English Advance!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

OP4: Ways for improving English education in your country

3 posters

Go down

OP4: Ways for improving English education in your country Empty OP4: Ways for improving English education in your country

Post  Younghee choi Fri Apr 04 2008, 19:47

OP4: Ways for improving English education in your country

English education has become a big issue when the new government showed its adamant determination on reform of English education, pointing out the lack of people’s communication skills. Among a number of key things to be considered to improve English education in Korea, I’d like to support the suggestion that teachers should be less burdened with weighty administrative duties for the following reasons.

First of all, over workload laden on the teachers’ shoulders can deprive them of their time to develop teaching materials. Teachers usually teach 4 or 5 classes a day out of 8 hours of standard working time. Based on a word from my friend who is a teacher in middle school, it is really hard for teachers to spare extra time for material development. She said that during the free time with no class she was generally very busy with doing administrative work such as drawing up official documents to be handed in every week. She added that since she didn't have time for preparing classes she sometimes had to take things home in order to develop new materials, which sacrifices her private time, resulting in stressfulness and demotivation.

Besides, too many administrative duties cause teachers to consume their energy psychologically and physically. Taking a surprising case in most high school settings in Korea, teachers are supposed to come to work around 7 a.m. and go home after 10 p.m. These long working hours mostly comprise of administrative works, counseling, supervising night self-study classes in addition to 4-5 actual teaching hours. Most high school teachers are complaining about this absurd overload. They are suffering from lack of sleep and high level of stress. Plus, the news that a math school teacher died from overwork all of a sudden the other day on the way home aroused our attention to the current teachers’ poor working condition.

To conclude, teachers’ overload on administrative duties has a great negative impact on their quality teaching as well as their health problems. In order to solve those problems, it is extremely necessary to hire more workers who will be in charge of administrative work and thus help teachers focus on their quality teaching.

Last edited by Younghee choi on Sat Apr 05 2008, 21:38; edited 1 time in total
Younghee choi
Younghee choi
Superstar!
Superstar!

Back to top Go down

OP4: Ways for improving English education in your country Empty I agree with you.

Post  Hyun a Ji Sat Apr 05 2008, 14:39

One of my friends passed teachers entrance exam this year. She is teacher in new middle school. When she studied, she imagine exciting life. But she is really upset because of lots of administrative works. She is too tired to prepare class. Thus she always felt sorry for their students. Neutral
Hyun a Ji
Hyun a Ji
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

OP4: Ways for improving English education in your country Empty Re: OP4: Ways for improving English education in your country

Post  Kanghoon Jang Sat Apr 05 2008, 18:37

When people start to work in their own field, they would overload what they have to do. Of course, if school could hire teachers more, there would be no problems. However, I think it is not going to happen in the future because of labor cost. Our society always wants us to sacrifice without any trophies in Korea. I hope that our new president can resolve this problems as time goes by.

Best wishes,

Kanghoon
Kanghoon Jang
Kanghoon Jang
Superstar!
Superstar!

Back to top Go down

OP4: Ways for improving English education in your country Empty Re: OP4: Ways for improving English education in your country

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down