English Advance!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[OP]What are the different stages of English proficiency and how might you describe each?

+2
HyejinJeon
Chae Nuri
6 posters

Go down

[OP]What are the different stages of English proficiency and how might you describe each? Empty [OP]What are the different stages of English proficiency and how might you describe each?

Post  Chae Nuri Thu Apr 03 2008, 18:57

The learners who are learning foreign language show different stages of English proficiency. It depends on the period of studying, attention, interest and so on. The typical stages of difference are following: beginner, intermediate and advanced.

First is beginner stage. In this stage, learners already have understood simple sentences of English and also can make simple ones. However, they are not good at completing full sentences when speak and there are many pauses. We can find so much learners avoidances, especially speaking, they sometimes give up even if they cannot finish their speech yet. In addition grammar errors are appeared indicating they are not accustomed with structure of sentence.

Intermediate level learners, secondly, can make more meaningful sentences. The meaningful sentence means that they are able to express their opinion about certain topic that is not complicated but simple and familiar. They can command task-based language, using appropriate words for the situation. Learners cannot make long paragraphs, however, not knowing completely structures.

Last is advanced class. They almost know so many vocabulary. Advanced learner can develop their opinion about relatively complicated and deep such as social or political issues using condition clauses. They don't have any pauses when speaking and need not avoidance. In writing, their composition has almost complete cohesions. They can surely deal with task-based situation.

Through these stages of English proficiency, language learners can recognize where they are in now. These stages can be the criteria by which students decide way to progress. To reach higher level, learners should spend time and efforts for language acquisition.

Chae Nuri
Starter
Starter

Back to top Go down

[OP]What are the different stages of English proficiency and how might you describe each? Empty To be advanced, do my best!

Post  HyejinJeon Thu Apr 03 2008, 21:13

I'm very weak at vocabulary. It is the most difficult to memorize and use it.
Ah, do you know "plateau effect"? It means that intermediate learners can't be improved as much as beginner. It is a distinctive feature between beginner and intermediate. .We must not stay in plateau! Shocked
HyejinJeon
HyejinJeon
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

[OP]What are the different stages of English proficiency and how might you describe each? Empty Re: [OP]What are the different stages of English proficiency and how might you describe each?

Post  Younghee choi Sat Apr 05 2008, 22:10

You made a good classification of different stages of English learners!
Actually, it is hard to move forward to an advanced stage by one effort since mastering a language is like the course of marathon. We have to advance step by step.
Even if we reached the advanced level, it is significant to note that we should keep brushing up on English without fail in order not to fall behind since we will gradually forget if we don't use it.
Younghee choi
Younghee choi
Superstar!
Superstar!

Back to top Go down

[OP]What are the different stages of English proficiency and how might you describe each? Empty Re: [OP]What are the different stages of English proficiency and how might you describe each?

Post  Kanghoon Jang Sun Apr 06 2008, 20:19

Sometimes, I am really confused which level we would be in. We can understand English conversationally but we can't speak as much as we can listen to. Then how would we classify ourself in one of the levels? It would be hard to do that,right? Even that this would be the problems of our English educations.

Based on my experiences, we can speak English if we make efforts to speak up. I have great suggetions memorizing one sentence everyday. If you continue to do that for at least 6 months, you would speak English pretty well. However, people usually give up. That is problems.

Best wishes,

Kanghoon
Kanghoon Jang
Kanghoon Jang
Superstar!
Superstar!

Back to top Go down

[OP]What are the different stages of English proficiency and how might you describe each? Empty Very good point, Kanghoon!

Post  Jason Renshaw Sun Apr 06 2008, 20:29

Kanghoon Jang wrote:Sometimes, I am really confused which level we would be in. We can understand English conversationally but we can't speak as much as we can listen to. Then how would we classify ourself in one of the levels? It would be hard to do that,right? Even that this would be the problems of our English educations.

Based on my experiences, we can speak English if we make efforts to speak up. I have great suggetions memorizing one sentence everyday. If you continue to do that for at least 6 months, you would speak English pretty well. However, people usually give up. That is problems.

Best wishes,

Kanghoon

Hi Kanghoon,

I am pleased to see your comments here on two different fronts...

On the one hand, what you say is completely true. Korean learners, like many others in North East Asia, have what might be termed different proficiency levels in particular skill strands (for example, high in reading but low in speaking). How does that all add up to a general proficiency level? Well, things like the TOEFL iBT, IELTS and the Common European Framework of proficiency levels are very good at adding up everything to come up with a balanced assessment. While the learner may be outstanding (advanced) at listening and speaking, the low scores in reading and writing could pull the overall proficiency rating back to somewhere in the intermediate range.

Clearly, however, the challenge here is (1) for current learners to be able to draw on existing strengths to help "catch up" in the others, and (2) future approaches guarantee a balanced approach to skills from the outset.

Also, I want to inform you that your writing and commenting is showing outstanding development! Your comments are much more concise and appear more controlled and thoughtful. That's really great to see, and I am very happy to see that you have been not only seeking me out for 1-1 advice on this matter, but actually putting the advice into practice.

You've got a lot of potential, young man!

Take care,

~ Jason

Jason Renshaw
Jason Renshaw
Admin
Admin

http://onlinEnglish.net

Back to top Go down

[OP]What are the different stages of English proficiency and how might you describe each? Empty It's almost the same.

Post  Seyoung Yoon Sun Apr 06 2008, 20:30

The article concerined with English Stages is almost the same body paragraph. I wrote my article with the topic you wrote, I can compare my writing and yours. The result was quite similar. The difference you and me is that I concentrated more on each stage's learner's behavior. I've got an insight in the sentences you described the reason why the stages can be classified. That was very fresh hook that I didn't think about!

Last edited by Seyoung Yoon on Sun Apr 06 2008, 20:32; edited 1 time in total
Seyoung Yoon
Seyoung Yoon
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

[OP]What are the different stages of English proficiency and how might you describe each? Empty I made a mistake.

Post  Seyoung Yoon Sun Apr 06 2008, 20:32

So I wanted to delete this reply, but I don't know how. I cannot but leaving this reply like this way.
Seyoung Yoon
Seyoung Yoon
Wizard
Wizard

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down