English Advance!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

OP3:What are the different stages of English proficiency and how might you describe each?

3 posters

Go down

OP3:What are the different stages of English proficiency and how might you describe each? Empty OP3:What are the different stages of English proficiency and how might you describe each?

Post  itchyfeet51 Thu Apr 03 2008, 15:35

When the teacher teach their students it is important to know the students' level exactly.
After figuring out student's ability teacher can make a proper teaching plan and teach them effectively. General stages of English proficiency are beginners, intermediate, advanced.

The first stage of English proficiency is beginners. The students who are in this level don't know English at all. At this level, success is easy to see, and easy for the teacher to arrange the class. In the other hand, students can easily get hurt their language ego thus some of them may lose interest in English and refuse to learn English more. Therefore teacher should pay attention to build up students’ confidents by giving more positive reinforcement through a fun and attractive class.

The second stage of English proficiency is intermediate. In this level students have a basic competence in speaking and writing and ability to understand straightforward listening and reading. Therefore compared with beginners’ level, success is not so easy to find out here. Intermediate students have already achieved a lot. Sometimes they may feel that they don’t improve that much or that fast anymore. This is called as ‘the plateau effect’, and the teacher has to vigorous attempts to show students what they still need to learn without being discouraging.

The third stage of English proficiency is advanced. This is the last stage which learners reach at.
Advanced students are those who se level of English is competent, allowing them to read complicated fact and fiction and communicate fluently with native speakers. They know lots of English but still they have the danger of the plateau effect mentioned above so the teacher need to let students see what still has to be done by providing good clear evidence of progress.

In conclusion, I have shown the different stages of English proficiency and explained at each stage what the teacher has to do for students. As you can see the role of teachers is crucial so we, prospective teacher need to know those stages of English proficiency and try to teach students in different level in proper way.

Last edited by itchyfeet51 on Thu Apr 03 2008, 15:39; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : When I upload this OP some part of conclusion was shown in italic.)
itchyfeet51
itchyfeet51
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

OP3:What are the different stages of English proficiency and how might you describe each? Empty Mi-sun's feedback

Post  Jason Renshaw Wed Apr 09 2008, 23:40

Hi Mi-sun (I'm not sure if I've spelled it correctly, because there is no signature letting us know your actual name...),

Thanks for submitting your essay for this essay topic. I think it is a great effort, and showcases the essentials for a basic categorization essay extremely well. You have a good lead-in to the topic in the introduction (I like that you immediately present a simple rationale for considering student proficiency level) and a clear statement documenting your breakdown of the general topic into logical categories. The body paragraphs are well organized, well introduced through clear topic sentences, and well explained with direct but very logical detail.

One of the things I really like about this writing is that it is uncomplicated and to the point. You haven't tried to go overboard with it. Some students get so fixated with 'showing all their English' that they forget to address the topic as directly and cohesively as possible. The purpose is to present the topic in clear sections, and I think a reader of your essay would go away with a clear understanding of that. The result is a very concise and succinct piece of writing, and on that count you are to be congratulated!

Below I've made some recommendations for language development:

itchyfeet51 wrote: Question When the teacher teach their students it is important to know the students' level exactly. After figuring out student's ability teacher can make a proper teaching plan and teach them effectively. General stages of English proficiency are beginners, intermediate, advanced.

The first stage of English proficiency is beginners. The students who are in this level don't know English at all. At this level, success is easy to see, and easy for the teacher to arrange the class. Question In the other hand, students can easily get hurt their language ego thus some of them may lose interest in English and refuse to learn English more. Therefore teacher should pay attention to build up students’ confidents by giving more positive reinforcement through a fun and attractive class.

The second stage of English proficiency is intermediate. In this level students have a basic competence in speaking and writing and ability to understand straightforward listening and reading. Question Therefore compared with beginners’ level, success is not so easy to find out here. Intermediate students have already achieved a lot. Sometimes they may feel that they don’t improve that much or that fast anymore. This is called as ‘the plateau effect’, and the teacher has to vigorous attempts to show students what they still need to learn without being discouraging.

The third stage of English proficiency is advanced. This is the last stage which learners reach at.
Advanced students are those who se level of English is competent, allowing them to read complicated fact and fiction and communicate fluently with native speakers. They know lots of English but still they have the danger of the plateau effect mentioned above so the teacher need to let students see what still has to be done by providing good clear evidence of progress.

In conclusion, I have shown the different stages of English proficiency and explained at each stage what the teacher has to do for students. As you can see the role of teachers is crucial so we, prospective teacher need to know those stages of English proficiency and try to teach students in different level in proper way.

Cool When teachers go about the business of developing their students, it is important to know the students' level exactly.

Cool On the other hand, students can have a sensitive language ego and some of them may lose interest in English and refuse (OR be reluctant) to learn any more of it.

Cool Therefore, compared with beginner level, success is not always so easy to accomplish during this stage.

All in all, a very good effort and it's great to see your progress in academic writing. Keep up the good work!

Best wishes,

~ Jason

Jason Renshaw
Jason Renshaw
Admin
Admin

http://onlinEnglish.net

Back to top Go down

OP3:What are the different stages of English proficiency and how might you describe each? Empty Re: OP3:What are the different stages of English proficiency and how might you describe each?

Post  Younghee choi Sun Apr 13 2008, 19:40

Your writing is very clear and to the point, which makes it easy to read.
You also mentioned the Plateau effect, which I still feel at the moment.
To be honest, I don't feel any progress in English especially in terms of speaking and writing.
It might be necessary to let the students know about the effect so that they don't give up since it is just a preparation stage to leap into the next step.
Younghee choi
Younghee choi
Superstar!
Superstar!

Back to top Go down

OP3:What are the different stages of English proficiency and how might you describe each? Empty Re: OP3:What are the different stages of English proficiency and how might you describe each?

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down