English Advance!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

OP2: A Teacher Who Inspired Me

+2
Younghee choi
Young
6 posters

Go down

OP2: A Teacher Who Inspired Me Empty OP2: A Teacher Who Inspired Me

Post  Young Fri Mar 28 2008, 15:24

Unforgettable Teacher

Teachers don't only teach. In addition to teaching, they give inspiration, encouragement, and dream to learners. Sometimes, teachers make more impact on people than any others. I have one teacher who has drawn me to have interests in English.

I met her at a private academy before I entered a middle school. She was my first English teacher. I can't remember her first impression, but I remember that her eyes were big and she had square-shaped jaws. She was organized and had a lot of knowledge. As I didn't meet teachers who I could respect or had inspired me until I graduated from an elementary school, she was a special teacher to me. Unlike other teachers, she showed me that a teacher could give personal care and encouragement to the student. She used to say to me and my classmates that we were smart. I guess that her compliment led my class to become the class filled with earnestness. There is no doubt every student in that class admired her as a teacher.

Also, she gave us more things that an English teacher could give as well as English knowledge. She had a special ability to attract people- she was a good story teller. I and my classmates really enjoyed the stories that she told us such as novels, trip stories, and her love stories. I still remember the story of The Scarlet Letter that was told by her. Thanks to her, I came to be interested in classic novels. Moreover, when she needed to scold the class, she gave a good scolding. Good scolding needs patience and control. Therefore, although I and my classmates were scolded, we got some lesson from her and we refreshed ourselves concentrating on studying again.

In addition to the reasons why other classmates liked her, I have a good memory about her. She used to teach us English pop songs in the class. I loved it. One day, she gave me a recorded tape with several pop songs that she made for me. I was touched at her personal care. I still have that tape and 'Graduation Tears' which is in that tape is my favorite English song.

She passed the teacher's exam as she was qualified enough, and she had to leave us. Surprisingly and by accident, however, I saw her name one student's English book who I was tutoring after over 10 years since I saw her last. I came to know she was teaching at the middle school near my house. More interesting fact was that the student who I was tutoring explained her as what I had felt when I was a middle school student. At that time, I was proud that I had been taught by her.

I phoned her and had a small talk with her, but I am ashamed that I didn't go meet her with an excuse of a hectic life. Definitely, I will visit her before this coming Teacher's Day. For reunion, I found pictures which were taken with her from my old album. I imagine that I will be talking with her about her who was over 15 years ago and how I was inspired by her. Plus, I promise to myself I will tell her I want to be an English teacher like her.
Young
Young
Superstar!
Superstar!

Back to top Go down

OP2: A Teacher Who Inspired Me Empty Re: OP2: A Teacher Who Inspired Me

Post  Younghee choi Fri Mar 28 2008, 20:55

Your story is very touching.
It is good to hear that you found your respectful teacher around you.
I am sure you'll also have all the amazing attributes that your teacher once represented to you if you hone yourself modeling after her.
Younghee choi
Younghee choi
Superstar!
Superstar!

Back to top Go down

Post  Inkab Fri Mar 28 2008, 21:27

I got a lesson from your essay that dedication and warm heart could make a big impression on the students whether it is in a private academy or a public school setting. Usually the teaching outside the public education boundary seldom focuses on moral education, but only academic achievement of the students for the better score. I think you are lucky enough to have that kind of teacher in a not-feasible situation.

Now I ask myself why I wouldn't be able to be such a generous, hard working teacher like yours.
Inkab
Inkab
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

OP2: A Teacher Who Inspired Me Empty Heeyoung's feedback

Post  Jason Renshaw Sun Mar 30 2008, 09:30

Hi Heeyoung,

Thanks so much for posting your great essay in response to this topic. I was really impressed by what you describe, and found myself in strong agreement with the points you make. This teacher sounds like a true talent to the profession of teaching. I'm glad to see you found a later connection with your teacher, and I hope you can maintain it.

Teachers suffer a lot of stress and exhaustion in their day-to-day jobs, and rarely get the thanks or recognition they deserve. The one thing that makes a teacher truly overjoyed is getting correspondence from the pupils they have taught in the past, finding out where they have gone in life. I recently heard from two students of mine in Korea I had taught during their middle school years. One had just received offers from New York University and the University of Southern California, and the other had just been admitted to the University of Pennsylvania. Another student from the same age bracket contacted me a while ago to say both KAIST and SNU had offered him a place. Hearing about their academic achievement was so satisfying from the perspective of knowing I had done my job and prepared them well, but hearing from these kids-turned-adults who had become such well-spoken and lovely members of society - that is true joy for a teacher.

I think your essay is very well-written, with a good hook at the start and well composed paragraphs throughout. The content is excellent and quite gripping for a reader. There is very little doubt in the reader's mind at the end that you have identified a truly special teacher, and it is heart-warming to read your personal feelings and memories in relation to her.

I would have liked to see more clearly identified reasons why you personally found the teacher so inspiring, with these leading the direction of more of your paragraphs. However, that is a minor point, and doesn't really detract from what is overall a very strong piece of writing that is very appropriate to the topic. Well done!

Below you'll see some pointers relative to language development:

Young wrote:Unforgettable Teacher

Teachers don't only teach. In addition to teaching, they give inspiration, encouragement, and dream to learners. Sometimes, teachers make more impact on people than any others. Question I have one teacher who has drawn me to have interests in English.

I met her at a private academy before I entered a middle school. She was my first English teacher. Question I can't remember her first impression, but I remember that her eyes were big and she had square-shaped jaws. She was organized and had a lot of knowledge. As I didn't meet teachers who I could respect or had inspired me until I graduated from an elementary school, she was a special teacher to me. Unlike other teachers, she showed me that a teacher could give personal care and encouragement to the student. She used to say to me and my classmates that we were smart. I guess that her compliment led my class to become the class filled with earnestness. There is no doubt every student in that class admired her as a teacher.

Question Also, she gave us more things that an English teacher could give as well as English knowledge. She had a special ability to attract people- she was a good story teller. I and my classmates really enjoyed the stories that she told us such as novels, trip stories, and her love stories. I still remember the story of The Scarlet Letter that was told by her. Thanks to her, I came to be interested in classic novels. Moreover, when she needed to scold the class, she gave a good scolding. Good scolding needs patience and control. Therefore, although I and my classmates were scolded, we got some lesson from her and we refreshed ourselves concentrating on studying again.

In addition to the reasons why other classmates liked her, I have a good memory about her. She used to teach us English pop songs in the class. I loved it. One day, she gave me a recorded tape with several pop songs that she made for me. I was touched at her personal care. I still have that tape and 'Graduation Tears' which is in that tape is my favorite English song.

She passed the teacher's exam as she was qualified enough, and she had to leave us. Surprisingly and by accident, however, I saw her name one student's English book who I was tutoring after over 10 years since I saw her last. I came to know she was teaching at the middle school near my house. More interesting fact was that the student who I was tutoring explained her as what I had felt when I was a middle school student. At that time, I was proud that I had been taught by her.

I phoned her and had a small talk with her, but I am ashamed that I didn't go meet her with an excuse of a hectic life. Definitely, I will visit her before this coming Teacher's Day. For reunion, I found pictures which were taken with her from my old album. I imagine that I will be talking with her about her who was over 15 years ago and how I was inspired by her. Plus, I promise to myself I will tell her I want to be an English teacher like her.

Cool I can identify one teacher who drew me particularly to have a strong interest in English [Note: past tense is more appropriate here than present perfect, because the teacher isn't exactly currently drawing your interest - this happened and finished in the past]

Cool I can't precisely recall my first impression of her, but I remember that her eyes were big and she had a square-shaped jaw

Cool Also, she gave us more things that an English teacher could give than just knowledge of English itself

Great effort, Heeyoung - your writing development is coming along very strongly indeed.

Best wishes,

~ Jason

Jason Renshaw
Jason Renshaw
Admin
Admin

http://onlinEnglish.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Jueun, Jung Mon Mar 31 2008, 07:42

I enjoyed reading your essay. It is always fun to share your good memories.
I am sure that the people you have met through your life made who you are.
Hopefully, your teacher and you can have a chance of reunion soon.
I also have unforgettable teacher and I'd like to see her again and say "thank you" to her.
Anyway, you're a very lucky lady!

-Jueun
Jueun, Jung
Jueun, Jung
Mover
Mover

Back to top Go down

OP2: A Teacher Who Inspired Me Empty Re:OP2

Post  Jongwoo Wed Jun 04 2008, 20:48

"Teachers don't only teach." A short sentence it may be, the message it conveys is powerful and long-reverberating. Yes, you're right. Teachers do not just deliver information to students. They should make constant efforts to establish close relationship with the students, and lead them to behave properly. I really enjoyed reading your essay: it is so vivid that I felt as if I were in your classroom 15 years ago.
Jongwoo
Jongwoo
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down