English Advance!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Summary the survey

2 posters

Go down

Summary the survey Empty Summary the survey

Post  Young Thu May 01 2008, 20:45

Survey to Improve 6 English Abilities

A survey about how to improve 6 English abilities- reading, writing, listening, speaking, grammar, and vocabulary is done to the students in KNU. Students' opinions are various and different.

The first questions is what your tip top for improving reading ability in English is? A common opinion is reading a lot and keeping reading. Hyun-a adds remembering lot of vocabularies reading, and Jason points out that it is better to read materials that interest us. On the other hand, Sujin mentions that not stoping reading to find the meaning of the words that we don't understand. In my opinion, however, for beginners, it is necessary to use a dictionary to look up difficult words.

With the questions of recommendation for writing proficiency, two students, Kanghoon and Whan-gi say writing as much as possible is best way for writing. Namsook says that reading good articles which can be the base for writing. In addition to this, I suggest to adapt good points from the reading.

The third question is how to become better with English listening skills. All students' main point is watching dramas and movies in English to make us be familiar with real English. Plus, Sera adds to repeat speaking what we are listening. I guess when we watch English programs, it is better not to allow subtitles on the screen.

The fourth question is what the number one priority in becoming a more able speaker of English is. For this question, each student's opinion is different. Namsook says going to language school and talking more. Kanghoon tells studying English grammar. Ingab mentions practicing real conversation with natives speakers. While these four students' opinions are practical, Jason's opinion is an inner aspect. He says being risk taker and not being sensitive ai mistake and misunderstanding. I agree with Jason's opinion since concerns about afraid of mistakes is the biggest problem almost English learners have.

Regarding a better understanding of grammar, some students relate grammar to reading or sentences. Whangi tells that it is better to start with basic grammar. Plus, I think it is effective to find specific grammar patterns reading.

The last question is that what we would say to someone who waht to improve their English vocabulary. Whangi and Namsook suggest to apply vocabularies to daily lives. Kanghoon emphasizes to keep memorizing. Sera has a specific opinion- studying vocabulary with group of synonym or same affix. However, I think it is also important to read a lot because we can see memorizing comes naturally by seeing words many times.

According to this survey, we can find those 6 English abilities are related. Grammar and vocabulary are the basic abilities for other 4 abilities. Also, listening, speaking, and reading are connected. All in all, answerers agree that it is important to apply studying English including these 6 abilities to our real lives.

Last edited by Young on Mon May 05 2008, 19:30; edited 5 times in total
Young
Young
Superstar!
Superstar!

Back to top Go down

Summary the survey Empty Re: Summary the survey

Post  Jason Renshaw Mon May 05 2008, 08:34

Hi Hee-young,

Thanks so much for posting this report early.

I have posted my own example online, so please feel free to edit yours if mine gives you some new models or insights. What you have posted here is a very good start, but it is - well - somewhat brief? I'd love to read more analysis and conclusions from you...!

Good to see you (and Nam-sook, Jong-woo, Kang-hoon, and In-kab) at KOTESOL on Saturday. What dedicated students you are!

Best wishes,

~ Jason
Jason Renshaw
Jason Renshaw
Admin
Admin

http://onlinEnglish.net

Back to top Go down