English Advance!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

OP2: A teacher who inspired me

+2
Sera Jung
Youn Sujin
6 posters

Go down

OP2: A teacher who inspired me Empty OP2: A teacher who inspired me

Post  Youn Sujin Sat Mar 29 2008, 19:27

Looking back upon my school days, I had never been a hard-working student; on the other hand, when it comes to English, I found it interesting and tried to do my best in every English classes. Though I think that now I have failed to stick on those good attitude I had in my early days, I am sure that English was the only subject I loved and really enjoyed. What in the world made me so committed to English?

I was 10 years old when I first met her, my first English teacher. As there were not English classes in my elementary school, mother let me have private tuition. I don't remember her appearance exactly besides that she was a healthy-looking woman in her mid thirties. At first sight, I received an impression that she was a mild person, which was wrong. She was a strict, and enthusiastic teacher, I remember. Unfortunately, it was not possible for me to know that she had that passion in teaching me, so I was afraid of her a little.

We started from basic speaking skills such as phonics; I found it difficult to make sounds with my mouth. In fact, I was very shy of making my lips into strange shape. She might have a hard time teaching and encouraging me to learn actively. In particular, she tried to give me self-confidence. After some time, I was assured that I can pronounce each sound well, and got to think that those shapes of my lips were not weird at all. Finally I found that English was interesting and fun, thanks to her effort.

One day, I rose to a challenge. My teacher suggested me that I take part in a speech contest. It was an elimination match; the winners were to make a group to participate in a English play contest. I hesitated a lot, because I was afraid of being in front of many people. However, I could make up my mind to give it a try with the confidence she gave me. I still remember the brief chat between me and my teacher. Before the contest started, I was too nervous and said to the teacher that I hoped to do a good job; then she corrected my word. She told me to 'know' that I will do a good job. She was right; I won the second prize and chosen to be a member of the team for the English play. My team couldn't win the victory in the English play competiton; however, the experience of winning in the speech contest was so impressive to make me convinced that I could achieve something.

Some of my friends often asked me about the reason why I was good at english. It was because I liked learning it and I knew that I could do a fine job with it. And there underlies my teacher's patience and devotion to let her student confident of herself.
Youn Sujin
Youn Sujin
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

OP2: A teacher who inspired me Empty Re: OP2: A teacher who inspired me

Post  Sera Jung Sun Mar 30 2008, 13:45

I also had a teacher who made me feel interested in English, like your great teacher. At the begining of learning ,the influence of teacher is so important , I think. Thinking of our experiences from the past , we also need to try to be inspired teachers to students.
Sera Jung
Sera Jung
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

Post  Inkab Sun Mar 30 2008, 18:07

I like your picture very much. You look so fashionable and especially the angle for taking potoes seems so perfect!

Your story reminds me of those I have taught as a private tutor. Well, I doubt that I was that much enthusiastic and organized teacher for them. In fact, I seem to believe real heart to heart relationship outside the public school setting might be possible, since there involves exact fees from students' parents for my teaching. I was a little bit suprised several of classmates indicate private tutors as their most inspiring ones.

Oh, I have one student that still contacts me over 8 years. I met him when he was a middle school student, and now he is about to graduate from the university. He makes me so happy.The thing is that he makes me so happy whenever he call me and ask me to treat him. Why don't you call your teacher and let her share this happiness with me. I love you
Inkab
Inkab
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

Post  Jueun, Jung Tue Apr 01 2008, 17:21

Hi Sujin,

I didn't know you got to have passion for English from your early days.
Well, I think there are many people who have come to love English due to their English teachers.
You are one of them! You're so lucky girl to have such a great teacher from the beginning of learning English.
For me English itself is an interesting language. It broaden my view and is excellent way to know many things outside of Korea. However, I assumed that I would have had different result if I had met a nice teacher just like yours.

p.s: I love your photo!

-Jueun
Jueun, Jung
Jueun, Jung
Mover
Mover

Back to top Go down

OP2: A teacher who inspired me Empty Sujin's feedback

Post  Jason Renshaw Fri Apr 04 2008, 05:53

Hi Sujin,

Thanks for putting a response together for this topic. It was pleasant and motivating to read. I think you've managed to create a very nice testimonial to the teacher who inspired you. The teacher is described very effectively and the reasons for your inspiration are well explained and exemplified. Well done!

I think the most powerful point you put forward is the role of the teacher in building a real sense of self-belief in learners. It is one of those 'indirect' teaching skills that can't be seen on paper or on a lesson plan, but is so very important for language learning.

Below you'll see a couple of points relevant to language development:

Youn Sujin wrote:Looking back upon my school days, I had never been a hard-working student; on the other hand, when it comes to English, I found it interesting and tried to do my best in every English classes. Question Though I think that now I have failed to stick on those good attitude I had in my early days, I am sure that English was the only subject I loved and really enjoyed. What in the world made me so committed to English?

I was 10 years old when I first met her, my first English teacher. Question As there were not English classes in my elementary school, mother let me have private tuition. I don't remember her appearance exactly besides that she was a healthy-looking woman in her mid thirties. At first sight, I received an impression that she was a mild person, which was wrong. She was a strict, and enthusiastic teacher, I remember. Unfortunately, it was not possible for me to know that she had that passion in teaching me, so I was afraid of her a little.

Question We started from basic speaking skills such as phonics; I found it difficult to make sounds with my mouth. In fact, I was very shy of making my lips into strange shape. She might have a hard time teaching and encouraging me to learn actively. In particular, she tried to give me self-confidence. After some time, I was assured that I can pronounce each sound well, and got to think that those shapes of my lips were not weird at all. Finally I found that English was interesting and fun, thanks to her effort.

One day, I rose to a challenge. My teacher suggested me that I take part in a speech contest. It was an elimination match; the winners were to make a group to participate in a English play contest. I hesitated a lot, because I was afraid of being in front of many people. However, I could make up my mind to give it a try with the confidence she gave me. I still remember the brief chat between me and my teacher. Before the contest started, I was too nervous and said to the teacher that I hoped to do a good job; then she corrected my word. She told me to 'know' that I will do a good job. She was right; I won the second prize and chosen to be a member of the team for the English play. My team couldn't win the victory in the English play competiton; however, the experience of winning in the speech contest was so impressive to make me convinced that I could achieve something.

Some of my friends often asked me about the reason why I was good at english. It was because I liked learning it and I knew that I could do a fine job with it. And there underlies my teacher's patience and devotion to let her student confident of herself.

Cool Although I think that now I may have failed to stick with the good attitude I had in my earlier days, I am sure that English was the only subject I loved and really enjoyed.

Cool On account of the fact that there were no English classes offered in my elementary school, my mother let me have private language tuition.

Cool We started with basic speaking skills such as phonics, because I found it difficult to make sounds in English with my mouth.

It sounds like you have really benefited from the relationship with a talented teacher with good methodology and motivational skills. I'm sure if she could see what you can do with English now, she would be bursting with pride!

Take care and see you in class,

~ Jason

Jason Renshaw
Jason Renshaw
Admin
Admin

http://onlinEnglish.net

Back to top Go down

OP2: A teacher who inspired me Empty Re: [OP2]

Post  Jongwoo Wed Jun 04 2008, 21:02

It was a pleasant experience to read how your opinion about the teacher was changed, which eventually transformed your passive attitude into a positive one. What a good turning point you had!
Jongwoo
Jongwoo
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down