English Advance!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

(OP3) Describe the kinds of skills required to become good at speaking in English.

5 posters

Go down

(OP3) Describe the kinds of skills required to become good at speaking in English. Empty (OP3) Describe the kinds of skills required to become good at speaking in English.

Post  Ji hye Lim Wed Apr 02 2008, 13:06

We need various skill to become good at speaking English. Among those various skill, I think that vocabulary, listening and knowledge about pattern are most important.

First, the more we know vocabulary, the more we can speak various subjects. Although we can't make sentence exactly, we can deliver at least meaning. However, If we don't know word, we can't speak at all. So knowledge about vocabulary is the most basic skill to speak English.

Second, Improve listening skill is important. Except for public speech, Speaking always go together with listening. If we can't understand other's speech, We can't continue conversation.

Last but not least, We must have knowledge about pattern. To improve speaking, We must memorize some basic patterns. This way is very useful especially for beginner. If we memorize some pattern, we can speak many things just by change word.

Becoming a good speaker is very hard. However, If we remember these three skills and try and try, Someday we can be a good English speaker.
Ji hye Lim
Ji hye Lim
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

(OP3) Describe the kinds of skills required to become good at speaking in English. Empty Re: (OP3) Describe the kinds of skills required to become good at speaking in English.

Post  Younghee choi Wed Apr 02 2008, 21:20

I think Korean college students have a large vocabulary but they still have a hard time expressing themselves to their satisfaction. This is because we only memorize vocabulary and don't know when and how to use it.
In addition to your opinion, I'd like to add one more suggestion in learning vocabulary. It is important to learn vocabulary in a meaningful context so that we can make use of it in a proper situation.
Younghee choi
Younghee choi
Superstar!
Superstar!

Back to top Go down

(OP3) Describe the kinds of skills required to become good at speaking in English. Empty You are right!

Post  Ji hye Lim Thu Apr 03 2008, 09:43

I agree with your opinion. It seems that Memorizing vocabulary in a meaningful contex is best way to learn it.
Ji hye Lim
Ji hye Lim
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

(OP3) Describe the kinds of skills required to become good at speaking in English. Empty Listening makes me hard.

Post  HyejinJeon Thu Apr 03 2008, 21:17

When I listen to what others say, I'm not sure that I understand well or not.
What is worse if I can't confirm my understanding, it's terrible! Listening makes me frustrated since a middle school. As you know, there are 4 listening test a year in school. I think we can speak English as much as what we can listen to and understand.
HyejinJeon
HyejinJeon
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

(OP3) Describe the kinds of skills required to become good at speaking in English. Empty Re: (OP3) Describe the kinds of skills required to become good at speaking in English.

Post  Kanghoon Jang Fri Apr 04 2008, 09:17

We need spaces to use our English in campus or anywhere in Korea. As Korean who have studied English more than for 10 years in Korea, we hardly can speak English and have xenophobia because of weird education system. Our system is focusing on only exams instead of pragmatism to speak up spontaneously. That is why we can't speak English more than we expect.

However, we have to go through in difficulty, right? This is my suggestion to speak.
First of all, Try to memorize some sentences that you are interested in.
Secondly, say loudly as much as you can in front of mirrors. ( I hope you do at least 100 times.)
lastly, try to make conversations using those sentences even words.

Based on what I do like that, you can speak whatever you want to. Surprised
Kanghoon Jang
Kanghoon Jang
Superstar!
Superstar!

Back to top Go down

Post  Eunsil Mon Apr 07 2008, 17:17

According to my experience, when I went to the U.S at the first time, I lived in dorm.
I gradually got to talk with my roommate, and floormates.

When I just talk with my roommate, i didn't really have problem because when i faced new vocas i could ask her what that means. However, as i talked with a bunch of people such as 5 or 7, I had problen.
First they speak very fast, second, I can't ask to say those again, or I can't ask what the new vocas mean. I don't understand, then i don't speak.

So, I think listening is very important when somebody wants to talk something.
Because it's communication, not just one-way talking.
Eunsil
Eunsil
Mover
Mover

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down