delicious and nice.
Anyway, I agree with you.
Nowadays, The true meaning of both the presents and Easter is getting lost.
People seem to think the price of the present is more important than any other thing , thanks to material civilization.
choi Eun sil
choi Eun sil
Flyer
Flyer

Back to top Go down

This week's video news #3 (discuss in class March 27) - Page 5 Empty I absolutely agree with you!

Post  Hyo-Jin Kim Tue Apr 22 2008, 11:36

I'm of the same opinion with you that the writing project will get lots of attentions from readers and encourage more people to get closer to books without the inconvenience of going to the bookstore and buying one. There have already been several websites selling books, yet visitors are not allowed to take a look at the book at all. They can only check out the title, the author, the contents, and brief introduction of the book if lucky. That's why many people still insist on taking pains to go to the bookstore despite the cheap price and convenience in purchasing on line. It is not a very good system not for lazy people who want to do everything in one place but for busy people who have no time for that. What's important is that most people are either of them. Thus, the gadget will be pretty successful as it is likely to be perfect for a lot of people.

And, for one more thing, I don't think paper books will disappear even if the gadget are popularized in the future as you suggested. It is not too much to say that human beings have intellectually grown up through books. For they have exsisted all around us since long time ago, it won't be gone that simply. Moreover, not everybody has the same taste about anything. Some prefer reading on line, while others surely prefer reading paper books. The gadget will let us look back upon how it was developed, enjoying reading in a variety of ways.

Boyun Park wrote: Very Happy Opinion : I'm of the opinion that this new ambitious digital writing project will be a big hit and help many readers keep interests in reading books. People these days use internet a lot and are accustomed to high technology gadgets. It will also be convenient for readers to be able to download first chapters of every books in advance like we flip books and take a look at paper books in stores. Similar to games and having fun finding out what happens in next chapters in following weeks, I think they will especially attract young readers.

Very Happy Prediction : Seeing Penguin Books make a success and fortune by this project in near future, other book publishers will follow this digital march as well. They will compete more and more with higher technology and better ways to attract and engage readers. Penguin Books might ask readers about their opinions on stories and let them edit or finish books. Readers online could share ideas and there will be many many Twisty-turny stories here and there!!! However, some people might miss the past when they used to give paper books as presents or dogear the page in childhood. Maybe someday in future, paper books could be hard to find! They could become antiques!!
Hyo-Jin Kim
Hyo-Jin Kim
Flyer
Flyer

Back to top Go down

This week's video news #3 (discuss in class March 27) - Page 5 Empty Thanks Hyojin!

Post  Jason Renshaw Tue Apr 22 2008, 15:44

Hi there Hyojin,

Thanks for your great efforts. I know you've been very busy, but true to your personal promise to me, you've been in here trying to get a lot of submissions done for the forum. Not only that, your submissions are beautifully written and well thought-out. I'm really happy to see you applying yourself and meeting the goal you set for yourself.

Keep up the great work!

~Jason

Hyo-Jin Kim wrote:I'm of the same opinion with you that the writing project will get lots of attentions from readers and encourage more people to get closer to books without the inconvenience of going to the bookstore and buying one. There have already been several websites selling books, yet visitors are not allowed to take a look at the book at all. They can only check out the title, the author, the contents, and brief introduction of the book if lucky. That's why many people still insist on taking pains to go to the bookstore despite the cheap price and convenience in purchasing on line. It is not a very good system not for lazy people who want to do everything in one place but for busy people who have no time for that. What's important is that most people are either of them. Thus, the gadget will be pretty successful as it is likely to be perfect for a lot of people.

And, for one more thing, I don't think paper books will disappear even if the gadget are popularized in the future as you suggested. It is not too much to say that human beings have intellectually grown up through books. For they have exsisted all around us since long time ago, it won't be gone that simply. Moreover, not everybody has the same taste about anything. Some prefer reading on line, while others surely prefer reading paper books. The gadget will let us look back upon how it was developed, enjoying reading in a variety of ways.

Boyun Park wrote: Very Happy Opinion : I'm of the opinion that this new ambitious digital writing project will be a big hit and help many readers keep interests in reading books. People these days use internet a lot and are accustomed to high technology gadgets. It will also be convenient for readers to be able to download first chapters of every books in advance like we flip books and take a look at paper books in stores. Similar to games and having fun finding out what happens in next chapters in following weeks, I think they will especially attract young readers.

Very Happy Prediction : Seeing Penguin Books make a success and fortune by this project in near future, other book publishers will follow this digital march as well. They will compete more and more with higher technology and better ways to attract and engage readers. Penguin Books might ask readers about their opinions on stories and let them edit or finish books. Readers online could share ideas and there will be many many Twisty-turny stories here and there!!! However, some people might miss the past when they used to give paper books as presents or dogear the page in childhood. Maybe someday in future, paper books could be hard to find! They could become antiques!!
Jason Renshaw
Jason Renshaw
Admin
Admin

http://onlinEnglish.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5