English Advance!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Journal Entry 1

2 posters

Go down

Journal Entry 1 Empty Journal Entry 1

Post  Kanghoon Jang Fri Apr 11 2008, 10:58

There is “Dog Days of Summer” in Korea. That’s a loose translation of the three important dates which fall at the height of summer, and therefore the peak of the season’s heat: Chobok, Jungbok and Malbok. On each day Koreans have traditionally eaten something hot, with the theory of fighting fire with fire. Especially, old people would like to eat dog meat which we call Boshintang for their health.

My parent and my grandma usually eat dog meat that day too. So, they always want me to try but when I try it, I always pop out my lovely dog that I fed when I was in childhood. I still remember that he always shakes his tale with big smile when I give him some food and he always goes with me when we take a walk. I cannot forget him in my mind. That’s why when I see dog meat even trying it, I feel really weird because I feel I am eating a companion that follows and trusts me.

Some people could ask me that how could you eat chicken, pork and beef? I think if I feed them, I could not eat them. At least to me, the feeling of feeding animals makes me strange when I eat those animals. I feel that it would be better not to see the scene of killing animals that we are supposed to eat.

It has been a Korean culinary tradition for hundreds of years. So we do not have any justification to criticize those who always eat dog meat in terms of the view of relativity. However, when I see them, I am still sentimental because of my experience of feeding animals.
Kanghoon Jang
Kanghoon Jang
Superstar!
Superstar!

Back to top Go down

Journal Entry 1 Empty Re: Journal Entry 1

Post  Younghee choi Fri Apr 11 2008, 21:57

Speaking of dog meat, it reminds me of the poignant criticism from Bridget Bardo, a French actress. To be frank, a few years ago, I actually was taken to a restaurant where dog meat was sold. I tried a piece and stopped eating any more because I felt guilty. Like you, I was reminded of the dog in my grandma's place.

It is hard to say we are barbarians because we eat dog meat.
Eating dog meat is just a culture thing just as we can't blame a country where people eat monkey's brain.
Younghee choi
Younghee choi
Superstar!
Superstar!

Back to top Go down